Boston College Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gemini

Gold

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Post by Gemini » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:58 pm

BCLS wrote:I'm a law student and the law school is closed for students today-- admission staff may be in though.
Considering the fact that there's been no movement, I doubt it.

kad1026

New

Post by kad1026 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:39 pm

lhlee wrote:
kad1026 wrote:Is it too early to try to negotiate scholarship money from BC since it doesn't really seem like they have started giving it out that many offers yet?
What would you be negotiating? I havent been accepted yet, but it seems like they haven't given out a lot of scholarship info/$$.

Disregard this if they already gave you your finaid info.

Trying to get any sort of scholarship from them. I haven't heard if I received any yet.

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:21 pm

Most won't hear until March, according to BC

Might be a bad idea to try and preemptively negotiate

js77

New

Post by js77 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:56 am

Is the "hold" decision deadline of 2/28 an indication that most acceptances in general will come out by this time? I'm still sitting under review as of 1/25

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:48 am

Accepted via email off the hold list this morning! Very excited.

For any current BC students, can someone share insight on life at BC without a car? I live in Somerville now, and am totally planning to move out to the green line if I end up at BC. I just want to know if its realistic to be there without a car (i already know the B line is lame...but still. cars are expensive)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:50 am

^ Congrats!

Ohhh mannn come on BC! I've been IR since early December :| How long does it take??

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks! I originally applied in October.....so this was a long wait. Good luck krad!

ballpop

Bronze

Post by ballpop » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:58 am

From what I can tell---no Green line goes all the way to BC Law in Newton?

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:59 am

The B line goes all the way to the BC undergrad campus, but you have to take a shuttle to the BC Law campus. I've heard that not having a car is inconvenient but doable....i'm just looking for more information

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ballpop

Bronze

Post by ballpop » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:06 am

They have a new Express Law School shuttle at 8 and 8.45 supposedly and you can tell how the shuttle service is here http://www.bc.edu/offices/transportation/bus.html
if it is any help

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:09 am

Thanks! that is helpful actually.

msridiculous447

Bronze

Post by msridiculous447 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:18 am

ballpop wrote:From what I can tell---no Green line goes all the way to BC Law in Newton?
This is true. I'm a BU undergrad but I live on the BC shuttle service line in Brighton (one stop inbound from the BC B-line stop as well. It's do-able to take the T to the BC main campus and take the shuttle over to the law campus, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

The B line (which stops right at BC) is very very slow and has a bunch of really close stops. It's also a street car, so it has to stop for traffic and for moronic Boston drivers who pull in front of it, which equals a really, really slow ride. BU is 4 miles away from BC and it takes a solid half hour to go that far on the B line. Once you got to the BC T stop you'd have to walk a few blocks to the shuttle stop and then take the shuttle 15-ish minutes to the Newton campus. All of this can get pretty hairy, especially when it (inevitably) snows.

If you're living in the city you could also take the D Green line, which moves a lot faster, but you'd have to take a shuttle to get from the stop to the BC main campus and then another shuttle to get to Newton.

The T and BC bus are really great when they're working well but they really tend to fall apart when the weather gets crappy. As someone who has made extensive use of both the T and the BC shuttle, I'd really recommend living outside the city and bringing a car, if possible, versus living in the city and commuting via public transportation. Unlike, well, pretty much everywhere else in Boston, the BC Newton campus has really adequate parking.

Eagles1986L

New

Post by Eagles1986L » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 pm

Yeah, Ms. Ridic is right on...

I lived on the law/Newton campus my freshman year at BC. The shuttle runs pretty frequently from main campus to Newton, but it's definitely a pain to wait around for the bus. The bus also had limited service during holidays, etc. If it's possible/affordable to have a car, then I would recommend it for BC Law! The couple of mile drive from campus is much quicker than waiting for a bus, and parking is adequate as Ms. Ridic stated above.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

uk4220

New

Post by uk4220 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:39 pm

Eagles1986L wrote:Yeah, Ms. Ridic is right on...

I lived on the law/Newton campus my freshman year at BC. The shuttle runs pretty frequently from main campus to Newton, but it's definitely a pain to wait around for the bus. The bus also had limited service during holidays, etc. If it's possible/affordable to have a car, then I would recommend it for BC Law! The couple of mile drive from campus is much quicker than waiting for a bus, and parking is adequate as Ms. Ridic stated above.

Here's a link to their shuttle service for those who are interested.
http://www.bc.edu/offices/transportation/bus.html

Lived on the BC law campus as a Freshman undergrad. It's not the worst thing in the world, but a car would definitely be a good idea if possible.

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:49 pm

Hmm that is kinda what i thought/feared. I did see that I could live on the D line, and that might be more worth it. I will keep looking into it, thanks for the feedback!

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:26 pm

Just got in after getting hold pwned back in November... now to wait for the scholly info, glad to have an option in Boston.

ash8309

Bronze

Post by ash8309 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:57 pm

Any late Jan folks heard back? Current status is In Review 1/25.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

denny.crane

New

Post by denny.crane » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:58 pm

ash8309 wrote:Any late Jan folks heard back? Current status is In Review 1/25.
I'm in the same boat, although I submitted in mid-December.

ls24

New

Post by ls24 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:13 pm

I sent my app in 1/13 and my last complete date is 1/24 (which might also be my first, I'm not sure)... I haven't heard anything yet.

js77

New

Post by js77 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:59 pm

ls24 wrote:
I sent my app in 1/13 and my last complete date is 1/24 (which might also be my first, I'm not sure)... I haven't heard anything yet.

+1

Eagles1986L

New

Post by Eagles1986L » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Same as you Ash...submitted early January and in review 1/25

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

msridiculous447

Bronze

Post by msridiculous447 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:30 pm

ldboston wrote:Hmm that is kinda what i thought/feared. I did see that I could live on the D line, and that might be more worth it. I will keep looking into it, thanks for the feedback!
One option would be to live on the D line and take the T to Newton Center. From that stop it's about a 20 minute walk to the Newton campus. The D line moves pretty fast (it's above ground but not a street car) but the walk would be kind of sucky, especially in the snow/cold. That said, it would give you a lot more housing options, both in and out of the city (the D line, unlike the B/C/E lines goes pretty far out into the suburbs, which would be pretty cost-effective...it also gives fast/direct access to downtown).

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:32 pm

Thanks! I am actually looking into the D line more now. Someone posted the BC Shuttle schedule earlier and there is actually a law school shuttle stop on the D line in the mornings, and I could take 2 shuttles home or get a ride. I would definitely rather be on that line than the B line.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:01 pm

ldboston wrote:Thanks! I am actually looking into the D line more now. Someone posted the BC Shuttle schedule earlier and there is actually a law school shuttle stop on the D line in the mornings, and I could take 2 shuttles home or get a ride. I would definitely rather be on that line than the B line.
Yup, the direct bus starts at Reservoir T stop (on the D line) in the morning (its also on the bus route to the main campus the rest of the time).

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:36 am

I'm DR 2/25 as of this AM... yikes!

e: never mind, I did some research. So, I should be hoping for an email today?? Nothing under mailings...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”