Georgia 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ga345

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby ga345 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:39 pm

Sandro wrote:I think theres less discussion because UGA is going slow with admissions. After ASW and deposit deadlines it should pick up....

Fingers crossed!!!

limelightwave

Postby limelightwave » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:38 am

talked to admissions this morning. they said all decisions should be out by april 1.

ga345

Postby ga345 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:10 pm

That date keeps getting pushed back so I hope so!!

txag10

Postby txag10 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:13 pm

Yeah, I'm still really surprised I haven't been dinged yet. I haven't even been held...

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:37 pm

PrayingforHYS wrote:
cake wrote:
ga345 wrote:Wow uga took a hit in the rankings! I know some are saying last year was a fluke but what does it mean for all the high scores they have been letting in/low scores they havent

Not really. With all the ties, we only dropped one or two positions. I just hope the numbers improve next year when I'm looking for a job...

Yeah, there are some ties, but the rankings are still the rankings...UGA dropped from 28 to 35

In the grand scheme of things, UGA is still going to place well in the south (particularly GA, obvs) ... dropping 7 spots in the USNWR isn't going to really affect that. However, in terms of national prospects, I don't know what % of UGA grads go on to NLJ250, but that could take a hit, especially with schools like IU-B, UC-Davis, Washington, W and L making gains right around/above UGA.

Dude, you totally read my mind. So far as the Atlanta market is concerned, UGA could fall to 98th and it wouldn't matter. This is because UGA is UGA. With that, there is a certain amount of influence that comes with the letters, not to mention the "good-ole boy" ties. Conceivably, UGA will place well in the Atlanta market for as long as there is an Atlanta market, period.

splittinghairs

Postby splittinghairs » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:24 pm

In today Via Email, sweeeeet (doing back flips)

Anyone going to Open House on 3/26? and if you are does anyone know if there are any travel stipends? Im from cali so plane tickets will cost me an arm and a leg.
Last edited by splittinghairs on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:19 pm

splittinghairs wrote:In today Via Email, sweeeeet (doing back flips)

Didnt think Id have a shot with my stats: 2.64/165, OOS

Anyone going to Open House on 3/26? and if you are does anyone know if there are any travel stipends? Im from cali so plane tickets will cost me an arm and a leg.

Congrats! Unfortunately, no travel stipends though.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:22 pm

Is there anyone that goes to Georgia that is just miserable? I mean...reading the Baylor thread scurred me but everything about Athens seems positive?

limelightwave

Postby limelightwave » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:43 pm

Congrats! When did you go complete?

Also, it seems like UGA really does love the 165 and higher LSATs.... hopefully that bodes well for me ;)

splittinghairs

Postby splittinghairs » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:14 pm

limelightwave wrote:

Congrats! When did you go complete?

Also, it seems like UGA really does love the 165 and higher LSATs.... hopefully that bodes well for me ;)

submitted on 2/16 complete on 3/1, well i think the posters were right about the 165 cutoff considering my dismal GPA, goodluck to u

Oh i checked your profile, id say with ur stats u are in Great shape for some good news.
Btw i also got into Baylor with $ and got waitlisted at W&M
Last edited by splittinghairs on Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jarv1506

Postby jarv1506 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:18 pm

Congrats!

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:21 pm

bartleby wrote:Is there anyone that goes to Georgia that is just miserable? I mean...reading the Baylor thread scurred me but everything about Athens seems positive?

UGA undergrad was nice, but I was very disappointed with the job prospects. I received an email from the dean of Terry College, the business school, yesterday. He was practically begging alumni to help graduating students get jobs. Sorry, Dean, but I didn't get a job when I graduated with my BBA, either, so I can't exactly help out the people below me.

Athens, as a city, is amazing. I've lived here five years. I love it. I loved the school, too, it was just the poor job prospects from the business school when I graduated. You would think a 3.7 could find me a job somewhere.

you_were_driving

Postby you_were_driving » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:35 pm

Pricer wrote:
bartleby wrote:Is there anyone that goes to Georgia that is just miserable? I mean...reading the Baylor thread scurred me but everything about Athens seems positive?

UGA undergrad was nice, but I was very disappointed with the job prospects. I received an email from the dean of Terry College, the business school, yesterday. He was practically begging alumni to help graduating students get jobs. Sorry, Dean, but I didn't get a job when I graduated with my BBA, either, so I can't exactly help out the people below me.

Athens, as a city, is amazing. I've lived here five years. I love it. I loved the school, too, it was just the poor job prospects from the business school when I graduated. You would think a 3.7 could find me a job somewhere.

I know the feeling. When I entered into my under-grad's business school it seemed like the best option as a fall back if law school wasn't an option immediately after graduation. I went to a peer-school of Georgia, but the college of business is no Terry and i consider myself fortunate to be working 60+ hours a week for an average salary considering the trouble a lot of my classmates are having.

here's to reviewed and held for further review 3/17!

hokie

Postby hokie » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:48 am

chiming in on the employment woes. After college, it was indeed hard for me to find a job (especially as a liberal arts major not even business) but was lucky to find a job I liked. Having gone through the agony of a job hunt in this economy, I try to help out graduates of my school as much as possible now, even if it is just posting summer employment. Don't know if the economy is turning around (I hope so), but the few people I know from my UG that are business majors all seemed to have secured relatively good jobs despite average/below stellar GPAs

UGA related, did anyone receive a confirmation email after registering for ASW? I never got anything but got an email (and snail mail) reminding me to register.......I don't want to register twice to be safe and look like a dummy

jarv1506

Postby jarv1506 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:08 am

hokie wrote:chiming in on the employment woes. After college, it was indeed hard for me to find a job (especially as a liberal arts major not even business) but was lucky to find a job I liked. Having gone through the agony of a job hunt in this economy, I try to help out graduates of my school as much as possible now, even if it is just posting summer employment. Don't know if the economy is turning around (I hope so), but the few people I know from my UG that are business majors all seemed to have secured relatively good jobs despite average/below stellar GPAs

UGA related, did anyone receive a confirmation email after registering for ASW? I never got anything but got an email (and snail mail) reminding me to register.......I don't want to register twice to be safe and look like a dummy

I received a confirmation e-mail about 15 minutes after I registered for ASW. However I also received an e-mail yesterday reminding me to register. I called the school and they said that the reminder was sent out to everyone. To be safe they checked the list of confirmed attendees and I was on it. So if you call down there they can let you know if they have you down as registered or not.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:34 am

hokie wrote:chiming in on the employment woes. After college, it was indeed hard for me to find a job (especially as a liberal arts major not even business) but was lucky to find a job I liked. Having gone through the agony of a job hunt in this economy, I try to help out graduates of my school as much as possible now, even if it is just posting summer employment. Don't know if the economy is turning around (I hope so), but the few people I know from my UG that are business majors all seemed to have secured relatively good jobs despite average/below stellar GPAs

I would help them out if I could. I know what it's like to be in the position of graduating with no job lined up. It isn't the students' faults. It is the economy. The career services office at UGA is actually very helpful, there simply just aren't enough jobs out there for everyone. Also, the investment banking jobs that we all thought we would get are actually quite rare, especially for students at state universities. No one is to blame here. I just find it funny that the dean is sending emails out to people that graduated a year ago asking for help when I know that I (finance BBA, 3.7), my roommate (finance and econ BBA, 3.3), and my other roommate (finance and econ BBA, 3.6) have had no luck finding any career-type job relating to our majors.

leidice

Postby leidice » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:37 pm

Went from held to UR to held and now UR again. All today.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:49 pm

leidice wrote:Went from held to UR to held and now UR again. All today.

"Georgia loves me, Georgia loves me not, Georgia loves me..."

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:52 pm

Pricer wrote:

I would help them out if I could. I know what it's like to be in the position of graduating with no job lined up. It isn't the students' faults. It is the economy. The career services office at UGA is actually very helpful, there simply just aren't enough jobs out there for everyone. Also, the investment banking jobs that we all thought we would get are actually quite rare, especially for students at state universities. No one is to blame here. I just find it funny that the dean is sending emails out to people that graduated a year ago asking for help when I know that I (finance BBA, 3.7), my roommate (finance and econ BBA, 3.3), and my other roommate (finance and econ BBA, 3.6) have had no luck finding any career-type job relating to our majors.

ITE, and especially when I graduated in 09, the only way to get a job is by knowing someone. Good luck getting a job when hundreds of people apply for positions. That is why I'm trying to place such a premium on going to the school with the best employment prospects because I will be damned if I go to school from 05-14 and come out of it unemployed.

leidice

Postby leidice » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:34 pm

Sandro wrote:
leidice wrote:Went from held to UR to held and now UR again. All today.

"Georgia loves me, Georgia loves me not, Georgia loves me..."

Georgia loves me not, they think. Back to held. :( haha

Jennypenny

Postby Jennypenny » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:08 am

Apartment Help? I've never been to Georgia, but it's in my top two right now. If I pick Georgia, I will probably have to move there from across the country in May, and pick an apartment sight unseen. Where do the grad students/married ppl like to live? I'm married and have a cat. So I will need a 1Bed/1Bath, and no roommates. I'm so worried that we'll have drunk, loud neighbors. I can't afford visit before hand, so I'm also worried about finding a good place. Any suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks!

jaxgolfer

Postby jaxgolfer » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:02 pm

Anyone think I can use an instate-equalizer from South Carolina to negotiate with UGA for the same? Or will the addcomms from Georgia just laugh at me?

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:07 pm

jaxgolfer wrote:Anyone think I can use an instate-equalizer from South Carolina to negotiate with UGA for the same? Or will the addcomms from Georgia just laugh at me?

I laughed. :lol:

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:08 pm

jaxgolfer wrote:the addcomms from Georgia just laugh at me

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:42 pm

jaxgolfer wrote:Anyone think I can use an instate-equalizer from South Carolina to negotiate with UGA for the same? Or will the addcomms from Georgia just laugh at me?

Is South Carolina even in the top 100? I don't think it is considered a peer school. Bama would be the closest peer school in the southeast, I think.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”