Cardozo 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
maglialoro

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby maglialoro » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:38 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tartugas

Postby tartugas » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:55 pm

nphominoid wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:As a local I have to say to the people looking for fee apartments and Realtors---do not do this. If you want to save money, live along the L/2/3/NQR/456 in Brooklyn/Queens or in Jersey City/Hoboken/Ironbound Newark---24 hour transit that should be no more than a 20-40 min train ride and SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper rent. LOTS of places in Bushwick, Park Slope (the less posh side), Astoria, and all these places that you can hit craigslist and go month to month until you get a feel for the city and some people you'd live with etc

definitely stuff out there on craigslist. takes time and persistence of course. i'd also add that the G and M lines are worth looking at too, some cheaper apartments out there and not a bad commute from cardozo area. i live by greenpoint G (30-45 min commute) and you can find shares in the $700-$1000 range, 1BRs in the $1100-1500 range. graham ave L has similar prices, maybe a little more expensive. similar prices in south williamsburg (by broadway G + hewes M) but somewhat grimier area. fort greene is pricier but also worth a look.

The G line is the bastard stepchild of the NYC subway system. Planning on living on the G line is a sure fire way to increase one's stress levels drastically.

FWIW, I would also suggest looking at Inwood/Washington Heights. The commute to Union Sq. is approximately 30 minutes, the parks up here are simply the best in the city (IMhO), and the COL is quite reasonable.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:07 pm

tartugas wrote:
nphominoid wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:As a local I have to say to the people looking for fee apartments and Realtors---do not do this. If you want to save money, live along the L/2/3/NQR/456 in Brooklyn/Queens or in Jersey City/Hoboken/Ironbound Newark---24 hour transit that should be no more than a 20-40 min train ride and SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper rent. LOTS of places in Bushwick, Park Slope (the less posh side), Astoria, and all these places that you can hit craigslist and go month to month until you get a feel for the city and some people you'd live with etc

definitely stuff out there on craigslist. takes time and persistence of course. i'd also add that the G and M lines are worth looking at too, some cheaper apartments out there and not a bad commute from cardozo area. i live by greenpoint G (30-45 min commute) and you can find shares in the $700-$1000 range, 1BRs in the $1100-1500 range. graham ave L has similar prices, maybe a little more expensive. similar prices in south williamsburg (by broadway G + hewes M) but somewhat grimier area. fort greene is pricier but also worth a look.

The G line is the bastard stepchild of the NYC subway system. Planning on living on the G line is a sure fire way to increase one's stress levels drastically.

FWIW, I would also suggest looking at Inwood/Washington Heights. The commute to Union Sq. is approximately 30 minutes, the parks up here are simply the best in the city (IMhO), and the COL is quite reasonable.

I second this - the G train is the only train that does not go into Manhattan. I'm moving to Washington Heights in a few days, actually, and it is kind of far north but it's a very reasonable commute along the A train line.

DreamLaw

Postby DreamLaw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:08 am

Wait listed today..
When should a LOCI be sent? Should I wait for this semester's grades?

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:21 am

How was ASD?

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:55 am

I dont think I received any explicit bad news about jobs. But everyone I spoke to made it clear that you generally had to be in top 5-10% to receive big law. Most were quite happy though with their public interest jobs and futures and didnt see it as a big deal. Again, depending on what you want to do, I dont know if this is good or bad, but it seems there are plenty of PI jobs coming out of Cardozo

Edit: plus, they seem very proud of their clinical programs and dispute resolution
[/quote]

Can you get biglaw coming from public interest?

Also, did anyone say whether it's worth attending sticker?

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:35 am

lawfreak wrote:Can you get biglaw coming from public interest?

I didn't go, but here is what I got:

1. I don't think so - they're two very different fields.

2. That's something that you're going to have to decide yourself. Everyone here will say no, but you have to weigh your personal financial situation with COL, desire to work in the city, etc. to determine what you think.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:39 am

aidez-moi wrote:
lawfreak wrote:Can you get biglaw coming from public interest?

I didn't go, but here is what I got:

1. I don't think so - they're two very different fields.

2. That's something that you're going to have to decide yourself. Everyone here will say no, but you have to weigh your personal financial situation with COL, desire to work in the city, etc. to determine what you think.

Not worth sticker extremely regional school. If you want big law top 10% if you got into better school, but going for $ get stipulations taken away or reduced. still a young school so as a new student you are still part of the schools foundation. great clinics and support system.

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:09 pm

lawfreak wrote:
I dont think I received any explicit bad news about jobs. But everyone I spoke to made it clear that you generally had to be in top 5-10% to receive big law. Most were quite happy though with their public interest jobs and futures and didnt see it as a big deal. Again, depending on what you want to do, I dont know if this is good or bad, but it seems there are plenty of PI jobs coming out of Cardozo

Edit: plus, they seem very proud of their clinical programs and dispute resolution

Can you get biglaw coming from public interest?

Also, did anyone say whether it's worth attending sticker?[/quote]

I went and had a really good experience. Basically the same as everyone else, enjoyed hearing from the professors and the Q&A w/the students. One guy did go w/o any money and had no regrets, said he just took out loans and was happy he was there. The others mentioned scholarships. Basically heard really good things, and all the prospective students seemed nice. I'm excited to go!

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:24 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:43 pm

In terms of biglaw, is there a big difference between Cardozo or Brooklyn/Rutgers-Newark?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:52 pm

Withdrew today. Hope that benefits some of you guys with money and space!

afc1910

Postby afc1910 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Edit: proved wrong.
Last edited by afc1910 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:14 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:31 pm

maglialoro wrote:
afc1910 wrote:
lawfreak wrote:In terms of biglaw, is there a big difference between Cardozo or Brooklyn/Rutgers-Newark?

Brooklyn and Cardozo are pretty much equal in terms of placement in new york, which is not great, because they have to compete with Columbia, NYU, Fordham and every other national school. But they are both strong regional schools.

Attending at sticker is probably not worth it, unless 1) your rich uncle is paying; 2) you're certain you will make top 5-10% and can secure a good job upon graduation; 3) your family or you personally have connections and can secure a good job upon graduation; 4) you don't mind being 200K in debt upon graduation, and struggling to pay out your loans; or 5) you meet someone who has a rich uncle in law school.

But then again, what do I know. I'm struggling to decide between several regional schools myself. Shelling out 46k a year in this market seems unreasonable (and I'd rather go to a lower-ranked school than take our 200k in loans). Also considering that when my bf was applying four years ago tuition was around 37k. What will 3L cost us?

what i dont understand is that according to NLJ, 20% of students from cardozo do place at top NLJ250. Here's the link:

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

whats the discrepency?

Very intriguing question I'd love to know the answer.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:33 pm

what i dont understand is that according to NLJ, 20% of students from cardozo do place at top NLJ250. Here's the link:

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

whats the discrepency?

I would like to think that that's accurate, but I'm pretty sure those numbers are prior to the recession.

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:40 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben11

Postby Ben11 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Hi, I'm new to this board. Just got voicemail - in w $20k a year. I also got accepted to St. John's with full scholarship - top 40% requirement. Anybody with a similar situation have any luck negotiating for a larger scholarship?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:46 pm

Ben11 wrote:Hi, I'm new to this board. Just got voicemail - in w $20k a year. I also got accepted to St. John's with full scholarship - top 40% requirement. Anybody with a similar situation have any luck negotiating for a larger scholarship?

I am in the exact same situation. I haven't tried to negotiate yet because I'm still waiting to hear back from my top 2 choices. If I don't get into those, then I will try to negotiate for more money, or no stips at Cardozo. I know already I'd like to go there over St Johns.

Ben11

Postby Ben11 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:57 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Ben11 wrote:Hi, I'm new to this board. Just got voicemail - in w $20k a year. I also got accepted to St. John's with full scholarship - top 40% requirement. Anybody with a similar situation have any luck negotiating for a larger scholarship?

I am in the exact same situation. I haven't tried to negotiate yet because I'm still waiting to hear back from my top 2 choices. If I don't get into those, then I will try to negotiate for more money, or no stips at Cardozo. I know already I'd like to go there over St Johns.

I didn't even apply to NYU Columbia etc. not interested in big-law or 200k debt. Oddly, I was waitlisted at Brooklyn Law for some reason, so now it's between St. Johns and Cardozo. I would also prefer Cardozo, but not by a $60k+ difference.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:04 pm

Ben11 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

I didn't even apply to NYU Columbia etc. not interested in big-law or 200k debt. Oddly, I was waitlisted at Brooklyn Law for some reason, so now it's between St. Johns and Cardozo. I would also prefer Cardozo, but not by a $60k+ difference.

WL at Brooklyn? That's weird - what are your stats if you don't mind me asking? I'm not interested in biglaw either, I want to do Govt or nonprofit work. Some of the things to consider are that for the St Johns full ride you need to be top 40%, which is harder than it sounds I'm sure, and for Cardozo it is top 80%. For me, I have a free place to live in Manhattan, so that actually minimizes the costs for me. I wouldn't live in Manhattan and commute to St Johns, that would be an incredible waste of my time since you have to change from subway to bus and whatnot. When you know all of the schools youve been accepted to, just write Cardozo and tell them what you said here: you would love to go to their school, but you cannot afford it unless they offer you a larger scholarship. Then mention that St Johns is a more viable option for you since you have a full ride, yet you still prefer Cardozo because of XYZ. Good luck!

Ben11

Postby Ben11 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:11 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Ben11 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

WL at Brooklyn? That's weird - what are your stats if you don't mind me asking? I'm not interested in biglaw either, I want to do Govt or nonprofit work. Some of the things to consider are that for the St Johns full ride you need to be top 40%, which is harder than it sounds I'm sure, and for Cardozo it is top 80%. For me, I have a free place to live in Manhattan, so that actually minimizes the costs for me. I wouldn't live in Manhattan and commute to St Johns, that would be an incredible waste of my time since you have to change from subway to bus and whatnot. When you know all of the schools youve been accepted to, just write Cardozo and tell them what you said here: you would love to go to their school, but you cannot afford it unless they offer you a larger scholarship. Then mention that St Johns is a more viable option for you since you have a full ride, yet you still prefer Cardozo because of XYZ. Good luck!

165/3.98. I work with an alumnus of St. Johns he told me he was in top 30% without much effort, so the stipulations don't really worry me.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:16 pm

Ben11 wrote:
165/3.98. I work with an alumnus of St. Johns he told me he was in top 30% without much effort, so the stipulations don't really worry me.

Wow, tbh, I would have applied to much better schools with that GPA. Did you apply to Fordham? Also, I think that Cardozo should definitely offer you more money. We have the same LSAT, but I only have a 3.35.

Ben11

Postby Ben11 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:22 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Ben11 wrote:

Wow, tbh, I would have applied to much better schools with that GPA. Did you apply to Fordham? Also, I think that Cardozo should definitely offer you more money. We have the same LSAT, but I only have a 3.35.
Last edited by Ben11 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:37 pm

Ben11 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Ben11 wrote:

I did not apply to Fordham. My uncle is CLO and VP of a major corporation, so I pretty much have a job lined up, thus my main priority is scholarship money at the best possible school. With my numbers I would not expect a substantial scholarship at Fordham.

Sorry don't make such sense. Sounds a little trolly. Your uncle would want you to go to the best law school possible bottom line, and not to even apply to Fordham with those #'s is foolish

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”