Georgia 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sandro

Gold

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Post by Sandro » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:22 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:I was quite underwhelmed on a recent visit - felt very collegiate.
This is a bad thing ? :shock:

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:23 pm

Sandro wrote:
NonTradHealthLaw wrote:I was quite underwhelmed on a recent visit - felt very collegiate.
Sandro where you end up going?

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:31 pm

Sandro wrote:
From my perspective, not what I'm looking for. Collegial, sure. Collegiate, not a fit for me. I had the undergrad experience. Other nontrads may not find it a place they would like for 3 years.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:40 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Sandro wrote:
Sandro where you end up going?
No idea yet - visiting IUb this weekend.

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:41 pm

Sandro wrote:
Hahaha this is exactly why I want to get in so badly! I love schools with the large, collegiate atmosphere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:47 pm

leidice wrote:
Sandro wrote:
Hahaha this is exactly why I want to get in so badly! I love schools with the large, collegiate atmosphere.
I asked one of my relatives who is a LRW prof at a 60s school what to look for in a school - first thing they said was "Want collegiate atmosphere" :!:

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:51 pm

Okay to be more specific - to me it felt utopic and a bit naive. Sure, tailgating would be fun...but like I said, I've had the undergrad experience. Wasn't the right fit for me and may not be the right fit for other old farts. Make sure you visit to make sure the vibe is appropriae for the atmosphere in which you would thrive.

buchy2009

Bronze

Post by buchy2009 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:14 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:Okay to be more specific - to me it felt utopic and a bit naive. Sure, tailgating would be fun...but like I said, I've had the undergrad experience. Wasn't the right fit for me and may not be the right fit for other old farts. Make sure you visit to make sure the vibe is appropriae for the atmosphere in which you would thrive.
This was my biggest gripe about Bloomington while doing my master's… the whole town revolving around the undergrad experience was distracting, a little isolating, and annoying… mostly in terms of being conducive to doing graduate work and having plenty of people in a similar place in life/age to build relationships with.

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:37 pm

buchy2009 wrote:
NonTradHealthLaw wrote:Okay to be more specific - to me it felt utopic and a bit naive. Sure, tailgating would be fun...but like I said, I've had the undergrad experience. Wasn't the right fit for me and may not be the right fit for other old farts. Make sure you visit to make sure the vibe is appropriae for the atmosphere in which you would thrive.
This was my biggest gripe about Bloomington while doing my master's… the whole town revolving around the undergrad experience was distracting, a little isolating, and annoying… mostly in terms of being conducive to doing graduate work and having plenty of people in a similar place in life/age to build relationships with.
Glad you kind of see where I'm coming from. Skol on the Norsk flag, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:14 am

I think having a collegiate atmosphere is definitely a plus for me socially but not sure academically.......

buchy2009

Bronze

Post by buchy2009 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:39 am

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:
buchy2009 wrote:
Takk! What's your connection to Norge?

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:46 am

hokie wrote:I think having a collegiate atmosphere is definitely a plus for me socially but not sure academically.......
I see it as a better networking opportunity. I went to a large state school in undergrad and was able to meet TONS of people, all with different connections. I know that in the future this is definitely going to benefit me in some way if I need it to. And that's thanks to just going out to bars, parties, socials, all kinds of events where there are strangers, or friends of friends, to meet and get to know. While they were casual social events, you really get to meet lots of people and get your name out there. In large collegiate atmospheres, there are so many more people available to get to meet, befriend, etc. At least for me, this is relatively easy, and I know I would thrive in a large place like that. While it can distract from studies if you don't manage time correctly, it also can help you meet people who know people who can help you find a job when you graduate.

buchy2009

Bronze

Post by buchy2009 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:59 am

leidice wrote:
hokie wrote:I think having a collegiate atmosphere is definitely a plus for me socially but not sure academically.......
I see it as a better networking opportunity. I went to a large state school in undergrad and was able to meet TONS of people, all with different connections. I know that in the future this is definitely going to benefit me in some way if I need it to. And that's thanks to just going out to bars, parties, socials, all kinds of events where there are strangers, or friends of friends, to meet and get to know. While they were casual social events, you really get to meet lots of people and get your name out there. In large collegiate atmospheres, there are so many more people available to get to meet, befriend, etc. At least for me, this is relatively easy, and I know I would thrive in a large place like that. While it can distract from studies if you don't manage time correctly, it also can help you meet people who know people who can help you find a job when you graduate.
I have to disagree. I went to a small liberal arts college in a big urban area (Nashville, TN). I found the networking opportunities there to be much more fruitful and diverse.I guess it comes down to what context you can be the most successful, but when you're in a city with 1,000,000+ vs. a college town with 50,000-115,000 and the city with 1,000,000 has a much more diverse economy and diverse demographics, I don't think you could claim that the college town has more opportunities to network.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:19 am

buchy2009 wrote:
leidice wrote:
I have to disagree. I went to a small liberal arts college in a big urban area (Nashville, TN). I found the networking opportunities there to be much more fruitful and diverse.I guess it comes down to what context you can be the most successful, but when you're in a city with 1,000,000+ vs. a college town with 50,000-115,000 and the city with 1,000,000 has a much more diverse economy and diverse demographics, I don't think you could claim that the college town has more opportunities to network.
I don't disagree with you there. I was more comparing a large collegiate atmosphere to an area or city with fewer students and less going on in general.

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:30 am

I think the whole debate of which atmosphere is better for networking in bars (small collegiate town vs. urban hub) is moot because:

1) there are too many external factors (i.e. personality, number of friends/acquaintances in the area, etc.)
2) whether there are 1,000,000 people or 10,000 people, the number of close friends you hang out with in bars will not change considerably, hence not really changing the number of "real" networking connections (this is a scientific fact :roll: )
3) Particularly for law school, grades/rank>>>>>>>any networking (other than very close networking such as through family members or close friends --- acquaintances met a few times from happy hour at Billy's doesn't count in my book)

I think it just comes down to personal preference and indeed whether you can manage the fun/work ratio. Although I do enjoy living in a city, I went to a large state school for undergrad (where tailgating was a religion) and I know that I will have to strictly manage my fun/work ratio in a college football town :wink:

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:52 am

buchy2009 wrote:
NonTradHealthLaw wrote:
Takk! What's your connection to Norge?
My last name means "home beneath the falls" in Nynorsk. Many meals of lutefisk, klub, rommegrot, lefse, Kringle, etc. growing up in a 2nd generation Telemark immigrant family.

HawksJetsFalcons

New

Post by HawksJetsFalcons » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:05 am

I went to college in the middle of Atlanta, so while I had excellent networking opportunities, I'm looking forward to settling down in a traditional college town.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ga345

New

Post by ga345 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:15 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:I was quite underwhelmed on a recent visit - felt very collegiate. Both Emory and GSU impressed me more. Will be saving UGA for a couple more weeks for scholly negotiation, but will be withdrawing soon. My dislike really surprised me...make sure you visit. I might just be too old for Athens.

are you OOS? Because that is what Athen's is known for. HUGE college town

++ the law school is located in the heart of their campus and so close to down town

If you are looking for a more city feel Emory and GSU better fit that. Most people who live in Athens (though not all) are students or some how associated with the school.

ga345

New

Post by ga345 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:19 pm

HawksJetsFalcons wrote:I went to college in the middle of Atlanta, so while I had excellent networking opportunities, I'm looking forward to settling down in a traditional college town.
+1

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:35 pm

ga345 wrote: are you OOS? Because that is what Athen's is known for. HUGE college town

++ the law school is located in the heart of their campus and so close to down town

If you are looking for a more city feel Emory and GSU better fit that. Most people who live in Athens (though not all) are students or some how associated with the school.
No, I've lived in Atlanta for 10 years. I realize Athens is known for the school, but that's part of what I didn't like. Driving through Athens was sad until approximately 5-6 blocks from campus. I also wasn't a fan of 80% of the >30 year olds I randomly stopped (sample size of 10, and ranging from skateboard dude to suit-wearing professional) stating that they'd been in Athens since they were 18 and never intend to leave because Athens has everything.

I fully realize that some people are attracted to UGA/Athens for exactly those reasons, but, like I said, it's not the right fit for me, and may not necessarily be the right fit for others. Make sure to visit, because, if you're like me, there is no way of knowing. I thought I'd love to be back in a "college town," but that wasn't the case. UGA is a great school with a phenomenal reputation in Atlanta and the Southeast, but if the environment isn't conducive to personal success, it doesn't matter how much you love a street with 100 bars and the smell of patchouli and hot dogs on the grill. I'll go visit on game day instead.

ga345

New

Post by ga345 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:38 pm

oh totally agree. there are definitely people there with some arrested development problems who never want to leave. it correct to say when people claim they have everything is completely naive.

I respect your opinion because after all to each his/her own!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:41 pm

ga345 wrote: there are definitely people there with some arrested development problems
Perfect summary phrase. I'll borrow that!

sch0123

Bronze

Post by sch0123 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:52 pm

I totally understand what you're saying - a close relative of mine attends UGA for undergrad and it is definitely a college town through and through. I graduated from undergrad last may and will recently have turned 23 when I matriculate in the fall, so it is definitely something I'm looking for in a law school. I could absolutely see why a prospective student who is a bit older and further removed from undergrad would want to avoid a place like Athens..

bmili

Bronze

Post by bmili » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:52 pm

Last edited by bmili on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ga345

New

Post by ga345 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:03 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:
ga345 wrote: there are definitely people there with some arrested development problems
Perfect summary phrase. I'll borrow that!
hahaha oh yeah I know exactly what you mean then!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”