Boston College Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RPK34

Silver

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Post by RPK34 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:22 pm

Got 66k from BC, which is really making my decision tough.

Btw, does anyone know if the BC Alumni Scholarship is renewable for all three years? I assume so, but haven't seen any info on it.
Last edited by RPK34 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ukgrad

New

Post by ukgrad » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Hey guys- after ASD, I'll be withdrawling. The campus is beautiful- no denying that. I was accept with 3.8/166 and a 20K scholarship. The generous offer got me interested but the great campus and scholly was about the only good thing for me. Oh and I will agree that the university's honesty regarding employment was much appreciated. That being said, I agree with a previous poster about the insanity of not being able to get ahold of anyone in admissions and getting no responses from emails. The ASD (in my opinion) was poorly run and didn't really answer my questions. I was also extremely offended by I was treated by both professors and students after they found out I wasn't from a big name school or the northeast. I was really disappointed because the school itself was really nice... I just really didn't fit in. One professor even attacked
My choice of undergrad research. Oh well... Not for me but for those of you interested- know that it is really an impressive place... lots of student clinical opportunities, journals, study abroads, etc. Diverse faculty, too! Best of luck!

bochacks

New

Post by bochacks » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:51 pm

hey guys, so i was accepted 3/14 and my financial aid award just got put on Agora today. If there isn't any merit scholarship listed right now, should I not expect to be getting any? I did send them a scholly negotiation email about my other offers last week, but I haven't heard back from them yet...

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:19 am

ukgrad wrote:Hey guys- after ASD, I'll be withdrawling. The campus is beautiful- no denying that. I was accept with 3.8/166 and a 20K scholarship. The generous offer got me interested but the great campus and scholly was about the only good thing for me. Oh and I will agree that the university's honesty regarding employment was much appreciated. That being said, I agree with a previous poster about the insanity of not being able to get ahold of anyone in admissions and getting no responses from emails. The ASD (in my opinion) was poorly run and didn't really answer my questions. I was also extremely offended by I was treated by both professors and students after they found out I wasn't from a big name school or the northeast. I was really disappointed because the school itself was really nice... I just really didn't fit in. One professor even attacked
My choice of undergrad research. Oh well... Not for me but for those of you interested- know that it is really an impressive place... lots of student clinical opportunities, journals, study abroads, etc. Diverse faculty, too! Best of luck!
Hmm ... I'm sorry your experience was so unsavory.

Many posters have said before that you shouldn't judge a law school by its admissions dept, and maybe that holds true for this case. I've heard that BC has a very warm environment

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:09 pm

Are there still many people who haven't gotten their financial aid award yet on Agora? I applied a couple of days before the deadline (I know it's late, but it was hard to get the info from my fiance and parents).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:10 pm

ukgrad wrote:Hey guys- after ASD, I'll be withdrawling. The campus is beautiful- no denying that. I was accept with 3.8/166 and a 20K scholarship. The generous offer got me interested but the great campus and scholly was about the only good thing for me. Oh and I will agree that the university's honesty regarding employment was much appreciated. That being said, I agree with a previous poster about the insanity of not being able to get ahold of anyone in admissions and getting no responses from emails. The ASD (in my opinion) was poorly run and didn't really answer my questions. I was also extremely offended by I was treated by both professors and students after they found out I wasn't from a big name school or the northeast. I was really disappointed because the school itself was really nice... I just really didn't fit in. One professor even attacked
Sorry to hear that! I didn't go to the ASW weekend, but that's a shame to hear. Btw, what exactly did the professors say about the job situation when you say they were being honest?

IsleMet

Bronze

Post by IsleMet » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:40 am

LSATNightmares wrote:
Sorry to hear that! I didn't go to the ASW weekend, but that's a shame to hear. Btw, what exactly did the professors say about the job situation when you say they were being honest?
I actually found the Open House to be pretty well run, but maybe I'm easily entertained. I spoke with 2-3 professors and they were very warm and friendly--engaged me in my interests, wanted to learn more about me. I even went in to speak with Ms. Rita Jones about finances and she sat down with me for 15 minutes to explain my aid package (granted, I went into her office and knocked on her door). She actually recognized my name tag and congratulated me on being awarded a scholly.

In terms of honesty regarding employment, I found their perspective to be refreshing. The main point seemed to be "nothing is guaranteed any more at any law school and you shouldn't go to law school to make 160k out of undergrad." The message being, if you don't sincerely want to practice law, going to law school might not be for you. I think they said that 79% of the class was employed at graduation for the class of 2010, which was a significant drop from the 95%+ that they have had traditionally (please correct me if I'm getting this number wrong). Obviously, that's discouraging, but I'd imagine the drop off is taking place at most schools outside of HYS.

Countachlpsx

New

Post by Countachlpsx » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:37 am

I am Application in review 2/14...still have not had any communication, Im not sure if thats a good thing...

mcgillgrad10

New

Post by mcgillgrad10 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:02 pm

i'm in reivew since 1/21, this is a long haull

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

curly3426

Bronze

Post by curly3426 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:16 pm

for those who got scholarship, how did you hear about it - phone, email, agora

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:19 pm

I did not get a merit scholarship, but did email back and forth with admissions via the email address specifically for admitted students they sent out.

All my responses were same day--I'm sorry to hear some people are having really bad experiences with admissions. They've been very responsive and thoughtful with me. Even though they ultimately said they could not offer me more than my need based scholly, the email was really nice and not a two liner or anything. Just sharing a positive experience with admissions as well.

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Apparently have a 22k scholarship. Got no email, just appeared on Agora. I even asked someone in admissions if I would get an email first and they said yes. Sorry if this results in people checking Agora as much as they did status checkers.

hist_nole

New

Post by hist_nole » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:39 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:Apparently have a 22k scholarship. Got no email, just appeared on Agora. I even asked someone in admissions if I would get an email first and they said yes. Sorry if this results in people checking Agora as much as they did status checkers.
When were you accepted? Did it appear in the Financial Aid tab on Agora (the one that requires the second log-in using the Eagle ID)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:03 pm

curly3426 wrote:for those who got scholarship, how did you hear about it - phone, email, agora
Some have gotten e-mails first, others found it first on Agora. As far as I know, BC doesn't call.

cassidylane

Bronze

Post by cassidylane » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:32 pm

Hey guys,

I was admitted last week, got my admissions packet today. I'm very interested in seeing if I got a scholarship- what is Agora and how can I log into it? Has the info about it not gotten to me yet? So sorry for rehashing things you have all been over but my forum search has not been helpful.

Thanks and good luck to all!

edit: After mroe fishing around, it looks like an email with Agora log in info comes after admission.

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:58 pm

hist_nole wrote:
scruffs mcguff wrote:Apparently have a 22k scholarship. Got no email, just appeared on Agora. I even asked someone in admissions if I would get an email first and they said yes. Sorry if this results in people checking Agora as much as they did status checkers.
When were you accepted? Did it appear in the Financial Aid tab on Agora (the one that requires the second log-in using the Eagle ID)?
Accepted early December. Got no email. Appeared on Agora who knows when.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:12 pm

Got my ding from BC and BU via snail mail today. Shrug.
I went complete in early Feb. Stats are on my profile.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:59 am

Countachlpsx wrote:I am Application in review 2/14...still have not had any communication, Im not sure if thats a good thing...
I've been in review since 2/2, and no communication either. Since ASW has passed, I'm assuming a WL/Ding.

BEH321

New

Post by BEH321 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:16 am

anyone else DR 3/28????

MadisonEdwards89

New

Post by MadisonEdwards89 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:56 am

BEH321 I went DR yesterday too...no email yet...

BEH321

New

Post by BEH321 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:59 am

Same :( I'm trying not to be too concerned yet though because it doesn't seem that anyone has gotten an email yet??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mia468

New

Post by mia468 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:00 am

When did all of you DR's go complete??

BEH321

New

Post by BEH321 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:01 am

I was complete in early January and UR for 10 weeks

sargell83