Boston College Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
harrijust86

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby harrijust86 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:50 pm

sidhesadie wrote:Nope, no criminal history, lol. No errors. My LOR's are great as far as I know.
I'm just 34 and a single mom...maybe that's not their thing. I don't have a lot of volunteer type stuff, since full time college plus work plus kid have kind of precluded me from that, so maybe that's it? I have no idea.
However, it does disprove the idea that if you're over 75th percentile you're a lock.
Guess not. Softs apparently DO count for something...I can't imagine what else it could be other than lack of softs they want OR the fact that I live on the other side of the country and am a single mom makes them doubt I really would attend, so they waitlisted me.

I think the last part is a safe bet. They didn't ding you. I would definitely write a LOCI explaining your willingness to move. But, mabye wait a week or two untill they are done reviewing my file?? Just kidding. Send it in. Your numbers are there, maybe they just dont know your desire.

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

harrijust86 wrote:
sidhesadie wrote:Nope, no criminal history, lol. No errors. My LOR's are great as far as I know.
I'm just 34 and a single mom...maybe that's not their thing. I don't have a lot of volunteer type stuff, since full time college plus work plus kid have kind of precluded me from that, so maybe that's it? I have no idea.
However, it does disprove the idea that if you're over 75th percentile you're a lock.
Guess not. Softs apparently DO count for something...I can't imagine what else it could be other than lack of softs they want OR the fact that I live on the other side of the country and am a single mom makes them doubt I really would attend, so they waitlisted me.

I think the last part is a safe bet. They didn't ding you. I would definitely write a LOCI explaining your willingness to move. But, mabye wait a week or two untill they are done reviewing my file?? Just kidding. Send it in. Your numbers are there, maybe they just dont know your desire.

they might just think you will have better options and are unsure where you stand with BC... those numbers could get you into better schools - if BC is seriously up there for you, tell them that

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:41 pm

Trust me, softs don't matter. I got in and I have NONE. Not one volunteer experience, extracurricular, or extraordinary talent.

philswfc2008

Postby philswfc2008 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:49 pm

In Review on 1/25....just checked, decision rendered as of a few minutes ago!

Wish me luck! If I read above posts correctly, an acceptance means that I should get an email with a video link sometime during the day. A waitlist/ding means I get a letter via snail mail...is that correct? As of right now, I have nothing under mailings...good or bad sign?

krad

Postby krad » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:53 pm

philswfc2008 wrote:In Review on 1/25....just checked, decision rendered as of a few minutes ago!

Wish me luck! If I read above posts correctly, an acceptance means that I should get an email with a video link sometime during the day. A waitlist/ding means I get a letter via snail mail...is that correct? As of right now, I have nothing under mailings...good or bad sign?

I had nothing under mailings and received the email/video about halfway through the day. Good luck!!

philswfc2008

Postby philswfc2008 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:01 pm

krad wrote:
philswfc2008 wrote:In Review on 1/25....just checked, decision rendered as of a few minutes ago!

I had nothing under mailings and received the email/video about halfway through the day. Good luck!!

Thanks! The fact that the email doesn't pop in right away gives me some hope. Still, now everytime an email arrives, I start freaking out! Of course, after getting 0 emails all morning, now post-status change, I've gotten about 3 spam emails in the last 5 minutes! lol

canesfan1225

Postby canesfan1225 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:17 pm

167 with a 3.6 GPA, I was dinged today by snail mail. Kinda surprised at that, when I did not receive a acceptance email I thought it would at least be a wait list offer but guess not.

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:22 pm

canesfan1225 wrote:167 with a 3.6 GPA, I was dinged today by snail mail. Kinda surprised at that, when I did not receive a acceptance email I thought it would at least be a wait list offer but guess not.

And so my hope plummets with this news. I have similar stats, and went IR 3/1. FFFUUUU

krad

Postby krad » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:25 pm

BC/BU are definitely unpredictable. You can only use others' experiences/LSP/LSN as a loose guide. Others with my #'s were straight up dinged at BC, but I got in...

philswfc2008

Postby philswfc2008 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:27 pm

canesfan1225 wrote:167 with a 3.6 GPA, I was dinged today by snail mail. Kinda surprised at that, when I did not receive a acceptance email I thought it would at least be a wait list offer but guess not.

I hope Krad is right, because I have the same LSAT with a lower (3.33) GPA....now I am worried haha

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:28 pm

krad wrote:BC/BU are definitely unpredictable. You can only use others' experiences/LSP/LSN as a loose guide. Others with my #'s were straight up dinged at BC, but I got in...

what were your numbers?

krad

Postby krad » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:30 pm

168/3.44

FWIW I think my LSAT helped, but my w/e and 'Why BC' were what got me in with my GPA. (w/e at NASA and Oxford U)

eta: I've seen people with higher #'s get WL/dinged and lower #'s get in... unpredictable!

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:51 pm

krad wrote:168/3.44

FWIW I think my LSAT helped, but my w/e and 'Why BC' were what got me in with my GPA. (w/e at NASA and Oxford U)

eta: I've seen people with higher #'s get WL/dinged and lower #'s get in... unpredictable!

I got into BU 163, 3.76 from BC ungrad... still waiting on BC

really strong softs, so strong that the dean at BU wrote me a personal note... so whoever said softs don't help is wrong

harrijust86

Postby harrijust86 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:11 pm

krad wrote:168/3.44

I like the Idea of BC as unpredictable, BUT my 3.1 makes it pretty much a lock that I will be waitlisted. But I'm under review right now, so FINGERS CROSSED!! BC, YOU KNOW YOU WANT ME.

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:14 pm

I want BC to stop reviewing me!!!!

krad

Postby krad » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:14 pm

harrijust86 wrote: I like the Idea of BC as unpredictable, BUT my 3.1 makes it pretty much a lock that I will be waitlisted. But I'm under review right now, so FINGERS CROSSED!! BC, YOU KNOW YOU WANT ME.

Good luck!! :)

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:16 pm

curly3426 wrote:I got into BU 163, 3.76 from BC ungrad... still waiting on BC

really strong softs, so strong that the dean at BU wrote me a personal note... so whoever said softs don't help is wrong

URM?

Generally, softs don't help much. So whoever said that was mostly right.

harrijust86

Postby harrijust86 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:26 pm

GAH! You were in review for over a month?? I might die if I have to wait a month. I'm already freaking out as it is. I went IR 2/28. Silly me!

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:26 pm

tttlllsss wrote:

URM?

nope.... accomplished prof. actor

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:54 pm

tttlllsss wrote:

URM?

I guess I should clarify. When I said softs don't matter I meant lack of softs won't hurt you, not that having good softs doesn't help.

philswfc2008

Postby philswfc2008 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:58 pm

harrijust86 wrote:GAH! You were in review for over a month?? I might die if I have to wait a month. I'm already freaking out as it is. I went IR 2/28. Silly me!

Yep, about a month and a half. Having said that, I *believe* some people were in review even longer than me, although I am not absolutely certain of that...either way, the decision clock has struck midnight for me, time to see what happens...best of luck to you

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:00 pm

philswfc2008 wrote:
harrijust86 wrote:GAH! You were in review for over a month?? I might die if I have to wait a month. I'm already freaking out as it is. I went IR 2/28. Silly me!

Yep, about a month and a half. Having said that, I *believe* some people were in review even longer than me, although I am not absolutely certain of that...either way, the decision clock has struck midnight for me, time to see what happens...best of luck to you

Yeah, I'm still IR 1/18 and I had thought that BC kept pretty close to that 8-12 week review period. Either way, congrats on getting your decision and I'm hoping it's a good one :D

philswfc2008

Postby philswfc2008 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:27 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:
philswfc2008 wrote:

Yeah, I'm still IR 1/18 and I had thought that BC kept pretty close to that 8-12 week review period. Either way, congrats on getting your decision and I'm hoping it's a good one :D

Thanks! So far, no word yet :|

For those who did hear back already from BC, what is the window time-wise from "Decision Rendered" to a possible acceptance email? I've read what Krad said (got an email later in the day), and have skimmed through some other posts in the past. It seems to me that if I leave work today (5:30 p.m.) without an acceptance email, that means I am doomed (has anyone else gotten an acceptance email on a different date from the "Decision Rendered" status change?). My status changed to "Decision Rendered" sometime between 10 a.m. and 11:45 a.m. today. Thanks!

ldboston

Postby ldboston » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:38 pm

I had my decision rendered come up at like 4:30pm one day and got the acceptance email the next morning at 9AM. I think generally within 24 hours is the turn around

philswfc2008

Postby philswfc2008 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:40 pm

ldboston wrote:I had my decision rendered come up at like 4:30pm one day and got the acceptance email the next morning at 9AM. I think generally within 24 hours is the turn around

I suppose though that the turn-around in that case could be considered a few hours, since admissions offices are closed after business hours, right? That would tell me that the turn-around would be really brief in your case

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”