Boston College Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BCLS

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby BCLS » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:39 pm

Allston is awesome. I'm living there now and couldn't be happier. I have probably the nicest/sunniest apartment in existence!

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:15 pm

IsleMet wrote:Thanks BCLS!

I do have connections in the area as I went to BU for undergrad, so I would probably avoid the on campus housing, unless of course if I could live there for free. I could definitely see myself living in Allston or Brighton again.

Quite a few BCLS students are RAs, but that doesn't happen until 2L year because you won't be a student by the deadline to apply. For what I hear, they're typically assigned to senior housing on main campus..

Anecdotally, I had a law student RA senior year at BC.

http://www.bc.edu/offices/reslife/about ... ps/ra.html

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:19 pm

BCLS wrote:Not sure about RAs. I know we have graduate housing but I don't know a single person living there-- I definitely wouldn't want to live there. I need a break from the people every now and then haha.

TITCR. Graduate housing is amazingly over-priced. Most students in private housing pay 600-800 per month plus 100-150 in utilities (link below for BC grad housing prices). I knew one student who lived in grad housing last year and she couldn't wait to get out of it. The typical resident either has a lot of cash to blow or is unable to hunt for housing before the semester starts (typically foreign students).

--LinkRemoved--
Last edited by sullidop on Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birD

Postby birD » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:39 pm

Just got my letter - was put on hold. it says I'll hear back by Feb. does anyone know if this is different than waitlist? maybe better?

NZA

Postby NZA » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:57 pm

birD wrote:Just got my letter - was put on hold. it says I'll hear back by Feb. does anyone know if this is different than waitlist? maybe better?

I don't think it's a waitlist...IIRC, they are literally putting your file on hold for a bit and will review it in February.

On a waitlist, they're telling you that they've made their decision on your file, and that you're neither accepted or rejected. With having a file on hold, they're saying, "We haven't made up our mind, yet, but we will!"

I think. :?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:04 pm

NZA wrote:I don't think it's a waitlist...IIRC, they are literally putting your file on hold for a bit and will review it in February.

On a waitlist, they're telling you that they've made their decision on your file, and that you're neither accepted or rejected. With having a file on hold, they're saying, "We haven't made up our mind, yet, but we will!"

I think. :?

TITCR. Holds are frustrating, but they aren't completely analogous to waitlists.

birD

Postby birD » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:11 pm

after looking through last years BC thread it appears that they put tons of people on hold. super annoyingg, hope you guys have better luck then I do!

birD

Postby birD » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:12 pm

also is there anything else I can do besides update transcripts and LOCI? should I have another recommendation written or would that annoy them?

CoastGuard3

Postby CoastGuard3 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:23 pm

birD wrote:also is there anything else I can do besides update transcripts and LOCI? should I have another recommendation written or would that annoy them?

That sounds about the best plan. maybe a visit too!

I am curious how many days it took you to receive the decision from the time your status checker said "Decision Rendered?" Oh, and are you a reverse-splitter?

birD

Postby birD » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:28 pm

I am curious how many days it took you to receive the decision from the time your status checker said "Decision Rendered?" Oh, and are you a reverse-splitter?

It said decision rendered on 11/30 and I'm a MAJOR reverse-splitter

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:36 pm

birD wrote:

PM stats please?

CoastGuard3

Postby CoastGuard3 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:54 pm

luckyme wrote:
birD wrote:

PM stats please?

Same?

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:35 pm

Dinged. Not surprised. I had hoped for a WL but knew that an early result was probably not good for me - my LSAT was at 75th, GPA below 25th.

Good luck to everyone else!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:39 pm

Snapdragon, were you dinged via status checker?

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Snapdragon, were you dinged via status checker?

Nope, via letter. It just showed up today.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:42 pm

How long did it take you all to get a decision after going complete. 8 weeks?

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:48 pm

CoastGuard3 wrote:
luckyme wrote:
birD wrote:

PM stats please?

Same?

Yes, I'm curious too as a fellow reverse-splitter. PM as well?

birD

Postby birD » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:12 pm

oy I'll just get it out in the open 3.92/159, yeah i know my LSAT sucks don't tell me to retake!

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:18 pm

birD wrote:oy I'll just get it out in the open 3.92/159, yeah i know my LSAT sucks don't tell me to retake!

"Retake."

"If WE, ED to Northwestern. Otherwise, ED to UVA yesterday."

Just trying to get all the TLS cliches out into the open. :D

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:32 pm

birD wrote:oy I'll just get it out in the open 3.92/159, yeah i know my LSAT sucks don't tell me to retake!

Fellow reverse splitter here, no judgment :) How's the rest of your cycle going?

lawgrl21

Postby lawgrl21 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:42 pm

birD wrote:Just got my letter - was put on hold. it says I'll hear back by Feb. does anyone know if this is different than waitlist? maybe better?

Did your status checker say "decision rendered" and that was what came in the mail as the decision? Or do you still say under review and just got a letter letting you know not to expect anything until Feb?

birD

Postby birD » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:49 pm

Did your status checker say "decision rendered" and that was what came in the mail as the decision? Or do you still say under review and just got a letter letting you know not to expect anything until Feb?

it said decision rendered, so I guess that means my status checker is now useless in determining my future status because all it's going to say is decision rendered

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:53 pm

So has anyone been actually accepted yet? If so, how have you heard?

birD

Postby birD » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Fellow reverse splitter here, no judgment How's the rest of your cycle going?

it's going good! I'm in everywhere so far (accept for BC) but I've only applied to schools in the boston area which really limits my options, so I'm in to like suffolk and NE law which I REALLY don't want to go to. If all else fails I'm hoping to go to northeastern, but I do have a possible strong alum connection to BC who could make a phone call so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I'm shocked I'm not rejected from BC, they must like my GPA which is good for all the reverse-splitters out there. I'm definitely expecting a rejection from BU...

what about you?

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:58 pm

birD wrote:
Fellow reverse splitter here, no judgment How's the rest of your cycle going?

it's going good! I'm in everywhere so far (accept for BC) but I've only applied to schools in the boston area which really limits my options, so I'm in to like suffolk and NE law which I REALLY don't want to go to. If all else fails I'm hoping to go to northeastern, but I do have a possible strong alum connection to BC who could make a phone call so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I'm shocked I'm not rejected from BC, they must like my GPA which is good for all the reverse-splitters out there. I'm definitely expecting a rejection from BU...

what about you?

birD do you have good softs and LORs? I have a friend that went to Northeastern and got a job out here in Cali.

Anyways good luck with the rest of your cycle!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”