Boston College Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Countachlpsx

New

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Post by Countachlpsx » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:51 am

D/R 4/6/11. I havent received an email nor does it say anything has been sent out.

I think I know what this means, but wanted to see if anyone had any input.

THanks!

columbia86

Bronze

Post by columbia86 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:36 pm

Countachlpsx wrote:D/R 4/6/11. I havent received an email nor does it say anything has been sent out.

THanks!
When did your application enter into review?

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:42 pm

Got the agora login today, nothing under financial aid.

Are there any forms they need before awarding merit aid? I have my FAFSA in

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:45 pm

jpSartre wrote:Got the agora login today, nothing under financial aid.

I was wondering this also.. I have the FAFSA and NeedAccess in already and thought that was all I needed.. now I looked and there is stuff about some validation form, w-2, and an IRS 1040 tax return... uhhh help!?

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:58 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:

I was wondering this also.. I have the FAFSA and NeedAccess in already and thought that was all I needed.. now I looked and there is stuff about some validation form, w-2, and an IRS 1040 tax return... uhhh help!?
Nothing other than FAFSA and Need Access for now.

Email from 3-11-11:
Many of you have been asking about the documents that are listed as required on Agora. For most people, the only documents necessary at this time are the following applications: 1) Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and 2) Need Access financial aid form. Receipt of these two forms will allow us to determine your eligibility and make a conditional offer of aid. In order to validate your award, we will need to collect additional information--but this does not happen until after the deposit deadline.

We will e-mail you the Law Validation Form and request that you send it to the address on the form with any requested tax documents, after June 1. Please do not send tax documents to the Law School. All requested financial aid documents must go to our processor. You will be contacted via e-mail when additional documents are needed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Countachlpsx

New

Post by Countachlpsx » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:11 pm

columbia86 wrote:
Countachlpsx wrote:D/R 4/6/11. I havent received an email nor does it say anything has been sent out.

THanks!
When did your application enter into review?
2/16

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:16 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:

Email from 3-11-11:
Many of you have been asking about the documents that are listed as required on Agora. For most people, the only documents necessary at this time are the following applications: 1) Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and 2) Need Access financial aid form. Receipt of these two forms will allow us to determine your eligibility and make a conditional offer of aid. In order to validate your award, we will need to collect additional information--but this does not happen until after the deposit deadline.

We will e-mail you the Law Validation Form and request that you send it to the address on the form with any requested tax documents, after June 1. Please do not send tax documents to the Law School. All requested financial aid documents must go to our processor. You will be contacted via e-mail when additional documents are needed.
wtf i gotta do all that need access shit before theyll tell me my merit aid? what a pain

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:48 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:

Email from 3-11-11:

huge relief.. thanks.. now its a waiting/begging game i guess

mia468

New

Post by mia468 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:57 pm

So, for those of us who just got accepted recently and have not filled out any need access forms, there is basically no way to know if we get a merit scholarship before seat deposit date? That seems silly... am i understanding correctly?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:20 pm

mia468 wrote:So, for those of us who just got accepted recently and have not filled out any need access forms, there is basically no way to know if we get a merit scholarship before seat deposit date? That seems silly... am i understanding correctly?
Merit scholarships are awarded separately from need-based aid.

You don't even need to submit a FAFSA/Need Access in order to get a merit scholly

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:28 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
mia468 wrote:So, for those of us who just got accepted recently and have not filled out any need access forms, there is basically no way to know if we get a merit scholarship before seat deposit date? That seems silly... am i understanding correctly?
Merit scholarships are awarded separately from need-based aid.

You don't even need to submit a FAFSA/Need Access in order to get a merit scholly
tyty. was there time for you between when you got your agora login and when the merit aid showed up?

monnguse757

New

Post by monnguse757 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:55 pm

I also got the Agora logon today with no Financial Aid posted. Hopefully that means it's coming soon. (Tomorrow would be nice)

columbia86

Bronze

Post by columbia86 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:39 pm

Last edited by columbia86 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

curly3426

Bronze

Post by curly3426 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:55 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
curly3426 wrote:anyone know what time first year classes run to usually... such an odd question... 9 to 6 or 9 to 5.. or are there night questions?
This year at least, no required first year classes started before 8:40, nor have I see one run past 4 (or maybe it was 4:05). And, obviously, you're not going 8:40-4 every day (or even any day, necessarily)

Upper level classes are more spread out: I think I saw one at 8, and there are definitely ones at 8:30 in the morning, and a scant few even run at night (I think there's some seminar that's once a week 5:30-7:20 or something, for example).

Quickly looking through the schedule of posted classes for next semester (which may still be tentative), it seems none of the 1L classes start before 9, nor run past 2:35, at least that I saw.

thanks!

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:10 pm

mia468 wrote:
mettasutta wrote:
mia468 wrote:Hey all, I was just accepted last week and haven't gotten my admit package yet. Can someone tell me when the first seat deposit is due?
It's due April 15. I'm in the the same boat as you.
dang thats quick. Any hope of an extension?
Never mind, I just got my admit package today, and the letter said that April 25 is the deposit date (although the admitted students' website did say April 15).

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:43 pm

I think it's hilarious if BC really wants me to deposit without disclosing any of my financial aid info beforehand.

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:16 pm

I got my admit packet yesterday, and there was no merit aid. I called admissions and they said that merit-based schollies come separately at a later date, not with the admit packet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nillumin

Bronze

Post by nillumin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:44 pm

I got an email today with a merit scholarship of 18,000 a year. Pretty exciting, I wasn't really considering Boston College because of the cost....but feel that it might be worth it over big scholarships at Wake/Nova....it will still be expensive even 18,000 a year though.

I am probably going to schedule a visit at this point, I've never seen/been to campus.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:47 pm

nillumin wrote:I got an email today with a merit scholarship of 18,000 a year. Pretty exciting, I wasn't really considering Boston College because of the cost....but feel that it might be worth it over big scholarships at Wake/Nova....it will still be expensive even 18,000 a year though.

I am probably going to schedule a visit at this point, I've never seen/been to campus.
when were you accepted?

nillumin

Bronze

Post by nillumin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
nillumin wrote:I got an email today with a merit scholarship of 18,000 a year. Pretty exciting, I wasn't really considering Boston College because of the cost....but feel that it might be worth it over big scholarships at Wake/Nova....it will still be expensive even 18,000 a year though.

when were you accepted?
I think about a week or 2 ago. I applied in late January. I'm at 1.64/4.0

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Did anyone get any $$$ with numbers similar to a 167/3.4?? I was hoping to get some $ from BC?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:07 pm

SrLaw wrote:Did anyone get any $$$ with numbers similar to a 167/3.4?? I was hoping to get some $ from BC?
From last cycle: 167/3.44
In w/ 28K per year

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/scgoalieface32/jd
Last edited by mettasutta on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

curly3426

Bronze

Post by curly3426 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Any alumni out there: I have a job at bc that I had while in undergrad. Is it a bad idea to have a job as a first year. I know bc strongly advises against it but would love a students perspective!

Thanks

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:05 pm

curly3426 wrote:Any alumni out there: I have a job at bc that I had while in undergrad. Is it a bad idea to have a job as a first year. I know bc strongly advises against it but would love a students perspective!

Thanks
Only get a job if you can make your own schedule; even then limit to single digits a week. Between finals and memos there will be certain weeks that you simply won't have time for any outside work.

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:26 pm

curly3426 wrote:Any alumni out there: I have a job at bc that I had while in undergrad. Is it a bad idea to have a job as a first year. I know bc strongly advises against it but would love a students perspective!

Thanks
I know it's against ABA rules to work during your 1L year. However, William and Mary offers a fellowship to some students where they can get paid to do library work and other law school school "jobs." So I'm not sure how things like Federal Work Study programs factor into this equation. If it's a job at a local corner store or something like that, you definitely can't do it, however.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”