Boston College Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:31 pm

I appreciate the "patience!" sentiment, I really do, especially since in the Army we had a saying, "hurry up and wait." But when a school you're >75th's on isn't even taking you, and someone with lower score/GPA is getting into schools that you applied to pretty early in the cycle it's depressing.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:34 pm

Yeah, I feel you. But if you're over their 75ths, you're not on top on their list of people most likely to matriculate. They might be waiting to see how the class fills up, or they might be thinking of YP. :-)

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:34 pm

NZA wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I just don't get this. I put together an immaculate application package replete with top notch LoRs and evaluations, a PS I drafted and had 3 scholars pore over for a month, a list of scholastic honors a mile long including publication, and military service... and people with lower numbers are getting in? I'm perplexed. I thought this was a numbers game, but then it's not a numbers game, but my softs/ECs are pretty great (I would suspect that law schools enjoy having a combat vet in their midst) and yet... I've been sitting in review since 11/05 for BC alone.

It makes me want to scream, seriously.


I totally understand...but keep the faith. They could be holding onto it for a million different reasons that have nothing to do with you. :) Could be admin thing, could be who knows what. Could be that they're holding onto it to consider you for scholarship skrilla.


You'd think I'd get a "decision rendered!" while they hold onto me then, or let me know what the hell is going on. LOL =-/

It's maddening to see so many people get in so fast. I realize my LSAT is kinda BLECH (ok, not kinda, very... 86th %tile I think?) but when someone with at least the same numbers as me getting in and I know I have better softs, I just don't know what to think. Now I am beginning to think I made an error in my PS or submitted something wrong... or something?

Could I go "into review" with a pending LSAT? I was originally scheduled for a December LSAT and when I submitted my apps, I had it on file. But shortly thereafter (3 days or so), I faxed my cancelation to LSAC directly, and also e-mailed every school I had applied to, and was assured by all parties that it was taken care of...

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:35 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Yeah, I feel you. But if you're over their 75ths, you're not on top on their list of people most likely to matriculate. They might be waiting to see how the class fills up, or they might be thinking of YP. :-)


See that doesn't make any sense to me at all. Wouldn't a school want someone really qualified in their class? Like, "QUICK grab them up!" That's how I envision this process anyway... As kind of a larger, more scary version of captains picking teams during high school P.E.

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby tttlllsss » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:37 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
NZA wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I just don't get this. I put together an immaculate application package replete with top notch LoRs and evaluations, a PS I drafted and had 3 scholars pore over for a month, a list of scholastic honors a mile long including publication, and military service... and people with lower numbers are getting in? I'm perplexed. I thought this was a numbers game, but then it's not a numbers game, but my softs/ECs are pretty great (I would suspect that law schools enjoy having a combat vet in their midst) and yet... I've been sitting in review since 11/05 for BC alone.

It makes me want to scream, seriously.


I totally understand...but keep the faith. They could be holding onto it for a million different reasons that have nothing to do with you. :) Could be admin thing, could be who knows what. Could be that they're holding onto it to consider you for scholarship skrilla.


You'd think I'd get a "decision rendered!" while they hold onto me then, or let me know what the hell is going on. LOL =-/

It's maddening to see so many people get in so fast. I realize my LSAT is kinda BLECH (ok, not kinda, very... 86th %tile I think?) but when someone with at least the same numbers as me getting in and I know I have better softs, I just don't know what to think. Now I am beginning to think I made an error in my PS or submitted something wrong... or something?

Could I go "into review" with a pending LSAT? I was originally scheduled for a December LSAT and when I submitted my apps, I had it on file. But shortly thereafter (3 days or so), I faxed my cancelation to LSAC directly, and also e-mailed every school I had applied to, and was assured by all parties that it was taken care of...


When you're below the LSAT 25th %ile, there really are no guarantees.

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:40 pm

Understandable! I totally get that. But what baffles me is how someone with even *lower* numbers (therefore even further under 25 %tile LSAT for instance) can be accepted while I still sit on the bench. I'm sure I'm coming off as quite precocious and arrogant right now and I really don't want to seem like that, but this is just really causing a lot of anxiety.

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby TheOcho » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:43 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Yeah, I feel you. But if you're over their 75ths, you're not on top on their list of people most likely to matriculate. They might be waiting to see how the class fills up, or they might be thinking of YP. :-)


See that doesn't make any sense to me at all. Wouldn't a school want someone really qualified in their class? Like, "QUICK grab them up!" That's how I envision this process anyway... As kind of a larger, more scary version of captains picking teams during high school P.E.


Yes. $$ Brings those 75ths to the school.

Also, breathe. You have a low LSAT and high GPA so your chances to predict going in are difficult. I've seen people with numbers worse than myself already accepted at schools I want to be in at and I'm sure I've been accepted at schools where students with higher numbers have not. It's going to be okay :)

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby TheOcho » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:44 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
When you're below the LSAT 25th %ile, there really are no guarantees.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:45 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Yeah, I feel you. But if you're over their 75ths, you're not on top on their list of people most likely to matriculate. They might be waiting to see how the class fills up, or they might be thinking of YP. :-)


See that doesn't make any sense to me at all. Wouldn't a school want someone really qualified in their class? Like, "QUICK grab them up!" That's how I envision this process anyway... As kind of a larger, more scary version of captains picking teams during high school P.E.


The adcomms are faced with a delicate balancing act between a) upping their medians/keeping them high and b) keeping their yield (the % of admitted people who matriculate) high. This is why scholly negotiation works- once you're in, they really want you to attend. So, if they think you're overqualified for their class and will only hurt their yield, they have incentive to WL or ding you. This is why sending in Why X essays is sometimes recommended.

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:46 pm

TheOcho wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Yeah, I feel you. But if you're over their 75ths, you're not on top on their list of people most likely to matriculate. They might be waiting to see how the class fills up, or they might be thinking of YP. :-)


See that doesn't make any sense to me at all. Wouldn't a school want someone really qualified in their class? Like, "QUICK grab them up!" That's how I envision this process anyway... As kind of a larger, more scary version of captains picking teams during high school P.E.


Yes. $$ Brings those 75ths to the school.

Also, breathe. You have a low LSAT and high GPA so your chances to predict going in are difficult. I've seen people with numbers worse than myself already accepted at schools I want to be in at and I'm sure I've been accepted at schools where students with higher numbers have not. It's going to be okay :)


Fair enough... It certainly is frustrating though.

Sometimes I think having TLS makes it easier, then sometimes I think it makes it harder to stay calm and just patiently tick the days away.

User avatar
scruffs mcguff
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:36 pm

Chill out. I was in review a month longer than you have been and just heard this week. You also have no way of knowing others' softs so you can't assume yours are better than anyone else's.

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:31 am

scruffs mcguff wrote:Chill out. I was in review a month longer than you have been and just heard this week. You also have no way of knowing others' softs so you can't assume yours are better than anyone else's.


Fair, although from reading a lot of WAMC threads, peoples' ideas of "really good" softs seem to be captain of the debate team or underwater basket weaving.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby law_monkey » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:05 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
scruffs mcguff wrote:Chill out. I was in review a month longer than you have been and just heard this week. You also have no way of knowing others' softs so you can't assume yours are better than anyone else's.


Fair, although from reading a lot of WAMC threads, peoples' ideas of "really good" softs seem to be captain of the debate team or underwater basket weaving.


I'm in the same boat as you are except that both of my numbers should be pretty solid for BC. But there's nothing we can really do about it and we don't know why it's taking so long, so the only thing to do is just sit back and wait. Our day will come! :D

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby Gemini » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:14 pm

Did people who had 'decision rendered' on their status checker followed by an acceptance video message have something about a letter being sent in 3-5 days in their status checker?

I'm asking because if an applicant is decision rendered (and accepted) but does not have this mentioned in the status checker, perhaps it would be a way to tell what the decision is.

Kiwi917
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby Kiwi917 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:17 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Did people who had 'decision rendered' on their status checker followed by an acceptance video message have something about a letter being sent in 3-5 days in their status checker?

I'm asking because if an applicant is decision rendered (and accepted) but does not have this mentioned in the status checker, perhaps it would be a way to tell what the decision is.


I had the 3-5 day message in my status checker and I received the acceptance video message.

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby tttlllsss » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:21 pm

Kiwi917 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:Did people who had 'decision rendered' on their status checker followed by an acceptance video message have something about a letter being sent in 3-5 days in their status checker?

I'm asking because if an applicant is decision rendered (and accepted) but does not have this mentioned in the status checker, perhaps it would be a way to tell what the decision is.


I had the 3-5 day message in my status checker and I received the acceptance video message.


Same here.

Also, has anyone received the admit packet yet? Does anyone when BC starts giving $$?

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby Perch » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Kiwi917 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:Did people who had 'decision rendered' on their status checker followed by an acceptance video message have something about a letter being sent in 3-5 days in their status checker?

I'm asking because if an applicant is decision rendered (and accepted) but does not have this mentioned in the status checker, perhaps it would be a way to tell what the decision is.


I had the 3-5 day message in my status checker and I received the acceptance video message.


stats?

User avatar
scruffs mcguff
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby scruffs mcguff » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:54 pm

FWIW the status checker said a letter would be mailed within 3-5 days of the date posted. So if it says Decision Rendered 12/6 they would put the letter in the mail between 12/9 and 12/12, right? Even if they put it in there 12/6 I wouldn't be getting mine until today at the earliest and haven't checked the mail yet.

User avatar
DorianGray89
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:19 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby DorianGray89 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:22 pm

Does anyone know how far BC is from Boston and is there public transportation to get from one to the other ?

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby TheOcho » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:33 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
scruffs mcguff wrote:Chill out. I was in review a month longer than you have been and just heard this week. You also have no way of knowing others' softs so you can't assume yours are better than anyone else's.


Fair, although from reading a lot of WAMC threads, peoples' ideas of "really good" softs seem to be captain of the debate team or underwater basket weaving.



Haha, but that truly is impressive.

Kiwi917
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby Kiwi917 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:37 pm

Perch wrote:
Kiwi917 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:Did people who had 'decision rendered' on their status checker followed by an acceptance video message have something about a letter being sent in 3-5 days in their status checker?

I'm asking because if an applicant is decision rendered (and accepted) but does not have this mentioned in the status checker, perhaps it would be a way to tell what the decision is.


I had the 3-5 day message in my status checker and I received the acceptance video message.


stats?

3.5x, 162/176 retake

User avatar
luckyme
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:41 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby luckyme » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:39 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:Does anyone know how far BC is from Boston and is there public transportation to get from one to the other ?


It's at the end of the Green Line

the law school is not connected to the main campus though
Last edited by luckyme on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby dakatz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:42 pm

luckyme wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:Does anyone know how far BC is from Boston and is there public transportation to get from one to the other ?


It's at the end of the Green Line ~ 30 -40 min. from harvard square

the law school is not connected to the main campus though


The one time I went from BC law campus to downtown Boston, it took me a long time. Had to get a shuttle to the main campus, wait for the T, then ride it like 45 min to downtown. Was over an hour-long commute. I guess the few BC law students with cars will be really popular with their classmates.

User avatar
DorianGray89
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:19 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby DorianGray89 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:04 pm

dakatz wrote:
luckyme wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:Does anyone know how far BC is from Boston and is there public transportation to get from one to the other ?


It's at the end of the Green Line ~ 30 -40 min. from harvard square

the law school is not connected to the main campus though


The one time I went from BC law campus to downtown Boston, it took me a long time. Had to get a shuttle to the main campus, wait for the T, then ride it like 45 min to downtown. Was over an hour-long commute. I guess the few BC law students with cars will be really popular with their classmates.



Ugh, that sucks...

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:10 pm

dakatz wrote:
luckyme wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:Does anyone know how far BC is from Boston and is there public transportation to get from one to the other ?


It's at the end of the Green Line ~ 30 -40 min. from harvard square

the law school is not connected to the main campus though


The one time I went from BC law campus to downtown Boston, it took me a long time. Had to get a shuttle to the main campus, wait for the T, then ride it like 45 min to downtown. Was over an hour-long commute. I guess the few BC law students with cars will be really popular with their classmates.

Yeah, that's one way to do it, though most student's aren't coming from downtown, they're coming from Brighton, Alston, etc, which is a little faster

There's also a direct route on the BC shuttle from the Cleveland Circle area to the law school campus. Lots of people take that.

http://www.bc.edu/offices/transportation/bus.html




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”