Boston College Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Aggiegrad2011

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:43 pm

SarPear wrote:depends how you look at it i guess... you could be on the waitlist for ages and not hear a response till august, whereas at least for the hold there is a specific date. Then again, that decision could be a rejection, or a waitlist in which case it is worse or the same as a waitlist.

heh, yeah, which is why it seems basically the same as a WL... Just a bit shorter of a timeline I guess. Well, I sent my "love you" letter to BC and am planning a visit like I said so I dunno. Blah. Why do only TT schools want me. :(

jamiLAW

Postby jamiLAW » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:22 pm

Birdlaw wrote:
jamiLAW wrote:Husband? What was all that "one in a million" talk?

+1, Don't worry! I'm a limo driver.

Thank you for +1'ing that, everyone else ignored it and I was about to feel really immature lol

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:34 pm

Well, nothing in the mail from BC today either, just a big packet from a school I never applied to (Utah) and immunization forms from Iowa. Hopefully an e-mail shows up sometime today.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:45 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Shit. Waitlisted via snail mail. :( Not looking good.

I'm sorry Aggie. :( At least you'll know by the end of February. Just curious, did you apply to W&M? I think most people prefer them to W&L, and they LOOOOVVVEE veterans.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:49 pm

law_monkey wrote:

I'm sorry Aggie. :( At least you'll know by the end of February. Just curious, did you apply to W&M? I think most people prefer them to W&L, and they LOOOOVVVEE veterans.

Nope, I didn't apply to W&M. Oh well. Life goes on. I'm sure I'll enjoy my pretty much free ride @ McGeorge.

:|

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:50 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Nope, I didn't apply to W&M. Oh well. Life goes on. I'm sure I'll enjoy my pretty much free ride @ McGeorge.

Hey, you've been WL not dinged. That means you still have a chance at all these places!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:51 pm

law_monkey wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Hey, you've been WL not dinged. That means you still have a chance at all these places!

Well, "held" at BC, whatever that means, sounds like another way of saying wait-list.

True, Wl is not a ding, but it might as well be. If they can't admit me now, why would they magically admit me later?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:55 pm

Well, "held" at BC, whatever that means, sounds like another way of saying wait-list.

True, Wl is not a ding, but it might as well be. If they can't admit me now, why would they magically admit me later?

Usually with WL they're not 100% sure, but they want to hold onto you to see how the rest of their class seems to go. If people don't actually matriculate or they want your stellar 4.0 to protect their stats you'll get a nod from them. Or the other schools.

jamiLAW

Postby jamiLAW » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:59 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:True, Wl is not a ding, but it might as well be. If they can't admit me now, why would they magically admit me later?

As Gemini Hopeful just said, Boston College is known for being very holistic in their admissions, so in a way, BC is the ideal school to try your waitlist efforts at. If you send in letters of continued interest and give them persuasive reasons to admit you, i.e. it's your top choice, you want to get involved in specific organizations, etc., then you still have a shot.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:11 pm

jamiLAW wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:True, Wl is not a ding, but it might as well be. If they can't admit me now, why would they magically admit me later?

As Gemini Hopeful just said, Boston College is known for being very holistic in their admissions, so in a way, BC is the ideal school to try your waitlist efforts at. If you send in letters of continued interest and give them persuasive reasons to admit you, i.e. it's your top choice, you want to get involved in specific organizations, etc., then you still have a shot.

Certainly that is my intent. I can't think of any way to say, "I want to go here!!!" than flying to Boston from CA to visit the school, and of course, do the typical program-talk, etc.

Usually with WL they're not 100% sure, but they want to hold onto you to see how the rest of their class seems to go

So since we were kind of comparing hold v. WL, are you saying that hold is more like, "We would accept you if you'd applied 1.5 months before the other person with a 162/4.01 military vet applied"? LOL. I guess that's prolly about how it goes too. They only can accept so much 161/162 before their numbers get affected so, I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles. Promising to be a REALLY long cycle though.

At some point I have to tell UoP whether I'm going or not, April 15 I think. If I still haven't been pulled off the UCLA WL by then I have no idea what I'm going to do. Why doesn't Cornell accept me so I can stop thinking about it. LOL. :evil:

NZA

Postby NZA » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:16 pm

I think "On Hold" is sort of courtesy status. They are literally setting your file aside for a while to say how the rest of the class is shaping up.

You know? So being on hold isn't necessarily a bad thing in terms of getting in or not.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:41 pm

My app is being reviewed :shock: . Eek! From what I've read on here, though, it looks like I'm in for a bit of a wait... Here's to waiting, bleh!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:45 pm

NZA wrote:I think "On Hold" is sort of courtesy status. They are literally setting your file aside for a while to say how the rest of the class is shaping up.

You know? So being on hold isn't necessarily a bad thing in terms of getting in or not.

That's an interesting take on it. The letter does say that they are just not able to offer admission to me right now, I'm guessing because they want to see if they get someone else with a 4.00+ that has a better LSAT score? I dunno. But thanks for the encouragement :D Still a lot of boxes to fill up on my LSP Faux Spreadsheet but so far, there's more yellow than green. :(

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:59 pm

I know I'm late in the game, but I'm in! My work has blocked gmail access, so I had to have my sister log into my email account all day and let me know if I got the email. I ended up getting a text message in the middle of a teleconference call with a client, and I nearly started crying and screaming from joy in the middle of the meeting but had to compose myself.

I have 162 and 3.85 with four years solid work experience. Applied 10/30.

Aggiegrad, I'm really sorry to hear about your status! You're probably overqualified, as I know your stats were better than mine. But don't give up! I ended up getting off the waitlist at my undergrad institution, and they only took 1% off the waitlist. You can beat the odds! You just need to show them how much you're interested in the program.

Congrats to many of you on the board! I may just being seeing you as a classmate!

krad

Postby krad » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:02 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:I know I'm late in the game, but I'm in! My work has blocked gmail access, so I had to have my sister log into my email account all day and let me know if I got the email. I ended up getting a text message in the middle of a teleconference call with a client, and I nearly started crying and screaming from joy in the middle of the meeting but had to compose myself.

Aggiegrad, I'm really sorry to hear about your status! You're probably overqualified, as I know your stats were better than mine. But don't give up! I ended up getting off the waitlist at my undergrad institution, and they only took 1% off the waitlist. You can beat the odds! You just need to show them how much you're interested in the program.

Congrats to many of you on the board! I may just being seeing you as a classmate!

What a pain, but congrats!!

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:07 pm

krad wrote:
LSATNightmares wrote:I know I'm late in the game, but I'm in! My work has blocked gmail access, so I had to have my sister log into my email account all day and let me know if I got the email. I ended up getting a text message in the middle of a teleconference call with a client, and I nearly started crying and screaming from joy in the middle of the meeting but had to compose myself.

What a pain, but congrats!!

Congrats LSATN and krad, is that you in the avatar?

lostone

Postby lostone » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:55 pm

rendered 12/10 and still no word? hopefully tomorrow?

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:57 pm

lostone wrote:rendered 12/10 and still no word? hopefully tomorrow?

yeah me too. I'm in CA. Thinking it may be that "Hold" letter. Noooooooooo :!:

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:31 pm

Well no email or snail mail as I'm on the left coast. Sounds like sh!t list for me.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:35 pm

JakeL wrote:Well no email or snail mail as I'm on the left coast. Sounds like sh!t list for me.

I'm there with you.

Fucking LSAT.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:42 am

Sent in my app today (I know, I am late in the game by TLS standards). It is a bit of a reach for me I think...but here's to hoping! I really love Boston.

sandwichday

Postby sandwichday » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:50 am

This waiting is making me nuts! UR since 11/14 and nothing! Oh when oh when will I hear from you, BC?

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:56 am

sandwichday wrote:This waiting is making me nuts! UR since 11/14 and nothing! Oh when oh when will I hear from you, BC?

+1 but 11/16. The wait is mental torture.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:57 am

I was really hoping to hear from BC before my graduation. But oh well.

mm202

Postby mm202 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:08 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
sandwichday wrote:This waiting is making me nuts! UR since 11/14 and nothing! Oh when oh when will I hear from you, BC?

+1 but 11/16. The wait is mental torture.

Also 11/16 - constantly checking status checkers/TLS instead of preparing for finals... :roll:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”