Cardozo 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
2011Cycle

Bronze

Re: Cardozo 2011

Post by 2011Cycle » Fri May 27, 2011 5:21 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:For those who have applied for housing in the Alabama, notifications are being sent out. I received mine today.
Are you staying there?
So far it's the bird in the hand -- 5 minute walk from Whole Foods and Trader Joe's is great selling point.

IH21

New

Post by IH21 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:19 pm

Anyone else on the waitlist get the e-mail today asking to reaffirm interest?

dariamorgendorffer

New

Post by dariamorgendorffer » Tue May 31, 2011 12:39 pm

IH21 wrote:Anyone else on the waitlist get the e-mail today asking to reaffirm interest?
I got that email, but I was never officially "waitlisted," just still on hold. Is there even a difference at this point?

nmmski

New

Post by nmmski » Tue May 31, 2011 1:42 pm

I was accepted off of the waitlist last week, just a few hours after sending a LOCI. You should expect a lot of movement after June 1st. If you are still interested in attending, reaffirm your interest in a timely fashion...they will probably accept you.
Last edited by nmmski on Tue May 31, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Tue May 31, 2011 2:31 pm

May 27th was the second deposit deadline

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jokerman

New

Post by jokerman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:15 pm

I am torn... My GF and I originally were both going to move to NYC, but she did not get into her publishing program and so she plans to stay in Chicago another year. I am WL'd at Cardozo but got into Chicago-Kent. The problem is the GF, whom I have serious interest in marrying one day is likely going to have to go to NYC at some point to get into publishing. Thus the problem is what do I do? Stay in Chicago or go to NYC if I get into Cardozo?

Thoughts!

Woods, Elle

Bronze

Post by Woods, Elle » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:42 pm

Considering you're in at Chicago, I think you have to plan on going there.

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:19 pm

Does Dozo's IP program rank 5th in the nation amongst law schools beating out NYU and Columbia?

law's cool

New

Post by law's cool » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:14 pm

blacklawboss wrote:Does Dozo's IP program rank 5th in the nation amongst law schools beating out NYU and Columbia?
According to the (relatively meaningless) US News Specialty Rankings, yes. But if a student from NYU or Columbia wants an IP job, he/she will get it over the Cardozo grad almost every time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:27 pm

law's cool wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:Does Dozo's IP program rank 5th in the nation amongst law schools beating out NYU and Columbia?
According to the (relatively meaningless) US News Specialty Rankings, yes. But if a student from NYU or Columbia wants an IP job, he/she will get it over the Cardozo grad almost every time.
+1, and this cannot be emphasized enough.

I think the source of confusion may be the US News ranking of academic "departments" at universities, which are actually distinct units, so that a university generally ranked #50 could in fact have the #2 philosophy or economics department. This is highly meaningful for a masters or Ph.D. and should be taken very seriously in those contexts.

For a law degree, however, the law school itself is the equivalent of the academic "department." So-called "programs" within the law school have a relatively minor impact on your experience, and more importantly, your employability. A highly ranked "IP program" is probably at best going to mean an extra course or two, maybe a special clinic, maybe a star prof. But any reputable law school is going to offer you roughly the same IP coursework, some kind of IP clinic opportunity (not to mention that you can always do externships), and you can learn stuff like copyright, trademark and patent from virtually any competent, articulate professor -- in fact it will be taught relatively similarly wherever you take it.

Further, employers know that even if you do an extra clinic and take an extra course, that doesn't make you all that much more qualified for a job -- it demonstrates interest and gives you a slight head start, but ultimately most of what you need to learn will be on the job. And overall school ranking is still considered a better indicator of "raw" qualification (for better or for worse) than a school's "programs."

Long-winded way of saying that an "IP program" is mostly a marketing tool. It may make your experience slightly more enjoyable but it is 100% trumped by overall school stature.

jokerman

New

Post by jokerman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:52 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:
law's cool wrote:
+1, and this cannot be emphasized enough.

I think the source of confusion may be the US News ranking of academic "departments" at universities, which are actually distinct units, so that a university generally ranked #50 could in fact have the #2 philosophy or economics department. This is highly meaningful for a masters or Ph.D. and should be taken very seriously in those contexts.

For a law degree, however, the law school itself is the equivalent of the academic "department." So-called "programs" within the law school have a relatively minor impact on your experience, and more importantly, your employability. A highly ranked "IP program" is probably at best going to mean an extra course or two, maybe a special clinic, maybe a star prof. But any reputable law school is going to offer you roughly the same IP coursework, some kind of IP clinic opportunity (not to mention that you can always do externships), and you can learn stuff like copyright, trademark and patent from virtually any competent, articulate professor -- in fact it will be taught relatively similarly wherever you take it.

Further, employers know that even if you do an extra clinic and take an extra course, that doesn't make you all that much more qualified for a job -- it demonstrates interest and gives you a slight head start, but ultimately most of what you need to learn will be on the job. And overall school ranking is still considered a better indicator of "raw" qualification (for better or for worse) than a school's "programs."

Long-winded way of saying that an "IP program" is mostly a marketing tool. It may make your experience slightly more enjoyable but it is 100% trumped by overall school stature.
Though not directly linked to IP, there is one exception to the rule (for now at least) which is ADR (alternative dispute resolution) opportunities. Not every school offers great ADR opportunities as it is (as I understand it) relatively new and very attractive to employers.

Additionally, though it only accounts for maybe 2-3 jobs, going where a superstar prof is means the prof likely has unique connections in their field to lucrative opportunities that can only be attained by knowing that specific prof. However, this still maybe accounts for 2-3 jobs, if not typically 1 a year.

just my 2 cents... overall you are quite right

neptunestar

New

Post by neptunestar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Any pulse here?

nmmski

New

Post by nmmski » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:17 pm

There are still spots available, but the class is nearly full.

Admitted students received an email to that effect today

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

auroojgulzar

New

Post by auroojgulzar » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:31 am

Hey ex May student here. I'm selling my elements of law, contracts, and criminal law books. let me know if any of you are interested.

-CONTRACTS: Contracts 9th edition ISBN is 9781599411507 (retail $175) selling for $80. there is moderate highlighting throughout the book. I wrote on the side of the first 150 pages. the writing is useful because it either defines a work that I didn't know the meaning of or summarizes the case under discussion.
-Contracts supplement published source material 2010 ed. (retail $40) selling for $30 brand NEW never used
-CRIMINAL Law, 8th edition Aspen ISBN 9780735557949 (retail $ 177) selling for $100 in LIKE NEW CONDITION. no HIGHLIGHTING
-ELEMENTS OF LAW, 2nd edition ISBN 9781422476765 (retail $97.00) selling for $50 in like new condition. very little highlighting in the first couple of pages.

I live in New York so I can meet up with you to give you the book.

Thanks!

steviejanowski

New

Post by steviejanowski » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Did everyone on the WL get the email yesterday asking if you are still interested?

lulumore

New

Post by lulumore » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:38 am

I have paid the full deposit at Cardozo and is very likely to attend it, but I am also on the wait list of College of W&M and would go to it if offered a position. Now Cardozo asked me to respond with their response choices (as the following). Should I be honest about it? I think the chance to be accepted to W&M is small.

A. I will definitely enroll at Cardozo this August. I am not holding a place on any other school's wait list, and am certain that I will attend Cardozo.

B. It is very likely that I will enroll at Cardozo this August. However, I am currently on the wait list at _______________ Law School(s), and, if admitted, I may choose to withdraw from Cardozo. I will inform you immediately if I have any change in my enrollment plans.

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:41 am

Answer truthfully.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DJsm20

New

Post by DJsm20 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:23 am

lulumore wrote:I have paid the full deposit at Cardozo and is very likely to attend it, but I am also on the wait list of College of W&M and would go to it if offered a position. Now Cardozo asked me to respond with their response choices (as the following). Should I be honest about it? I think the chance to be accepted to W&M is small.

A. I will definitely enroll at Cardozo this August. I am not holding a place on any other school's wait list, and am certain that I will attend Cardozo.

B. It is very likely that I will enroll at Cardozo this August. However, I am currently on the wait list at _______________ Law School(s), and, if admitted, I may choose to withdraw from Cardozo. I will inform you immediately if I have any change in my enrollment plans.
I am in similar situation but waitlisted at a different school. I was surprised by email and initially felt uncomfortable letting them know but did answer truthfully. I mean they are not going to take back offer but I suppose it can help them plan for possible spots opening up for their waitlisted students. I still have a glimmer of hope getting off waitlist (although fading a little each day) so this would trickle down to somebody getting my spot at Cardozo.

nymario

Bronze

Post by nymario » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:49 am

Tell them. It benefits other students on the waitlist at Cardozo -- since they'll probably be able to make an educated guess (based on *aggregate* responses) and admit them earlier than they otherwise would. Wouldn't you want the schools you're waitlisted at to do something similar, rather than have to scramble at the end of the month? The sooner everything shakes out the better

There is almost zero harm to you in telling them you are on a waitlist. Perhaps they admit an extra student and are over-enrolled that marginal bit because of it. But that extra student was a marginal admit, which is statistically likely to benefit you on the curve. The potential downside (marginally decreased quality of a oversubscribed section and overall lessening to the school's reputation) is, in my opinion, lower.

Keep in mind that all this is so statistically insignificant as to be irrelevant. The main thing is that nobody outside of admissions (who won't give it a second thought as they plow into their January-entry and then class of 2015 once the class of 2014 is formed) will have any idea that you had preferred a different school before entering.

asparagus18

New

Post by asparagus18 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:22 am

Just as a historical reference--- this happened to my son (rising Cardozo 2L) last year. I don't remember if it was May or June, probably June. He had paid full deposit at one school and was on seven or eight waiting lists. Cardozo called on a Thursday and asked him his status. He was truthful. Cardozo asked him, if we offered you admission, would you withdraw from all other waiting lists? He asked them for a few days to think about it, then called and said yes. The following day he was offered admission.

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:46 am

Drafting my withdrawal letter today. I wish you guys the best GREAT F*@KING SCHOOL!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”