Chicago Kent - Prospective Class of 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RCJH

New

Re: Chicago Kent - Prospective Class of 2014

Post by RCJH » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:11 pm

Is anyone else still in review? I know I got my application out late but you would think they would have decided to put me into one of 3 piles by now, right?

phannahan44

New

Post by phannahan44 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:14 pm

RCJH wrote:Is anyone else still in review? I know I got my application out late but you would think they would have decided to put me into one of 3 piles by now, right?
+1 -- I'm getting very annoyed. Been "Application Complete - In Review" for what seems like months. It appears that people who have been admitted have their status switched to "In Final Review" before they're accepted so I'm a bit worried since mine is still not in "Final" review.

Can anyone shed any light on this? It's ridiculous how long schools just set candidates aside for. It seems like they forgot about me.

singingkris

Bronze

Post by singingkris » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:17 pm

RCJH wrote:Is anyone else still in review? I know I got my application out late but you would think they would have decided to put me into one of 3 piles by now, right?
Been in review since 2/7 and final review since 4/12. I'm still waiting....
At least we haven't been rejected!

RCJH

New

Post by RCJH » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:23 pm

singingkris wrote:

In review since 2/28. So hopefully I'm a couple a week away from any sort of decision. I don't know if it's wishful thinking but why would they string applicants along for 2 months this late in the cycle with no decision as opposed to just sending out a WL? Clearly we're not auto-admit/reject.

phannahan44

New

Post by phannahan44 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:26 pm

RCJH wrote:
singingkris wrote:

In review since 2/28. So hopefully I'm a couple a week away from any sort of decision. I don't know if it's wishful thinking but why would they string applicants along for 2 months this late in the cycle with no decision as opposed to just sending out a WL? Clearly we're not auto-admit/reject.
Good point. I hope you're right. Good luck to you all!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

singingkris

Bronze

Post by singingkris » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:46 pm

phannahan44 wrote:
RCJH wrote:
singingkris wrote:

Good point. I hope you're right. Good luck to you all!
Good luck to all of you as well! :)

singingkris

Bronze

Post by singingkris » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:53 pm

RCJH wrote:
singingkris wrote:

Come to think of it-Kent has been doing a lot of deferred-acceptances...when do you think they'll start denying applications again? If you look on LSN there hasn't been a lot of rejections for awhile. That makes me nervous.

coreno16

New

Post by coreno16 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:01 pm

Anyone else get an unrequested bump in their scholarship today? I didn't deposit and figured that they would have withdrawn my application. Apparently they still want me and threw an additional 5k per year at me with a 3.25 stipulation, 10k first year grant, and extended deposit deadline of May 2nd.

I will likely turn it down still as I'd need full-ride money at this point to make Kent appealing over WUSTL, but thought I'd let you know that they have apparently found some more money to give out to those above their medians. Maybe a perfect time to send a negotiation letter.

GL to those still waiting.

gator6589

New

Post by gator6589 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:40 pm

coreno16 wrote:Anyone else get an unrequested bump in their scholarship today? I didn't deposit and figured that they would have withdrawn my application. Apparently they still want me and threw an additional 5k per year at me with a 3.25 stipulation, 10k first year grant, and extended deposit deadline of May 2nd.

I will likely turn it down still as I'd need full-ride money at this point to make Kent appealing over WUSTL, but thought I'd let you know that they have apparently found some more money to give out to those above their medians. Maybe a perfect time to send a negotiation letter.

How did you find out about the additional scholarship increase if I may ask? Was it an email?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

coreno16

New

Post by coreno16 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:35 pm

gator6589 wrote:
coreno16 wrote:Anyone else get an unrequested bump in their scholarship today? I didn't deposit and figured that they would have withdrawn my application. Apparently they still want me and threw an additional 5k per year at me with a 3.25 stipulation, 10k first year grant, and extended deposit deadline of May 2nd.

How did you find out about the additional scholarship increase if I may ask? Was it an email?
Via email.

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:18 am

I got this same thing. Now I'm looking at $25k/year at 3.25 and 10k first year grant at Kent vs. $5000/year at 3.0 and 2500 grant at Loyola. I already put my deposit down at Loyola. Should I be reconsidering things?

Mattfl88

Bronze

Post by Mattfl88 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:08 am

aknecht wrote:

I got this same thing. Now I'm looking at $25k/year at 3.25 and 10k first year grant at Kent vs. $5000/year at 3.0 and 2500 grant at Loyola. I already put my deposit down at Loyola. Should I be reconsidering things?
I got an email increasing from 20K to 25K after I had already sent them an email declining their offer. That 5K isn't going to change anything so I hope someone else on here can get that money.

coreno16

New

Post by coreno16 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:48 am

aknecht wrote: I got this same thing. Now I'm looking at $25k/year at 3.25 and 10k first year grant at Kent vs. $5000/year at 3.0 and 2500 grant at Loyola. I already put my deposit down at Loyola. Should I be reconsidering things?
I might even give the 15k no stip scholly plus 10k first year at Kent a serious consideration over Loyola in your case for the extra assurance you wont lose your scholarship. If you're confident you can get above 3.25 then theres nothing wrong with taking the 25k. Stips scare me though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:29 pm

coreno16 wrote:
aknecht wrote: I got this same thing. Now I'm looking at $25k/year at 3.25 and 10k first year grant at Kent vs. $5000/year at 3.0 and 2500 grant at Loyola. I already put my deposit down at Loyola. Should I be reconsidering things?
I might even give the 15k no stip scholly plus 10k first year at Kent a serious consideration over Loyola in your case for the extra assurance you wont lose your scholarship. If you're confident you can get above 3.25 then theres nothing wrong with taking the 25k. Stips scare me though.
I'd usually rather roll the dice in this kind of scenario but the fact that you cannot earn the full amount back if you fall between a 3.0 and 3.25 really scares me. I don't doubt I can earn a 3.25 but I still think that's a tall order.

ashrh01

New

Post by ashrh01 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:55 pm

aknecht wrote:
coreno16 wrote:
I'd usually rather roll the dice in this kind of scenario but the fact that you cannot earn the full amount back if you fall between a 3.0 and 3.25 really scares me. I don't doubt I can earn a 3.25 but I still think that's a tall order.
loyola took all of the stips off their scholarships back on April 12- "We are pleased to inform you that Loyola University Chicago School of Law will no longer require a minimum GPA for students to maintain their merit scholarships. As long as you remain in good academic standing (which requires a 2.0 cumulative GPA), you will retain your scholarship."

emmac

New

Post by emmac » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:33 pm

coreno16 wrote:
I am currently negotiating with Kent to eliminate the GPA stipulation. I have already committed Loyola and will not go to Kent instead without a removal of the stipulation or a much much more generous offer. Has anyone been successful doing this? Kent's enrollment is way down this year. That's why everyone is getting off the waitlist and why scholarships are still an option. Students have the power to negotiate because fewer students are willing to pay sticker at either of these schools.

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:43 pm

emmac wrote:
coreno16 wrote:
I am currently negotiating with Kent to eliminate the GPA stipulation. I have already committed Loyola and will not go to Kent instead without a removal of the stipulation or a much much more generous offer. Has anyone been successful doing this? Kent's enrollment is way down this year. That's why everyone is getting off the waitlist and why scholarships are still an option. Students have the power to negotiate because fewer students are willing to pay sticker at either of these schools.
This is exactly the mentality I came in with. I asked specifically for the stipulations to be lowered but instead they raised the amount......twice. Now I'm looking at more than double the initial offer but with the exact same stipulation. So to answer your question, I think its a no go or at least a very uphill battle to get them to lower the stipulations.

Where exactly are you getting the information regarding the enrollment for this year? I'd be very interested.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gator6589

New

Post by gator6589 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:08 pm

Anyone ask for more $$ and get an answer we dont have anything right now but it will be noted in your file you'd like additional aid if so has anyone been given additional aid after receiving this?

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:42 pm

I just tried to negotiate away stipulations. No joy.

singingkris

Bronze

Post by singingkris » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:49 pm

Two weeks today since I've been in Final review. According to their message on status checker I should get a response within a week to two weeks. Sigh. 3:48 CDT, I'm guessing I'm not getting an answer today.

If I never knew what patience was before... I certainly do now.

emmac

New

Post by emmac » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:17 pm

aknecht wrote:
emmac wrote:
coreno16 wrote:
This is exactly the mentality I came in with. I asked specifically for the stipulations to be lowered but instead they raised the amount......twice. Now I'm looking at more than double the initial offer but with the exact same stipulation. So to answer your question, I think its a no go or at least a very uphill battle to get them to lower the stipulations.

Where exactly are you getting the information regarding the enrollment for this year? I'd be very interested.
If anyone else has this question, private message me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

christinem20

New

Post by christinem20 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:57 pm

still in deferred status since 4/1...nervous that I'm going to get a rejection. Does anyone know the amount of deferred applicants that they usually take?

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:18 pm

Was deferred for a long time. Withdrew a couple days ago. Good luck to all waiting.

jess

Post by jess » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:05 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny5959

New

Post by Johnny5959 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:49 pm

aknecht wrote:
emmac wrote:
coreno16 wrote:

aknecht, I must be confused. Why would you go to Loyola? 5k a year totals 15k. so even if you get straight C's at Kent, you'll be getting 25 K the first year alone. I must be missing something, because the opportunity to have tuition reduced by 75k seems like a very nice option. But I look forward to hearing about what I don't understand. Good luck with your choice!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”