Cardozo 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
blacklawboss

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:18 pm

ilovesf wrote:Just got back from the ASD - it was great! I've been to two so far (Tulane, Brooklyn), and this one was by far the best. I thought they presented the school really well, and I actually got excited about the prospect of going. I also really liked talking to the fellow admitted students, there were a lot of really nice people. One of the best things though was how nice and approachable the faculty was. Dean Diller himself just randomly came up to me and started chatting me up, and another professor gave a bunch of us his card and asked us to e-mail him if we had any questions. I thought I had decided on 100% going to another school, and now I'm not so sure.

Also to the CA people - we didn't officially meet up, but I have a feeling I met you, since I met about 10 other people from CA today.

+1 great school I'm so on the fence

Krodizzle

Postby Krodizzle » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:31 pm

is there an FB group for Cardozo?

JD=Doctor

Postby JD=Doctor » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:30 am

ilovesf wrote:Just got back from the ASD - it was great! I've been to two so far (Tulane, Brooklyn), and this one was by far the best. I thought they presented the school really well, and I actually got excited about the prospect of going. I also really liked talking to the fellow admitted students, there were a lot of really nice people. One of the best things though was how nice and approachable the faculty was. Dean Diller himself just randomly came up to me and started chatting me up, and another professor gave a bunch of us his card and asked us to e-mail him if we had any questions. I thought I had decided on 100% going to another school, and now I'm not so sure.

Also to the CA people - we didn't officially meet up, but I have a feeling I met you, since I met about 10 other people from CA today.

LA checking in...

ya it was really nice..... whose considering living in the alabama?

ebl1014

Postby ebl1014 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:10 am

I'm not from CA but went to the ASDs at BLS on Weds and Cardozo yesterday. I really liked them both, but I think the location for Cardozo seals the deal for me. The stipulations at Brooklyn also terrify me- I asked one of the current students in our "small group meetings" who was obviously a bright & involved student if she had any trouble with the top 40% stipulation and she said that she didn't make the cut and lost some money after the first year. I don't know if that's worth it to me. I didn't get to stay for the entire ASD at Cardozo on Thursday but from what I saw I really liked it. I don't think I'm considering the Alabama though- the rent is cheap for a spot on fifth avenue but I think you can get a better deal by getting your own place a fifteen or twenty minute walk away. Can anyone with more experience in NYC confirm or deny that? (Also, New Yorker, I've heard that the area very closely surround BLS to the east, just a few blocks away, is not nice nor safe. Confirm/deny?)

Also, this might be a very personal sentiment but did anyone else get the feeling that BLS really pushed more for PS than anything else (as well they should, given their location)? I felt like BLS was really solid in the clinics, programs, and experience that they offered but that if you wanted to do your own thing or use more creativity in deciding what you're going to do with your three years, Cardozo would be a better bet.

ebl1014

Postby ebl1014 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:14 am

Anyone know when the seat deposit is due?

zdayar

Postby zdayar » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:16 am

ebl1014 wrote:Anyone know when the seat deposit is due?

4/15 for Cardozo

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:19 am

ebl1014 wrote:I'm not from CA but went to the ASDs at BLS on Weds and Cardozo yesterday. I really liked them both, but I think the location for Cardozo seals the deal for me. The stipulations at Brooklyn also terrify me- I asked one of the current students in our "small group meetings" who was obviously a bright & involved student if she had any trouble with the top 40% stipulation and she said that she didn't make the cut and lost some money after the first year. I don't know if that's worth it to me. I didn't get to stay for the entire ASD at Cardozo on Thursday but from what I saw I really liked it. I don't think I'm considering the Alabama though- the rent is cheap for a spot on fifth avenue but I think you can get a better deal by getting your own place a fifteen or twenty minute walk away. Can anyone with more experience in NYC confirm or deny that? (Also, New Yorker, I've heard that the area very closely surround BLS to the east, just a few blocks away, is not nice nor safe. Confirm/deny?)

Also, this might be a very personal sentiment but did anyone else get the feeling that BLS really pushed more for PS than anything else (as well they should, given their location)? I felt like BLS was really solid in the clinics, programs, and experience that they offered but that if you wanted to do your own thing or use more creativity in deciding what you're going to do with your three years, Cardozo would be a better bet.

BLS is in one of the better areas in Brooklyn. All the areas around are decent. Brooklyn is a weird area its often block to block, but no one bothers you unless you dangle money or iphones in front of someones face. nyc is prob the safest big city in the US

cj2k14

Postby cj2k14 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:30 am

I had a good time at the ASD as well but a few things kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Every current 2L/3L I spoke with didn't have a job or said they had an internship with "a few students from NYU/Columbia/Fordham." I was worried that the majority of the internships were still being dished out to the higher NYC schools and the Cardozo kids pick up the scraps. Also, on my tour of the school my 3L guide said he didn't have a job and that if he had to guess maybe 30-40% of kids did at graduation. I was excited to hear the success of the students on the panel at the end of the day but as soon as the one girl said she was executive board for law review I knew instantly she was top 10% of the class (since you have to be in top 10% to be considered to do law review). That fact goes along with everything TLS offers on Cardozo.. roughly that you need to be top 10% to have a shot at a big job in NYC as she had. It seemed that Cardozo does well if you are interested in public interest but since I have 0 interest in public interest I worry about my job outlook after graduation. Overall, the school was nice and I believe they do a great job to prepare you for the future but I think theres only so much they can do to be noticed in the darkness of the shadows cast by NYU and Columbia. Plus the stress of having the stipulation on the full ride is just another thing to worry about 1L year.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:32 am

JD=Doctor wrote:

LA checking in...

ya it was really nice..... whose considering living in the alabama?

No, it looked exactly like my freshman year dormroom.. I think I would go crazy if I had to live in that kind of setting again.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:38 am

cj2k14 wrote:I had a good time at the ASD as well but a few things kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Every current 2L/3L I spoke with didn't have a job or said they had an internship with "a few students from NYU/Columbia/Fordham." I was worried that the majority of the internships were still being dished out to the higher NYC schools and the Cardozo kids pick up the scraps. Also, on my tour of the school my 3L guide said he didn't have a job and that if he had to guess maybe 30-40% of kids did at graduation. I was excited to hear the success of the students on the panel at the end of the day but as soon as the one girl said she was executive board for law review I knew instantly she was top 10% of the class (since you have to be in top 10% to be considered to do law review). That fact goes along with everything TLS offers on Cardozo.. roughly that you need to be top 10% to have a shot at a big job in NYC as she had. It seemed that Cardozo does well if you are interested in public interest but since I have 0 interest in public interest I worry about my job outlook after graduation. Overall, the school was nice and I believe they do a great job to prepare you for the future but I think theres only so much they can do to be noticed in the darkness of the shadows cast by NYU and Columbia. Plus the stress of having the stipulation on the full ride is just another thing to worry about 1L year.

I guess that just goes to show that who you talk to can really make a difference! The students I talked to all had things lined up for this summer (most were 2Ls), and the 3L I did talk to had a job lined up after graduation. Also, for law review, I thought it was top 10% grade on, but anyone can write on; so if you are on law review, there is a high chance you are top 10% but it is not a definite thing. That girl did really impress me though, I wouldn't be surprised if she were top 10%. I definitely think Cardozo does place after the other better NYC schools, but that wasn't really something I was expecting them to counter.. It's a good school, but it isn't one of the best. What's your stip for the rull ride? For my scholly (not a full ride) it is only top 80%.. that is the most generous stip I've received so far.

cj2k14

Postby cj2k14 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:53 am

ilovesf wrote:
cj2k14 wrote:I had a good time at the ASD as well but a few things kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Every current 2L/3L I spoke with didn't have a job or said they had an internship with "a few students from NYU/Columbia/Fordham." I was worried that the majority of the internships were still being dished out to the higher NYC schools and the Cardozo kids pick up the scraps. Also, on my tour of the school my 3L guide said he didn't have a job and that if he had to guess maybe 30-40% of kids did at graduation. I was excited to hear the success of the students on the panel at the end of the day but as soon as the one girl said she was executive board for law review I knew instantly she was top 10% of the class (since you have to be in top 10% to be considered to do law review). That fact goes along with everything TLS offers on Cardozo.. roughly that you need to be top 10% to have a shot at a big job in NYC as she had. It seemed that Cardozo does well if you are interested in public interest but since I have 0 interest in public interest I worry about my job outlook after graduation. Overall, the school was nice and I believe they do a great job to prepare you for the future but I think theres only so much they can do to be noticed in the darkness of the shadows cast by NYU and Columbia. Plus the stress of having the stipulation on the full ride is just another thing to worry about 1L year.

I guess that just goes to show that who you talk to can really make a difference! The students I talked to all had things lined up for this summer (most were 2Ls), and the 3L I did talk to had a job lined up after graduation. Also, for law review, I thought it was top 10% grade on, but anyone can write on; so if you are on law review, there is a high chance you are top 10% but it is not a definite thing. That girl did really impress me though, I wouldn't be surprised if she were top 10%. I definitely think Cardozo does place after the other better NYC schools, but that wasn't really something I was expecting them to counter.. It's a good school, but it isn't one of the best. What's your stip for the rull ride? For my scholly (not a full ride) it is only top 80%.. that is the most generous stip I've received so far.

The stip is the same as yours (top 80; 2.95). As you said I guess it goes to show who you talk to. In our small groups my 3L had a 2.8 GPA she said and another in the group had some friends that lost their money after 1L. I definitely think the school does its best to assist students and provides them with a good legal education. I am still considering Cardozo but they didn't really do anything to pull me in more, nor push me away either to be fair. I loved the area and luckily went out for lunch at a pita shop down 12th st. as I heard the food was cold

ryokoyuy

Postby ryokoyuy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:57 am

I'm really happy to hear that the ASD was good :)
I really really really wanted to go, but my boss wouldn't let me out of work, so I
was hoping that people that went would share their experience.
I'm even more convinced than I was before that I want to go. I think I may try to
live in the Alabama, even if it's kind of like a dorm. I live only an hour or so outside the city,
so I just want a place to sleep when it's late/there are early classes. Did anyone that saw the Alabama
see any issue with it except for dorm-like feel?
And to help figure the scholly thing out - I have a non-full ride scholly, with a stipulation
that I have to maintain over a 2.9GPA (which is top 80%, I think?). Hope that helps sort things out!

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:26 pm

ebl1014 wrote:I'm not from CA but went to the ASDs at BLS on Weds and Cardozo yesterday. I really liked them both, but I think the location for Cardozo seals the deal for me. The stipulations at Brooklyn also terrify me- I asked one of the current students in our "small group meetings" who was obviously a bright & involved student if she had any trouble with the top 40% stipulation and she said that she didn't make the cut and lost some money after the first year. I don't know if that's worth it to me. I didn't get to stay for the entire ASD at Cardozo on Thursday but from what I saw I really liked it. I don't think I'm considering the Alabama though- the rent is cheap for a spot on fifth avenue but I think you can get a better deal by getting your own place a fifteen or twenty minute walk away. Can anyone with more experience in NYC confirm or deny that? (Also, New Yorker, I've heard that the area very closely surround BLS to the east, just a few blocks away, is not nice nor safe. Confirm/deny?)

BLS is in a great part of town - it's downtown Brooklyn. It's where all the courts (city/federal) are located and most of the Brooklyn administrative buildings are housed. If you go way east (and south) you'll hit Bed-Stuy, which isn't the greatest but it's not really close at all. (You have to go through like 2 or 3 neighborhoods first.) But like blacklawboss said, NYC (including the boroughs) is one of the safest urban places in the US.

As for the Alabama, you're probably not going to get that much better a 'deal' on the island with regards to the location. But it's also shitty dorm-style living. I think that you're right if you look further away, and find roommates, you can definitely find something cheaper. You're best bet $$-wise though would be to look in Brooklyn.

EDIT: "Great" as in diverse and mostly safe. Obviously downtown Brooklyn doesn't compare to the village, but the area around BLS is most definitely not dangerous.
Last edited by aidez-moi on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manhattandoll8

Postby manhattandoll8 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:40 pm

Just FYI for Non-New Yorker's, I spoke to a student at Brooklyn who is living in one of the BLS owed apartments (not at dorm) and she told me how much she was paying for her room in a 3 bedroom apt. I guess she thought this was a "deal" but she is paying $300 more a month than I am paying for my room in a 2 bedroom on the upper east side of manhattan (East 70's). My point being, you can find better deals on your own. If I was going to Cardozo, I would probably live in Jersey City or Hoboken to save money on rent because the PATH train goes straight to union square.

asparagus18

Postby asparagus18 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:24 pm

Regarding NYC housing: if you are Jewish check out http://www.bangitout.com. Although most of the apartment ads are seeking someone SS/SK (shomer Shabbas/strictly kosher), not all of them are.
My son lives on the Upper West Side with 3 roommates and pays less than $1000/month.

kruiz88

Postby kruiz88 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:04 pm

asparagus18 wrote:Regarding NYC housing: if you are Jewish check out http://www.bangitout.com. Although most of the apartment ads are seeking someone SS/SK (shomer Shabbas/strictly kosher), not all of them are.
My son lives on the Upper West Side with 3 roommates and pays less than $1000/month.

Given the lesson from admitted students day, this post is spectacular. While I was impressed with the students, the other admits, and the faculty, I was a little turned off with the shots numerously taken at Fordham, kinda gave a vibe of insecurity. And I don't remember seeing a classroom on the tour, which I only remembered as I was leaving. Overall though, the ASD was nice.

cj2k14

Postby cj2k14 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:48 am

kruiz88 wrote:While I was impressed with the students, the other admits, and the faculty, I was a little turned off with the shots numerously taken at Fordham, kinda gave a vibe of insecurity. And I don't remember seeing a classroom on the tour, which I only remembered as I was leaving. Overall though, the ASD was nice.

I kinda had the same vibe with the numerous shots at "that other school that starts with F." Well... what about the other schools that start with C or N that beat out the kids that go to F. That aside, I also noticed we didn't see a classroom but I guess thats the nature of the large ASD. My Ohio State ASD had maybe 20-25 students so it was a lot more personalized and they conducted the mock class in a classroom which was nice. Even still they could have popped us in and out of a classroom in the small groups that ran around before noon

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:50 am

On my tour we walked by tons of classrooms, both seminar rooms and large lecture rooms where you will be your 1L... they looked nice.

binghamtonalum

Postby binghamtonalum » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:31 am

don't have the letter with me, but does anyone know if there's another ASD or Open House before the deposit deadline?

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:12 am

ilovesf wrote:On my tour we walked by tons of classrooms, both seminar rooms and large lecture rooms where you will be your 1L... they looked nice.

+1

I know there were a lot of activities, so some tours might have been rushed and didn't show the classrooms.
I thought the day went really well, and even though I was already sure I was going, I know a lot of people were really wowed by the school :)

afc1910

Postby afc1910 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:09 am

Last edited by afc1910 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:22 pm

afc1910 wrote:
cj2k14 wrote:
kruiz88 wrote:While I was impressed with the students, the other admits, and the faculty, I was a little turned off with the shots numerously taken at Fordham, kinda gave a vibe of insecurity. And I don't remember seeing a classroom on the tour, which I only remembered as I was leaving. Overall though, the ASD was nice.

I kinda had the same vibe with the numerous shots at "that other school that starts with F." Well... what about the other schools that start with C or N that beat out the kids that go to F. That aside, I also noticed we didn't see a classroom but I guess thats the nature of the large ASD. My Ohio State ASD had maybe 20-25 students so it was a lot more personalized and they conducted the mock class in a classroom which was nice. Even still they could have popped us in and out of a classroom in the small groups that ran around before noon

I don't think Cardozo tries to compete with Columbia and NYU. They are clearly out of their league. They are, however, trying to compare themselves to Fordham, which is a bit far fetched given Fordham's long-standing reputation, but if I had to chose F at sticker of D with money, I would definitely go to Cardozo.

Also, I got the impression from the ASD that since Cardozo is a new-ish school with a large endowment from Yeshiva University, they are putting in A LOT of money and effort into their clinical programs, faculty, facilities, etc. I like that. I wouldn't want to be at a school that is comfortable in its position, and doesn't strive for the best.

I agree. I like that the school clearly has money and is using it to give its students the best connections it can, and isn't afraid to be innovative, as well.

adevotchka

Postby adevotchka » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:24 pm

Just curious, as someone who got into Dozo with money but will probably be choosing Fordham, what were these aforementioned "shots?"

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:53 pm

There wasn't really much.

One of the professors at one point was saying Cardozo really excels at something, "unlike a school you may be considering that we won't name but starts with an F..." to laughter. Then when they introduced the Dean, they mentioned that he previously worked at "that school that starts with an F," (referencing the earlier joke). That's all I picked up on. If anything else was said about Fordham, it was among prospective students as far as I know.

adevotchka

Postby adevotchka » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:59 pm

Woods, Elle wrote:There wasn't really much.

One of the professors at one point was saying Cardozo really excels at something, "unlike a school you may be considering that we won't name but starts with an F..." to laughter. Then when they introduced the Dean, they mentioned that he previously worked at "that school that starts with an F," (referencing the earlier joke). That's all I picked up on. If anything else was said about Fordham, it was among prospective students as far as I know.

What were the prospectives saying (if you don't mind me asking). I know there are always a ton of cross admits between the two schools. I have a few friends who picked Dozo over Fordham and recently graduated, but I'm curious what everyone else is weighing in on.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”