Boston College Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bostonlawchick

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby bostonlawchick » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:11 pm

RPK34 wrote:
curly3426 wrote:Any alumni out there: I have a job at bc that I had while in undergrad. Is it a bad idea to have a job as a first year. I know bc strongly advises against it but would love a students perspective!

Thanks

I know it's against ABA rules to work during your 1L year. However, William and Mary offers a fellowship to some students where they can get paid to do library work and other law school school "jobs." So I'm not sure how things like Federal Work Study programs factor into this equation. If it's a job at a local corner store or something like that, you definitely can't do it, however.

You can work up to 20 hours a week under ABA rules. Most schools strongly advise against it though.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:14 pm

RPK34 wrote:
curly3426 wrote:Any alumni out there: I have a job at bc that I had while in undergrad. Is it a bad idea to have a job as a first year. I know bc strongly advises against it but would love a students perspective!

Thanks

I know it's against ABA rules to work during your 1L year. However, William and Mary offers a fellowship to some students where they can get paid to do library work and other law school school "jobs." So I'm not sure how things like Federal Work Study programs factor into this equation. If it's a job at a local corner store or something like that, you definitely can't do it, however.

I think each state bar has its own rules. The ABA doesn't seem to have an issue with it (maybe there's just a max on hours). http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/migrated/lsd/membership/benefits/survive.authcheckdam.pdf see p. 22

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:18 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:
RPK34 wrote:

Thanks

You can work up to 20 hours a week under ABA rules. Most schools strongly advise against it though.

Good to know. Maybe it was full time work I was thinking of. I stand corrected.

zonto

Postby zonto » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:02 pm

You could also utilize your skills in a nontraditional manner by freelancing somehow. I'm going to try and do some essay/personal statement/resume/etc. editing and proofreading on the side. It will keep my English training fresh and also prepare me for the comprehensive edit component of law review write-on.

You could make knit BC beanies in your spare time and sell them to other students. Get enough demand and you could sell on consignment at the bookstore! :lol:

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:16 am

For those admitted, how long did it take after acceptance for merit aid offers to roll in? I was admitted 4/1 and I've been praying for $$; BC is my top choice.

zonto

Postby zonto » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:30 pm

Heard back a few weeks ago and still no word of any financial aid, need-based or otherwise. I emailed them this week asking for the info.

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:59 pm

mettasutta wrote:For those admitted, how long did it take after acceptance for merit aid offers to roll in? I was admitted 4/1 and I've been praying for $$; BC is my top choice.

I never even got the agora info and I've been in for at least a month now. I'm withdrawing and heading to warmer climes.

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:59 pm

anyone know if we can pay the deposits online by credit card?

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:39 pm

DR today. Sorry to ask but I can't find this answer in the last few pages; anyone know how I am notified of the decision?

EDIT: nvm, just got email.

I'm in! Now here's to hoping for some $$ to further complicate my decision process.

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:53 pm

ku1185 wrote:DR today. Sorry to ask but I can't find this answer in the last few pages; anyone know how I am notified of the decision?

If you get Decision Rendered on your status checker and you're an admit, you receive an email within the following 24 hours. If WL/reject, you just get DR but no email; the WL/rejection comes via snail mail.

patallica22

Postby patallica22 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:08 pm

Just got in via email too. Like everyone else, going to need to see a scholarship offer before I make a real decision....

Does anyone know when a seat deposit is expected if admitted this late in the game? Do you have to submit a deposit pre-financial aid notification?

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:13 pm

patallica22 wrote:Just got in via email too. Like everyone else, going to need to see a scholarship offer before I make a real decision....

Does anyone know when a seat deposit is expected if admitted this late in the game? Do you have to submit a deposit pre-financial aid notification?

I really hope they don't expect us to put in a deposit without seeing our financial situation. I'm going to ask for an extension and I'm hoping they'll give it to me.

Anyone know how long until we hear about financial aid? It's critical in my decision making process and I have to make a decision very soon.

sargell83

Postby sargell83 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:21 pm

in as well via e-mail

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:24 pm

I finished my financial aid app March 16 (one day after the priority deadline) and my package was done a couple of weeks later. I got my acceptance March 9, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:17 pm

patallica22 wrote:Just got in via email too. Like everyone else, going to need to see a scholarship offer before I make a real decision....

I was admitted fairly late in the cycle (4/1) and my deposit date is 4/25. STILL waiting on possible merit aid; if I get any $$, it's a game-changer.

patallica22

Postby patallica22 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks, helpful

monnguse757

Postby monnguse757 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:19 pm

Hopefully this helps. I got in about three weeks ago. I called the financial aid office today and they told me that my award will be posted on Agora tomorrow afternoon. (Fingers Crossed that they match my other offers)

IgnatiusJ

Postby IgnatiusJ » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:01 pm

Just in today. Why so late BC?

So is the consensus that you have to wait a couple weeks before getting financial aid info? Any word on extension of deposit date? In all likelihood I will probably withdraw, but I'm just curious. They threw me this bone way too late.

patallica22

Postby patallica22 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:07 pm

Yeah man, I'm kind of with you. Have sizable merit offers from similarly ranked schools....I guess it will come down to how much I like Boston itself. Pre-visit to BC, the answer to
IgnatiusJ wrote:Just in today. Why so late BC?

So is the consensus that you have to wait a couple weeks before getting financial aid info? Any word on extension of deposit date? In all likelihood I will probably withdraw, but I'm just curious. They threw me this bone way too late.
that questions is probably "not enough".

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:08 pm

Withdrew yesterday. Hope the acceptance moves along to one of you fine people still waiting/on the wl.

jpSartre

Postby jpSartre » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:16 pm

mettasutta wrote:I was admitted fairly late in the cycle (4/1) and my deposit date is 4/25. STILL waiting on possible merit aid; if I get any $$, it's a game-changer.

Exact same boat. I figure I'll need 20-27k/year to take BC over William and Mary with 31k/year

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:16 pm

jpSartre wrote:
mettasutta wrote:I was admitted fairly late in the cycle (4/1) and my deposit date is 4/25. STILL waiting on possible merit aid; if I get any $$, it's a game-changer.

Exact same boat. I figure I'll need 20-27k/year to take BC over William and Mary with 31k/year

I'm deciding b/w W&M and BC, too! I'm definitely partial to BC (better LRAP, prefer to work in northeast), but I probably would not be willing to pay sticker since I have a sizable scholly from W&M. Hopefully they're friendly to reverse-splitters with regards to merit aid, though, LSN charts suggest otherwise. :(

patallica22

Postby patallica22 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:04 am

Hey guys...did anyone else who was recently accepted just get their AGORA info via email?

If so, are the financial aid awards(or lack thereof) supposed to appear immediately? At the moment, it says I haven't been awarded any aid, but the email gives me a financial aid ID which I'm unable to input anywhere.

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:21 am

patallica22 wrote:Hey guys...did anyone else who was recently accepted just get their AGORA info via email?

If so, are the financial aid awards(or lack thereof) supposed to appear immediately? At the moment, it says I haven't been awarded any aid, but the email gives me a financial aid ID which I'm unable to input anywhere.

I was accepted on 4/1 and received my AGORA info via email on 4/7. My financial aid awards (or lack thereof in this case) have not shown up yet.

monnguse757

Postby monnguse757 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:47 pm

I was accepted March 23rd, got my agora info last Thursday 4/7, and my financial aid information was posted this morning. For those of you who mentioned william and mary, my offer from BC was marginally better than my offer from W&M.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”