Cardozo 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
auroojgulzar

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby auroojgulzar » Fri May 06, 2011 11:15 am

ask well thought out questions in your one on one assessment.

when I was waitlisted I requested a meeting with an advisor and def. came with my A game. suite, resume and loaded with questions. she did not at seem to be interested in getting to know at all and the conversation lasted as long as I had questions. once I was done I saw her quickly typing notes in my file and she was very responsive to my thank you emails and future correspondence. I also submitted my additional LOCI and LOR directly to her after my visit. a month later i got an email asking if I was still interested I said yes and a week letter was invited to come in for an interview to discuss my candidacy. the next the offered me a seat.

I think its all about being proactive. show them you wont sit around waiting for chance..

hope that helps!

PS- I dont think its a good idea to ask questions about something that can easily be found on there website.

jokerman

Postby jokerman » Fri May 06, 2011 2:31 pm

auroojgulzar wrote:ask well thought out questions in your one on one assessment.

when I was waitlisted I requested a meeting with an advisor and def. came with my A game. suite, resume and loaded with questions. she did not at seem to be interested in getting to know at all and the conversation lasted as long as I had questions. once I was done I saw her quickly typing notes in my file and she was very responsive to my thank you emails and future correspondence. I also submitted my additional LOCI and LOR directly to her after my visit. a month later i got an email asking if I was still interested I said yes and a week letter was invited to come in for an interview to discuss my candidacy. the next the offered me a seat.

I think its all about being proactive. show them you wont sit around waiting for chance..

hope that helps!

PS- I dont think its a good idea to ask questions about something that can easily be found on there website.

We see eye to eye... never like to ask questions that can be found easily online (there is some stuff you have to know exactly what it is called to find it), which makes it hard. Most of the information online answers a lot of questions but most of the info is standard across all law schools.

I have already sent in a LOCI that says NYC is where I want to live and reached out to many different professors. Basically, visiting the school will enable me to say "I have now even thrown the kitchen sink at them."

Anyway, as I am flying in from Chicago and its a tour of the school, my plan is to dress nice, but no suit. Though, I have to admit nice touch with the suit... any and all interviews call for one.

auroojgulzar

Postby auroojgulzar » Fri May 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks Jokerman and GOODLUCK. I hope you get a seat to!!!!!!

is anyone going to the coming Thursday sneak peak day from 2-6?

amys

Postby amys » Sun May 08, 2011 4:32 pm

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. I've applied to the May program and haven't heard anything. No rejection, no waitlist, no hold, nothing. I called admissions and they said my application was still with the admissions committee. I'm assuming no news is good news. Cardozo is my dream school, and I'll do whatever it takes to get in. Do you guys think I should go try and speak with someone in person? I already did that after my tour in early March, so I don't want to come off as desperate. What do you guys think? I also submitted an additional "why Cardozo" letter back in early April. Any thoughts/advice would be so great.

zdayar

Postby zdayar » Sun May 08, 2011 6:40 pm

amys wrote:I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. I've applied to the May program and haven't heard anything. No rejection, no waitlist, no hold, nothing. I called admissions and they said my application was still with the admissions committee. I'm assuming no news is good news. Cardozo is my dream school, and I'll do whatever it takes to get in. Do you guys think I should go try and speak with someone in person? I already did that after my tour in early March, so I don't want to come off as desperate. What do you guys think? I also submitted an additional "why Cardozo" letter back in early April. Any thoughts/advice would be so great.

I think you should speak to someone in person. I don't see how it can hurt (re: coming off as desparate -- it's not really desparation; time is running out for May progarm so you want to know; that's perfectly normal.

neptunestar

Postby neptunestar » Sun May 08, 2011 7:37 pm

amys wrote:I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. I've applied to the May program and haven't heard anything. No rejection, no waitlist, no hold, nothing. I called admissions and they said my application was still with the admissions committee. I'm assuming no news is good news. Cardozo is my dream school, and I'll do whatever it takes to get in. Do you guys think I should go try and speak with someone in person? I already did that after my tour in early March, so I don't want to come off as desperate. What do you guys think? I also submitted an additional "why Cardozo" letter back in early April. Any thoughts/advice would be so great.

Sounds like you live in NYC and a trip to Cardozo wouldn't be that big of a deal/time-consuming? If thats the case, absolutely try to speak to someone in person - you dont have much time to lose and classes for the May program start in a week.

That being said, if your last letter or expressed interest was in April, def draft up something for the Admissions office and send it off this week ASAP, preferably to someone in particular and not just the admissions stock email address. Let them know that you want it.

musicalmissionary

Postby musicalmissionary » Mon May 09, 2011 9:57 am

neptunestar wrote:

Sounds like you live in NYC and a trip to Cardozo wouldn't be that big of a deal/time-consuming? If thats the case, absolutely try to speak to someone in person - you dont have much time to lose and classes for the May program start in a week.

That being said, if your last letter or expressed interest was in April, def draft up something for the Admissions office and send it off this week ASAP, preferably to someone in particular and not just the admissions stock email address. Let them know that you want it.

Definitely address it directly to someone. I recommend:
Jeanne Estilo Widerka
Assistant Dean for Admissions

auroojgulzar

Postby auroojgulzar » Mon May 09, 2011 11:14 am

musicalmissionary wrote:
neptunestar wrote:

Definitely address it directly to someone. I recommend:
Jeanne Estilo Widerka
Assistant Dean for Admissions

I also recommend addressing your communications to Jeanne or Bianca Taylor

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Mon May 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Anyone going to the event on the 26th?

musicalmissionary

Postby musicalmissionary » Mon May 09, 2011 1:38 pm

blacklawboss wrote:Anyone going to the event on the 26th?

What event on the 26th? I'm moving in this weekend so I'll be around.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Mon May 09, 2011 1:39 pm

musicalmissionary wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:Anyone going to the event on the 26th?

What event on the 26th? I'm moving in this weekend so I'll be around.

The Office of Admissions

at the

Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law

cordially invites you to a

cocktail reception in honor of the Class of 2014

hosted by

VICE DEAN EDWARD STEIN AND STEVE LIN

Thursday, May 26, 2011
6:30 - 8:00 PM

musicalmissionary

Postby musicalmissionary » Mon May 09, 2011 1:46 pm

Sure, I'll be there, two weeks deep into summer classes.

jokerman

Postby jokerman » Mon May 09, 2011 1:47 pm

I have a deep interest in attending Cardozo as many of you know, but a question did arise in my head today that I would like a quick answer to.

Does anyone know if there is any bias (it would likely be sub-conscious) by the professors or any faculty at Cardozo against non-jewish students? It is my understanding from all I have read and heard that there is NONE whatsoever and that the school's jewish affiliation only means the library is closed for the sabbath and any food catered for the school is kosher.

I want to make it clear that I expect a huge response of "no bias at all", "no way how could you think that", and so forth.

The only reason I ask is I know some religiously affiliated schools are known for being that way. I attended private (Catholic) schools from K-12 and had seen some bias (granted *it [edited] wasn't college).

musicalmissionary

Postby musicalmissionary » Mon May 09, 2011 1:57 pm

jokerman wrote:I have a deep interest in attending Cardozo as many of you know, but a question did arise in my head today that I would like a quick answer to.

Does anyone know if there is any bias (it would likely be sub-conscious) by the professors or any faculty at Cardozo against non-jewish students? It is my understanding from all I have read and heard that there is NONE whatsoever and that the school's jewish affiliation only means the library is closed for the sabbath and any food catered for the school is kosher.

I want to make it clear that I expect a huge response of "no bias at all", "no way how could you think that", and so forth.

The only reason I ask is I know some religiously affiliated schools are known for being that way. I attended private (Catholic) schools from K-12 and had seen some bias (granted is wasn't college).

Considering I am Muslim and that I wrote an entire Diversity Statement about this fact, I'm going to say no as far as admissions is concerned. And aren't exams taken anonymously? If so, I can't see it being an issue there either.

jokerman

Postby jokerman » Mon May 09, 2011 2:03 pm

musicalmissionary wrote:
jokerman wrote:I have a deep interest in attending Cardozo as many of you know, but a question did arise in my head today that I would like a quick answer to.

The only reason I ask is I know some religiously affiliated schools are known for being that way. I attended private (Catholic) schools from K-12 and had seen some bias (granted is wasn't college).

Considering I am Muslim and that I wrote an entire Diversity Statement about this fact, I'm going to say no as far as admissions is concerned. And aren't exams taken anonymously? If so, I can't see it being an issue there either.

Very true... the question had been bothering me today and I knew it most likely "absurd", but my previous experiences made me feel it was necessary to ask.

On another note, I am wondering if other law schools had a May 1 deposit deadline, which has the potential to open up a few may/fall seats this week?

krb89f

Postby krb89f » Tue May 10, 2011 12:16 pm

It's been a little quiet... any new movement this week? It is getting awfully close to the 17th...

eel7566

Postby eel7566 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:04 pm

I just got into the May program today and need last minute housing...

If anyone can help me out, let me know.

musicalmissionary

Postby musicalmissionary » Tue May 10, 2011 11:25 pm

eel7566 wrote:I just got into the May program today and need last minute housing...

If anyone can help me out, let me know.

Congrats! Despite The Alabama being advertised as only available for incoming Fall students, I managed to ask and receive a Summer lease on a studio (expensive yes, but not overly so when considering some extra costs I'll be saving like transportation, internet and maybe some food costs by being able to eat more meals at home rather than at restaurants). They told me it's rarely done and that I got lucky they happened to have one available this Summer. So this might not work, but I would certainly go ahead and ask just in case.

If that doesn't work, the quickest thing is probably going to be Craigslist "sublets / temporary" section. I went ahead and looked at a few places while I was in the city a few weeks ago just to compare and I saw a few good short-term options ranging from $1200 on up for sublet rooms in 2 and 3 bedroom apartments. One of these can buy you some time to meet people over the Summer and then try getting something longer-term starting Fall, perhaps with a fellow student. There are tons of options if you consider East Village, West Village, Financial District, Chelsea and even more if you consider Brooklyn (which I thought was too far to start off).

You can also try to post on the admitted students Facebook page, but so far it's been mostly Fall students who've posted on there. Good luck, and see you next week. Feel free to PM if you have more specific questions.

holidayfromreal

Postby holidayfromreal » Wed May 11, 2011 11:20 am

Any may student (or someone currently in the city) want to buy my elements book (it's highlighted but in great condition and I got an A so hopefully my highlighting is good). Message me if you're interested. I'm trying to sell it before I move at the end of may

sgp_lycee

Postby sgp_lycee » Wed May 11, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi

I just got accepted to Cardozo with a pretty ok scholly. I won't be able to visit the school before June, so I was wondering if any could post their thoughts on the school. I've been looking around TLS and haven't liked what I've read but I also know to take things on here with a grain of salt. I'm not really interested in BigLaw; so any thoughts on Cardozo would be greatly appreciated!

jokerman

Postby jokerman » Thu May 12, 2011 8:53 am

So I visited Cardozo yesterday and it went well. I sent an e-mail telling the admissions office (directed e-mail to Dean Widerka and CC'd general lawinfo e-mail) how I loved the visit and so on. Then got a reply from Dean W thanking me for my kind words... However it also asked if I spoke with an admissions counselor... Which I did not because I did not know to do that (36 hrs w/o sleep and/or ignorance to blame). So I am wondering what more I can do to get off the WL outside of meeting in-person with a admissions counselor?

Other stuff I have done already: LOCI to Deans (FedEx Overnite), updates on work/achievements, speaking with various professors (along with thank you notes/e-mails), and the Tour

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Thu May 12, 2011 9:02 am

Just withdrew with a $75,000 merit scholarship, so hopefully this will help pull some people off the WL or at least free up some money for people who need it.

Youcantstopsteel

Postby Youcantstopsteel » Fri May 13, 2011 10:00 am

Regretfully withdrew from May last night for in state and 7,500 a year off at Maryland. Hope one of you gets my spot. Cardozo's great. Good luck.

inlays85

Postby inlays85 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:59 pm

Youcantstopsteel wrote:Regretfully withdrew from May last night for in state and 7,500 a year off at Maryland. Hope one of you gets my spot. Cardozo's great. Good luck.

Best of luck and congrats to the person who gets the spot.

*Crosses fingers...but does not hold breath.

inlays85

Postby inlays85 » Mon May 16, 2011 2:42 am

Day of reckoning is nearly upon those of us who were wait listed for the May program. Any last thoughts? How many of you would still accept at this point?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”