Cardozo 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Hank Chill
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby Hank Chill » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:27 pm

laurencita7 wrote:
Hank Chill wrote:In around noon CST via voicemail. They didn't say anything about a Scholarship on the phone, does anyone know if that can come with the admissions packet?


mine came with the admissions packet and was not mentioned on the phone.



Thanks, this gives me hope. I think Cardozo may be too expensive to attend sticker.

User avatar
mcubberly
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby mcubberly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:45 pm

Hank Chill wrote:
laurencita7 wrote:
Hank Chill wrote:In around noon CST via voicemail. They didn't say anything about a Scholarship on the phone, does anyone know if that can come with the admissions packet?


mine came with the admissions packet and was not mentioned on the phone.



Thanks, this gives me hope. I think Cardozo may be too expensive to attend sticker.


Got both $$ and acceptance info on the phone today

binghamtonalum
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby binghamtonalum » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:49 pm

do law schools see the LSAT scores for each section as well? Was always curious...seriously.

bmb255
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:25 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby bmb255 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:46 pm

Hi all-

Been following the discussion about YP with much curiosity.
UR 11/16
Decision Rendered 1/24= ON HOLD

171/3.4 with solid softs. Accepted to much higher schools, some with money. Any other reasonable explanations besides YP?

Good luck everyone.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby rman1201 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:53 pm

bmb255 wrote:Hi all-

Been following the discussion about YP with much curiosity.
UR 11/16
Decision Rendered 1/24= ON HOLD

171/3.4 with solid softs. Accepted to much higher schools, some with money. Any other reasonable explanations besides YP?

Good luck everyone.


On hold with 167/3.52

Do you remember if there was a section for other schools applied to on their app? Did you fill it out? I've been thinking maybe they're using that to figure out who's serious about cardozo... More top schools listed and they figure they're just a safety? That's the same as YP though...
No other explanation really, since we've been accepted to other top schools - meaning there likely isn't some blatant mistake on our apps/PS

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:07 pm

binghamtonalum wrote:do law schools see the LSAT scores for each section as well? Was always curious...seriously.


No, they don't. You can go on lsac and view the reports that they send each school if you're curious.

ebl1014
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:57 am

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby ebl1014 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:54 pm

Just got the call. In with $22,000 a year- which really, really thrills me since I had a 164/3.51 and most (all) of the scholarships on LSN with those numbers have been a fair bit less than $22,000. This is good news for people with good softs or grade trajectories. I had an LSAC GPA of 2.26 freshman year, 3.78 sophomore year, 3.96 junior year, and 3.9 senior year. Cardozo is the first school so far to consider my application with the trajectory and addendum and not just the overall GPA (or so it seems, at least)

ebl1014
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:57 am

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby ebl1014 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:02 pm

Also- anyone heard any word on the stipulations for any of the scholarship offers from Cardozo so far? I *knew* to ask when I got the phone call, and it crossed my mind when I was on the phone, but for some reason I felt like it was tacky (...I'm a total wimp).

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11777
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:21 pm

ebl1014 wrote:Also- anyone heard any word on the stipulations for any of the scholarship offers from Cardozo so far? I *knew* to ask when I got the phone call, and it crossed my mind when I was on the phone, but for some reason I felt like it was tacky (...I'm a total wimp).


My $20,000 scholarship has a 2.950 stipulation, which they said was around top 80% last year.. seems pretty reasonable!

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby aaaaaah » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:42 pm

rman1201 wrote:Just got the 'on hold' email...
167/3.52 ...
wtf dozo?
If not for my BU acceptance I'd be in tears


Oh, Jesus. This scares me. I have very similar stats- 168/3.6.

Cardozo is actually pretty high on my list. Would it be ridiculous to try to submit a "Why Cardozo" supplemental at this stage in the game? I've been under review since 1/10. Arghh.

User avatar
kalede
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby kalede » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:41 am

Has anyone gotten any information about travel subsidies for the Law School sneak peak in February?

JD=Doctor
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby JD=Doctor » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:18 am

kalede wrote:Has anyone gotten any information about travel subsidies for the Law School sneak peak in February?


Just the email....

ebl1014
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:57 am

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby ebl1014 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:00 am

I'm going to post this in here instead of starting a new topic and getting all the snide comments from people who aren't even in this situation. For those of you that got into Cardozo (with money... or without, possibly) and also got into St. John's (with more money, assuming) and Brooklyn (with/out money), which way are you leaning?

My position right now is 22k/year at Cardozo, full ride at SJU, and still waiting to hear from Brooklyn (and waitlisted at Fordham, not really considering it at sticker though). Whatever isn't covered by scholarship I'll have to take out loans for, which makes SJU very appealing. However, I really am starting to consider Cardozo for location differences alone. I have yet to go visit SJU, but Queens and Midtown are two totally different animals for me (especially since my family and friends are in western NJ, Hoboken, and Manhattan). I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be very foolish to take less money at Cardozo over a full ride at SJU but I'd like to hear what others have to say about it.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11777
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:19 pm

ebl1014 wrote:I'm going to post this in here instead of starting a new topic and getting all the snide comments from people who aren't even in this situation. For those of you that got into Cardozo (with money... or without, possibly) and also got into St. John's (with more money, assuming) and Brooklyn (with/out money), which way are you leaning?

My position right now is 22k/year at Cardozo, full ride at SJU, and still waiting to hear from Brooklyn (and waitlisted at Fordham, not really considering it at sticker though). Whatever isn't covered by scholarship I'll have to take out loans for, which makes SJU very appealing. However, I really am starting to consider Cardozo for location differences alone. I have yet to go visit SJU, but Queens and Midtown are two totally different animals for me (especially since my family and friends are in western NJ, Hoboken, and Manhattan). I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be very foolish to take less money at Cardozo over a full ride at SJU but I'd like to hear what others have to say about it.


I'm actually in the same exact situation, only I'm 20,000 per year at Cardozo, and also a full ride at SJU. Right now, I'm also leaning towards Cardozo. A large part of it is location differences as well, I've heard really bad things about the SJU neighborhood and how annoying it is to access the city, and I have somewhere I can stay rent free in manhattan, so that also makes a big difference for me. Another big thing is the different grade stipulations - staying top 80% in Cardozo seems a lot easier than top 40% at SJU. I'm still waiting to hear from a couple of schools though (including Brooklyn and Fordham), so I won't make a final decision until I go to the ASWs in March, and hear back from some other options.

User avatar
tartugas
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:43 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby tartugas » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:08 pm

ilovesf wrote:
ebl1014 wrote:I'm going to post this in here instead of starting a new topic and getting all the snide comments from people who aren't even in this situation. For those of you that got into Cardozo (with money... or without, possibly) and also got into St. John's (with more money, assuming) and Brooklyn (with/out money), which way are you leaning?

My position right now is 22k/year at Cardozo, full ride at SJU, and still waiting to hear from Brooklyn (and waitlisted at Fordham, not really considering it at sticker though). Whatever isn't covered by scholarship I'll have to take out loans for, which makes SJU very appealing. However, I really am starting to consider Cardozo for location differences alone. I have yet to go visit SJU, but Queens and Midtown are two totally different animals for me (especially since my family and friends are in western NJ, Hoboken, and Manhattan). I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be very foolish to take less money at Cardozo over a full ride at SJU but I'd like to hear what others have to say about it.


I'm actually in the same exact situation, only I'm 20,000 per year at Cardozo, and also a full ride at SJU. Right now, I'm also leaning towards Cardozo. A large part of it is location differences as well, I've heard really bad things about the SJU neighborhood and how annoying it is to access the city, and I have somewhere I can stay rent free in manhattan, so that also makes a big difference for me. Another big thing is the different grade stipulations - staying top 80% in Cardozo seems a lot easier than top 40% at SJU. I'm still waiting to hear from a couple of schools though (including Brooklyn and Fordham), so I won't make a final decision until I go to the ASWs in March, and hear back from some other options.



It sounds like both of you are already familiar with the city, but for those who don't know it as well it's important to understand that the locations of the 2 schools (Cardozo and SJU) are radically different. I'm already an NYC resident, so I can tell you that Cardozo is much easier to get to logistically than SJU (think city center vs. outlying suburban campus). There is no direct train service to get to St. John's either so unless you are within walking distance of campus, a car is almost a necessity (unless you like studying on the bus). QOL is such a subjective issue, it's difficult to say that one location is better than the other across the board, but if you prefer being on the outskirts of the city, then SJU is likely going to be a better envioronment.

Also, anyone who has the opportunity to live rent-free in NYC is waaaay ahead of the game COL-wise. Personally I'm leaning towards Cardozo for a few reasons, but I do have to say that I was more impressed by the students I met at SJU on a recent visit and their thoughts about the school than I thought I would be. I know a lot of people around here will tend to automatically discount schools based on rankings, but there are some interesting opportunities and resources available at SJU that merit attention.

IsleMet
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby IsleMet » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:16 pm

Strongly considering Dozo...Anyone know when the best time to negotiate money is? Should I wait until I have my other money offers at other schools? A living stipend would probably push me to Dozo over my other choices (BC, Fordham, Brooklyn).

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby Kinderby » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:18 pm

IsleMet wrote:Strongly considering Dozo...Anyone know when the best time to negotiate money is? Should I wait until I have my other money offers at other schools?

Yes, especially if they are higher-ranked and offer you money.

User avatar
magicman554
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby magicman554 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:26 pm

If my status changed today to "Decision rendered and sent" but I received no phone call so far, then I should just assume I've been dinged?

User avatar
Stringer6
Posts: 5865
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:45 am

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby Stringer6 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:29 pm

If my status changed today to "Decision rendered and sent" but I received no phone call so far, then I should just assume I've been dinged?


no. i got in and never got a phone call.

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby Kinderby » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:31 pm

I've just been UR since the day they got my application. :( I know it's only three weeks, but damn, it feels like a long three weeks!

maglialoro
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby maglialoro » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:31 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
magicman554
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby magicman554 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:31 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
If my status changed today to "Decision rendered and sent" but I received no phone call so far, then I should just assume I've been dinged?


no. i got in and never got a phone call.


Yummy. But maybe you missed the call?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11777
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:33 pm

tartugas wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
ebl1014 wrote:I'm going to post this in here instead of starting a new topic and getting all the snide comments from people who aren't even in this situation. For those of you that got into Cardozo (with money... or without, possibly) and also got into St. John's (with more money, assuming) and Brooklyn (with/out money), which way are you leaning?

My position right now is 22k/year at Cardozo, full ride at SJU, and still waiting to hear from Brooklyn (and waitlisted at Fordham, not really considering it at sticker though). Whatever isn't covered by scholarship I'll have to take out loans for, which makes SJU very appealing. However, I really am starting to consider Cardozo for location differences alone. I have yet to go visit SJU, but Queens and Midtown are two totally different animals for me (especially since my family and friends are in western NJ, Hoboken, and Manhattan). I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be very foolish to take less money at Cardozo over a full ride at SJU but I'd like to hear what others have to say about it.


I'm actually in the same exact situation, only I'm 20,000 per year at Cardozo, and also a full ride at SJU. Right now, I'm also leaning towards Cardozo. A large part of it is location differences as well, I've heard really bad things about the SJU neighborhood and how annoying it is to access the city, and I have somewhere I can stay rent free in manhattan, so that also makes a big difference for me. Another big thing is the different grade stipulations - staying top 80% in Cardozo seems a lot easier than top 40% at SJU. I'm still waiting to hear from a couple of schools though (including Brooklyn and Fordham), so I won't make a final decision until I go to the ASWs in March, and hear back from some other options.



It sounds like both of you are already familiar with the city, but for those who don't know it as well it's important to understand that the locations of the 2 schools (Cardozo and SJU) are radically different. I'm already an NYC resident, so I can tell you that Cardozo is much easier to get to logistically than SJU (think city center vs. outlying suburban campus). There is no direct train service to get to St. John's either so unless you are within walking distance of campus, a car is almost a necessity (unless you like studying on the bus). QOL is such a subjective issue, it's difficult to say that one location is better than the other across the board, but if you prefer being on the outskirts of the city, then SJU is likely going to be a better envioronment.

Also, anyone who has the opportunity to live rent-free in NYC is waaaay ahead of the game COL-wise. Personally I'm leaning towards Cardozo for a few reasons, but I do have to say that I was more impressed by the students I met at SJU on a recent visit and their thoughts about the school than I thought I would be. I know a lot of people around here will tend to automatically discount schools based on rankings, but there are some interesting opportunities and resources available at SJU that merit attention.


I've lived in Manhattan so I do know the area quite well and I've walked by the Cardozo buildings several times. I've never spent any time in Jamaica so I can't comment on the area, but I feel like I'd be unhappy living so far away from the center of the city.. I have a car, but I don't really want to bring it to law school with me. It's really expensive to keep, and I'd much rather just be able to use the subway.

User avatar
Stringer6
Posts: 5865
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:45 am

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby Stringer6 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:45 pm

But maybe you missed the call?


that's actually probably what happened bc i don't have service in my office.

but maybe YOU missed the call too...

User avatar
magicman554
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Re: Cardozo 2011

Postby magicman554 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:02 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
But maybe you missed the call?


that's actually probably what happened bc i don't have service in my office.

but maybe YOU missed the call too...



Nope. Ring-a-ding-ding.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”