Boston College Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby zonto » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:23 pm

You make your choice then? :shock:

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby mettasutta » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:30 pm

zonto wrote:You make your choice then? :shock:


Yes! I'm giving my deposit in person tomorrow.

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby zonto » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:41 am

mettasutta wrote:Yes! I'm giving my deposit in person tomorrow.


Congrats! Hopefully things will work out and I'll see you this fall. :wink:

ylnechev
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby ylnechev » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:40 am

mettasutta wrote:Scholarship negotiation works! I went from sticker to $45K using merit aid offers from peer schools as leverage. I <3 BC.


Is that 15K/year?

User avatar
IgnatiusJ
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby IgnatiusJ » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:39 pm

So, I'm confused. I got into BC about a week ago and had no real intentions of visiting since they admitted me so late. As would be expected, I was not going to pay the seat deposit. Yet, today, I get an email thanking me for my seat deposit of 500 dollars. I haven't been anywhere near the deposit form on the site or spent any real time on their admission portal (agora?). Is this just them holding onto my seat until they get me financial aid info (which I haven't asked for) or what?

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby Perch » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:44 pm

IgnatiusJ wrote:So, I'm confused. I got into BC about a week ago and had no real intentions of visiting since they admitted me so late. As would be expected, I was not going to pay the seat deposit. Yet, today, I get an email thanking me for my seat deposit of 500 dollars. I haven't been anywhere near the deposit form on the site or spent any real time on their admission portal (agora?). Is this just them holding onto my seat until they get me financial aid info (which I haven't asked for) or what?


I want my $500 back.

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby zonto » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Just kindly email them back and say that you want to forfeit your seat and use your deposit to pay mine instead. Let me know before I go to work tomorrow morning!

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby mettasutta » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:05 pm

ylnechev wrote:
mettasutta wrote:Scholarship negotiation works! I went from sticker to $45K using merit aid offers from peer schools as leverage. I <3 BC.


Is that 15K/year?


Yes it is!

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby bostonlawchick » Mon May 02, 2011 1:24 pm

I just got an email from GULC about possibly getting off the SPWL... I know I want to turn them down, 66k at BC vs stickter there is a no brainer, but it's really going to break my heart. Georgetown was my dream school when I first started this whole process.

Someone tell me I'm being delusional.

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby zonto » Mon May 02, 2011 5:45 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:I just got an email from GULC about possibly getting off the SPWL... I know I want to turn them down, 66k at BC vs stickter there is a no brainer, but it's really going to break my heart. Georgetown was my dream school when I first started this whole process.

Someone tell me I'm being delusional.


You're straight-up crazy to go to GULC with a username like that and a generous offer to BC! :wink:

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby bostonlawchick » Mon May 02, 2011 6:09 pm

zonto wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:I just got an email from GULC about possibly getting off the SPWL... I know I want to turn them down, 66k at BC vs stickter there is a no brainer, but it's really going to break my heart. Georgetown was my dream school when I first started this whole process.

Someone tell me I'm being delusional.


You're straight-up crazy to go to GULC with a username like that and a generous offer to BC! :wink:


That's what I'm thinking. What would I do if I was forced to root for the Redskins?

BC it is.

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby zonto » Mon May 02, 2011 8:25 pm

Also, you may be interested to note that I saw your avatar a few months ago and had no idea what it was talking about. Then one day, I was eating a cheeseburger at a little burger joint in a podunk town near my in-laws' house and I heard the original version. It unleashed a hearty guffaw and promptly shared the full resolution version of your avatar on Facebook that very evening.

Thanks for a good laugh, and I hope to see you this fall! :mrgreen:

belligerentfuture
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:40 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby belligerentfuture » Thu May 05, 2011 4:18 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:
zonto wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:I just got an email from GULC about possibly getting off the SPWL... I know I want to turn them down, 66k at BC vs stickter there is a no brainer, but it's really going to break my heart. Georgetown was my dream school when I first started this whole process.

Someone tell me I'm being delusional.


You're straight-up crazy to go to GULC with a username like that and a generous offer to BC! :wink:


That's what I'm thinking. What would I do if I was forced to root for the Redskins?

BC it is.


Good choice (from a happy current 2L) :) BC is just a damn great school to be at for 3 years, and with that kind of scholly, you'd be stupid to go anywhere else but HYS (or maybe just Y :)). Welcome to the awesome that is the 'Disneyland of law schools' :)

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby zonto » Fri May 06, 2011 2:27 pm

I think we should make a t-shirt or something with that slogan and somehow incorporate Mickey or a silhouette of the Stuart House instead of the Disney castle.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby fingersxd » Fri May 06, 2011 3:07 pm

belligerentfuture wrote:Good choice (from a happy current 2L) :) BC is just a damn great school to be at for 3 years, and with that kind of scholly, you'd be stupid to go anywhere else but HYS (or maybe just Y :)). Welcome to the awesome that is the 'Disneyland of law schools' :)


Where did this come from anyway? I've nver really understood.

User avatar
jcdc
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby jcdc » Fri May 06, 2011 3:48 pm

Just got a call from BC- in off the waitlist! Has anyone off the waitlist gotten aid so far? They asked what my other scholarship offers were after I said I probably couldn't accept without aid.

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby mettasutta » Fri May 06, 2011 6:57 pm

jcdc wrote:Just got a call from BC- in off the waitlist! Has anyone off the waitlist gotten aid so far? They asked what my other scholarship offers were after I said I probably couldn't accept without aid.


Congrats! What are your other offers? I received merit aid from two peer schools (ranked in the 20s) and successfully used them as bargaining chips for negotiating merit aid. If you want to see a successful sample of a scholly negotiation letter, please feel free to PM me!

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby mettasutta » Fri May 06, 2011 7:00 pm

fingersxd wrote:
belligerentfuture wrote:Good choice (from a happy current 2L) :) BC is just a damn great school to be at for 3 years, and with that kind of scholly, you'd be stupid to go anywhere else but HYS (or maybe just Y :)). Welcome to the awesome that is the 'Disneyland of law schools' :)


Where did this come from anyway? I've nver really understood.


According to the Wikipedia article on BC Law, Vault came up with the "Disneyland of law schools" moniker for its collegial atmosphere.

User avatar
jcdc
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby jcdc » Mon May 09, 2011 9:53 am

mettasutta wrote:
jcdc wrote:Just got a call from BC- in off the waitlist! Has anyone off the waitlist gotten aid so far? They asked what my other scholarship offers were after I said I probably couldn't accept without aid.


Congrats! What are your other offers? I received merit aid from two peer schools (ranked in the 20s) and successfully used them as bargaining chips for negotiating merit aid. If you want to see a successful sample of a scholly negotiation letter, please feel free to PM me!


Thanks! I got $8k/yr from William & Mary and $15k/yr from WUSTL. They're sending my packet this week so I'll have to wait and see.

belligerentfuture
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:40 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby belligerentfuture » Mon May 09, 2011 11:21 am

jcdc wrote:
mettasutta wrote:
jcdc wrote:Just got a call from BC- in off the waitlist! Has anyone off the waitlist gotten aid so far? They asked what my other scholarship offers were after I said I probably couldn't accept without aid.


Congrats! What are your other offers? I received merit aid from two peer schools (ranked in the 20s) and successfully used them as bargaining chips for negotiating merit aid. If you want to see a successful sample of a scholly negotiation letter, please feel free to PM me!


Thanks! I got $8k/yr from William & Mary and $15k/yr from WUSTL. They're sending my packet this week so I'll have to wait and see.


I know people that got in super late that got aid--a large part of BC's formula is actually *need*, so you'll probably get at least 10k, and might be able to bargain up. Good luck, and come join us, seriously ;)

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby zonto » Mon May 09, 2011 12:29 pm

I have been very impressed with BC's financial aid department. It seems to me that they are very fair with their review of your NeedAccess application and award need-based aid accordingly. It's refreshing to not be expected to take out ridiculous Graduate PLUS loans with my paltry income like I am at other schools.

sdp259
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby sdp259 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:32 pm

I got off the WL on Friday as well, two hours before BK Law upped my scholarship to 42K/year. I called BC back and explained to them my situation; it's pretty obvious that that is A LOT of money I'd be giving up. The dean said they are still reviewing all the money recouped from first round of decisions and will be in touch with me as soon as they've figured out what they can offer. I love love love BC you guys. And I can't stand BK Law. This money stuff is making me lose my mind! What do you think you guys?

Also, I didn't fill out a FAFSA or any financial aid because my parents wouldn't qualify for aid, but the dean said I should fill out those forms because as an independent I could qualify for need-based aid. This is true?

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby fingersxd » Mon May 09, 2011 1:48 pm

sdp259 wrote:I got off the WL on Friday as well, two hours before BK Law upped my scholarship to 42K/year. I called BC back and explained to them my situation; it's pretty obvious that that is A LOT of money I'd be giving up. The dean said they are still reviewing all the money recouped from first round of decisions and will be in touch with me as soon as they've figured out what they can offer. I love love love BC you guys. And I can't stand BK Law. This money stuff is making me lose my mind! What do you think you guys?

Also, I didn't fill out a FAFSA or any financial aid because my parents wouldn't qualify for aid, but the dean said I should fill out those forms because as an independent I could qualify for need-based aid. This is true?


Anything the Dean tells you to do, you do!

What stips does BK law have? I'm almsot positive they have some, and if so, you should be careful b/c you could lose the scholly (from personal experience I've known BK to be one oof those schools that attracts students with $ and then screws them). That said, they are on pretty different tiers so not sure just how much value the BK scholly has. Just make sure they[BC] know how interested you are and that you really want to go.

sdp259
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby sdp259 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:11 pm

fingersxd wrote:
sdp259 wrote:I got off the WL on Friday as well, two hours before BK Law upped my scholarship to 42K/year. I called BC back and explained to them my situation; it's pretty obvious that that is A LOT of money I'd be giving up. The dean said they are still reviewing all the money recouped from first round of decisions and will be in touch with me as soon as they've figured out what they can offer. I love love love BC you guys. And I can't stand BK Law. This money stuff is making me lose my mind! What do you think you guys?

Also, I didn't fill out a FAFSA or any financial aid because my parents wouldn't qualify for aid, but the dean said I should fill out those forms because as an independent I could qualify for need-based aid. This is true?


Anything the Dean tells you to do, you do!

What stips does BK law have? I'm almsot positive they have some, and if so, you should be careful b/c you could lose the scholly (from personal experience I've known BK to be one oof those schools that attracts students with $ and then screws them). That said, they are on pretty different tiers so not sure just how much value the BK scholly has. Just make sure they[BC] know how interested you are and that you really want to go.



Omg the stips! People go crazy over the stips! It's contingent on my being top 40% of the class. Everyone goes nuts when they hear about this stip. I feel like I shouldn't have a problem there though because my numbers are crazy above their 75th, but this is apparently a bad assumption. They are definitely in different tiers and I know that BC is far less risky than BK, even with that scholarship, but my dad (the good natured, naive Greek immigrant that he is) doesn't really understand that rankings matter in the legal world; he thinks it's like medical school where it doesn't matter really the rank of your school. And he loves the idea of potentially paying only 15K for my legal education but I've been firmly insisting that BC is a much better investment for my future. Yeah?

I was on the verge of tears on the phone with the Dean when she called. You guys, I had such a terrible cycle and I have no idea why! And I had decent stats (166/ 3.75 undergrad and grad school) so I have been bemoaning my application fate all year. Anyway, I made it super clear that I'd love to go to BC and that some money would really seal the deal.

Also what about housing you guys? I don't know a lick about Boston.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby fingersxd » Mon May 09, 2011 2:51 pm

[quote="sdp259"]

Top 40% is doable, but just speaking from experience, I don't think you can rely on it (everyone with a scholly comes in thinking they can keep it -- BUT, they give out to more than 40% so some will inevitably lose it). Plus, some schools (and this is anecdotal) are known to 'stack' their sections so that some scholly students lose out. That said, yes, BC is unquestionably a better investment, BUT if they don't give you money and you are SUPER confident you will be at the top of the class then only you can decide if that is a risk worth taking for you. Saving 130k or so is A LOT of money...

Another point to consider is what you want to do. BigLaw is hard out of BK (or anywhere)...if that's not your intended path, then BK becomes an easier choice.

Lastly, and I HATE to say this, but if your cycle really turned out poorly then would you consider re-applying? A re-take may not even be necessary, but it certainly wouldn't hurt, nor would an extra year of work if you can find something interesting. You would likely get into a better school with more $.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], henryyou, Keilz and 9 guests