Boston College Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:08 am

I, what, huh?

This story is not "spreading like wildfire" or anything else. The one place I've heard about it is on this thread. I'm sure BCLS's section had a good laugh about it, but let me assure anyone wondering, this isn't what passes for gossip or intrigue here.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby tram988 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:47 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:I, what, huh?

This story is not "spreading like wildfire" or anything else. The one place I've heard about it is on this thread. I'm sure BCLS's section had a good laugh about it, but let me assure anyone wondering, this isn't what passes for gossip or intrigue here.


I'm surprised BCLS posted this, but JusticeHarlan you are wrong. People are definitely talking about this. Get into the social sphere!

letthegamesbegin
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:31 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby letthegamesbegin » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:37 am

I have a note at the top of my status checker that got added this morning saying:

"A decision has been rendered on your application to Boston College Law School by the Admissions Committee. A decision letter will be mailed via U.S. Postal Service within 3-5 days from the Decision Status Date and will be sent to your current address. "

but the rest of the checker is still:

Current Status: Your application is being reviewed.
Current Status Date: 12/14/2010


Nothing under mailings.

Any insights?

User avatar
scruffs mcguff
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby scruffs mcguff » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:19 pm

tttlllsss wrote:You make BC sound like it could foster an environment of ridicule.

Someone does something wrong, and everyone dwells on it for days, excitedly gossiping in their little cliques.

Sorry, doesn't sound appealing to me.


I don't think everyone would comment on or ridicule another 1L for giving an incorrect answer or asking a question. Unless it was the clique of like three gunners.

To me, it's not the sole act of answering a question that's the big deal. I just can't imagine a person who would try to answer a question as a 0L in a class. That's just absurd. The personality of the person who does that is just so strange to me.

And yes, BCLS is right; if the 0L gave an answer that did nothing to help any 1Ls there, then it's a waste of time and therefore a waste of their money being paid.

I also doubt that this would only happen at BC. I bet if a 0L tried to answer a question in another school, it would be met with the same ire.

If you're going to use this one person's comments to decide on a LS then, well good luck.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby law4vus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:46 pm

So I'm going out of the country today for a month and all my mail is held. Still haven't gotten my BC letter so I don't know if I've been dinged or WL. Can anyone tell me if you have to correspond back to be put on the waitlist or do they automatically do it?

If it's the first option, looks like it's bye bye, BC for me.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby law4vus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:47 pm

letthegamesbegin wrote:I have a note at the top of my status checker that got added this morning saying:

"A decision has been rendered on your application to Boston College Law School by the Admissions Committee. A decision letter will be mailed via U.S. Postal Service within 3-5 days from the Decision Status Date and will be sent to your current address. "

but the rest of the checker is still:

Current Status: Your application is being reviewed.
Current Status Date: 12/14/2010


Nothing under mailings.

Any insights?


Got the same thing here. Since they email acceptances, I think it's a WL/ding. :(

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby NZA » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:48 pm

law4vus wrote:So I'm going out of the country today for a month and all my mail is held. Still haven't gotten my BC letter so I don't know if I've been dinged or WL. Can anyone tell me if you have to correspond back to be put on the waitlist or do they automatically do it?

If it's the first option, looks like it's bye bye, BC for me.


I'm sure you could email them.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby law4vus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:50 pm

NZA wrote:
law4vus wrote:So I'm going out of the country today for a month and all my mail is held. Still haven't gotten my BC letter so I don't know if I've been dinged or WL. Can anyone tell me if you have to correspond back to be put on the waitlist or do they automatically do it?

If it's the first option, looks like it's bye bye, BC for me.


I'm sure you could email them.


Yeah, but the problem is that I don't know if I've been WL or dinged. I have a 3.3 and a 167, so I'm leaning toward WL but I don't want to email having been a ding candidate. You think I should email anyway and explain? I guess if I did get WL, the email would be like a mini LOCI, lol

User avatar
stlisforlovers
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby stlisforlovers » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Yes. They've been very polite and helpful with me. I'm sure if you explain you can work something out.

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby BCLS » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:59 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:You make BC sound like it could foster an environment of ridicule.

Someone does something wrong, and everyone dwells on it for days, excitedly gossiping in their little cliques.

Sorry, doesn't sound appealing to me.


I don't think everyone would comment on or ridicule another 1L for giving an incorrect answer or asking a question. Unless it was the clique of like three gunners.

To me, it's not the sole act of answering a question that's the big deal. I just can't imagine a person who would try to answer a question as a 0L in a class. That's just absurd. The personality of the person who does that is just so strange to me.

And yes, BCLS is right; if the 0L gave an answer that did nothing to help any 1Ls there, then it's a waste of time and therefore a waste of their money being paid.

I also doubt that this would only happen at BC. I bet if a 0L tried to answer a question in another school, it would be met with the same ire.

If you're going to use this one person's comments to decide on a LS then, well good luck.


Correct my friend!

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby law4vus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:16 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:Yes. They've been very polite and helpful with me. I'm sure if you explain you can work something out.


Okay, I went ahead and sent the email! Thanks for your help and I'll let you know what happens. :)

User avatar
stlisforlovers
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby stlisforlovers » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:18 pm

Good luck!

User avatar
HelltotheNo
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:50 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby HelltotheNo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:03 pm

Accepted by BC a few days back. Definitely my top choice for the time being.

laurencita7
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby laurencita7 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:19 pm

Just got an email for 2011 BC Law Public Service Scholarship Interviews. Interviews are being held next week in person if you are in Boston and by phone/skype for those not. Does not say how many people are selected to interview, how many will receive the scholarship, or when awards will be announced.

I was accepted on 1/5.

jacorbett
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby jacorbett » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:10 pm

laurencita7 wrote:Just got an email for 2011 BC Law Public Service Scholarship Interviews. Interviews are being held next week in person if you are in Boston and by phone/skype for those not. Does not say how many people are selected to interview, how many will receive the scholarship, or when awards will be announced.

I was accepted on 1/5.



Did the email invite you to interview, or did it just have this general info? I applied for this but have yet to hear anything back.

I was accepted back in December.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:29 pm

Fiiiiiinally got the letter (or rather, my friend in the States got the second one they sent). Rejected :-( I'm in at other places I'd rather go, so boo to you BC :-p

172/3.3
Completed 11/17, DR 1/14

IsleMet
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby IsleMet » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:05 pm

laurencita7 wrote:Just got an email for 2011 BC Law Public Service Scholarship Interviews. Interviews are being held next week in person if you are in Boston and by phone/skype for those not. Does not say how many people are selected to interview, how many will receive the scholarship, or when awards will be announced.

I was accepted on 1/5.


Me too! I wonder how many people are invited. I believe they give out 3? Nothing could keep me from attending BC with that award!

User avatar
rockyIV
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby rockyIV » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:08 pm

laurencita7 wrote:Just got an email for 2011 BC Law Public Service Scholarship Interviews. Interviews are being held next week in person if you are in Boston and by phone/skype for those not. Does not say how many people are selected to interview, how many will receive the scholarship, or when awards will be announced.

I was accepted on 1/5.


When did you send in the application for the scholarship?

laurencita7
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby laurencita7 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:16 pm

jacorbett wrote:
laurencita7 wrote:Just got an email for 2011 BC Law Public Service Scholarship Interviews. Interviews are being held next week in person if you are in Boston and by phone/skype for those not. Does not say how many people are selected to interview, how many will receive the scholarship, or when awards will be announced.

I was accepted on 1/5.



Did the email invite you to interview, or did it just have this general info? I applied for this but have yet to hear anything back.

I was accepted back in December.


Yes, email invited me to interview. I can't remember exact date when I applied, but it was def. before xmas.

User avatar
mora6577
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby mora6577 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Emma1 wrote:
BCLS wrote:
Emma1 wrote:I am so horrified that a 0L would dare to answer a question!!! Can you imagine his nerve!!!!! Grow up guys! I can't wait to visit!

Good we will run you out of the law school. Have some respect and deference to the students and professors. You must be lovely in person.

Yes a 0L answered a question posed to my CON LAW CLASS concerning the commerce clause and proceeded to look like an idiot who clearly had no knowledge of what was going on beyond a 8th grade civics education.



In your dreams LOL! You are quite the bully aren't you?
I am sure BC and its professors are just fine with someone answering a question. The professor did allow the 0L to answer, did he not? I am sure plenty of you 1L's waste alot of his time with your own ridiculous answers. I do have great respect for BCLS and so should you. I doubt admissions would be happy with your tirade!


After reading back a couple of pages, I really can't believe what's going on here. Emma1, I agree with you completely. It's been my experience that professor's can usually take a student's comment, however irrelevant, and turn it into a lesson, thus not wasting people's money. Really, BCLS, threatening to run her out of law school?! Grow up.

(BTW, everyone who wasn't following the thread, Emma1 was being completely sarcastic when she said the whole "I'm so horrified" bit...she was trying to make the point that the 0L had done nothing to deserve such ridicule.
Last edited by mora6577 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peter844
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:35 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby peter844 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:06 pm

Can't believe the ridicule on this thread of the 0L.

twintipping_bumps
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:14 am

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby twintipping_bumps » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:20 pm

BC Law is a great place. I haven't logged in for awhile but wanted to chime in on this. One section is 1/3 of an entire class. I am in a different section and heard nothing about this, never-mind the 2ls and 3ls. Any ridicule that is directed towards a person that may have made what might be considered a social faux-pas is bound to come from an isolated member of a sub-culture. I assure you, I have had my ups and downs during class participation, but my classmates have always helped me to feel good about myself. BC Law is an exciting and intellectual community where, despite the occasional dissent, everyone can feel comfortable growing intellectually. I think it's great a visiting student tried to contribute, and I value any individual's effort to contribute. I am sure the esteemed faculty member knew how to handle the situation, and I don't doubt for a second the majority of the section respected the situation, continued engaging the course material, and left the room focusing on their next task rather than lingering on an isolated incident. BC Law is a great school that has served me and a previous family member well, and I am just chiming in to offer a counter-opinion to an earlier statement that I feel does disservice to the BC community at large.

User avatar
mora6577
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby mora6577 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:29 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:BC Law is a great place. I haven't logged in for awhile but wanted to chime in on this. One section is 1/3 of an entire class. I am in a different section and heard nothing about this, never-mind the 2ls and 3ls. Any ridicule that is directed towards a person that may have made what might be considered a social faux-pas is bound to come from an isolated member of a sub-culture. I assure you, I have had my ups and downs during class participation, but my classmates have always helped me to feel good about myself. BC Law is an exciting and intellectual community where, despite the occasional dissent, everyone can feel comfortable growing intellectually. I think it's great a visiting student tried to contribute, and I value any individual's effort to contribute. I am sure the esteemed faculty member knew how to handle the situation, and I don't doubt for a second the majority of the section respected the situation, continued engaging the course material, and left the room focusing on their next task rather than lingering on an isolated incident. BC Law is a great school that has served me and a previous family member well, and I am just chiming in to offer a counter-opinion to an earlier statement that I feel does disservice to the BC community at large.


Thank you for posting this. I am strongly considering BC as my top choice. I started panicking when I thought the BC community at large would ridicule me so strongly for committing a potential social faux pas. Hearing from another BC student has definitely been helpful. Thanks!

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby tttlllsss » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:37 pm

Yeah, thanks for posting that.

I was beginning to think I was in la-la land or something. I've never seen mature students act in that way, and I'm in undergrad.

LSATNightmares
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Postby LSATNightmares » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:41 pm

laurencita7 wrote:Just got an email for 2011 BC Law Public Service Scholarship Interviews. Interviews are being held next week in person if you are in Boston and by phone/skype for those not. Does not say how many people are selected to interview, how many will receive the scholarship, or when awards will be announced.

I was accepted on 1/5.


Oh no, I've heard nothing! I'm hoping they'll still invite others to interview. :-(




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest