Cardozo 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
starlaw89

New

Re: Cardozo 2011

Post by starlaw89 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:57 am

part-time fall applicant here and i am still "complete and under review"- anyone else in the same boat? i am just wondering when i receieve a decision! i applied early february. shouldn't have i already heard back since a deposit deadline has passed?

jdncu

New

Post by jdncu » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:31 pm

starlaw89 wrote:part-time fall applicant here and i am still "complete and under review"- anyone else in the same boat? i am just wondering when i receieve a decision! i applied early february. shouldn't have i already heard back since a deposit deadline has passed?
There is no part-time fall program....

Are you sure you don't mean the May program?

starlaw89

New

Post by starlaw89 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:09 pm

yep, sorry made a mistake. it was late at night. forgive me!

lulumore

New

Post by lulumore » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:50 pm

Anyone has an idea how long their wait list is?

jdncu

New

Post by jdncu » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:13 pm

starlaw89 wrote:yep, sorry made a mistake. it was late at night. forgive me!
Sorry, didn't mean to chide you. I just found it really odd that a May part-timer hadn't heard yet considering they are now admitting waitlist people and probably will be pretty much done with that in the next week or two based on past history.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jokerman

New

Post by jokerman » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:20 pm

Anyone here apply to NYLS as a back-up school and get an interesting e-mail today like I did? NYLS's dean seems pissed!!!!

jdncu

New

Post by jdncu » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:26 pm

jokerman wrote:Anyone here apply to NYLS as a back-up school and get an interesting e-mail today like I did? NYLS's dean seems pissed!!!!
I did, but turned down their offer. If you could share I'd be interested!

jehan

New

Post by jehan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:28 pm

What email?? Didn't get any yet... can you post it?

krb89f

New

Post by krb89f » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:29 pm

Anyone here apply to NYLS as a back-up school and get an interesting e-mail today like I did? NYLS's dean seems pissed!!!!
I did apply to NYLS but no interesting email today. Still hoping the Cardozo waitlist moves in my favor.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jokerman

New

Post by jokerman » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:31 pm

.... personal boring stuff above

There is a great deal of information, misinformation, and disinformation about law schools in the media, on the Internet, as well as those in the legal profession. The economic downturn of the past few years has focused tremendous attention on law schools; not all of the reports are correct or in the proper context. Here are some facts to consider while making your decision:

* While the number of persons taking the LSAT and applying for admission to law schools in the US this year has declined from last year, it remains the second largest year on record according to LSAC. The media is definitely overplaying (and short-changing the facts) the drop in interest in law study. This was one of the most competitive years to gain admission to New York Law School as our applications increased by approximately 40% from last year.
* The “angry law grad” movement that has gotten much media attention, most notably by the New York Times, isn’t being reported with the full story. What most of these reports, stories, and blogs fail to say is that these angry grads generally did not have clear reasons for going to law school in the first place, did little research on legal hiring and careers before law school, and, most damning, chose their law school based solely or primarily on rankings (like USN&WR) or by name recognition of the law school. By-and-large, they failed to assess their needs and values and focus on outputs of the schools they considered. Don’t let that be you.
* For the past five years, New York Law’s bar pass rate has exceeded the New York State average and for four of those five years place us in the top-third in the state. In all five years our pass rate exceeded that of Hofstra, Buffalo, Touro, Albany, and CUNY and for four of those years Pace and Syracuse as well. Our 2008 rate exceeded those of Fordham and Brooklyn and our 2009 rate exceeded Cardozo, Saint John’s, and Brooklyn. In this time frame, New York Law School had more favorable or comparable employment statistics than these schools.
* New York Law School has the lowest student loan default rate of any law school in the country, less than 1/10th of one percent. This means that our graduates are getting jobs, earning money and able to repay their loans.
* In addition to their overall rankings, USN&WR also ranks various aspects of law schools. Our evening program, which was established in 1904, ranks 44th nationally of the 80 part-time programs ranked. Our Intellectual Property program is ranked 26th nationally. Further, USN&WR ranks NYLS 69th in diversity with more than 30% of our students from underrepresented groups and 12% Latino/Hispanic.
* New York Law School is one the few law schools with an honors program—the Harlan Scholars Honors Program. In addition, we offer nine academic centers and more than 250 elective courses each year.
* Our fixed tuition means that your tuition will remain constant throughout your J.D. studies. Other schools raise tuition each year, diluting the value of scholarships and grants and creating anxiety about meeting the increasing cost of attendance each year. At New York Law School, with no tuition increase, we can assist you in your financial planning before you begin and avoid the cost anxiety you’ll find elsewhere. Better yet, when compared to other schools in NYC, the total cost of attendance is actually less at New York Law School over the course of the J.D. program.
* New York Law School receives consistently high marks on the Law School Survey of Student Engagement (LSSSE). One area in which we stand out from other law schools is in the area of student counseling, particularly the availability and quality of financial aid counseling. Take advantage of that and speak with your admission and financial aid counselor.

No other law school in the country has the advantage of location that we have enjoyed since we were founded 120 years ago. With all of the state and federal courts within four blocks of the front door, with our buildings in the midst of the city’s civic center—for city, state, and federal offices, and with Wall Street and the world’s financial capital just a short walk away, our students learn in the classroom and gain practical experience through internships, externships, part-time employment, and summer employment.

I also urge you to read Shifting the Focus from Inputs to Outputs which appeared in the New York Law Journal on April 25, 2011 and was written by New York Law School Dean and President, Richard Matasar.

Don’t miss your chance to Learn Law and Take Action at New York Law School!

Sincerely,

Dean Perez

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:43 pm

What a crock of shit.

"Our tuition remains fixed, so it won't go up!" Wow, thanks. Give me a break. Plus pointing out that your bar passage rate consistently exceeded that of Touro, Albany, and CUNY isn't exactly that encouraging. At all.

Not really sure why this is on the Cardozo topic..

EDIT: someone asked for it. got it.
Last edited by aidez-moi on Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jdncu

New

Post by jdncu » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:45 pm

Wow, that sounds pretty desperate! What I take from it is that even with a 40% increase in applications, they are having an extremely hard time yielding the number of students expected. Taking a shot at other law schools in an email to prospective students is pretty low. He also blatantly lies on employment statistics and the NYTimes articles primarily focused on people that applied to schools because they liked the location (not the ranking, i.e. NYLS would be one of those schools.) They also happen to possibly be the worst value of all NYC area schools.

Glad I told them where to take their $!

neptunestar

New

Post by neptunestar » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:49 pm

lulumore wrote:Anyone has an idea how long their wait list is?
Check out Cardozo's lawschoolnumbers.com page, the waitlist seems massive :(

Sad face because I'm on it...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

neptunestar

New

Post by neptunestar » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:04 pm

I assume that they dont look at the FT waitlist until after the PT program is handled/has already begun... Can anyone confirm this with past years evidence or having talked with an admissions person from 'Dozo?

AssociateX

New

Post by AssociateX » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:34 pm

jokerman wrote:.... personal boring stuff above

(edited to focus on paragraph below:)
*.....* The “angry law grad” movement that has gotten much media attention, most notably by the New York Times, isn’t being reported with the full story. What most of these reports, stories, and blogs fail to say is that these angry grads generally did not have clear reasons for going to law school in the first place, did little research on legal hiring and careers before law school, and, most damning, chose their law school based solely or primarily on rankings (like USN&WR) or by name recognition of the law school. By-and-large, they failed to assess their needs and values and focus on outputs of the schools they considered. Don’t let that be you.

...Don’t miss your chance to Learn Law and Take Action at New York Law School!

Sincerely,

Dean Perez
This is so false it isn't even funny. I am fully aware of the "angry" movement (scamblogger if a better term can be substituted) and know several classmates who advocate for changes in how employment statistics are reported. The fact is that law school tuition keeps rising at a rate that outpaces inflation. A year of tuition at NYLS will cost an average student moving to NYC about $ 60K/year. Over the span of 3 years it will easily rise over $120K and that doesnt include extra things like housing, job search expenses, living expenses, etc. Students are given incomplete information about graduate placement and you blame THEM when its the law schools who aren['t forthcoming with the data needed to make an educated assessment of wheree to attend law school? COME ON. They are really on crack!!

PS Dean Matasar is also on the board of Access Group, a student lender if anyone did not know this...(just read more at the Third Tier Reality blog).

jokerman

New

Post by jokerman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:07 pm

Can anybody confirm a majority of the May Program is filled by Fall WL applicants? I have read things to that effect elsewhere, but wondered if I was the only one.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:16 pm

neptunestar wrote:I assume that they dont look at the FT waitlist until after the PT program is handled/has already begun... Can anyone confirm this with past years evidence or having talked with an admissions person from 'Dozo?
I just got a call from Cardozo asking about my other offers today, stating they'd give me a decision in a couple of days (I was WL'd back in January)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ldubs

New

Post by Ldubs » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:17 pm

did anyone else get an email from them today?

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:19 pm

Ldubs wrote:did anyone else get an email from them today?
I did.

jokerman

New

Post by jokerman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:23 pm

Justathought wrote:
Ldubs wrote:did anyone else get an email from them today?
I did.

I did as well... basically saying nothing new right?

ebl1014

Bronze

Post by ebl1014 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:24 pm

Email about the waitlist or an email to admitted/deposited students?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jokerman

New

Post by jokerman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:25 pm

aliarrow wrote:
neptunestar wrote:I assume that they dont look at the FT waitlist until after the PT program is handled/has already begun... Can anyone confirm this with past years evidence or having talked with an admissions person from 'Dozo?
I just got a call from Cardozo asking about my other offers today, stating they'd give me a decision in a couple of days (I was WL'd back in January)

Sounds like you will be getting some good news here very soon. I hope I am right and I hope I get a call soon as well!!!! Cheers (I think)!!!!!

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:26 pm

ebl1014 wrote:Email about the waitlist or an email to admitted/deposited students?
Wait list email. Standard stuff.

krb89f

New

Post by krb89f » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Is this similar/different to the email that came out ~2 weeks ago asking if waitlisted students are still interested in staying on the waitlist?

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:49 pm

krb89f wrote:
Is this similar/different to the email that came out ~2 weeks ago asking if waitlisted students are still interested in staying on the waitlist?
For me, it was slightly different, though similar. It just noted that they expected to begin making wait list offers in the late spring / early summer. I sent them a thank you email, and they emailed me back thanking me and noting I would remain under consideration.

The difference was that it did not demand a response. The last one said something along the lines of, "If you're still interested tell us by this date."

This one did not, but I don't think its a sign of anything positive. If anything they probably just didn't feel the need to further cull the wait list pool, at the moment.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”