Boston College Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
atkpl

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby atkpl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:02 am

law4vus wrote:So I'm going out of the country today for a month and all my mail is held. Still haven't gotten my BC letter so I don't know if I've been dinged or WL. Can anyone tell me if you have to correspond back to be put on the waitlist or do they automatically do it?

If it's the first option, looks like it's bye bye, BC for me.

I am in a very similar situation and sent them e-mail, but they told me that they have policy not to notify the decision over e-mail...

How did they respond to you?

atkpl

Postby atkpl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:04 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Fiiiiiinally got the letter (or rather, my friend in the States got the second one they sent). Rejected :-( I'm in at other places I'd rather go, so boo to you BC :-p

172/3.3
Completed 11/17, DR 1/14

Oh I was hoping you would get in!!!!

I can't believe they rejected 172 tho..

Was your UG international??

I still didn't get the mail btw..

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:18 am

atkpl wrote:
law4vus wrote:So I'm going out of the country today for a month and all my mail is held. Still haven't gotten my BC letter so I don't know if I've been dinged or WL. Can anyone tell me if you have to correspond back to be put on the waitlist or do they automatically do it?

I am in a very similar situation and sent them e-mail, but they told me that they have policy not to notify the decision over e-mail...

They didn't yet. I might have to call tomorrow morning in that case.

atkpl

Postby atkpl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:40 am

law4vus wrote:
atkpl wrote:

I doubt that they would tell you over the phone.

They said they exclusively notify by snail mail.

If they tell you the decision over the phone, please post so I would do the same!

I wish you the best luck!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:51 am

law4vus wrote:
atkpl wrote:

I emailed and called and the best option they had for me was to mail another copy of the letter to someone in the states. That's actually how I found out. The letter they originally sent has not made it back to me yet.

FWIW, I wasn't WL, just outright dinged, so I dunno about the correspondence thing, sorry.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:28 pm

Hi BC, want to admit me? I've been sitting around waiting... for a long while!

whytheface

Postby whytheface » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:43 pm

Merit scholarship email today. Numbers above both 75ths. Feel free to PM with any questions...
Last edited by whytheface on Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neonx

Postby neonx » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:47 pm

whytheface wrote:Merit scholarship email today. Numbers above both medians. Feel free to PM with any questions...

Off-topic slightly (okay, completely): but is your user-name a Modern Family allusion? Hilarious.

whytheface

Postby whytheface » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:57 pm

Yup... I also know all the dances to High School Musical 8)

kad1026

Postby kad1026 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:58 pm

whytheface wrote:Merit scholarship email today. Numbers above both medians. Feel free to PM with any questions...

Congrats on the scholarship! Has anyone else received an email?

Patriot29

Postby Patriot29 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:08 pm

I've been "in review" since 1/25, does anyone have info as to how long it typically takes for BC to send a letter after being in review? I'm just curious because all the other schools I've heard from have given me a decision within 3-4 days of being in review and I'm wondering (hoping) BC is giving me some extra review seeing how my numbers aren't exactly a match.

betweenthetwo

Postby betweenthetwo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:10 pm

BC means it when they say 8-12 weeks UR. I'm at week 9 and still nothing...

krad

Postby krad » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:11 pm

betweenthetwo wrote:BC means it when they say 8-12 weeks UR. I'm at week 9 and still nothing...

Blah yeah I'm at 8 weeks this week.

Congrats on the scholly!

StanDarsh

Postby StanDarsh » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:14 pm

Patriot29 wrote:I've been "in review" since 1/25, does anyone have info as to how long it typically takes for BC to send a letter after being in review? I'm just curious because all the other schools I've heard from have given me a decision within 3-4 days of being in review and I'm wondering (hoping) BC is giving me some extra review seeing how my numbers aren't exactly a match.

UR 12/3
DR 1/26

So about 7-8 weeks for me

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:20 pm

betweenthetwo wrote:BC means it when they say 8-12 weeks UR. I'm at week 9 and still nothing...

Well I went complete mid-Nov. And got held on 12/20. So that was like 5 weeks. But then again, I got held. :?

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Rejected! extreme low gpa, never had any hope anyway

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:28 pm

Does anyone know (from past cycles) how BC does scholarships? In order of acceptances? Are they quick about it?
I'd really like to start making some decisions. :? :(

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:31 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:Does anyone know (from past cycles) how BC does scholarships? In order of acceptances? Are they quick about it?

Combing through last year's thread, here are some general impressions

2/12 - scholarship email (most likely the alumni scholly)
2/12 - email "alumni scholarship" - $28k - must accept w/in 3 wks
3/5 - scholarship email
3/9 scholarship email "law school scholarship" - $20k
3/10 - scholarship email - $54k
3/12 - scholarship email - $90k (individual also received travel stipend for

People were asking asking scholarship questions starting in early Feb, up until late Feb, and apparently they were told (in a late-Feb email) that merit aid would be offered starting in Mar, on a rolling basis. Around early Mar, everyone was still scratching their heads, and someone pointed out that on LSN, a few big offers had been posted. Around mid-Mar, few awards had been offered still. People were getting increasingly upset/frustrated, and complaining that they wanted to be able to decide on a school, but BC was getting in the way.

Around Mar 20th, awards were due to be posted on "Agora", BC's fin aid website. At this point, many posters were upset that BC had dragged the process out for so long. Many said that they were tempted to put down deposits at other schools.

Finally, awards were posted on Mar 20. On Agora, many saw, for the first time, their NEED BASED and MERIT BASED aid.

TL;DR - expect to wait until mid-to-late-March for scholarship/grant information

rockyIV

Postby rockyIV » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:41 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
stlisforlovers wrote:Does anyone know (from past cycles) how BC does scholarships? In order of acceptances? Are they quick about it?

Combing through last year's thread, here are some general impressions

2/12 - scholarship email (most likely the alumni scholly)
2/12 - email "alumni scholarship" - $28k - must accept w/in 3 wks
3/5 - scholarship email
3/9 scholarship email "law school scholarship" - $20k
3/10 - scholarship email - $54k
3/12 - scholarship email - $90k (individual also received travel stipend for

People were asking asking scholarship questions starting in early Feb, up until late Feb, and apparently they were told (in a late-Feb email) that merit aid would be offered starting in Mar, on a rolling basis. Around early Mar, everyone was still scratching their heads, and someone pointed out that on LSN, a few big offers had been posted. Around mid-Mar, few awards had been offered still. People were getting increasingly upset/frustrated, and complaining that they wanted to be able to decide on a school, but BC was getting in the way.

Around Mar 20th, awards were due to be posted on "Agora", BC's fin aid website. At this point, many posters were upset that BC had dragged the process out for so long. Many said that they were tempted to put down deposits at other schools.

Finally, awards were posted on Mar 20. On Agora, many saw, for the first time, their NEED BASED and MERIT BASED aid.

TL;DR - expect to wait until mid-to-late-March for scholarship/grant information

You live up to your name very well

jamie9248922

Postby jamie9248922 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:58 am

I was UR 12/9 decision rendered 2/4....exactly 8 weeks

mybrain

Postby mybrain » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:43 pm

I just checked the status checker and found my status was changed to 'DR 2/10/11'
No e-mail yet.

What does this mean? those accepted always receive e-mail?
or status checker says something else than just 'Decision rendered'?

according to law school predictor, my stat should be enough to be 'accepted' to BC

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:37 pm

mybrain wrote:
according to law school predictor, my stat should be enough to be 'accepted' to BC

While I'm not doubting the strength the your app, keep in mind that LSP is less accurate for BC since BC's app process is so holistic

Lots of people w/ numbers above the medians have been WLed or rejected

StanDarsh

Postby StanDarsh » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:41 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
mybrain wrote:

While I'm not doubting the strength the your app, keep in mind that LSP is less accurate for BC since BC's app process is so holistic

Lots of people w/ numbers above the medians have been WLed or rejected

What's your reason for saying this? I'm not doubting you, I'm just asking because every school claims to have "holistic approach."

ash8309

Postby ash8309 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:45 pm

jacorbett wrote:
laurencita7 wrote:Just got an email for 2011 BC Law Public Service Scholarship Interviews. Interviews are being held next week in person if you are in Boston and by phone/skype for those not. Does not say how many people are selected to interview, how many will receive the scholarship, or when awards will be announced.

I was accepted on 1/5.

Did the email invite you to interview, or did it just have this general info? I applied for this but have yet to hear anything back.

I was accepted back in December.

I applied for this too but I'm still in review as of 1/25. I wonder what happens then?

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:50 pm

StanDarsh wrote:
What's your reason for saying this? I'm not doubting you, I'm just asking because every school claims to have "holistic approach."

Lots of data from LSN, this year's BC thread, as well as last year's BC thread (I combed through the entirely of last year's BC thread).

Basically, a lot of people felt they were in the same position as you (i.e., "admit" on LSP, numbers above medians), yet they were WLed/rejected.

I'm just saying that you can't consider BC an "auto-admit" school in the same way as you can for WashU, Emory, etc

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”