Boston College Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zonto

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby zonto » Mon May 09, 2011 2:53 pm

Check out the thread in the Discuss Your Law School forum for that info. There's a lot of great advice from current students! Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Also some great information in these threads:
Boston College (105k CoA) vs. Boston University (105k CoA)
My "Choosing a Law School Thread (check out the comparative difference in scholarship stipulations at BC vs yours at BK Law)

-----
That being said, why do you think your cycle went poorly? Did you apply late? Was your personal statement thrown together last minute? Convictions or other character & fitness issues?

Only reason I ask is because I have the same exact stats as you and have had quite a fulfilling cycle.

sdp259

Postby sdp259 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:09 pm

So I cannot understand for the life of me what happened. I had a really good personal statement and had everyone from my graduate dept review/edit it. I had great recs from my advisors/employers, have a handful of fellowships and distinctions under my belt. I literally have no idea why this cycle hated me so much. I applied end of November (right after thanksgiving)--- maybe that is late? The only thing I can attribute it to is my first LSAT score, which was a 162. The second time around I was PTing around 170 consistently...but there was a major and sudden family death two days before the October LSAT (not even joking) and I was so emotionally spent by the time I took the test. I didn't add an addendum or anything because I feel like AdComs wouldn't believe it and I'm not one for excuses. I can't wait another year to apply because my parents are footing the tuition and time is money to them. But whatever! This BC acceptance is a light at the end of the tunnel.

sdp259

Postby sdp259 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:14 pm

Also I basically only applied to T30 schools (more like, 4 T30's, and the rest T15...stupid I know!), and then 3 tier 2 schools as a back up. I don't think I evenly distributed throughout Tier 1. That also could be it. Anyway... TLS gives me anxiety, and yet here I am...

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Mon May 09, 2011 3:16 pm

sdp259 wrote:Also I basically only applied to T30 schools (more like, 4 T30's, and the rest T15...stupid I know!), and then 3 tier 2 schools as a back up. I don't think I evenly distributed throughout Tier 1. That also could be it. Anyway... TLS gives me anxiety, and yet here I am...

have you had too much caffeine today? or forgotten to take pills?

zonto

Postby zonto » Mon May 09, 2011 3:17 pm

Wow... Sorry that it's been so trying. I feel really blessed then to have done as well as I did applying in January.

Have you spoken with your parents about the employment statistics linked to in this thread yet?

sdp259

Postby sdp259 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:23 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
sdp259 wrote:Also I basically only applied to T30 schools (more like, 4 T30's, and the rest T15...stupid I know!), and then 3 tier 2 schools as a back up. I don't think I evenly distributed throughout Tier 1. That also could be it. Anyway... TLS gives me anxiety, and yet here I am...

have you had too much caffeine today? or forgotten to take pills?

Hahaha no no. Um, TLS is filled with honest and accomplished people, so hearing success stories/ brutal truth (not on this thread but others) is kind of...well.. anxiety-inducing. But guys, don't worry, you don't give me anxiety. This is all happy posting. I just wish BK never bumped my scholly and then I wouldn't be second-guessing myself.

sdp259

Postby sdp259 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:25 pm

zonto wrote:Wow... Sorry that it's been so trying. I feel really blessed then to have done as well as I did applying in January.

Have you spoken with your parents about the employment statistics linked to in this thread yet?

Yes I have. It is very clear that BC is the better school, with the better opportunities/job prospects. Also, yes you should be very proud of your cycle! Congrats!

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Mon May 09, 2011 3:51 pm

sdp259 wrote:So I cannot understand for the life of me what happened. I had a really good personal statement and had everyone from my graduate dept review/edit it. I had great recs from my advisors/employers, have a handful of fellowships and distinctions under my belt. I literally have no idea why this cycle hated me so much. I applied end of November (right after thanksgiving)--- maybe that is late? The only thing I can attribute it to is my first LSAT score, which was a 162. The second time around I was PTing around 170 consistently...but there was a major and sudden family death two days before the October LSAT (not even joking) and I was so emotionally spent by the time I took the test. I didn't add an addendum or anything because I feel like AdComs wouldn't believe it and I'm not one for excuses. I can't wait another year to apply because my parents are footing the tuition and time is money to them. But whatever! This BC acceptance is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Based on what you're telling me, I am surprised your cycle turned out the way it did and I can completely relate to the LSAT (I had a family member pass away less than a week before the LSAT and it def. hurt my score -- but I got bad advice not to re-take b/c I did "well enough" - one of my worst decisions!!!). That said, (i) congrats on the parental help, i'm jealous! (ii) why are you parents oppsoed to you waiting - wouldn't it be better if you were able to get a job and make some money for a year? They would pay less for school and the extra spending $ would probabaly increase your QoL. On top of that with your numbers (esp. if you choose to re-take again - since it seems you are confident you can get around 170), you are likely to get into better schools or at least get a much bigger scholly from a school like BC (which again would decrease the total cost of law school for you).

P.S. - You are expected to do approx. 3 points worse on the actual test so if you got a 170 PTing and a 166 on the real thing, you should be very certain that you can improve. If so, my honest advice is to re-take. If not, try to get some $ from BC.

harrijust86

Postby harrijust86 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:14 pm

This has been quite possibly the best week and a half, ever. After being waitlisted at BC BU and Fordham I decided to defer my GW acceptance (at sticker) until next year. Then, after a month of avoiding TLS and the idea of law school and acclimating myself to the idea of staying in Alaska for another year, I get a phonecall from BC. In off the waitlist. Within and hour i got an email from Fordham, same thing. AWESOME. Then last night I get my BC financial aid offer: 28k per in the Law Scholarship. WHAT??? REALLY? I nearly fainted. Both seat deposits mailed this morning. See you guys in the fall!

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed May 11, 2011 2:27 pm

harrijust86 wrote:This has been quite possibly the best week and a half, ever. After being waitlisted at BC BU and Fordham I decided to defer my GW acceptance (at sticker) until next year. Then, after a month of avoiding TLS and the idea of law school and acclimating myself to the idea of staying in Alaska for another year, I get a phonecall from BC. In off the waitlist. Within and hour i got an email from Fordham, same thing. AWESOME. Then last night I get my BC financial aid offer: 28k per in the Law Scholarship. WHAT??? REALLY? I nearly fainted. Both seat deposits mailed this morning. See you guys in the fall!

JEALOUS! BC, why u no love me?

zonto

Postby zonto » Wed May 11, 2011 2:27 pm

harrijust86 wrote:This has been quite possibly the best week and a half, ever. After being waitlisted at BC BU and Fordham I decided to defer my GW acceptance (at sticker) until next year. Then, after a month of avoiding TLS and the idea of law school and acclimating myself to the idea of staying in Alaska for another year, I get a phonecall from BC. In off the waitlist. Within and hour i got an email from Fordham, same thing. AWESOME. Then last night I get my BC financial aid offer: 28k per in the Law Scholarship. WHAT??? REALLY? I nearly fainted. Both seat deposits mailed this morning. See you guys in the fall!

Great news! Congratulations man! :mrgreen:

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Wed May 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Wow! That's pretty crazy...congrats!

Perch

Postby Perch » Wed May 11, 2011 2:51 pm

fingersxd wrote:

Wow! That's pretty crazy...congrats!

+1 cool story bro...actually

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Wed May 11, 2011 4:00 pm

Congrats!! Everything always works out in the end. :D

sdp259

Postby sdp259 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:42 pm

Omg I had a similar experience! I was freaking out about BC, paying full tuition, etc., and got a scholarship of 25K/year. I was FLOORED. Very happy and excited to see everyone in the fall!

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Sat May 14, 2011 12:24 am

zonto wrote:Also, you may be interested to note that I saw your avatar a few months ago and had no idea what it was talking about. Then one day, I was eating a cheeseburger at a little burger joint in a podunk town near my in-laws' house and I heard the original version. It unleashed a hearty guffaw and promptly shared the full resolution version of your avatar on Facebook that very evening.

Thanks for a good laugh, and I hope to see you this fall! :mrgreen:

I also found out about the original song because of bostonlawchick's avatar! We are soooo out of touch with modern pop, zonto. :lol:

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Sat May 14, 2011 6:04 pm

mettasutta wrote:
zonto wrote:Also, you may be interested to note that I saw your avatar a few months ago and had no idea what it was talking about. Then one day, I was eating a cheeseburger at a little burger joint in a podunk town near my in-laws' house and I heard the original version. It unleashed a hearty guffaw and promptly shared the full resolution version of your avatar on Facebook that very evening.

Thanks for a good laugh, and I hope to see you this fall! :mrgreen:

I also found out about the original song because of bostonlawchick's avatar! We are soooo out of touch with modern pop, zonto. :lol:

Hahaha... the only reason I really know the song is because I have a 15 year old brother that likes to play his iPod loudly while playing video games.

meganmac

Postby meganmac » Wed May 25, 2011 7:16 am

Just wanted to let any WL hopefuls know I withdrew this morning - Honestly BC was a top choice for me but it was a little demoralizing to know that folks called off the waitlist were awarded scholarship money and I just got some lip service and zero financial assistance, merit or otherwise. I realize there is probably a process of some kind that they follow but it doesn't really make sense to me that individuals that didn't merit an initial acceptance are getting scholarships after the fact. Good Luck to everyone and enjoy Boston!!

onetime1

Postby onetime1 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:24 am

I think I remember reading awhile back that insurance was covered in the CoA, but I emailed Admissions today - they said that its not included, only tuition. If you don't want the insurance, you waive it on Agora. Not sure if this is new, but definitely valuable information to know!

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Wed May 25, 2011 11:53 am

onetime1 wrote:I think I remember reading awhile back that insurance was covered in the CoA, but I emailed Admissions today - they said that its not included, only tuition. If you don't want the insurance, you waive it on Agora. Not sure if this is new, but definitely valuable information to know!

Yup. Adds an extra 2k+/yr for many applicants.

zonto

Postby zonto » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Anyone received notice they got your second deposit yet?

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:02 pm

zonto wrote:Anyone received notice they got your second deposit yet?

I got an email the other day confirming my second deposit.

skippy1

Postby skippy1 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:38 pm

Got email account!

zonto

Postby zonto » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:42 pm

I finally got the confirmation of my deposit! :wink:

Updated profile and LSN account if anyone cares to check it out. Under three months 'til we start!

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:13 am

Soooo I'm getting kind of excited. I was looking around on Agora and we can now see course listings if you click on 'my services' and then 'course information and schedule'. It's just a list of all the courses offered next semester, but it has 1L courses listed.

If it doesn't change, Contracts, torts, and property are all Tuesday Thursday Friday I think, except one section of torts is on TWF. Civpro and LRRW are Monday and Wednesday for everyone. It looks like we're all going to be there from about 9-3 on T Th F no matter what section we're in, and Monday and Wednesday you either get out early or go in late.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”