Georgia 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
plt06

New

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Post by plt06 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:08 pm

Sandro wrote:
Barbie wrote:If nobody has told Sandro to go to the Varsity yet, yall are all SERIOUSLY doing it wrong ;)
.... the same Varsity thats in Atlanta ? I've lived in ATL for the past year + and havent gone once lol.
You have to go at least once. Be sure to take some antacids/pepto with you when you go, haha. But seriously, just eat there once. Then you'll understand-"What'll ya have, what'll ya have?"

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:19 pm

plt06 wrote:
Sandro wrote:
Barbie wrote:If nobody has told Sandro to go to the Varsity yet, yall are all SERIOUSLY doing it wrong ;)
.... the same Varsity thats in Atlanta ? I've lived in ATL for the past year + and havent gone once lol.
You have to go at least once. Be sure to take some antacids/pepto with you when you go, haha. But seriously, just eat there once. Then you'll understand-"What'll ya have, what'll ya have?"
Georgia Tech has one (the one I was raised on, daddy GT alum) and UGA has one. They are both FANTASTIC IMO. You will gain 5 lbs though. The paper hat is worth it.

creader

New

Post by creader » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:12 pm

For VDay check out Last Resort. It will be packed and have hour plus wait times but it is the best restaurant in Athens, hands down.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:15 pm

alright UGA a late friday acceptance would be perfect for a weekend full of celebration and win

buchy2009

Bronze

Post by buchy2009 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Stonewall wrote:alright UGA a late friday acceptance would be perfect for a weekend full of celebration and win
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ccoons24

New

Post by ccoons24 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:21 pm

For those of you who received scholarships in a separate letter from the admit letter- was anything mentioned about tuition/fees in your acceptance letter?

rockyIV

New

Post by rockyIV » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:59 pm

little italy pizzeria has some good food in Athens

zeke18

Bronze

Post by zeke18 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:04 pm

ccoons24 wrote:For those of you who received scholarships in a separate letter from the admit letter- was anything mentioned about tuition/fees in your acceptance letter?
Yes, I was also concerned about that but I think mentioning tuition/fees is a standard part of the acceptance letter, regardless of scholarships.

jsimp

New

Post by jsimp » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:12 pm

Sandro wrote:Oohh also, forgot to ask - what would be a good place to take the GF on Monday (Vday) in Athens ?
DePalmas http://www.depalmasitaliancafe.com/ and The Last Resort http://www.lastresortgrill.com/

Best food in Athens. Try to make reservations now, otherwise your in for a long wait. The wait on a normal Friday or Saturday night is about an hour, I'm sure the wait will be longer on VDay.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

millardtime

New

Post by millardtime » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:21 pm

I hate to tell you, but you're all wrong. If you're in Athens for Valentine's, the best date starts with a movie at Cine (athenscine.com) and ends with dinner at The National (thenationalrestaurant.com)

You can thank me later, Sandro

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:18 pm

millardtime wrote:I hate to tell you, but you're all wrong. If you're in Athens for Valentine's, the best date starts with a movie at Cine (athenscine.com) and ends with dinner at The National (thenationalrestaurant.com)

You can thank me later, Sandro
Is that place even open on a Monday night for dinner ?? And the movie theater shows 3 movies, one we've seen, the other is a movie about cheating (lol) and the other "Another wonderful offering from the master of tragi-comedy" :shock:

nsideirish

Bronze

Post by nsideirish » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:23 pm

In with a 165/3.6. I would really like to visit the school and Athens but money is a bit tight right now. Anyone know if they provide any kind of stipend?

the11111111

New

Post by the11111111 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:28 pm

Last Resort might just be one of the best restaurants in the state let alone Athens... check out Farm 255, its a place not too many people know about but they have live music and pretty good organic, local grown, food.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

novab

New

Post by novab » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Just got my packet in the mail today :)

Tuition equalizer for the first year (will need to try for residency for 2L and 3L)
$5k scholarship per year for all three years

So excited that tuition is less than $11k per year!

Question - I read the webpage on UGA Law's website regarding residency. It does not seem too hard to become a resident (especially since I am a few years out of college, will move before school starts, get my car registered and licensed right away and register to vote in GA) but is that the reality? or do the completely screw you over?

athenian

Bronze

Post by athenian » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:02 pm

jsimp wrote:
Sandro wrote:Oohh also, forgot to ask - what would be a good place to take the GF on Monday (Vday) in Athens ?
DePalmas http://www.depalmasitaliancafe.com/ and The Last Resort http://www.lastresortgrill.com/

Best food in Athens. Try to make reservations now, otherwise your in for a long wait. The wait on a normal Friday or Saturday night is about an hour, I'm sure the wait will be longer on VDay.

If you're going to either of these restaurants, you're doing it wrong.

Sandro, if you want finer food, go to The National or Five & Ten (both are run by Hugh Acheson, a guy with multiple James Beard award nominations and one of the best chefs in the South). I'm a huge fan of Farm 255, great food and a really awesome bar that is removed from the rowdy undergrad scene.

Also, the Athens Varsity stinks. It's the same food as the one in Atlanta without the historic building and atmosphere... (translation: it stinks).

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:10 pm

athenian wrote: If you're going to either of these restaurants, you're doing it wrong.

Sandro, if you want finer food, go to The National or Five & Ten (both are run by Hugh Acheson, a guy with multiple James Beard award nominations and one of the best chefs in the South). I'm a huge fan of Farm 255, great food and a really awesome bar that is removed from the rowdy undergrad scene.

Also, the Athens Varsity stinks. It's the same food as the one in Atlanta without the historic building and atmosphere... (translation: it stinks).
+1000000
The National and Five & Ten are both win. Farm 255 is really good, too.

At the Varsity, get onion rings and chili dogs. Those are the two foods they don't screw up.

Seeing bars mentioned makes me feel like I should give suggestions. Not really Valentines Day material, but for general consumption:

For bars, there are usually a lot of law students at Magnolia's, so anyone visiting the law school should go there. Visit the law school, visit the law school bar. Other fun bars:
General Beauregard's (Get the Dixie Tea!)
Sandbar (super bro, fun frozen drinks for the ladies)
9ds (Don't go on Wednesday--it's 18 and up night and miserable)
8es (I personally prefer it to 9ds, but to each his own)
Boars Head (Lots of games, free popcorn)
Capital Room (really classy place, makes good & cheap drinks esp. if you get there from 10-11 when there are dollar wells Th, F, Sat)

A lot of other law students like the Globe(Esquire magazine calls it one of the best bars in America), Trappeze, Highwire, etc. If you want to go creep on underage girls, there is always Bourbon Street.

The Terrapin brewery thing is here, too, if beer tasting is your thing.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:06 pm

Porterhouse. Be prepared to shuck out some cash, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

agora139

Bronze

Post by agora139 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:53 pm

just withdrew my app-- good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:40 pm

agora139 wrote:just withdrew my app-- good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!
appreciate it

nsideirish

Bronze

Post by nsideirish » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:49 pm

So, uh, anyone know if they do any kind of travel stipends??

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:50 am

nsideirish wrote:So, uh, anyone know if they do any kind of travel stipends??
Last year they offered one to a friend who would have had to come from California, but I don't know how much.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:55 pm

I got the Georgia decal in my envelope with the acceptance letter. Does this mean no scholarship?

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:49 pm

bartleby wrote:I got the Georgia decal in my envelope with the acceptance letter. Does this mean no scholarship?
Got the same, don't think it means no scholarship.

novab

New

Post by novab » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:23 pm

Pricer wrote:
bartleby wrote:I got the Georgia decal in my envelope with the acceptance letter. Does this mean no scholarship?
The scholarship letter was included in my admit packet (I just received it on Friday)....are others getting their scholarship letters outside of their admit packets?

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:44 pm

novab wrote:
Pricer wrote:
The scholarship letter was included in my admit packet (I just received it on Friday)....are others getting their scholarship letters outside of their admit packets?

Noooooooooooooooo

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”