Boston College Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jaydizzle

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:39 pm

RPK34 wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
spicymeatball111 wrote:Received a notice that my application is on hold until January or February, not really sure what to do with this. Is a hold better or worse than a WL? guess i will start writing a LOCI...

It is better. You will be reconsidered for acceptance, waitlist, or denial. When did you find out?

So there are three options. If you get waitlisted, you're in the same boat as the waitlisted crown. And those who are waitlisted will be considered for acceptance or denial. So how does that make it any difference from a waitlist?

The real difference is that people on hold will be considered before they consider waitlisted people. Law schools know what their yield will generally be and they have a decent idea of what students will matriculate. They will probably move to the hold pile if they aren't close enough to their targeted number of acceptances. Waitlists are for when they have moved past seat deposits and know they have extra seats.

There you are. This is a much better explanation than I gave hah.

spicymeatball111

Postby spicymeatball111 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:01 pm

excellent response, thanks. i went DR on 12/20, and received a letter in the mail on 12/23

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:09 pm

At this point, I am hoping for a hold and even a waitlist. What's the waitlist at BC like? In the last couple years have a decent amount of people gotten off?

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:55 pm

It's funny how BU takes your highest LSAT but BC averages...

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:51 am

kkklick wrote:It's funny how BU takes your highest LSAT but BC averages...

but you can bet they report the highest LSAT for ranking purposes:)

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:46 pm

Wow, thanks BC. They made sure I got my rejection right in time for Christmas. I'm sorry, but that's just classless... What a nice holiday gift-set for me. I get a nice GMU Christmas card then a rejection the next day, and now I get a DR with BC and a rejection promptly issued for Christmas. I guess they just couldn't wait but to reject me...

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:54 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Wow, thanks BC. They made sure I got my rejection right in time for Christmas. I'm sorry, but that's just classless... What a nice holiday gift-set for me. I get a nice GMU Christmas card then a rejection the next day, and now I get a DR with BC and a rejection promptly issued for Christmas. I guess they just couldn't wait but to reject me...

That's so not cool! Sorry jaydizzle. :(

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:59 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Wow, thanks BC. They made sure I got my rejection right in time for Christmas. I'm sorry, but that's just classless... What a nice holiday gift-set for me. I get a nice GMU Christmas card then a rejection the next day, and now I get a DR with BC and a rejection promptly issued for Christmas. I guess they just couldn't wait but to reject me...

That's so not cool! Sorry jaydizzle. :(

What sucks even more is I can't find work right now either heh. It would be nice to get some good news in some regard whether it is law school related or just anything right about now.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:55 pm

Geez...that is low of BC. I'm sorry jaydizzle :(

P.S. Gemini, I like the added Christmas spirit to your avatar.

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:02 am

Anyone know where BC mails decision letters? On the online status check it mentions the permanent address, but I went DR on 12/14 and never received anything...

(I never got the admissions email, so I know it's bad news...but where is it??)

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:01 am

Thanks, QL! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Also, I got my hold letter really quickly. Someone who got WL was waiting a really long time before the letter came (like 2 weeks). However, I have no idea if the length of time between the letters signifies anything.

Birdlaw

Postby Birdlaw » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:58 pm

A couple of questions for people on this thread, I've been under review since 11/22.

Does the hold decision show up on your status checker?
I'm currently back home for the holidays so I was wondering if I might have gotten that decision in the mail without seeing it on the internet.

When should I send a LOCI?
I really want to go to BC. From what I've heard January seems to be the time to send them in, but I am under review so should I wait for a decision or beat them to the punch?

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:12 pm

Birdlaw wrote:A couple of questions for people on this thread, I've been under review since 11/22.

Does the hold decision show up on your status checker?
I'm currently back home for the holidays so I was wondering if I might have gotten that decision in the mail without seeing it on the internet.

When should I send a LOCI?
I really want to go to BC. From what I've heard January seems to be the time to send them in, but I am under review so should I wait for a decision or beat them to the punch?

Yes, it will still say decision rendered on the status checker. However, you won't have anything other than mailings.

AS far as LOCI, this was discussed in the last couple pages. Someone who got admitted off the waitlist sent them pretty regularly. Probably the best bet.

BlueDevil2007

Postby BlueDevil2007 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:47 pm

UR 10/28

Nothing heard as of 12/27. I'm guessing this means my numbers are marginal.

3.4/165

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:15 am

BlueDevil2007 wrote:UR 10/28

Nothing heard as of 12/27. I'm guessing this means my numbers are marginal.

3.4/165

Check lsn. You might have a shot but you are below both medians.

JKill01

Postby JKill01 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:17 pm

Am I the only one DR on 12/22 with no response either way? There's nothing under mailings so I'm assuming it's not good news. It just seems like I should have got something...

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:35 pm

JKill01 wrote:Am I the only one DR on 12/22 with no response either way? There's nothing under mailings so I'm assuming it's not good news. It just seems like I should have got something...

Nah I'm right there with you. Although my decision came down on 12/14...

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:02 am

I feel like this is a dumb question, but here goes...

I'm finishing up a PI scholarship application for another school that's due in a couple days, so I thought I'd check BC's reqs to see if I can recycle the essay or if I should start working up something new. i checked the email they sent a while back, and it says they're "inviting applications". However, on the site http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/admission ... cholarship
I can't figure out exactly how to "apply" for it. It seems that the committee would just review your app and let you know if you need to interview.

Am I just missing something here...?

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:04 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:I feel like this is a dumb question, but here goes...

I'm finishing up a PI scholarship application for another school that's due in a couple days, so I thought I'd check BC's reqs to see if I can recycle the essay or if I should start working up something new. i checked the email they sent a while back, and it says they're "inviting applications". However, on the site http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/admission ... cholarship
I can't figure out exactly how to "apply" for it. It seems that the committee would just review your app and let you know if you need to interview.

All I could find was: "Does BC Law School have a separate application for its scholarships, grants and institutional loans?
No….By completing the Need Access you will automatically be reviewed for our need-based scholarships, grants, and loans." But it looks like that's only RE: need-based...

I'd call the school if I were you. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:36 am

krad wrote:

All I could find was: "Does BC Law School have a separate application for its scholarships, grants and institutional loans?
No….By completing the Need Access you will automatically be reviewed for our need-based scholarships, grants, and loans." But it looks like that's only RE: need-based...

Ok, just sent an email. I'll update you guys when I hear back. I just wanted to check first that I wasn't missing an obvious link. Thanks krad!

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:48 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
krad wrote:

Ok, just sent an email. I'll update you guys when I hear back. I just wanted to check first that I wasn't missing an obvious link. Thanks krad!

Seriously! I searched around for a bit and there was nothing there...

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:49 am

Got an auto-reply that they're closed until Jan 3, so we'll have to wait and see :-)

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:51 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Got an auto-reply that they're closed until Jan 3, so we'll have to wait and see :-)

Ah boo, we want decisions! :D

laurencita7

Postby laurencita7 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:54 am

krad wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
krad wrote:

Seriously! I searched around for a bit and there was nothing there...

i had the same problem, so I sent an email before the break, and they said it's on the main admissions page, and they were right, just scroll down below the status checker link, under "news" or something like that, it's there, a link to a PDF app.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:56 am

Crraaaap, shoulda waited 15 minutes to send that...

ETA: They really ought to link that on the fin aid page about the scholarship.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”