Chicago Kent - Prospective Class of 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cooldreamer8903

New

Re: Chicago Kent - Prospective Class of 2014

Post by cooldreamer8903 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:04 am

pauwelsd wrote:Got my such in the mail today...no 'ships. Bummer, I really want to go there.
Same here. I am having a tough time deciding if I want to go to Kent for full price or take a lot of scholarship
money from a lower-ranked law school.

pauwelsd

New

Post by pauwelsd » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:16 am

yeah, i received a 15k/yr 'ship from DePaul. i'm hoping the folks at Chi-Kent are amenable to some negotiations...

minimalvanity

New

Post by minimalvanity » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:01 pm

Anyone have information on deferred applicants? Planning a visit to CK soon and would like to walk in with some stats re: % of deferred applicants admitted.

tenpenny3

New

Post by tenpenny3 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:57 pm

Has anyone went under review 1/18 and heard anything?

Scottie88

Bronze

Post by Scottie88 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:26 pm

minimalvanity wrote:Anyone have information on deferred applicants? Planning a visit to CK soon and would like to walk in with some stats re: % of deferred applicants admitted.
I am also deferred and am attending the open house on Saturday. I would like this information if anyone knows how common it is to be admitted after being deferred for further review.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

minimalvanity

New

Post by minimalvanity » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:47 pm

I am also deferred and am attending the open house on Saturday.
Scheduled a trip out there in about a week. If it's cool with you, you mind sharing some facts after your open house? Would have loved to get out there for that but couldn't find a flight soon enough.

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:10 pm

Just had a really nice phone convo with a 2L about the city and school...very nice touch and it made me really interested! I just wish my acceptance package would get here already

Scottie88

Bronze

Post by Scottie88 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:04 pm

minimalvanity wrote:
I am also deferred and am attending the open house on Saturday.
Scheduled a trip out there in about a week. If it's cool with you, you mind sharing some facts after your open house? Would have loved to get out there for that but couldn't find a flight soon enough.
No problem! I will post after I attend the open house and let you know what I find out about deferred applicants. Good luck!

minimalvanity

New

Post by minimalvanity » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:03 pm

No problem! I will post after I attend the open house and let you know what I find out about deferred applicants. Good luck!
Thanks! Good luck to you as well and I hope you enjoy yourself out there. I found a CK grad who is a solo practitioner here in my area and he seemed to be more than willing to share any information he could about the city and school. Meeting with him this weekend, maybe he'll drop a few tips on how to find the top of this deferment list eh? No worries - I'll share any info obtained.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LHC

New

Post by LHC » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:57 pm

I just got an e-mail from the Dean and am in!

Sent in application on 1/07, was complete on 1/12, and decision today (much quicker than I expected!)

I went to the Chicago Kent open house in November. I like how the school is located in downtown. It has a beautiful reading room in the library. A very urban school, no campus to be found. Great opportunities.

twairlines

Bronze

Post by twairlines » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:33 pm

In...complete 1/07

styx491

New

Post by styx491 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:22 pm

IN via dean's email today. Completed 1/12. Fast turn around, it was unexpected.

yabuddy

New

Post by yabuddy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:39 pm

Has anybody had luck or even tried to negotiate scholarships with Kent?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned the Kent Law Review EIC story that's been circulating...

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:48 pm

Really, i submitted around the same time as you guys, I think January 11, but I still haven't heard anything.

LaProfe14

New

Post by LaProfe14 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:20 pm

Does anyone know anything about the ease of transferring from Ch-Kent part-time to full-time? I can't find anything about it on their site :?

towkthi

New

Post by towkthi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:53 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned the Kent Law Review EIC story that's been circulating...
Yeah it is a disheartening story to say the least.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... ok_author/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AlphaIncipiens

New

Post by AlphaIncipiens » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:03 pm

towkthi wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned the Kent Law Review EIC story that's been circulating...
Yeah it is a disheartening story to say the least.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... ok_author/
Not a good sign. Chicago-Kent should probably just offer that guy a job to keep him quiet.

roofles

New

Post by roofles » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:29 pm

LaProfe14 wrote:Does anyone know anything about the ease of transferring from Ch-Kent part-time to full-time? I can't find anything about it on their site :?
I'm a 1L PT at Kent who is planning to make the jump to FT. I've been told that you should be able to switch after your first year, provided you are in good academic standing (>2.3 cumulative GPA). I found the below link via google. Hope it helps.

http://ask.kentlaw.edu/index.jsp?interf ... %3F&id=533

"Changes are permitted on a space-available basis. If all students can be accommodated, all will be permitted to change divisions; if all students cannot be accommodated, a lottery drawing will be held to determine which students will be permitted to change. In recent years, virtually all requests for a change of division have been accommodated. "

minimalvanity

New

Post by minimalvanity » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:58 pm

I'm a 1L PT at Kent
Hey, I was wondering if you had any info on those who are admitted after being deferred. Also, how do you like CK's PT program?

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:14 pm

minimalvanity wrote:Anyone have information on deferred applicants? Planning a visit to CK soon and would like to walk in with some stats re: % of deferred applicants admitted.
Hey I was deferred in December and then just got in about a week ago with 10k/yr scholarship. What does this mean? I am not sure...it seems like they really just pushed me back to a later wave and then re-evaluated me with that group. The email I got when I was deferred did state that they accept a high number of deferred people so I hope that helps...good luck

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

minimalvanity

New

Post by minimalvanity » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:31 pm

Hey I was deferred in December and then just got in about a week ago with 10k/yr scholarship. What does this mean? I am not sure...it seems like they really just pushed me back to a later wave and then re-evaluated me with that group. The email I got when I was deferred did state that they accept a high number of deferred people so I hope that helps...good luck
This is great information, thanks. Looking forward to the trip out to Chicago a little more now. Thanks again and congrats on the acceptance/scholarship.

Scottie88

Bronze

Post by Scottie88 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Hey I was deferred in December and then just got in about a week ago with 10k/yr scholarship. What does this mean? I am not sure...it seems like they really just pushed me back to a later wave and then re-evaluated me with that group. The email I got when I was deferred did state that they accept a high number of deferred people so I hope that helps...good luck[/quote]

This is great information..I was also deferred in December and Kent is my top choice. Were you notified via email?? Thanks!

roofles

New

Post by roofles » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:16 am

minimalvanity wrote:
I'm a 1L PT at Kent
Hey, I was wondering if you had any info on those who are admitted after being deferred. Also, how do you like CK's PT program?
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about being admitted after being deferred. As for the PT program, I am a PT day student who is taking the same classes as the FT students less one class per semester (contracts in fall and legislation in spring). The PT schedule isn't as bad as expected, although any PT program is going to be rough if you work a FT job in addition to school. One bit of advice I would recommend is to attend PT evening if you have work experience. From what I am told, it is both easier and you are matched with more like-minded individuals.

LaProfe14

New

Post by LaProfe14 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:24 am

roofles wrote:
minimalvanity wrote:
I'm a 1L PT at Kent
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about being admitted after being deferred. As for the PT program, I am a PT day student who is taking the same classes as the FT students less one class per semester (contracts in fall and legislation in spring). The PT schedule isn't as bad as expected, although any PT program is going to be rough if you work a FT job in addition to school. One bit of advice I would recommend is to attend PT evening if you have work experience. From what I am told, it is both easier and you are matched with more like-minded individuals.

What did you write in your statement about why you wanted the day program/how long? Is it harder to get into the day program than the evening? I really wanted day, but I think I put evening on my app. i don't know if I could still tell them I want day.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”