Georgia 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pricer

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Pricer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:13 pm

Impatient wrote:Fuck UGA, treating their alum like garbage.

Just be glad you're dealing with UGA Law and not UGA Terry College of Business. I could not believe how much I was misled, and my advisors did not only deceive me, they straight lied to my face about several things. I will also say that UGA's pre-law advisor offered absolutely no help, and she even provided me with false information in some instances, as well. I did most of the researching and applying myself, and I am very grateful that I took that extra initiative. If I had relied on my Terry advisors or the pre-law advisor, I would be unemployed and about to pay sticker at a school like Mercer.

creader

Postby creader » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:05 pm

Pricer wrote:Just be glad you're dealing with UGA Law and not UGA Terry College of Business. I could not believe how much I was misled, and my advisors did not only deceive me, they straight lied to my face about several things. I will also say that UGA's pre-law advisor offered absolutely no help, and she even provided me with false information in some instances, as well. I did most of the researching and applying myself, and I am very grateful that I took that extra initiative. If I had relied on my Terry advisors or the pre-law advisor, I would be unemployed and about to pay sticker at a school like Mercer.

I couldn't agree more about the prelaw advisor. When I told her my LSAT score (good enough to get into UGA), and the fact that it was higher than I had ever PTed on, she told me I needed to take the test again, and wouldn't provide any information until I took the December LSAT. Needless to say, I never went back to her. Also the Honors department has lied to me as well during advisement.

Lullyn

Postby Lullyn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:36 pm

KJenae wrote:What does "held for further review" mean? The admission committee was reviewing my app forever but it changed to "held for..." today? I want to go here soooo bad. Does anyone know if I can infer anything from the change? Thanks =)

I got the same message today: "Your application has been reviewed and is being held for further review."
I have a great GPA 3.9, but a poor lsat score 154, in-state. If I don't get in, I'm not sure if I will go to another school that accepted me out of state or wait another year, gain experience, and try to raise my lsat scores for scholarship money.
Like everyone else, I just want to know as well!

adiaz43

Postby adiaz43 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:17 pm

Lullyn wrote:
KJenae wrote:What does "held for further review" mean? The admission committee was reviewing my app forever but it changed to "held for..." today? I want to go here soooo bad. Does anyone know if I can infer anything from the change? Thanks =)

I got the same message today: "Your application has been reviewed and is being held for further review."
I have a great GPA 3.9, but a poor lsat score 154, in-state. If I don't get in, I'm not sure if I will go to another school that accepted me out of state or wait another year, gain experience, and try to raise my lsat scores for scholarship money.
Like everyone else, I just want to know as well!

same here. 3.2/164/cuban...definitely going to submit a why georgia essay tomorrow. good luck to everyone.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:48 pm

creader wrote:
Pricer wrote:Just be glad you're dealing with UGA Law and not UGA Terry College of Business. I could not believe how much I was misled, and my advisors did not only deceive me, they straight lied to my face about several things. I will also say that UGA's pre-law advisor offered absolutely no help, and she even provided me with false information in some instances, as well. I did most of the researching and applying myself, and I am very grateful that I took that extra initiative. If I had relied on my Terry advisors or the pre-law advisor, I would be unemployed and about to pay sticker at a school like Mercer.

I couldn't agree more about the prelaw advisor. When I told her my LSAT score (good enough to get into UGA), and the fact that it was higher than I had ever PTed on, she told me I needed to take the test again, and wouldn't provide any information until I took the December LSAT. Needless to say, I never went back to her. Also the Honors department has lied to me as well during advisement.

I majored in finance, and I had three different advisors tell me how great of an idea it would be to go straight to the MBA program and how I would have no trouble getting in. They also told me people with my GPA were getting $50-60k per year jobs in Atlanta, and the MBA would raise that above $60k easy. Turns out, the only jobs people were getting with my GPA (3.7) were financial advisor (commission based sales) jobs, and Terry's MBA program accepts absolutely NO students straight out of undergrad. I can understand them lying about career prospects, but why they all lied about the facts of their MBA program, I will never understand.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:23 am

Barbie wrote:
leidice wrote:So I guess theyve started the 163 stack. By the news on this thread and LSN, I'm beginning to think they have no more love for us.

Yep. Looks like a round of dings went out last night, and I bet the rest of us might get to ride the waitlist.

say it ain't so barbie! I hope everyone still IR will fare better then the dreaded WL

jsimp

Postby jsimp » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:56 am

Still UR...

enida10

Postby enida10 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:58 am

jsimp wrote:Still UR...

Me too! I applied in November but took the LSAT again in December. Sure, my numbers aren't up to their standard, but it still would be nice to see some movement.

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:27 pm

jsimp wrote:Still UR...

+1. Been 10 weeks. Please don't WL me -- I like UGA a lot.

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:29 pm

edit: whoops
Last edited by PrayingforHYS on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:32 pm

^ double post. Nice.

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:41 pm

Stonewall wrote:^ double post. Nice.

looks like it's gonna be one of those days. probably not a good omen, lol

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:46 pm

PrayingforHYS wrote:
Stonewall wrote:^ double post. Nice.

looks like it's gonna be one of those days. probably not a good omen, lol

haha it's all good. Postive thoughts for sure

ccoons24

Postby ccoons24 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:44 pm

Has anyone tried to negotiate scholarships with UGA yet?

enida10

Postby enida10 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:27 am

<<< lazy. Did those lucky admits find out first via status checker or e-mail? I've been through the last four pages trying to get a read, but, meh, this is easier.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:46 pm

enida10 wrote:<<< lazy. Did those lucky admits find out first via status checker or e-mail? I've been through the last four pages trying to get a read, but, meh, this is easier.

Status checker first, then email the next day, then snailmail a week later.

binghamtonalum

Postby binghamtonalum » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:26 pm

submitted more than 2 weeks ago, should I have already received an e-mail acknowledging my application w/ status checker?

enida10

Postby enida10 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:33 pm

binghamtonalum wrote:submitted more than 2 weeks ago, should I have already received an e-mail acknowledging my application w/ status checker?

I sent my application in 11/11/10 and didn't get my status link until 12/2/10. So over two weeks sounds about right.

And thanks Pricer for the info!

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:44 pm

enida10 wrote:
binghamtonalum wrote:submitted more than 2 weeks ago, should I have already received an e-mail acknowledging my application w/ status checker?

I sent my application in 11/11/10 and didn't get my status link until 12/2/10. So over two weeks sounds about right.

And thanks Pricer for the info!

I created my own status checker account when I submitted my application, and it linked up fine. I did not get an email from UGA telling me how to create a status checker account until a week after I had been accepted.

And no problem.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:40 pm

A student just called me to see if I had any questions. I'm at work so I made an appointment to talk to someone another time. Kind of a nice helpful touch, esp. considering I hadn't really heard them since getting my acceptance.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:51 pm

uh so my application status says: "Your application is being reviewed by the Admissions Committee."

but i just got an email saying "congratulations on your acceptance, check out the admitted students website"

weird. anyone know when/how scholarship info gets sent out?

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:58 pm

fatduck wrote:uh so my application status says: "Your application is being reviewed by the Admissions Committee."

but i just got an email saying "congratulations on your acceptance, check out the admitted students website"

Some people, especially OOS applicants, have been getting it with their acceptance letters in the mail. I got my acceptance letter three weeks ago, however, and just got my scholarship info today.

By the way, got $10k a year with a 2.7 stipulation. Anyone know the mean for UGA's curve?

edit: This says 2.9 curve, but not sure if I trust it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la ... GPA_curves

eandy

Postby eandy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:27 pm

Pricer wrote:
fatduck wrote:uh so my application status says: "Your application is being reviewed by the Admissions Committee."

Some people, especially OOS applicants, have been getting it with their acceptance letters in the mail. I got my acceptance letter three weeks ago, however, and just got my scholarship info today.

By the way, got $10k a year with a 2.7 stipulation. Anyone know the mean for UGA's curve?

I had one class with an unusually low curve that was like 2.8, but I don't think the professors can go lower than that in 1L classes. Plus, I think it would be pretty hard to get B- and below in everything.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:22 pm

eandy wrote:
Pricer wrote:

I had one class with an unusually low curve that was like 2.8, but I don't think the professors can go lower than that in 1L classes. Plus, I think it would be pretty hard to get B- and below in everything.

Well, then this offer seems pretty dang good.

Mr_Brightside

Postby Mr_Brightside » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:48 pm

Still in review, complete since 12/10. Numbers do not bode well (lsat<25%, gpa>50%), but I had a fee waiver and I tried to make my app as interesting as possible. I'm going with no news is good news... yeah

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”