Georgia 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Barbie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:17 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:Just reject me already.

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby eandy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:22 pm

The big wave of acceptances hadn't come yet this time last year, from what I recall. Don't worry yet!

User avatar
leidice
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby leidice » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:52 pm

eandy wrote:The big wave of acceptances hadn't come yet this time last year, from what I recall. Don't worry yet!


Aahh thanks for giving us hope! Though it hurts a little every time someone who submitted after me has already been accepted... AND with $$. Each day that goes by where my status says I'm still UR makes me feel a little less confident about my chances!

User avatar
Bill Cosby
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Bill Cosby » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:44 am

leidice wrote:
eandy wrote:The big wave of acceptances hadn't come yet this time last year, from what I recall. Don't worry yet!


Aahh thanks for giving us hope! Though it hurts a little every time someone who submitted after me has already been accepted... AND with $$. Each day that goes by where my status says I'm still UR makes me feel a little less confident about my chances!


Seriously. I've been UR since the first week of December.

bloobook
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:23 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby bloobook » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:04 am

.
Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bill Cosby
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Bill Cosby » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:15 am

bloobook wrote:I applied a couple of weeks ago, but only because UG is ranked higher than most of the other schools I applied to in November. If I'm accepted, I don't know if I can handle three years of Georgia weather (I'm from a four-seasoned desert state in the West). Is anyone here from Georgia? Can you tell me what to expect in terms of weather year-round? Absolute misery?


Hot, very dry summers (though probably not as hot as the desert). Relatively warm, rainy winters.

Kainmacbeth
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Kainmacbeth » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:31 am

Bill Cosby wrote:
bloobook wrote:I applied a couple of weeks ago, but only because UG is ranked higher than most of the other schools I applied to in November. If I'm accepted, I don't know if I can handle three years of Georgia weather (I'm from a four-seasoned desert state in the West). Is anyone here from Georgia? Can you tell me what to expect in terms of weather year-round? Absolute misery?


Hot, very dry summers (though probably not as hot as the desert). Relatively warm, rainy winters.



Georgia has hot summers, but the humidity in late spring and in summer makes it different from a hot southwestern day. We don't get the snow or prolonged winter season, and the 6-8 inches we got during "Snow-pocalypse" a few weeks ago is a rare occasion.

apl6783
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:41 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby apl6783 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:37 am

In last week with a scholarship that changes my tiution from out of state to in-state.

It was just two pieces of paper in an 8.5 by 11 envelope.

jsimp
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:53 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby jsimp » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:10 pm

I applied mid-Jan. but my application status online still says incomplete. I email the school and they replied :

It is not that your application is incomplete, just that we have not finished entering your application into our system. Once we have entered it, if there is anything missing you will receive an email letting you know what it is you need to get to us.


I really didn't except UGA to take this long to review my application. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm currently in undergrad at UGA and am tempted to just walk to the law school and demand that they review my application, this is taking entirely to long, the wait is killing me.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:18 pm

jsimp wrote:I applied mid-Jan. but my application status online still says incomplete. I email the school and they replied :

It is not that your application is incomplete, just that we have not finished entering your application into our system. Once we have entered it, if there is anything missing you will receive an email letting you know what it is you need to get to us.


I really didn't except UGA to take this long to review my application. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm currently in undergrad at UGA and am tempted to just walk to the law school and demand that they review my application, this is taking entirely to long, the wait is killing me.



People have been waiting since November to hear a decision. You have a long wait ahead of you.

User avatar
KJenae
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby KJenae » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:25 pm

I am in the same situation. I applied around Jan 11th or so and it was incomplete about the time everyone got accepted - or rejected (about a week ago). Now it says the committee is reviewing my application.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Barbie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:37 pm

I'm pretty sure I applied the first day the application was available. Vwomp, vwomp, vwomp.

User avatar
Stonewall
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Stonewall » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:41 pm

come on UGA, show some OOS love

User avatar
rockyIV
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby rockyIV » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:46 pm

My theory is they are accepting all the people they want to offer scholly's first, wait a few weeks and see who withdraws, then going to send out all the "normal" acceptances (no schollys). Just seems like they are accepting people waaaay above their numbers as of right now, haven't accepted more than two people under their twenty fifth percentile yet.

Keep holding out hope people, grew up in Alpharetta and looking to stay near A-town I think.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Barbie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:06 pm

rockyIV wrote:My theory is they are accepting all the people they want to offer scholly's first, wait a few weeks and see who withdraws, then going to send out all the "normal" acceptances (no schollys). Just seems like they are accepting people waaaay above their numbers as of right now, haven't accepted more than two people under their twenty fifth percentile yet.

Keep holding out hope people, grew up in Alpharetta and looking to stay near A-town I think.


There are so many of us Alphys on here! <3

Impatient
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Impatient » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:25 pm

Barbie wrote:
rockyIV wrote:My theory is they are accepting all the people they want to offer scholly's first, wait a few weeks and see who withdraws, then going to send out all the "normal" acceptances (no schollys). Just seems like they are accepting people waaaay above their numbers as of right now, haven't accepted more than two people under their twenty fifth percentile yet.

Keep holding out hope people, grew up in Alpharetta and looking to stay near A-town I think.


There are so many of us Alphys on here! <3


Marietta where its betta!

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Pricer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:48 pm

I see some people have gotten scholarship offers...are any of you in state? It looks like it is only OOS students getting offers so far. I hope that is the case. If UGA offered my no money (no offer in my packet), I will be pissed.

The weather in Georgia is nice if you don't mind the heat. I see some have already summarized it, but as a 23-year resident of Georgia, I'll chime in, too.

Summers are hot and humid. You will sweat a lot if you are outside. August days get over 100 degrees and can be incredibly muggy. Mosquitoes are also terrible, but I have noticed that Athens, Atlanta, and other places in the northern parts of Georgia seem to lack this problem, which is a huge plus. Where I am from, the mosquitoes are relentless.

Falls are relatively warm and dry, but it starts to get cooler toward the end of football season. You usually won't need to pull out a jacket before the end of October, and even the late fall and winter are littered with warm days of 60 degrees or higher.

Winter is incredibly cold, but only to Georgia residents. It can also be rainy at times, but this comes in spells. I hate cold weather and snow, so you can imagine how much I enjoy the winter season being so short around here. It gets pretty cold outside some days, but I still usually go out without a jacket and occasionally in flip-flops. As long as I am inside the bars, I can stand the walk to another bar/taxi/car without a coat or closed toed shoes.

Spring is pretty erratic. It may be 75 degrees and rainy one week, then 40 degrees and dry the next week. You really don't know what to expect until half-way into April, where the temperatures start to stay consistently higher. By the end of May, it is over 90 degrees every day again.

Georgia is the perfect place to hide if you hate those excruciatingly cold winters in New England, but if you can't handle the heat and humidity, you should think twice about moving here.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Pricer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:59 pm

On another note, did anyone just get an invite to the King & Spalding Reception via email? I'm pretty sure I am going, regardless if I have decided not to go to UGA.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Sandro » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:01 pm

yup. I'm def going as I'm not sure I will be able to make it to UGA's ASW.

User avatar
pinkzeppelin
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby pinkzeppelin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Pricer wrote:I see some people have gotten scholarship offers...are any of you in state? It looks like it is only OOS students getting offers so far. I hope that is the case. If UGA offered my no money (no offer in my packet), I will be pissed.


I'm in state, but I got my scholarship offer separately from my acceptance. (about 3 weeks later). I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about scholarship offers, I'm sure you're still in the running.

NonTradHealthLaw
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:10 pm

Ditto to pinkzeppelin, in state and got my scholly offer (single sheet of paper in business envelope, if I recall) about 2-3 weeks after the acceptance packet.

Plan to attend the K&S gathering. In dire need for new shoes. Business attire sounds like a good excuse to go shopping.

User avatar
fiery_searcher
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby fiery_searcher » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Pricer wrote:On another note, did anyone just get an invite to the King & Spalding Reception via email? I'm pretty sure I am going, regardless if I have decided not to go to UGA.


Yes, just got it. Unfortunately, can't take any more time off from work. :(

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Pricer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:33 pm

Oh, thanks for the info about the scholarship info. I'll be on the lookout for another letter.

I'm looking forward to the K&S thing. If it looks like I stand a legitimate shot at a job somewhere like that at graduation, I'll probably be living in Athens for three more years.

User avatar
rockyIV
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby rockyIV » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:03 pm

Impatient wrote:
Barbie wrote:
rockyIV wrote:My theory is they are accepting all the people they want to offer scholly's first, wait a few weeks and see who withdraws, then going to send out all the "normal" acceptances (no schollys). Just seems like they are accepting people waaaay above their numbers as of right now, haven't accepted more than two people under their twenty fifth percentile yet.

Keep holding out hope people, grew up in Alpharetta and looking to stay near A-town I think.


There are so many of us Alphys on here! <3


Marietta where its betta!


decatur is greaturr, marta is smarta

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby eandy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:22 pm

Sandro wrote:yup. I'm def going as I'm not sure I will be able to make it to UGA's ASW.

This post isn't specifically directed at you, but your post reminded me of this point(that I wish I had known as a 0L).

Nothing earth-shattering happens at ASD. Unless something has changed, the only thing that they have at ASD that they don't have on a normal day you'd come visit is an overcrowded reception with yuengling and yellow tail with your fellow classmates and a moot court demonstration. You might be able to meet roommates there, but maybe not. The school will put out a list later in the spring of people with housing and people looking for housing, so finding roommates that way (or on facebook) can be just as easy.
If you can only visit once, I'd actually come on a school day if possible. You get more individual attention(a lot of times a dean will take you on a tour along with a student), you can sit in on a real 1L class, you can see what the law school is really like when in session, etc. If you come on a Friday and want to go out, you could probably even get some students in the library to let you roll with them for the night. Everyone is really friendly. I know if someone asked me for an Athens nightlife sampler, I'd be game :D

tl;dr : ASD is not the end all be all. Unlike a lot of schools, it really is only one day and doesn't offer much that you wouldn't get on an ordinary visit.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests