Cardozo 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kruiz88

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby kruiz88 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:41 pm

blacklawboss wrote:Still haven't sent my seat deposit. Waiting on one last school and it's friday. If I don't get it today will send on monday afternoon

+1

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:03 pm

i<3ny wrote:Did anyone else receive an email today asking if you were still interested in being on the WL? I'm guessing it was a mass email trying to weed out people who are not interested anymore but havent withdrawn.

Yep. I got it too. I wasn't ready to let go of the idea of Cardozo just yet even though it would a terrible choice for me financially. I have a decent scholarship at a tier 2 and I'm going into public interest, so I can't see spending 4x as much for dozo. So I guess I'll have to drop off the list. Good luck to those sticking with it. I think it's a great up-and-coming school.

abonda01

Postby abonda01 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:59 pm

Lawst wrote:
i<3ny wrote:Did anyone else receive an email today asking if you were still interested in being on the WL? I'm guessing it was a mass email trying to weed out people who are not interested anymore but havent withdrawn.

Yep. I got it too. I wasn't ready to let go of the idea of Cardozo just yet even though it would a terrible choice for me financially. I have a decent scholarship at a tier 2 and I'm going into public interest, so I can't see spending 4x as much for dozo. So I guess I'll have to drop off the list. Good luck to those sticking with it. I think it's a great up-and-coming school.

Good luck!

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:16 pm

If you don't have a scholarship at Cardozo first semester, but you do well in school, can you get a scholarship later on?

afc1910

Postby afc1910 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:16 am

Last edited by afc1910 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:16 am

afc1910 wrote:
lawfreak wrote:If you don't have a scholarship at Cardozo first semester, but you do well in school, can you get a scholarship later on?

http://www.cardozo.yu.edu/MemberContent ... entid=1050

read the first paragraph

Thanks but does that first paragragh pertain to the May program students as well?

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:13 pm

lawfreak wrote:
afc1910 wrote:
lawfreak wrote:If you don't have a scholarship at Cardozo first semester, but you do well in school, can you get a scholarship later on?

http://www.cardozo.yu.edu/MemberContent ... entid=1050

read the first paragraph

Thanks but does that first paragragh pertain to the May program students as well?

"following their first year students are considered...."

after the first year may students are filtered in and ranked with full time students....so yeah probably

handprints

Postby handprints » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:20 pm

has anyone been successful at negotiating scholarship $$$ with Cardozo?

kelliortega

Postby kelliortega » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:34 pm

Cardozo emailed me this morning:

Thank you for your interest in Cardozo Law. At this time, our Committee would like for me to conduct a telephone interview with you to further discuss your candidacy for our 2011 entering class. Please let me know your availability this week, Tuesday, April 12 – Friday, April 15, EST, during regular business hours.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

With warm regards,

--
Jeanne Estilo Widerka, Esq.
Assistant Dean for Admissions
Cardozo School of Law

Any thoughts on whether I s hould I be worried or excited? Anyone have similar responses from Cardozo like this? My file still says "Complete and under review." I'm slightly freaking out. I know this is better than a denial, but I was not expecting this! Any thoughts are appreciated :)

neptunestar

Postby neptunestar » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:42 pm

kelliortega wrote:Any thoughts on whether I s hould I be worried or excited? Anyone have similar responses from Cardozo like this? My file still says "Complete and under review." I'm slightly freaking out. I know this is better than a denial, but I was not expecting this! Any thoughts are appreciated :)

I would say this is def a good sign. If they wanted to ding you or WL you - they would have done so already so look at this as a great opportunity to prove yourself/your excitement for 'Dozo. Good luck!

jokerman

Postby jokerman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:41 pm

kelliortega wrote:Any thoughts on whether I should I be worried or excited? Anyone have similar responses from Cardozo like this? My file still says "Complete and under review." I'm slightly freaking out. I know this is better than a denial, but I was not expecting this! Any thoughts are appreciated :)

Two questions:

1) Any advice for how to handle and/or what to expect in a phone interview like the one quoted above?

2) What are thoughts on sending a LOCI (letter of continued interest) via e-mail or snail mail?

:)

kelliortega

Postby kelliortega » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:12 pm

thanks neptunestar! I thought the same thing :)

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Are there any current students willing to answer some questions about the school? I can't find a 'dozo thread in the "Discuss Your School" forum.

EDIT: I'll go ahead and ask a question here anyway: has anyone heard of Cardozo practicing "section stacking" (placing all their scholarship recipients in one section)?

nymario

Postby nymario » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:44 am

I'm a 1L here, PM any questions if you'd like. As to the specific question, I don't think it's necessarily true. I've heard rumors on TLS but never actually here. There's no denying that GPA cutoffs can be rough, but if you feel you're a strong student, there are a lot of poor performers in every class. In fact, all sections that include regular + May entry students have a set percentage of May entry students (who typically but not ALWAYS have slightly lower numbers -- but that's balanced by the lighter workload).

holidayfromreal

Postby holidayfromreal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:14 pm

ku1185 wrote:Are there any current students willing to answer some questions about the school? I can't find a 'dozo thread in the "Discuss Your School" forum.

EDIT: I'll go ahead and ask a question here anyway: has anyone heard of Cardozo practicing "section stacking" (placing all their scholarship recipients in one section)?

I'm a 1L too if anyone has questions

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:19 pm

holidayfromreal wrote:
ku1185 wrote:Are there any current students willing to answer some questions about the school? I can't find a 'dozo thread in the "Discuss Your School" forum.

I'm a 1L too if anyone has questions

Are you confident in your decision thus far? Did you turn down higher ranking for more $?

zdayar

Postby zdayar » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:12 pm

Just submitted my deposit. Yay!!

kelliortega

Postby kelliortega » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:18 pm

jokerman wrote:
kelliortega wrote:Any thoughts on whether I should I be worried or excited? Anyone have similar responses from Cardozo like this? My file still says "Complete and under review." I'm slightly freaking out. I know this is better than a denial, but I was not expecting this! Any thoughts are appreciated :)

Two questions:

1) Any advice for how to handle and/or what to expect in a phone interview like the one quoted above?

2) What are thoughts on sending a LOCI (letter of continued interest) via e-mail or snail mail?

:)

hey! I just had my phone interview, it was super breezy, she basically asked me about why I wanted to study law and my opinions on NYC, etc. Pretty much a casual conversation, I think they just wanted better insight in to my personality. If you're personable and a good conversationalist its nothing to worry about! Good luck!

musicalmissionary

Postby musicalmissionary » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:17 pm

This might have been covered earlier in this thread or elsewhere. If so, I'd appreciate someone pointing me to it.

Does anyone know what the schedule looks like for the May part-time day program? Apparently they are still accepting students for it and I'm trying to decide how hard I want to lobby for it or if I want to lobby full force for the Fall program.

Yardieatty

Postby Yardieatty » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:58 am

kelliortega wrote:Cardozo emailed me this morning:

Any thoughts on whether I s hould I be worried or excited? Anyone have similar responses from Cardozo like this? My file still says "Complete and under review." I'm slightly freaking out. I know this is better than a denial, but I was not expecting this! Any thoughts are appreciated :)

Perhaps too late to be of any assistance to you but hopefully will help others. I was actually asked to go in for an in person interview earlier in the cycle. I was nervous and worried that they might want me to brown nose, I decided to go in anyway. Happy I did. The interview was really more about getting to know who I was as a person. I walked away with a full guaranteed scholarship (no stipulations). For anyone who is asked to interview, accept it! It really is no biggie.

abonda01

Postby abonda01 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:34 am

Um yea...so Cardozo has put my application on hold. The fuck?

musicalmissionary

Postby musicalmissionary » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:28 pm

Just got accepted into the May program after being wait listed in January. Last week I sent a LOCI + additional LOR from a partner of the law firm I work at. Apparently it worked because my numbers are well below their 25% (156, 3.11). But I have 10 years of work experience, an MBA and an engineering degree along with a pretty standout diversity statement (Catholic white dude converting to Islam to marry my Saudi wife and my desire to be an exemplary modern/moderate Muslim in today's increasingly Islamophobic world).

I'm very excited about the prospect of accepting. But this really puts me in a squeeze because my wife just landed her medical residency in Springfield, MA, which led me to rush a last second application to UConn. I guess I'll just have to send UConn a letter begging for an expedited decision because they are the only option I would choose over this. And I need to choose pretty frickin quick!

jokerman

Postby jokerman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:24 pm

musicalmissionary wrote:Just got accepted into the May program after being wait listed in January. Last week I sent a LOCI + additional LOR from a partner of the law firm I work at. Apparently it worked because my numbers are well below their 25% (156, 3.11). But I have 10 years of work experience, an MBA and an engineering degree along with a pretty standout diversity statement (Catholic white dude converting to Islam to marry my Saudi wife and my desire to be an exemplary modern/moderate Muslim in today's increasingly Islamophobic world).

I'm very excited about the prospect of accepting. But this really puts me in a squeeze because my wife just landed her medical residency in Springfield, MA, which led me to rush a last second application to UConn. I guess I'll just have to send UConn a letter begging for an expedited decision because they are the only option I would choose over this. And I need to choose pretty frickin quick!

CONGRATS!!!... I am so jealous of you, but at the same time encouraged as my numbers are similar to yours and I have work experience as well... I hope everything works out for the best for you whether it is at Cardozo or UConn... Cheers!

jokerman

Postby jokerman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:48 pm

anyone else hear anything about the may program today?

jokerman

Postby jokerman » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:45 pm

musicalmissionary you must have been the only one to get a call yesterday... I would have thought at least a few others would have commented on this board or the other May one. Oh well, it is a wait and see process for me... I really would love to get the call.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”