Boston College Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mistermister

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby mistermister » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:01 am

does anybody have anything under Mailings? I thought I did, but now I don't.... could just be that I've look at way too many status checkers and they're all blurring together

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:25 am

mistermister wrote:does anybody have anything under Mailings? I thought I did, but now I don't.... could just be that I've look at way too many status checkers and they're all blurring together

no...stats?

ads222

Postby ads222 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:25 am

Bela wrote:I've been UR since 11/15 with credentials over both 75ths. I've come to the conclusion that it's really of no use asking "why haven't they told me yet?!". I think my application is really strong, but there must be some holistic ranking. Or maybe the admits are coming from certain committee members, etc. I just check my status every day and frown.

+1 -- same numbers situation, and same UR date. What kind of chaps my ass is that I was apparently holistically whole (or whatever) enough to clear the hurdle and get in at Boalt. Not to sound entitled, because I definitely don't feel that way, but I'm a little confused and annoyed by the process at BC.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:45 am

ads222 wrote:
Bela wrote:I've been UR since 11/15 with credentials over both 75ths. I've come to the conclusion that it's really of no use asking "why haven't they told me yet?!". I think my application is really strong, but there must be some holistic ranking. Or maybe the admits are coming from certain committee members, etc. I just check my status every day and frown.

+1 -- same numbers situation, and same UR date. What kind of chaps my ass is that I was apparently holistically whole (or whatever) enough to clear the hurdle and get in at Boalt. Not to sound entitled, because I definitely don't feel that way, but I'm a little confused and annoyed by the process at BC.

If you're above both 75ths at BC and got into Boalt, yet don't get into BC, it's obvious YP. What's so confusing? BC isn't obligated to extend you an offer of admission, especially if they have reason to doubt that you would matriculate.

Birdlaw

Postby Birdlaw » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:03 am

tttlllsss wrote:
ads222 wrote:

If you're above both 75ths at BC and got into Boalt, yet don't get into BC, it's obvious YP. What's so confusing? BC isn't obligated to extend you an offer of admission, especially if they have reason to doubt that you would matriculate.

+1. Why go to BC when you could go to Boalt?
Last edited by Birdlaw on Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:06 am

Birdlaw wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:
ads222 wrote:

MAny reasons...possibility of $$, prefers to live/work in a certain place, etc. Same reason I'm waiting on tenterhooks for BC and BU even though I already got in at GULC. Rank is not everything. :-)

+1. Why go to BC when you could go to Boalt?

ads222

Postby ads222 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:12 am

tttlllsss wrote:
ads222 wrote:

I understand what you're saying and am inclined to agree with you, but it's not like Boalt is Harvard numbers-wise, and my numbers are not very high above BC's 75th -- they don't scream "YP!!" to me. People with higher numbers than mine have been accepted at BC already. Plus, this process is turning me into a huge prostitution whore for scholarship money, and a sizable amount from BC could definitely influence my decision

Birdlaw

Postby Birdlaw » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:17 am

ads222 wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:
ads222 wrote:

I understand what you're saying and am inclined to agree with you, but it's not like Boalt is Harvard numbers-wise, and my numbers are not very high above BC's 75th -- they don't scream "YP!!" to me. People with higher numbers than mine have been accepted at BC already. Plus, this process is turning me into a huge prostitution whore for scholarship money, and a sizable amount from BC could definitely influence my decision

Boalt is still no accident you fall into. How long have you been under review? If you really want to study in Boston and BC hasn't made a decision, then send a LOCI in January. They would be glad to have you and certainty offer you some money. Think about it from their perspective, if they know you are getting into the T-14 (like you), then its pretty hard to give an "admit" without thinking you'll pick the T-14 and ignore your backup.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:00 pm

Is there anyone else out there that went decision rendered 12/10 who has not yet received anything in the mail?

firecracker

Postby firecracker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:05 pm

Just noticed my Status Checker changed to "Decision Rendered 12/14." Here's to obsessively checking my mailbox and hoping it's not a repeat ding from last year.... but I'm not holding my breath.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:11 pm

firecracker wrote:Just noticed my Status Checker changed to "Decision Rendered 12/14." Here's to obsessively checking my mailbox and hoping it's not a repeat ding from last year.... but I'm not holding my breath.

Has anything changed since last year?

And good luck, I'm in the same boat, but no DR yet.

LawSchoolApp11

Postby LawSchoolApp11 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:18 pm

firecracker wrote:Just noticed my Status Checker changed to "Decision Rendered 12/14." Here's to obsessively checking my mailbox and hoping it's not a repeat ding from last year.... but I'm not holding my breath.

Can I ask when you went complete/under review? Thanks!

firecracker

Postby firecracker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:19 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:

Has anything changed since last year?

And good luck, I'm in the same boat, but no DR yet.

Unfortunately not. I retook the LSAT in October but got the same score I already had. I did have additional LOR, another year of work experience and another personal statement. But those probably don't mean much without getting a higher LSAT.

Anyways, good luck to you! After going back on these boards, it looks like I have a ding since I don't have anything under "mailings."

firecracker

Postby firecracker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:21 pm

LawSchoolApp11 wrote:

UR 11/16

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:28 pm

firecracker wrote:
LawSchoolApp11 wrote:

UR 11/16

Me too! But I'm still under review. Please accept me, BC! My LSAT is one point higher and I have a different PS, and I also applied a bit earlier. But that's basically it. Oh, and I have an extra internship under my belt.

mistermister

Postby mistermister » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:33 pm

firecracker wrote:
LawSchoolApp11 wrote:

UR 11/16

+1

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:36 pm

I've been anxious about BC, but I suppose I should hold off a bit since I didn't go UR until 11/30, and it seems like there's a good chance I won't hear before the holidays.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:40 pm

ads222 wrote:I understand what you're saying and am inclined to agree with you, but it's not like Boalt is Harvard numbers-wise, and my numbers are not very high above BC's 75th -- they don't scream "YP!!" to me. People with higher numbers than mine have been accepted at BC already. Plus, this process is turning me into a huge prostitution whore for scholarship money, and a sizable amount from BC could definitely influence my decision

People with higher numbers than you have been accepted at BC because the probably applied earlier than you. It seems pretty clear they're sending out decisions that are generally in line with when people applied. I'd stop worrying about yield protects when you don't even have a decision yet.

firecracker

Postby firecracker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:56 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Me too! But I'm still under review. Please accept me, BC! My LSAT is one point higher and I have a different PS, and I also applied a bit earlier. But that's basically it. Oh, and I have an extra internship under my belt.

I forgot that I did apply earlier this cycle as well. Last year I applied after the new year (wayy late I know now). Wow. That's officially twice they've looked at my app in 2010. :?

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:16 pm

JakeL wrote:Is there anyone else out there that went decision rendered 12/10 who has not yet received anything in the mail?

Yes. #'s above both 75ths so I fear YP, but maybe they're just sending a really big acceptance package (yeah right).

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:18 pm

TheOcho wrote:
JakeL wrote:Is there anyone else out there that went decision rendered 12/10 who has not yet received anything in the mail?

Yes. #'s above both 75ths so I fear YP, but maybe they're just sending a really big acceptance package (yeah right).

This is one of the things I dont get about the app process. Your numbers are above both 75ths but that doesnt mean you wont go. I would assume they'd just defer you till a later applicant pool and see if you withdraw before then. But to reject a strong applicant makes no sense... unless of course they dont like you. :lol:

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
TheOcho wrote:

This is one of the things I dont get about the app process. Your numbers are above both 75ths but that doesnt mean you wont go. I would assume they'd just defer you till a later applicant pool and see if you withdraw before then. But to reject a strong applicant makes no sense... unless of course they dont like you. :lol:

Haha, ya it seems a little strange to me too. If this was the first school I was to hear from (I'm anticipating hold/WL/reject), I'd be nervous something was wrong with myself or my applications haha. Fortunately I already have acceptances at some other schools ranked much higher so I'll just take it with a grain of salt.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:20 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
firecracker wrote:
LawSchoolApp11 wrote:

UR 11/16

Same. I'm still UR as of 11/16.

NZA

Postby NZA » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:23 pm

Kinda too lazy to figure this out, but:

Does it seem like they're doing acceptances/wl/rejections in order of submission?

Some other schools, it seems a bit chaotic in terms of who goes UR and then an offer. Others, it seems to correlate pretty much entirely with time of submission. I'm having trouble keeping everyone straight in this thread. :P

brosef stalin

Postby brosef stalin » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:30 pm

Dinged. Got into Michigan today, though.

Numbers above both 75ths.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”