Boston College Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BBeauty
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:59 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby BBeauty » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:19 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
maglialoro wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:
phewww thanks that does help a lot.. and second question.. i was pretty surprised at the amount I got but couldnt find anywhere that it specifically stated that the award was good for all three years (could only find 2011-2012) and I don't want to send in my deposit until I know that I have it for three years.. any info on this would help


if its need based, you usually have to reapply every year for it when you refile your FAFSA and such. For merit aid, they sent a email to me stating that the award was for all 3 yrs.


mehh.. i dunno how to tell.. i have the $20,500 in subsidized and unsubsidized.. 5k perkins.. 3k law school loan.. and a 28k "law scholarship" that doesnt distinguish between merit and need... lets hope i get an email sometime today then


I have a very similar package to you and the same scholarship. I called the Fin Aid office today and asked her about the package I recieved and she said all institutional loans (Federal Perkins and Law School Loans) and scholarships are renewable for all three years. I didnt recieve an e-mail re merit scholarships. HTH!

binghamtonalum
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby binghamtonalum » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:38 pm

DR 4/12 and still no email. Is it safe to assume its a rejection/WL? Has anyone heard past 24 hours from DR of an acceptance?

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby Deuce » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:51 pm

Anyone know if BC scholly matches at all? I sent them competing offers a week ago, they sent it to fin. aid, still crickets :|

glolaw
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby glolaw » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:17 pm

Status changed to DR today but DR date is 4/15? What does that mean? Do I have to wait until tomorrow to expect email/WL/ding??? This is so stressful :cry:

User avatar
jpSartre
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby jpSartre » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:29 pm

25k/yr today. Will attempt to negogiate before the 4/25 deadline. Will be attending.

highhopes2011
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby highhopes2011 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:50 pm

glolaw wrote:Status changed to DR today but DR date is 4/15? What does that mean? Do I have to wait until tomorrow to expect email/WL/ding??? This is so stressful :cry:


Same thing happened to me...its very weird...

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby mettasutta » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:36 pm

:)
Last edited by mettasutta on Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidbowie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby davidbowie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:58 pm

WL today - DR 4/12.

skippy1
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby skippy1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:35 am

maglialoro wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:
zonto wrote:Thanks for the info about updated AGORA stuff today!

I was given $22,000 in scholarship, the max in Stafford, $800 a year in work study :?:, $4,000 a year in Perkins loans, and $5,000 a year in loans from the school. I've heard the mantra to diversify and not put all your eggs in one basket, but this took me by surprise. :o


work study?


$800 a year in work study? Doesn't sound like a lot of heavy lifting.



I had no idea BC Law has work study - I wonder what kinds of positions these would be and what kind of pay you'd get? And are there limits to how many hours we can work?

skippy1
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby skippy1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:36 am

And one more thing - does anyone know what the deal is with medical insurance - is it already part of tuition or do we have to buy it ourselves?

ldboston
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby ldboston » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:31 am

You have to get health insurance yourself, though you can get it through BC as an upfront student fee for the year. In MA you have to have it, so its definitely an extra cost.

With the new health insurance laws, I'm planning to go back on my parent's after I stop working to save the money for a year. I talked to health services at the open house, and I think its one service for all of BC (undergrad and grad) so maybe look around on the BC website.

BBeauty
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:59 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby BBeauty » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:11 am

skippy1 wrote:
maglialoro wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:
zonto wrote:Thanks for the info about updated AGORA stuff today!

I was given $22,000 in scholarship, the max in Stafford, $800 a year in work study :?:, $4,000 a year in Perkins loans, and $5,000 a year in loans from the school. I've heard the mantra to diversify and not put all your eggs in one basket, but this took me by surprise. :o


work study?


$800 a year in work study? Doesn't sound like a lot of heavy lifting.



I had no idea BC Law has work study - I wonder what kinds of positions these would be and what kind of pay you'd get? And are there limits to how many hours we can work?



I spoke to the Financial Aid office yesterday and if you qualify you can work no more than 20 hours/week and they award up to $1900 for the year in work study. She also mentioned that one could work as a research assistant for their work study. HTH!

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby zonto » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:13 pm

By research assistant do they mean someone who scans and copies stuff for an hour a week? That's what I would do for $800 a school year. :wink:

meganmac
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby meganmac » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:46 pm

mettasutta wrote:#@&$! I'm about to cry. I called admissions and just got an email today saying that they are unable to offer any merit aid. :(

Did anyone who initially get nothing squeeze any money out of them by showing them competing offers from peer schools? I'm holding on to a shred of hope here...



I received the same email from them. Had other scholarship offers but my financial aid package from BC is only the 20500 in Federal Loans, making the decision kind of difficult when I'll have to find the other $$ from somewhere. I still deposited though as it's my best choice so far to move back near the fam and go to school. Visiting at the end of the month but if I don't completely fall in love with the school it will be hard to validate walking away with a ton of debt to go there when I can walk away debt free from somewhere else.

curly3426
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby curly3426 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:00 am

mettasutta wrote:#@&$! I'm about to cry. I called admissions and just got an email today saying that they are unable to offer any merit aid. :(

Did anyone who initially get nothing squeeze any money out of them by showing them competing offers from peer schools? I'm holding on to a shred of hope here...



they did me, and upped it - granted it was from BU

skippy1
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby skippy1 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:26 am

I'm being told by BCLS students that medical insurance is already part of tuition. If you choose to get your own, then the amount towards insurance will be deducted from your tuition. In other words, insurance is already accounted for in the financial aid package. Please correct.....

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby zonto » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:27 pm

Why not just call admissions for us and find out? Are they closed today for the Marathon?

skippy1
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby skippy1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:29 pm

I emailed them but - no response yet.

alumniguy
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby alumniguy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:41 pm

skippy1 wrote:I'm being told by BCLS students that medical insurance is already part of tuition. If you choose to get your own, then the amount towards insurance will be deducted from your tuition. In other words, insurance is already accounted for in the financial aid package. Please correct.....


This is correct. There is a separate line item for cost of insurance (I don't remember if it is "included" in tuition or not, but if it is, you can opt out). If memory is correct, you default to opting in if you don't explicitly opt out.

Either way, you're finaid package will include loan allowances that include $$$ for insurance.

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby Perch » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:48 pm

zonto wrote:Why not just call admissions for us and find out? Are they closed today for the Marathon?


yes.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby sullidop » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:15 pm

alumniguy wrote:
skippy1 wrote:I'm being told by BCLS students that medical insurance is already part of tuition. If you choose to get your own, then the amount towards insurance will be deducted from your tuition. In other words, insurance is already accounted for in the financial aid package. Please correct.....


This is correct. There is a separate line item for cost of insurance (I don't remember if it is "included" in tuition or not, but if it is, you can opt out). If memory is correct, you default to opting in if you don't explicitly opt out.

Either way, you're finaid package will include loan allowances that include $$$ for insurance.


Alumniguy is correct. Insurance is an additional fee over tuition, however it is included in COA so loans will cover it.

columbia86
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:59 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby columbia86 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:45 am

.
Last edited by columbia86 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

davidbowie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby davidbowie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:52 pm

columbia86 wrote:My status on status checker still says your application is being reviewed, but the top of the status checker page says a decision has been rendered...does this most probably indicate a wait list? I believe it changed about twenty minutes ago.


Same thing happened to me last week when I got wait-listed. In fact, my status on the status checker still reads "application is being reviewed" - I don't think that will change until they accept/reject me or I withdraw.

So, um, congrats on your wait list...

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby zonto » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:51 pm

Updated 2011–2012 Law School budget today via request by email if anyone's interested:

Law School Expenses
Tuition: $41,590
Fees: $228
Books: $1,300
Sub-total: $43,118

Living Expenses
Room: $8,100
Board: $3,200
Utilities: $1,485
Transportation: $1,750
Personal: $3,255
Sub-total: $17,790

Total Budget: $60,908

-----

The current tuition reflects an increase from 2010–2011 tuition ($40,770) by 2.1%. I am pleased about that!

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby mettasutta » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:26 pm

Scholarship negotiation works! I went from sticker to $45K using merit aid offers from peer schools as leverage. I <3 BC.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, A Lutt, ad34964n, Bing [Bot], Ca2021, canafsa, cd1945, Google Adsense [Bot], hillaryrodham, Kaziende, Keilz, LawSchoolTitan, Leliana, lillawyer2, Lordcarnus123, MAPP, ReeseWitherspoon, TecumsehSherman, Thomas Hagan, ESQ., vho1791, xn3345, yuppitsme and 55 guests