Boston College Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lhlee

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby lhlee » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:41 pm

JenDarby wrote:
lhlee wrote:I also received the "on hold" letter today. I was expecting an outright rejection, so I guess this is a good thing. Kind of. I seriously hope that I was not put on hold because my app was reviewed by a Celtics fan (I briefly mentioned the Lakers in my ps).

Anyways, best wishes to those on hold and congrats to those who got in!

You do realize BC is in Boston, right? :wink:

Most definitely. Now that I think about it, it would be a great LOCI: "I am a lifelong Lakers fan, but I love BC so much that I am willing to share the same city with the Celtics." They might stop reading after the first six words though ):

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:46 pm

I think I would also add..." I am willing to endure the theatrics of Paul Pierce and the annoying Kevin Garnett, as long as I get to wear my kobe jersey to the games and not get killed....this is how much I would love to attend your law school." :)

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:48 pm

lhlee wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
lhlee wrote:I also received the "on hold" letter today. I was expecting an outright rejection, so I guess this is a good thing. Kind of. I seriously hope that I was not put on hold because my app was reviewed by a Celtics fan (I briefly mentioned the Lakers in my ps).

Most definitely. Now that I think about it, it would be a great LOCI: "I am a lifelong Lakers fan, but I love BC so much that I am willing to share the same city with the Celtics." They might stop reading after the first six words though ):

I'm right there with you on that! Also a lifelong Lakers fan, I spent a lot of time in Boston over the past few months, surrounded by Celtics jerseys, and managed to survive. I'm in Portland right now, where people genuinely believe the Blazers are better than the Lakers, so it could be worse...

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:49 pm

lhlee wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

I just died a little inside.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:37 pm

RPK34 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:Was 12/20 DR and just got a hold letter today. They will mail final decisions to hold candidates by 2/28/11. So this makes my status checker useless till then!!

Should I send a LOCI?

Yes, but I would wait off on sending it till around mid-February. Sorry to hear on the hold though.

To each their own, but when I was waitlisted in January last cycle, I sent a LOCI back right away, in the same envelope with my waitlist response form. I then sent another with each deposit due date, as I figured that's when they'd be making waitlist decisions. Dunno if that strategy was better than waiting on the initial LOCI, but it worked for me.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:41 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
RPK34 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:Was 12/20 DR and just got a hold letter today. They will mail final decisions to hold candidates by 2/28/11. So this makes my status checker useless till then!!

Should I send a LOCI?

Yes, but I would wait off on sending it till around mid-February. Sorry to hear on the hold though.

To each their own, but when I was waitlisted in January last cycle, I sent a LOCI back right away, in the same envelope with my waitlist response form. I then sent another with each deposit due date, as I figured that's when they'd be making waitlist decisions. Dunno if that strategy was better than waiting on the initial LOCI, but it worked for me.

Did you write something different for each LOCI?

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:03 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
RPK34 wrote:

Should I send a LOCI?

Certainly not gong to argue if it worked for you. I was just thinking something closer when they're making their decision would have more impact than one sent a couple months ago.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:05 pm

Well I'll definitely send it after the break. I sent a really sappy one to them last year. This year, I'm just gonna get real and try to not mince words. Would anyone care to take a look once its done?

JusticeHarlan? As a 1L who got off the WL, you'd be a great help! :mrgreen: No pressure!

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:10 am

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Did you write something different for each LOCI?

Yeah, though by the last one I was out of anything interesting to say; I think they got progressively shorter. One was a general "why BC" that I hadn't really included in my initial app, second was an update on what I'd been up to, third was really a "still here, still interested" kinda letter.

RPK34 wrote:Certainly not gong to argue if it worked for you. I was just thinking something closer when they're making their decision would have more impact than one sent a couple months ago.

True, if you were only gonna send one, I'd sent it closer to when they're making decisions. But I figured you never really know when they're going to take that second or third look, so it would pay to have something there if they pulled out my file again.

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Well I'll definitely send it after the break. I sent a really sappy one to them last year. This year, I'm just gonna get real and try to not mince words. Would anyone care to take a look once its done?

JusticeHarlan? As a 1L who got off the WL, you'd be a great help! :mrgreen: No pressure!

Sure, pm me if you want, but I don't think I have anything really specific to say.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:49 am

Ludacrispat26 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

As someone who goes to school right outside Boston, let me say BC is totally, totally not in Boston.

As a BC 1L BC is definitely not in Boston lol.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:48 am

BCLS wrote:
Ludacrispat26 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

As someone who goes to school right outside Boston, let me say BC is totally, totally not in Boston.

As a BC 1L BC is definitely not in Boston lol.

For the purposes of a laker fan preferring to avoid moving into Celtic territory, but willing to sacrifice, semantics don't change that...

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:40 pm

DR yesterday and no news today. It looks like I got rejected just in time for Christmas.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:43 pm

jaydizzle wrote:DR yesterday and no news today. It looks like I got rejected just in time for Christmas.

perhaps you were admitted...it seems a lot of schools are closed now for break, so maybe thats why you've heard nothing. HTH

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:45 pm

JenDarby wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:DR yesterday and no news today. It looks like I got rejected just in time for Christmas.

perhaps you were admitted...it seems a lot of schools are closed now for break, so maybe thats why you've heard nothing. HTH

True, but those who went DR got their video acceptance things by email. Only me and another person from here didn't get it. Oh well, I like BC and it was a ridiculous reach. It's not like I didn't know this would happen.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:46 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

True, but those who went DR got their video acceptance things by email. Only me and another person from here didn't get it. Oh well, I like BC and it was a ridiculous reach. It's not like I didn't know this would happen.

Yeah, but I didn't get mine until two days after I was DR.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:48 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

If there's no one in the office, there's no one to send the emails! Maybe at least a waitlist then? Mailing out rejections so close to Christmas is not very nice....

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:49 pm

Decision Rendered yesterday...How does BC issue decisions? Mail?

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:50 pm

RPK34 wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

Yeah, but I didn't get mine until two days after I was DR.

Well that's good at least. I am trying to give myself reasons to see a rejection coming. I am a good amount below the 160 LSAT mark, so I am counting myself out constantly lol. I threw an app to BC because I kept hearing they were really holistic. I am going back and forth now debating what happened instead of just waiting for the letter heh. A part of me hopes they wouldn't send me a rejection right on Christmas, but the other part of me knows that I'm not that competitive of an applicant.

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:00 pm

Decision Rendered yesterday

Nothing under mailings

That usually means WL/reject right? Law School Predictor has me as "Admit" and I've gotten into a few better schools. Would BC yield protect for only a 165/mid 3.8?

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:11 pm

iwanta170 wrote:Decision Rendered yesterday

Nothing under mailings

That usually means WL/reject right? Law School Predictor has me as "Admit" and I've gotten into a few better schools. Would BC yield protect for only a 165/mid 3.8?

Hmm, I doubt it. You are a much better candidate than me. We will have to wait and see, but I think you are ok. Worst case hold for you or ultimate worst would be waitlist.

On a side note, GMU was real nasty to me. They sent me a Christmas card, and I was like wow this is nice. Next day I got a rejection lol.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:15 pm

jaydizzle wrote:

Nothing under mailings

Hmm, I doubt it. You are a much better candidate than me. We will have to wait and see, but I think you are ok. Worst case hold for you or ultimate worst would be waitlist.

On a side note, GMU was real nasty to me. They sent me a Christmas card, and I was like wow this is nice. Next day I got a rejection lol.

Harsh!

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:21 pm

krad wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:

Nothing under mailings

Harsh!

Yup, that totally pissed me off. I am sure they didn't mean it, but schools should try to be a little more careful and a little compassionate. My LSAT sucks, but I have an awesome GPA from a top school. It's not like I am totally that bad.

spicymeatball111

Postby spicymeatball111 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:30 pm

Received a notice that my application is on hold until January or February, not really sure what to do with this. Is a hold better or worse than a WL? guess i will start writing a LOCI...

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:34 pm

spicymeatball111 wrote:Received a notice that my application is on hold until January or February, not really sure what to do with this. Is a hold better or worse than a WL? guess i will start writing a LOCI...

It is better. You will be reconsidered for acceptance, waitlist, or denial. When did you find out?

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:36 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
spicymeatball111 wrote:Received a notice that my application is on hold until January or February, not really sure what to do with this. Is a hold better or worse than a WL? guess i will start writing a LOCI...

It is better. You will be reconsidered for acceptance, waitlist, or denial. When did you find out?

So there are three options. If you get waitlisted, you're in the same boat as the waitlisted crown. And those who are waitlisted will be considered for acceptance or denial. So how does that make it any difference from a waitlist?

The real difference is that people on hold will be considered before they consider waitlisted people. Law schools know what their yield will generally be and they have a decent idea of what students will matriculate. They will probably move to the hold pile if they aren't close enough to their targeted number of acceptances. Waitlists are for when they have moved past seat deposits and know they have extra seats.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”