Chicago Kent - Prospective Class of 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSAT Taker

Bronze

Re: Chicago Kent - Prospective Class of 2014

Post by LSAT Taker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:18 am

Just withdrew. Good luck everyone!

gator6589

New

Post by gator6589 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Looks like I'll be attending Chicago Kent as well. As far as living is concerned I keep reading about how the area around campus is dead by 10p.m.. That sucks but I'm from florida and I figure traveling in the mornings to class in the cold weather is going to be brutal so I think I am going to opt for a close walk to class over trendy/night spot living.

Scottie88

Bronze

Post by Scottie88 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:17 pm

LSAT Taker wrote:Just withdrew. Good luck everyone!
Thanks for withdrawing! Gives hope to us deferred applicants. Good luck!! :D

deepspacenine

New

Post by deepspacenine » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Can anyone who lives in the Chicago market speak on Kent's employment prospects. I was impressed with their climb in the rankings but also have read articles blasting Kent for its tuition cost vs. employment prospects given how crowded the Chicago market is (not many jobs + Notre Dame + UIUC + Chicago + Northwestern + everyone from Kent, DePaul, etc.)

Anyone have some guidance/advice. I'm not from Chicago so I don't know much about the job situation. Also, does Kent have any national mobility in terms of name recognition? I would think people in Silicon Valley would know of it?

Berdman

New

Post by Berdman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:56 pm

Scholly info come in packet? Apologize in advance, my blackberry is on the fritz and making scrolling through pages excruciatingly long.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Berdman wrote:Scholly info come in packet? Apologize in advance, my blackberry is on the fritz and making scrolling through pages excruciatingly long.
Yep.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:10 pm

deepspacenine wrote:Can anyone who lives in the Chicago market speak on Kent's employment prospects. I was impressed with their climb in the rankings but also have read articles blasting Kent for its tuition cost vs. employment prospects given how crowded the Chicago market is (not many jobs + Notre Dame + UIUC + Chicago + Northwestern + everyone from Kent, DePaul, etc.)

Anyone have some guidance/advice. I'm not from Chicago so I don't know much about the job situation. Also, does Kent have any national mobility in terms of name recognition? I would think people in Silicon Valley would know of it?
I would contact Kent graduates. Also, talk to people in the chicago legal community. One thing I do is go on LinkedIn and see what jobs their graduates land.

singingkris

Bronze

Post by singingkris » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:22 pm

Is there anyone still in review as of 2/7?

euclid203

New

Post by euclid203 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:29 pm

gator6589 wrote:Does anyone know if you were to transfer from part time to full time if the scholarship would be transferable?
I am still in review from 2/7. Quite annoyed that I have not heard back from them yet...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

singingkris

Bronze

Post by singingkris » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:31 pm

euclid203 wrote:
gator6589 wrote:Does anyone know if you were to transfer from part time to full time if the scholarship would be transferable?
I am still in review from 2/7. Quite annoyed that I have not heard back from them yet...
Gosh, I wonder what's taking them so long. Or what the hold up is? Doesn't look like there has been a lot of admissions activity...according to LSN.

expressway

New

Post by expressway » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:21 pm

singingkris wrote:Is there anyone still in review as of 2/7?
I am, as well. I don't know what's going on. Did they lose our applications or something? Sheesh.

Crazzzybudha

New

Post by Crazzzybudha » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:58 pm

deepspacenine wrote:Can anyone who lives in the Chicago market speak on Kent's employment prospects. I was impressed with their climb in the rankings but also have read articles blasting Kent for its tuition cost vs. employment prospects given how crowded the Chicago market is (not many jobs + Notre Dame + UIUC + Chicago + Northwestern + everyone from Kent, DePaul, etc.)

I paid the ten bucks for US News full report. Dont know how much to trust it, but their employment numbers dont look so bad (or at least Ive seen a lot worse elsewhere)

Rats

New

Post by Rats » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:15 pm

So did anyone get an email about the Admitted Students Weekend today? I found it funny since I haven't even received an acceptance email yet. :D Hopefully they send it out soon, I need to know what scholarships they offered me. Too bad I had mostly written off getting any money this cycle and already signed a lease next year......

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sgp_lycee

New

Post by sgp_lycee » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:16 pm

deepspacenine wrote: Anyone have some guidance/advice. I'm not from Chicago so I don't know much about the job situation. Also, does Kent have any national mobility in terms of name recognition? I would think people in Silicon Valley would know of it?

I had to search a little but on the Chicago-Kent website, the percentages for employment outside the midwest were pretty small. I think it was 1-2% for other areas of the nation.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:20 pm

sgp_lycee wrote:
deepspacenine wrote: Anyone have some guidance/advice. I'm not from Chicago so I don't know much about the job situation. Also, does Kent have any national mobility in terms of name recognition? I would think people in Silicon Valley would know of it?

I had to search a little but on the Chicago-Kent website, the percentages for employment outside the midwest were pretty small. I think it was 1-2% for other areas of the nation.
I got a call today from a Kent alum working at Kirkland Ellis in NYC. Although I'm not attending, Kent does an impressive job with the recruitment effort.

Crazzzybudha

New

Post by Crazzzybudha » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:07 pm

For the admitted students day; am I the only one who would prefer a "Beer and Pizza" Reception to the wine and cheese thing?

jelly

New

Post by jelly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:11 pm

sgp_lycee wrote:

It's actually currently around 15% for other areas of the nation:

http://www.kentlaw.edu/depts/cso/employmentstats.html

Before this economy it was higher (around 20-25%), but a lot of it also has to do with self-selection/students wanting to stay in Chicago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawyeriA

New

Post by lawyeriA » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:07 am

anyone have any luck getting Kent to remove the stipulations from their scholly offers? Also does anyone what their scholarship retention rates are?

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:10 am

This is anecdotal, but Kent's got low name recognition in CA in general. Also, the CA legal market obviously is just very crowded, with a number of schools in Kent's range, as well as schools ranked clearly above it. And despite Kent's reputation in IP, Stanford and Cal here are in a different league as the nation's top IP schools. Santa Clara, historically well regarded for IP, is basically ranked similar to Kent overall.

I'm not saying coming to CA is impossible from Kent. But I do think that, realistically, it'd be very difficult without substantial legal experience somewhere else first, or phenomenal connections.

Scottie88

Bronze

Post by Scottie88 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:16 pm

As the first seat deposit is approaching..does anyone know roughly the average percent of deferred applicants accepted??

gator6589

New

Post by gator6589 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:01 pm

Wait, are some scholarships no stipulations because I cant seem to find any on mine? Just as long as I'm enrolled it says on the scholarship acceptance sheet. Where would the stipulations be noted?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Crazzzybudha

New

Post by Crazzzybudha » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:20 pm

drdolittle wrote:
This is anecdotal, but Kent's got low name recognition in CA in general. Also, the CA legal market obviously is just very crowded, with a number of schools in Kent's range, as well as schools ranked clearly above it. And despite Kent's reputation in IP, Stanford and Cal here are in a different league as the nation's top IP schools. Santa Clara, historically well regarded for IP, is basically ranked similar to Kent overall.

I'm not saying coming to CA is impossible from Kent. But I do think that, realistically, it'd be very difficult without substantial legal experience somewhere else first, or phenomenal connections.
This is every more anecdotal: I am considering Santa Clara and Kent mostly because of IP. I got an email from Santa Clara inviting me to an alumni dinner with SCU students who are in IP law firms. So I went to the website of some of the firms listed to check out their employees expecting to see a ton of SCU grads (after all thats why they are coming to the dinner), but I saw more from Kent than from SCU (although I didn't go through every person, and this was just a couple of firms, ....and these people are generally a bit older so graduate say ten years ago so it could have been a different law school world back then).

Still, if SCU is a comparable school to Kent and has the advantage of being located in Silicon Valley, what does it say for that legal market if only about a quarter of SCU's 2009 graduates landed full time legal jobs 9 months out? Oh and about 25% are unemployed. If a SCU grad can't find a job in the Bay area, having all those networking opportunities and externships yadda yadda, what are the odds for a Kent grad? Dunno, random thoughts

gator6589

New

Post by gator6589 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:29 pm

Has anyone figured out any good housing options? Anything relatively cheap?

deepspacenine

New

Post by deepspacenine » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:51 am

drdolittle wrote:

Thanks for the advice. You make some great points. Seems like the best way into the Valley for non-HYS + Boalt folks is through lateral moves and massive work/connections from another region. :oops: :roll:

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:46 pm

lawyeriA wrote:anyone have any luck getting Kent to remove the stipulations from their scholly offers? Also does anyone what their scholarship retention rates are?
I just tried doing this but they increased the dollar amount instead. 3.25 is steep but $20k is VERY temping. I had all but written Kent off and was 95% set on Loyola. I need to think LONG and hard about this in the coming days.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”