Georgia 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sandro

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Sandro » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:27 pm

JenDarby wrote:So, I was accepted a few weeks back, with no mention of any scholarship. That being the case, I wont be attending. I'm contemplating send an email regarding it, anyone have any experience negotiating with them?

I would shoot them an email. PMed you.

iambeautiful

Postby iambeautiful » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Tagged for later

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:59 pm

anyone have any success negotiating? just a grand or two a year would do it for me.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:04 pm

I'm wondering about this too. as anyone had success asking for a tuition equalizer or anything? I got a letter telling me that i would have to pay sticker and Even though I really want to go there, my wife is hard to convince. a tuition equalizer might just do it.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:08 pm

bergg007 wrote:I'm wondering about this too. as anyone had success asking for a tuition equalizer or anything? I got a letter telling me that i would have to pay sticker and Even though I really want to go there, my wife is hard to convince. a tuition equalizer might just do it.

Can you tell me why you'd be interested in UGA over SMU w/ that scholarship? I'm just wondering cause I'm in the same boat.

pballer

Postby pballer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:18 pm

bergg007 wrote:I'm wondering about this too. as anyone had success asking for a tuition equalizer or anything? I got a letter telling me that i would have to pay sticker and Even though I really want to go there, my wife is hard to convince. a tuition equalizer might just do it.

I'm visiting in 2 and a half weeks and am going to ask about tuition equalization then. I'll relay the procedure and response when I talk with them.

Mr_Brightside

Postby Mr_Brightside » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:23 pm

STILL UR, complete since early December. WTF. Wait list here I come :(

leidice

Postby leidice » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:39 pm

Held today. I feel like it's a little late for that.. hasn't their app deadline passed? who/what else are they waiting on? haha

spets

Postby spets » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:12 pm

leidice wrote:Held today. I feel like it's a little late for that.. hasn't their app deadline passed? who/what else are they waiting on? haha

:(
Last edited by spets on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

millardtime

Postby millardtime » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:22 pm

Also held today. Better than a flat out rejection. My only hope is that I'm in-state.

ga345

Postby ga345 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:47 pm

Wow uga took a hit in the rankings! I know some are saying last year was a fluke but what does it mean for all the high scores they have been letting in/low scores they havent

cake

Postby cake » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:15 pm

ga345 wrote:Wow uga took a hit in the rankings! I know some are saying last year was a fluke but what does it mean for all the high scores they have been letting in/low scores they havent

Not really. With all the ties, we only dropped one or two positions. I just hope the numbers improve next year when I'm looking for a job...

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:20 pm

cake wrote:
ga345 wrote:Wow uga took a hit in the rankings! I know some are saying last year was a fluke but what does it mean for all the high scores they have been letting in/low scores they havent

Not really. With all the ties, we only dropped one or two positions. I just hope the numbers improve next year when I'm looking for a job...

not that it makes a real difference but the wake$$$ v. Uga dilemma just got that much more difficult for me

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:41 am

cake wrote:

Yeah, there are some ties, but the rankings are still the rankings...UGA dropped from 28 to 35

In the grand scheme of things, UGA is still going to place well in the south (particularly GA, obvs) ... dropping 7 spots in the USNWR isn't going to really affect that. However, in terms of national prospects, I don't know what % of UGA grads go on to NLJ250, but that could take a hit, especially with schools like IU-B, UC-Davis, Washington, W and L making gains right around/above UGA

Disclaimer: What the hell do I know, though? Also, I'd still be very happy to receive an acceptance to UGA, so.... sometime soon please 8)

Emory also took a dive this year (22 to 30), so UGA is actually closer in the rankings to Emory than previously. Make of that what you will.

athenian

Postby athenian » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:04 am

UGA's drop from 28 to 35 won't affect them at all. Georgia has always hovered in the mid 30's... they aren't really breaking new ground here.

As far as UGA's NLJ placement, I'm failry certain that nearly all of it occurs in the Atlanta market, a market that UGA has an increibly strong reputation in. Dropping a few spots in the rankings isn't going to change that reputation and it isn't gonig to change the fact that a large number of the partners and the people that make the hiring decisions at the major Atlanta firms have UGA connections.

I wouldn't lend much creedence to a one-year movement in the rankings. It's the sustained reputation (not the current ranking) of a school that sways hiring partners. Big jumps overnight aren't going to magically open up more firms at OCI and won't instantly make your school one with national reach. At the end of the day, whether ranked 28th or 35th, Georgia is what it always has been: a strong regional school with an excellent reputation in Atlanta and 0 prospects outside the South.

Plus, UGA doesn't compete with IU-B, Davis, Washington, and W&L. Maybe W&L to an extent, but you've got a far better chance of getting a job in Atlanta with a UGA diploma than with one from W&L. Similarly, UGA wouldn't stand a chance against these schools in Indianapolis, Sacramento, Seattle, and backwoods Virginia, respectively.

plt06

Postby plt06 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:53 am

Stonewall wrote:
cake wrote:

not that it makes a real difference but the wake$$$ v. Uga dilemma just got that much more difficult for me

Take a look at the Employed at Graduation Statistics.

UGA: 83.8% Employed AT Graduation
WFU: 66.1%

And UGA's class size is bigger. UGA's proximity to a major legal market is a huge plus. I like Wake but the important statistics (job placement, salary, cost) don't measure up to UGA, IMO.

millardtime

Postby millardtime » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:58 am

plt06 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
cake wrote:

And UGA's class size is bigger. UGA's proximity to a major legal market is a huge plus. I like Wake but the important statistics (job placement, salary, cost) don't measure up to UGA, IMO.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/school-of-law-03120

I'm seeing a 79.6% Employed at Graduation rate for WFU

buchy2009

Postby buchy2009 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:37 pm

Just got dinged SO hard (via status checker).

KatieKat

Postby KatieKat » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:25 pm

I've been in review for almost 3 weeks now... I know that's not long compared to a lot of people, but I'm a little impatient and UGA is one of my top choices (if not my first choice). I thought I might be able to get some scholarship money from them (median LSAT but GPA is wayy above 75th), but now I'm thinking that I may end up getting waitlisted, since I've been in review for so long and they seem to be trying to raise their LSAT median. :(

I never wrote a why UGA essay because they didn't ask for it, but now I'm wondering if I should have. If I do send them an LOCI/why UGA letter, how long should I wait to do so (assuming my status doesn't change)? I don't want to seem pushy or impatient by sending something too soon after I went under review.

plt06

Postby plt06 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:59 pm

[quote=not that it makes a real difference but the wake$$$ v. Uga dilemma just got that much more difficult for me[/quote]

And UGA's class size is bigger. UGA's proximity to a major legal market is a huge plus. I like Wake but the important statistics (job placement, salary, cost) don't measure up to UGA, IMO.[/quote]

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/school-of-law-03120

I'm seeing a 79.6% Employed at Graduation rate for WFU[/quote]

My bad. In my rush to enter the data into my personal rankings I entered the wrong school's data. The 66.1% figure is SMU.

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:32 pm

Why's UGA always on the 3rd page when I'm searching for the thread? And why does UGA only have 39 pages in the thread? lol

Oh well, still twiddling my thumbs waiting on a decision.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:57 pm

PrayingforHYS wrote:Why's UGA always on the 3rd page when I'm searching for the thread? And why does UGA only have 39 pages in the thread? lol

Oh well, still twiddling my thumbs waiting on a decision.

bump for front page

ga345

Postby ga345 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:07 pm

anyone know when they finished sending out decisions in year past? At least moving people out of UR?

this waiting is driving me CRAZY

gogamecocks

Postby gogamecocks » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:16 pm

leidice wrote:Held today. I feel like it's a little late for that.. hasn't their app deadline passed? who/what else are they waiting on? haha

Got held yesterday. I know I'm heading for the waitlist if not a flat-out reject. Which suuuuucks, because they are definately my #1

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:23 pm

I think theres less discussion because UGA is going slow with admissions. After ASW and deposit deadlines it should pick up....

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”