Cardozo 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
evilgenius

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby evilgenius » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Justathought wrote:Can you talk about possible reasons to choose Cardozo over Brooklyn? For the sake of this discussion let's assume the money is equal. I like Cardozo a lot, and its location is certainly awesome, but Brooklyn's long established history and corresponding alumni base are attractive to me.

Also, Brooklyn seems to have one of the best housing situations in the nation; I like the idea of living close (walking distance) to campus for practical reasons, do students who choose to live close by struggle with the cost given that Cardozo seems to have limited subsidized housing options?

To be honest, the difference between Brooklyn and Cardozo is minimal. The tuition is the same at both schools. Cardozo has a "dorm" (its more like an apt building) - the Alabama. There is more than enough space in the building for every student that wants to live there. I don't know if anyone that lives there is subsidized. But rent is extremely cheap for Manhattan. The building is two blocks from the school. (I believe Brooklyn's dorms are 5 blocks from the school). And Cardozo aside, the dorm is in an amazing neighborhood.

Cardozo's alumni base is smaller, but very, very committed. There's at least one alumni networking event every week. I can't attest to how active Brooklyn's alumni base is.

The main difference I've seen is that Brooklyn is well established in the public sector. Alumni work in all levels of gov't, in almost every court, and for numerous non-profits. Cardozo has a solid public sector alumni base, but probably not as strong.

Cardozo's strength by far is its intellectual property and corporate/commercial/business law programs. Also, Cardozo seems to be a spring board for young, smart law professors. (its difficult to explain the importance of a good law professor to 0Ls, but just know that it makes a HUGE difference) Many professors teach at the school for a few years before launching careers at Harvard, Yale or other top schools. That being said, I'm sure Brooklyn has amazing professors as well - I just can't speak to them.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:32 pm

evilgenius wrote:
Justathought wrote:Can you talk about possible reasons to choose Cardozo over Brooklyn? For the sake of this discussion let's assume the money is equal. I like Cardozo a lot, and its location is certainly awesome, but Brooklyn's long established history and corresponding alumni base are attractive to me.

Also, Brooklyn seems to have one of the best housing situations in the nation; I like the idea of living close (walking distance) to campus for practical reasons, do students who choose to live close by struggle with the cost given that Cardozo seems to have limited subsidized housing options?

To be honest, the difference between Brooklyn and Cardozo is minimal. The tuition is the same at both schools. Cardozo has a "dorm" (its more like an apt building) - the Alabama. There is more than enough space in the building for every student that wants to live there. I don't know if anyone that lives there is subsidized. But rent is extremely cheap for Manhattan. The building is two blocks from the school. (I believe Brooklyn's dorms are 5 blocks from the school). And Cardozo aside, the dorm is in an amazing neighborhood.

Cardozo's alumni base is smaller, but very, very committed. There's at least one alumni networking event every week. I can't attest to how active Brooklyn's alumni base is.

The main difference I've seen is that Brooklyn is well established in the public sector. Alumni work in all levels of gov't, in almost every court, and for numerous non-profits. Cardozo has a solid public sector alumni base, but probably not as strong.

Cardozo's strength by far is its intellectual property and corporate/commercial/business law programs. Also, Cardozo seems to be a spring board for young, smart law professors. (its difficult to explain the importance of a good law professor to 0Ls, but just know that it makes a HUGE difference) Many professors teach at the school for a few years before launching careers at Harvard, Yale or other top schools. That being said, I'm sure Brooklyn has amazing professors as well - I just can't speak to them.

Thanks very much for taking questions. :D

AshtonB

Postby AshtonB » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:47 am

*Shameless bump*

Any possibility of scholarship $ with a 3.05/163?

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:55 am

AshtonB wrote:*Shameless bump*

Any possibility of scholarship $ with a 3.05/163?

I was held with 3.2 166

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:13 am

I don't want to get this too off-topic, but does anyone know any legit realtors/brokers in the city? (I know it's pretty much a huge not worth it scam and their commission is ridiculous, but between that and the trash on craigslist I thought it might be preferable - thoughts?) Any reply or PM would be awesome.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:16 am

aidez-moi wrote:I don't want to get this too off-topic, but does anyone know any legit realtors/brokers in the city? (I know it's pretty much a huge not worth it scam and their commission is ridiculous, but between that and the trash on craigslist I thought it might be preferable - thoughts?) Any reply or PM would be awesome.

what area are you looking to live in and you do understand that you would need to provide a guarantor to rent an apartment since you will be a student with no income?

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:34 am

If someone is accepted to the May part-time program? Can they switch to the full-time program instead(i mean in the fall instead of starting in the may)?

In regards to Brooklyn vs. Cardozo...if I had to choose one at sticker, which one would you recommend based on job prospects especially biglaw jobs?

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:07 pm

rs2004 wrote:
aidez-moi wrote:I don't want to get this too off-topic, but does anyone know any legit realtors/brokers in the city? (I know it's pretty much a huge not worth it scam and their commission is ridiculous, but between that and the trash on craigslist I thought it might be preferable - thoughts?) Any reply or PM would be awesome.

what area are you looking to live in and you do understand that you would need to provide a guarantor to rent an apartment since you will be a student with no income?

Yep. And the guarantor has to make 80x the monthly rent for most landlords in the city. And I'm going to need income tax returns to prove it. (I've worked in the city before so I know the run around you have to go through with regards to finding a place, I've just never had to live there before until now.)

With regards to area, I'm not too picky. I'd probably prefer the lower island, but I have a feeling that Brooklyn is going to provide the best bang for the buck.

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:09 pm

lawfreak wrote:If someone is accepted to the May part-time program? Can they switch to the full-time program instead(i mean in the fall instead of starting in the may)?

In regards to Brooklyn vs. Cardozo...if I had to choose one at sticker, which one would you recommend based on job prospects especially biglaw jobs?

I'd think that biglaw is going to be rough coming out of both. Paying sticker for either is a pretty big gamble, but if you're up for it the location/feel of the school is probably more important (assuming debt is going to be the same.)

kev41589

Postby kev41589 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:18 pm

I was waitlisted with a 160/3.2 and pretty strong softs and statement.. what are my chances of being admitted from the waitlist? And for the may program? I have a tour and interview this Friday so I'm hoping it will help give me a push. Does anyone know if I would be eligible for scholarship money? If not in may, then in subsequent semesters?

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:29 pm

I'm still sitting at Complete/IR 1/7. GPA slightly below median. LSAT quite a bit above 75th. Come on!!

steve_o711

Postby steve_o711 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:42 pm

Waitlisted today with a 165/3.2. Anyone had any luck getting off of the waitlist thus far? If so could you post or pm your numbers?

smoneill89

Postby smoneill89 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:20 pm

steve_o711 wrote:Waitlisted today with a 165/3.2. Anyone had any luck getting off of the waitlist thus far? If so could you post or pm your numbers?

Wattlisted today also with 160/3.3. Wondering the same thing.

Lord_Roy

Postby Lord_Roy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:22 pm

smoneill89 wrote:
steve_o711 wrote:Waitlisted today with a 165/3.2. Anyone had any luck getting off of the waitlist thus far? If so could you post or pm your numbers?

When did you guys submit you apps pls? I have been complete and UR since 1/14 and am really losing patience with cardozo....

smoneill89

Postby smoneill89 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Lord_Roy wrote:
smoneill89 wrote:

When did you guys submit you apps pls? I have been complete and UR since 1/14 and am really losing patience with cardozo....

I went complete 1/13 and UR around that time, don't remember the exact date I went UR.

kev41589

Postby kev41589 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:31 pm

my application (waitlisted, 160, 3.2) was complete on 12/29 and the decision was sent on 2/1.

steve_o711

Postby steve_o711 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:20 pm

Lord_Roy wrote:
smoneill89 wrote:

Sent: 1/9
Complete and UR :1/10
Decision: 2/15

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:28 pm

As a local I have to say to the people looking for fee apartments and Realtors---do not do this. If you want to save money, live along the L/2/3/NQR/456 in Brooklyn/Queens or in Jersey City/Hoboken/Ironbound Newark---24 hour transit that should be no more than a 20-40 min train ride and SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper rent. LOTS of places in Bushwick, Park Slope (the less posh side), Astoria, and all these places that you can hit craigslist and go month to month until you get a feel for the city and some people you'd live with etc

ballpop

Postby ballpop » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Applied before the New Year

Complete 1/8

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:20 pm

kev41589 wrote:I was waitlisted with a 160/3.2 and pretty strong softs and statement.. what are my chances of being admitted from the waitlist? And for the may program? I have a tour and interview this Friday so I'm hoping it will help give me a push. Does anyone know if I would be eligible for scholarship money? If not in may, then in subsequent semesters?

There is no scholarship money for the May program. I asked them about it.

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:26 pm

lawfreak wrote:
kev41589 wrote:I was waitlisted with a 160/3.2 and pretty strong softs and statement.. what are my chances of being admitted from the waitlist? And for the may program? I have a tour and interview this Friday so I'm hoping it will help give me a push. Does anyone know if I would be eligible for scholarship money? If not in may, then in subsequent semesters?

There is no scholarship money for the May program. I asked them about it.

You guys are making me less confident about negotiating for a better scholarship. I should just be more grateful for what I have. Good luck to you two.

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:42 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:As a local I have to say to the people looking for fee apartments and Realtors---do not do this. If you want to save money, live along the L/2/3/NQR/456 in Brooklyn/Queens or in Jersey City/Hoboken/Ironbound Newark---24 hour transit that should be no more than a 20-40 min train ride and SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper rent. LOTS of places in Bushwick, Park Slope (the less posh side), Astoria, and all these places that you can hit craigslist and go month to month until you get a feel for the city and some people you'd live with etc

I hear you, and that was my plan. Craigslist however has turned into complete garbage.

evilgenius

Postby evilgenius » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:22 pm

lawfreak wrote:If someone is accepted to the May part-time program? Can they switch to the full-time program instead(i mean in the fall instead of starting in the may)?

I think you can tell admissions that you'd like to be considered for the fall but there's no guarantee that you'll be admitted. There's a different admissions cycle and a slightly different standard for the May program.

I wouldn't attend either at sticker. But if I was absolutely certain that I wanted big law I'd attend Brooklyn. They have a larger alumni base working in biglaw.

But I dont think anyone should attend Cardozo or Brooklyn thinking that biglaw is guaranteed. The odds are against you.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:29 pm

evilgenius wrote:

I think you can tell admissions that you'd like to be considered for the fall but there's no guarantee that you'll be admitted. There's a different admissions cycle and a slightly different standard for the May program.

I wouldn't attend either at sticker. But if I was absolutely certain that I wanted big law I'd attend Brooklyn. They have a larger alumni base working in biglaw.

But I dont think anyone should attend Cardozo or Brooklyn thinking that biglaw is guaranteed. The odds are against you.

But isn't rank more important then alumni base, especially in regards to Brooklyn and Cardozo, where Cardozo is ranked 52 and Brooklyn 67 (only 5 away from SJU which is pretty bad).

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:38 pm

lawfreak wrote:But isn't rank more important then alumni base, especially in regards to Brooklyn and Cardozo, where Cardozo is ranked 52 and Brooklyn 67 (only 5 away from SJU which is pretty bad).

No, rank is meaningless. A partner that is a Brooklyn alum isn't going to shun all BLS lawyers because well damn Cardozo is 10 spots ahead.

Outside the top 20(ish) all schools are regional. And rankings do not matter between ~20-100.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”