Boston College Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gemini

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby Gemini » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:05 pm

At least they didn't say no. They're just holding off on making a decision on you. I think you're still a great candidate.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:09 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:At least they didn't say no. They're just holding off on making a decision on you. I think you're still a great candidate.

God, I hate talking about myself because I sound like such a stuck-up jerkhead, but if I was so great, shouldn't it be a "no brainer?" Like, whoa, the ONLY thing this girls needs is a higher LSAT score, let's let her in!

To me, a hold and a waitlist is as good as a rejection... because MOST people on WL get rejected inevitably. But I appreciate your kind words just the same.

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:15 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:At least they didn't say no. They're just holding off on making a decision on you. I think you're still a great candidate.

God, I hate talking about myself because I sound like such a stuck-up jerkhead, but if I was so great, shouldn't it be a "no brainer?" Like, whoa, the ONLY thing this girls needs is a higher LSAT score, let's let her in!

To me, a hold and a waitlist is as good as a rejection... because MOST people on WL get rejected inevitably. But I appreciate your kind words just the same.

Then stop talking about yourself.

birD

Postby birD » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:23 pm

To me, a hold and a waitlist is as good as a rejection... because MOST people on WL get rejected inevitably.

If it makes you feel any better I'm right there with you. I dont know why but all these "holds" and "deferrals" is really depressing me and I've been feeling really crappy lately. Not fun dealing with all this while trying to focus on UG finals...

IsleMet

Postby IsleMet » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:28 pm

Has anyone heard back from the 11/30 Under Review group? I'm getting a little worried! I would loooove to end up at BC! With some money would be nice :-) ....166/3.6/Masters degree/2 years Teach for America/strong rec's/resume

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:29 pm

IsleMet wrote:Has anyone heard back from the 11/30 Under Review group? I'm getting a little worried! I would loooove to end up at BC! With some money would be nice :-) ....166/3.6/Masters degree/2 years Teach for America/strong rec's/resume

I'm in that group, and no, not from me. I didn't know there was anyone else who went UR that day, though!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:29 pm

birD wrote:
To me, a hold and a waitlist is as good as a rejection... because MOST people on WL get rejected inevitably.

If it makes you feel any better I'm right there with you. I dont know why but all these "holds" and "deferrals" is really depressing me and I've been feeling really crappy lately. Not fun dealing with all this while trying to focus on UG finals...

Well, it's nice to know I'm not alone. Do you have an LSN account, so I can follow along at home? (To quote my favorite thing ever: game shows!)

You know, I guess it's true what they say... misery loves company. :oops:

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:33 pm

TheOcho wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

As soon as this crappy process is over, I will be happy to. Writing the PS was bad enough.

Your name seems familiar, is it from a movie?

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:44 pm

Aggiegrad, I know you're upset with the hold thus far, but it's not a rejection of your accomplishments. BC is a Jesuit law school. I had eight years of Jesuit education (high school and college), and I know they are very much about fit. They'll turn down great applicants if they somehow get a feeling that maybe you're not the type of person who really wants to go there. Now, I don't know if this is the case, and I don't know how bad your LSAT is, but it's the only thing I can think of. But you will get accepted somewhere great. Just hang in there a little longer.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:47 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
TheOcho wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

As soon as this crappy process is over, I will be happy to. Writing the PS was bad enough.

Your name seems familiar, is it from a movie?

Probably a reference to Dodgeball.

Also, it seems like two things have led you to believe that you're entitled admission: first, that applicants w/ lower numbers and supposedly inferior softs have been admitted; second, that LSP had you listed as an "Admit".

With respect to the first, you should stop saying that right now, because you come across like a special flower when your softs are merely above-average; moreover, you'll never know how good your competitors' complete app packages were. Say what you will, but if BC has a truly holistic adcomm, and if competitors w/ lower numbers got in, then their apps really were superior to yours. It's one thing to be disappointed, but it's another thing entirely to stamp your feet going, "It's not fair!"

Second, LSP's algorithm is screwy for reverse-splitters like you. If you enter "4.3" & "156", it lists BC as an "Admit". Does that mean someone w/ 4.3, 156 stands a snowball's chance in hell of being admitted? Certainly not. When you're below a school's 25th percentile, absolutely NOTHING is guaranteed, stellar softs or not.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:59 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:Aggiegrad, I know you're upset with the hold thus far, but it's not a rejection of your accomplishments. BC is a Jesuit law school. I had eight years of Jesuit education (high school and college), and I know they are very much about fit. They'll turn down great applicants if they somehow get a feeling that maybe you're not the type of person who really wants to go there. Now, I don't know if this is the case, and I don't know how bad your LSAT is, but it's the only thing I can think of. But you will get accepted somewhere great. Just hang in there a little longer.

Ah, perhaps... well, I know you're a fellow reverse splitter, so thank you :) My LSAT isn't that bad percentile wise, but in the age of really trumped up competition, it's bad.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Probably a reference to Dodgeball.

Ah yeah, that's it.
Also, it seems like two things have led you to believe that you're entitled admission: first, that applicants w/ lower numbers and supposedly inferior softs have been admitted; second, that LSP had you listed as an "Admit".

I don't feel entitled in the very least, and I apologize for coming across that way. I'm just in shock, I guess, about the disparity of how I thought things were going to go and how they are going. I'm just disappointed. I have spent a lot of time perfecting my "package" as it were. I think the biggest flaw is probably overstating the importance of combat service. In any job that I've ever interviewed for since the Army, they've been held in awe of the fact that I went to the desert for 15 months and served my country. I s'pose law school AdComs have a different way of looking at things, which is fine. I'm just disappointed as you said. I'll get over it.
Second, LSP's algorithm is screwy for reverse-splitters like you. If you enter "4.3" & "156", it lists BC as an "Admit". Does that mean someone w/ 4.3, 156 stands a snowball's chance in hell of being admitted? Certainly not. When you're below a school's 25th percentile, absolutely NOTHING is guaranteed, stellar softs or not.

This is an excellent point. I read that splitters can have unpredictable cycles as well, and I should have made the warranted assumption that a reverse splitter would be exactly the same. I guess I figured that LSP uses ACTUAL data points as part of its analysis, therefore if it said "admit", it had a good reason to (i.e., lots of people with the numbers had gotten in." But, I'm a total math moron who stopped at Pre-Calc, so that could be a flawed assumption.

I am sorry for coming across so bratty... because I'm totally not. It is a shock going from top dog to bottom of the barrel, though. Gonna have to get used to it. I've heard it called "big fish little pond" syndrome... it's probably appropriate.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:23 pm

I feel like a real, Grade A, ass. Sorry all. :oops:

Thanks for the excellent rationality check tls^3.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:43 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I feel like a real, Grade A, ass. Sorry all. :oops:

You are making me feel like shit even more since I bombed the LSAT more than you did and you are complaining. Na, it's ok. I understand where you are coming from. I am pretty much in the same boat and probably in a worse predicament. I am actually hoping more of my choices turn to be waitlists so I can get into one of them. Pretty much all is riding on my instate option or my super reach which I want to attend. If I don't get in then shit, I have to retake this damn tests and hope I don't score way way below my practice range again. I don't know what the hell happened, but it's as if every question felt so foreign to me on the real thing.

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:44 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:Aggiegrad, I know you're upset with the hold thus far, but it's not a rejection of your accomplishments. BC is a Jesuit law school. I had eight years of Jesuit education (high school and college), and I know they are very much about fit.

BC being Jesuit is really the only reason I applied.

And LSATNightmares is right: Jesuit education hearkens back to days when education meant more than prestige. It meant bettering oneself and the world. The modern empiricist ideals of numbers and statistics do not necessarily mesh well with the Jesuit ideals of human dignity.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:52 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I feel like a real, Grade A, ass. Sorry all. :oops:

You are making me feel like shit even more since I bombed the LSAT more than you did and you are complaining. Na, it's ok. I understand where you are coming from. I am pretty much in the same boat and probably in a worse predicament. I am actually hoping more of my choices turn to be waitlists so I can get into one of them. Pretty much all is riding on my instate option or my super reach which I want to attend. If I don't get in then shit, I have to retake this damn tests and hope I don't score way way below my practice range again. I don't know what the hell happened, but it's as if every question felt so foreign to me on the real thing.

It felt foreign to me too. There is speculation that LSAC, wise as they are, is changing the way they word questions to prevent "test prep" from being the go-to strategy and turning the LSAT back into an aptitude, rather than achievement, test. That'd be my hypothesis anyway.

Yeah, I didn't really consider anyone else's feelings in this thread, and I apologize for that - Won't happen again. I guess we're all devastated (except the fortunate admittees!) so it's selfish of me to consider myself special. Lots of dings, waitlists and holds probably went out in the past few days. Sure seems like most people on TLS are reporting admissions though.

Re: NZA and Jesuit ideals. I wrote my PS strongly geared toward what I want to and plan to do in order to effect change through my practice, even if it's something as simple as helping someone who otherwise wouldn't have an advocate in our legal system. IN fact, my undergraduate education has focused on that, too, so if they looked at the classes I've taken, they could see my distinct, honest, earnest intention to serve the public's interest! It's more than lip service for me... I've gotten a lot from this country and the world, and I do want to give some back. Maybe that's why I got "held" instead of dinged. We'll never know I guess.

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:57 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:RE: NZA and Jesuit ideals. I wrote my PS strongly geared toward what I want to and plan to do in order to effect change through my practice, even if it's something as simple as helping someone who otherwise wouldn't have an advocate in our legal system. IN fact, my undergraduate education has focused on that, too, so if they looked at the classes I've taken, they could see my distinct, honest, earnest intention to serve the public's interest! It's more than lip service for me... I've gotten a lot from this country and the world, and I do want to give some back. Maybe that's why I got "held" instead of dinged. We'll never know I guess.

Could be! AMDG, as the Jesuits say. Ad maiorem Dei gloriam (for the greater glory of God. Look around any Jesuit institution, and you will find AMDG plastered everywhere. :P Almost got a tattoo of it on my wrist).

If you're a religious person, perhaps the Universe is directing you down a different path than the one you necessarily want or desire. You can't take that personally, though, or as a judgement of your value as a human. :) You must take it as simply a calling towards something greater and better for you and the world, I guess.

Anyway, that's the attitude I'm going into this whole process with. Because I know I'm going to get screwed/dinged/wtv at some point from somewhere that I really want to go to.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:12 pm

Yeah, if you're LSAT is that bad that someone would ordinarily get dinged, you should consider it as a testament to your softs that they have you are on hold.

Yup, AMDG! The Jesuits are all about being "men and women for others."

Ludacrispat26

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:16 pm

I know it's Jesuit, but is there a religious vibe at BC? I wouldn't want that (at all)...

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:18 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:I know it's Jesuit, but is there a religious vibe at BC? I wouldn't want that (at all)...

No. Again, aside from seeing AMDG all over and a chapel, maybe a crucifix or two, you can ask anyone attending Jesuit schools and they will agree that the most Christian/religious influence will be felt in the emphasis on social justice, etc.

In other words: it's there if you want it, it's practically invisible if you don't. :)

LSATNightmares wrote:Yup, AMDG! The Jesuits are all about being "men and women for others."

:D

lawgrl21

Postby lawgrl21 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:19 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:I know it's Jesuit, but is there a religious vibe at BC? I wouldn't want that (at all)...

I was wondering the same thing. When I toured at Fordham they seemed to make a point to say that although they are technically a religiously affiliated school the school feels really secular..

Ludacrispat26

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:31 pm

lawgrl21 wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. When I toured at Fordham they seemed to make a point to say that although they are technically a religiously affiliated school the school feels really secular..

That's good considering Fordham's where I've been accepted thus far. I went to Catholic school my whole life up until college, so it wouldn't be mind-blowing, but rather annoying.

lostone

Postby lostone » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:51 pm

Have all the 12/10 folk heard any news yet? I'm still waiting for e or snail mail....

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:53 pm

I can't speak for BC, but the "it's there if you want it, not there if you don't want it" was certainly true of Georgetown where I did my undergrad. Jesuit colleges don't try to impose religion on you like in grammar/middle/high school, as you're an adult who can make your own decisions. However, some secular students got annoyed that at Georgetown, there are certain restrictions due to its Catholic identiy (no birth control available at the medical center, an official policy against co-habitation at dorms, no toleration for pro-choice student clubs or speakers). I imagine it would be very similar at BC, but the Catholic emphasis will mostly be on social justice.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:54 pm

Sigh. I never understood the no birth control thing. Let the people run wild!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”