Cardozo 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aidez-moi

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby aidez-moi » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:21 pm

tartugas wrote:It sounds like both of you are already familiar with the city, but for those who don't know it as well it's important to understand that the locations of the 2 schools (Cardozo and SJU) are radically different. I'm already an NYC resident, so I can tell you that Cardozo is much easier to get to logistically than SJU (think city center vs. outlying suburban campus). There is no direct train service to get to St. John's either so unless you are within walking distance of campus, a car is almost a necessity (unless you like studying on the bus). QOL is such a subjective issue, it's difficult to say that one location is better than the other across the board, but if you prefer being on the outskirts of the city, then SJU is likely going to be a better envioronment.

Also, anyone who has the opportunity to live rent-free in NYC is waaaay ahead of the game COL-wise. Personally I'm leaning towards Cardozo for a few reasons, but I do have to say that I was more impressed by the students I met at SJU on a recent visit and their thoughts about the school than I thought I would be. I know a lot of people around here will tend to automatically discount schools based on rankings, but there are some interesting opportunities and resources available at SJU that merit attention.

This. St. John's is in Jamaica Queens which is not near any type of subway/rail service. If you were to attend SJU you'd have to either own a car and drive in or take a bus. Although the COL might be reduced somewhat, tartugas is exactly right - it is in a completely different area than that of Cardozo

ddawg819

Postby ddawg819 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:40 pm

I'm seeing that most people on this thread are told they have been accepted via a phone call. Is it a bad sign if my status checker says decision rendered and it is being sent to me in the mail?

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:34 pm

ddawg819 wrote:I'm seeing that most people on this thread are told they have been accepted via a phone call. Is it a bad sign if my status checker says decision rendered and it is being sent to me in the mail?

I don't want to be doom and gloom, but maybe. I was put on hold and it said the same thing.

Hank Chill

Postby Hank Chill » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:02 pm

Got my admission packet in the mail today. Will be withdrawing tomorrow.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:13 pm

Hank Chill wrote:Got my admission packet in the mail today. Will be withdrawing tomorrow.

Like I stated once before - It is quite useless to tell people that you were accepted without giving us the dates sent in and were officially accepted. Additionally, it would be helpful if you posted your stats.

By the way, is it possible to receive an admissions decision on a Sunday? I want to know if I have to obsess over my status checker even on Sunday's?

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:16 pm

lawfreak wrote:
Hank Chill wrote:Got my admission packet in the mail today. Will be withdrawing tomorrow.

Like I stated once before - It is quite useless to tell people that you were accepted without giving us the dates sent in and were officially accepted. Additionally, it would be helpful if you posted your stats.

By the way, is it possible to receive an admissions decision on a Sunday? I want to know if I have to obsess over my status checker even on Sunday's?

The status checker doesn't update to accepted/rejected - it only changes to 'decision rendered and sent'

But to answer your question, no I wouldn't think it updates on Sundays.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:19 pm

aidez-moi wrote:
lawfreak wrote:

The status checker doesn't update to accepted/rejected - it only changes to 'decision rendered and sent'

But to answer your question, no I wouldn't think it updates on Sundays.

Thanks

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:21 pm

Submitted 12/21, Complete/UR since 12/22.

I know my numbers aren't good enough to suspect YP here, but I do notice that a lot of people who submitted later than me have already gotten decisions. For those who got admitted, how strong of a 'Why Cardozo' play did you make in your apps? I sent them my generic one, for the record...

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:30 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:Submitted 12/21, Complete/UR since 12/22.

I know my numbers aren't good enough to suspect YP here, but I do notice that a lot of people who submitted later than me have already gotten decisions. For those who got admitted, how strong of a 'Why Cardozo' play did you make in your apps? I sent them my generic one, for the record...

I think you'll probably get in, don't sweat. 気にしないで

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:49 pm

lawfreak wrote:Like I stated once before - It is quite useless to tell people that you were accepted without giving us the dates sent in and were officially accepted. Additionally, it would be helpful if you posted your stats.

Unless of course, they don't want to post stats and are just sharing good news in hopes that someone will be happy for them. Or if, you know, they've already posted everything to LSN or some similarly dedicated site.

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:

I think you'll probably get in, don't sweat. 気にしないで

サンキュー^^ Not super stressed, but it'd be nice to know.

Hank Chill

Postby Hank Chill » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:13 pm

lawfreak wrote:

Here, perhaps I can be more useful.

My application was received and went under review on 12/14. My experience with Cardozo was unique in that I was sent an email on 1/11 inviting me to participate in a phone interview. The interview occurred on 1/14 and lasted for approximately twenty minutes. I then received a phone call on 1/24 informing me of my acceptance. My status updated to decision rendered and sent on 1/27, and I opened my mailbox today to retrieve the package.

My gpa was in their 25/75 but my LSAT was slightly below their 25. I believe they scheduled an interview because they were on the fence about me. I am a good conversationalist so the interview over the phone went extremely well. I have not heard of phone interviews except those concerning Harvard so I believe that my experience was unique.

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:19 pm

hank can u pm your stats/

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:22 pm

Hank Chill wrote:
lawfreak wrote:

My application was received and went under review on 12/14. My experience with Cardozo was unique in that I was sent an email on 1/11 inviting me to participate in a phone interview. The interview occurred on 1/14 and lasted for approximately twenty minutes. I then received a phone call on 1/24 informing me of my acceptance. My status updated to decision rendered and sent on 1/27, and I opened my mailbox today to retrieve the package.

My gpa was in their 25/75 but my LSAT was slightly below their 25. I believe they scheduled an interview because they were on the fence about me. I am a good conversationalist so the interview over the phone went extremely well. I have not heard of phone interviews except those concerning Harvard so I believe that my experience was unique.

Now that's more like it! Thanks for sharing!

What kind of things did they ask you in the phone interview?

Hank Chill

Postby Hank Chill » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:05 pm

lawfreak wrote:
Hank Chill wrote:
lawfreak wrote:

Now that's more like it! Thanks for sharing!

What kind of things did they ask you in the phone interview?

They asked me to elaborate on my softs. They were particularly interested in the boutique firm I worked at during my Junior and Senior years.

The woman I spoke to was extremely nice and receptive to my questions about Cardozo. They weren't asking me to brown-nose about the school or anything like that. They seemed genuinely interested in me as an individual and my activites during undergrad.

The whole thing took twenty minutes and was a very pleasant experience. I got the acceptance call ten days later from the same woman who interviewed me.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 am

I didn't write a why Cardozo essay.. I was accepted 1/19.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:19 pm

ilovesf wrote:

I didn't write a why Cardozo essay.. I was accepted 1/19.

neither did I went complete on 1/7 acceptance on 1/20. I did visit the school and had a great visit with someone in admin

chihuahua12

Postby chihuahua12 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:50 pm

Late Cardozo applicant here. I requested a fee waiver and they responded by asking for my resume. Anyone experience something similar?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:58 pm

Just got a call in class from a Cardozo phone number. They left a message so I'll have to see what it was. I feel a little guilty since I should probably withdraw...

I should note: I'm already in with a Paulsen. So I can only assume this is more money.
Last edited by Arbiter213 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:59 pm

Just got the call as well, in with 32k a year.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:04 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:Just got a call in class from a Cardozo phone number. They left a message so I'll have to see what it was. I feel a little guilty since I should probably withdraw...

I should note: I'm already in with a Paulsen. So I can only assume this is more money.

where you gonna go?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:07 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Just got a call in class from a Cardozo phone number. They left a message so I'll have to see what it was. I feel a little guilty since I should probably withdraw...

where you gonna go?

I have no idea, but I'd PROBABLY go to Cornell near sticker or Fordham with my $20k/ a year (can probably bump that up) if I was gonna stay in NY. Just seems more prudent, even given that my father happens to be moving to the upper west side this summer.

I just want to keep the option for now so I haven't withdrawn. Add in me being jewish and loving SoHo and Cardozo remains appealing.

Also, Cardozo is on the same block as my favorite NYC restaurant, and on a full ride I could actually afford to eat there.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:11 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:

where you gonna go?

I have no idea, but I'd PROBABLY go to Cornell near sticker or Fordham with my $20k/ a year (can probably bump that up) if I was gonna stay in NY. Just seems more prudent, even given that my father happens to be moving to the upper west side this summer.

I just want to keep the option for now so I haven't withdrawn. Add in me being jewish and loving SoHo and Cardozo remains appealing.

Also, Cardozo is on the same block as my favorite NYC restaurant, and on a full ride I could actually afford to eat there.

I'm waiting on Fordham and The purple school down the block! Iove Dozo's progressive mentality and the way they are agressive with acceptances. You know there are more Jewish students in Fordham I hear. I love the location of Cardozo also and they are a fairly new school so they aren't set in their way of teaching.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:17 pm

I am going forward assuming my remaining reaches are rejections for mental health :P

JD=Doctor

Postby JD=Doctor » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:23 pm

Ntn to do with $ .... Theyre (alumni 3Ls) calling asking if you have any questions about the school...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”