Boston College Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tttlllsss

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby tttlllsss » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:39 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:I just think it's weird... You're an adult. Why would you bring your parents? Only like three people had parents with them and they kind of stuck out.

I thought it was kind of funny that all the professors and administrators that spoke kept bashing Harvard like nobodys business.

I wouldn't mind bringing my parents. They're a part of my life, and it would be nice for them to be involved in the next big step in my career. I'm not going to pretend that I don't have involved parents just b/c I'm supposed to be an "adult" now. I suppose it depends on your upbringing

And no, they aren't supporting me financially

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:51 pm

Yeah as a BC law student we don't care either way about people who bring their parents. I had a nice convo on the t with a few students and some parents.
Last edited by BCLS on Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:00 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:I just think it's weird... You're an adult. Why would you bring your parents? Only like three people had parents with them and they kind of stuck out.

I thought it was kind of funny that all the professors and administrators that spoke kept bashing Harvard like nobodys business.

I wouldn't mind bringing my parents. They're a part of my life, and it would be nice for them to be involved in the next big step in my career. I'm not going to pretend that I don't have involved parents just b/c I'm supposed to be an "adult" now. I suppose it depends on your upbringing

And no, they aren't supporting me financially

this topic has been discussed so many times, it kills me inside a little every time I see it. YOU were invited to ADMITTED STUDENTS DAY. It is a professional school for mature adults and your parents weren't asked to come. If you want to take them on a tour of the school on your own, then so be it, but they shouldn't be holding your hand during ASD.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:15 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
this topic has been discussed so many times, it kills me inside a little every time I see it. YOU were invited to ADMITTED STUDENTS DAY. It is a professional school for mature adults and your parents weren't asked to come. If you want to take them on a tour of the school on your own, then so be it, but they shouldn't be holding your hand during ASD.

1. I didn't bring my parents to ASD. I didn't even go to ASD. Chill out
2. It's not like anyone's parents holds his or her child's hand throughout this process. You're overreacting b/c your sense of cultural norms are being trampled on. Lots of successful lawyers have the support of their parents early in their career. You just aren't one of them

zonto

Postby zonto » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:19 pm

More details on the bolded please? (By PM if you're more comfortable.)

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:24 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

1. I didn't bring my parents to ASD. I didn't even go to ASD. Chill out
2. It's not like anyone's parents holds his or her child's hand throughout this process. You're overreacting b/c your sense of cultural norms are being trampled on. Lots of successful lawyers have the support of their parents early in their career. You just aren't one of them

I was generalizing, not directing it at you. just happened to quote you. I'm sick of this argument. I have the support of my parents, but I wouldn't invite them to a student event since they aren't students and I'm an adult.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:34 pm

Im sorry if I offended anyone... I just thought it was strange that someone would bring their parents to a student event. I mean my parents are involved in my life, I went home and told them all about the day and will gladly show them around I they visit, I just feel like ASD is for students. But whatever. Sorry.

zonto wrote:

More details on the bolded please? (By PM if you're more comfortable.)

One of the speakers at lunch was talking about how when he went to Harvard he didn't even know who the Dean of students was because they weren't really available or accessible. And the professor at my table at lunch said he went to Harvard and taught there too and said that the students at Harvard are "less respectful" and "act like they know everything". He also said the administration there only cares how you make the school look and not about you as a student. There were just little jabs at Harvard all day long. Really no mention of BU though.

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:49 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deepspacenine

Postby deepspacenine » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:58 am

ktaraq wrote:surprised. in at bc! 163/3.5. fordham didn't even WL me. ARGH

Do you have strong softs? Also when did you apply/go IR? Congrats on getting in!

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:18 pm

The question about bringing parents has been debated on many threads. Some people like parents to come because they are helping to finance their law school education and/or they want their opinions when selecting between law schools. I personally don't think it is a big deal. Whatever works for people. Hope to get to BC soon. What did eveyone who went yesterday think?

Oh by the way, when I visited a law school a few weeks ago the sign welcomed admitted students and their families so this practice is welcomed! Didn't see families per se but did see some parents. Who cares! Don't know why someone would be upset with this.

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:22 pm

harrijust86 wrote:
mango2281 wrote:IN via email today, 3.2/173!

Dates??

The GPA WALL HAS FALLEN!!! Let there be rejoicing in the streets!

The GPA wall has fallen a lot further than that!
:arrow: In with 2.X GPA, non-URM.

FuManChusco wrote:I have a 2.5, lulz. I think this whole thread would go into a panic if I got accepted.

Okay, I won't say exactly what mine was then. Haha.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Attorney wrote:
harrijust86 wrote:
mango2281 wrote:IN via email today, 3.2/173!

Dates??

The GPA WALL HAS FALLEN!!! Let there be rejoicing in the streets!

The GPA wall has fallen a lot further than that!
:arrow: In with 2.X GPA, non-URM.

FuManChusco wrote:I have a 2.5, lulz. I think this whole thread would go into a panic if I got accepted.

Okay, I won't say exactly what mine was then. Haha.

addendum?

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:27 pm

FuManChusco wrote:addendum?

Not really, but pretty much non-traditionally aged and out of school for a good while.

I've matured lots, I just know it!

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:28 pm

Attorney wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:addendum?

Not really, but pretty much non-traditionally aged and out of school for a good while.

I've matured lots, I just know it!

that helps. I'm just out of undergrad and have absolutely nothing worthwhile on my resume.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:32 pm

you future eagles better be watching the Hockey East Championship right now with BC

IsleMet

Postby IsleMet » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:08 am

BCLS wrote:you future eagles better be watching the Hockey East Championship right now with BC

As a former Terrier, I'm having a mini identity crisis. I guess I'll have to root for both! Or at least whichever team is doing better (Go BC!).

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:25 am

Got back from spring break yesterday to get my packet in the mail.

I'll be withdrawing soon, though. Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

ktaraq

Postby ktaraq » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:29 am

deepspacenine wrote:
ktaraq wrote:surprised. in at bc! 163/3.5. fordham didn't even WL me. ARGH

Do you have strong softs? Also when did you apply/go IR? Congrats on getting in!

i'd say i have pretty strong softs. no word about $$. probably will be withdrawing and going to a more local school for peanuts!

ps1187

Postby ps1187 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:56 am

Decision rendered 3/21. Expecting my rejection via post.

sparcarc

Postby sparcarc » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:14 am

Application still being reviewed 3/2/11

Hm

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:17 am

IR 3/1. Blah

mora6577

Postby mora6577 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:42 pm

Still IR 1/24!!! Just tell me already!

fetalposition

Postby fetalposition » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Has anyone successfully negotiated a scholarship increase with BC?

Perch

Postby Perch » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:29 pm

fetalposition wrote:Has anyone successfully negotiated a scholarship increase with BC?

Curious about scholarship negotiations as well, both successes and failures. Thanks.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:41 pm

Sure it's been asked several times but- how/when does aid come? I was accepted a couple of weeks ago off of being held way back in the day and was just wondering...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”