Georgia 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eandy

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby eandy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:14 pm

creader wrote:I can second the hand over the bar railing, saw my english 1101 prof get arrested for that one my freshman year.

Also, the bike cops on North Campus are always a pain if you are walking back to Rivermill (granted most people who walk through North Campus are freshmen returning to the dorms) but for most who are over 21 and not an idiot and know when to stay away (ie the first weekend the freshmen come into town) you are going to be ok.

I forgot about that. You also must deal with the same bike cops if it is 1:45AM on a thursday night and you are drunkenly trying to retrieve the backpack you left in the law library.
Words of caution, 0Ls.

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:15 pm

eandy wrote:
creader wrote:I can second the hand over the bar railing, saw my english 1101 prof get arrested for that one my freshman year.

Also, the bike cops on North Campus are always a pain if you are walking back to Rivermill (granted most people who walk through North Campus are freshmen returning to the dorms) but for most who are over 21 and not an idiot and know when to stay away (ie the first weekend the freshmen come into town) you are going to be ok.

I forgot about that. You also must deal with the same bike cops if it is 1:45AM on a thursday night and you are drunkenly trying to retrieve the backpack you left in the law library.
Words of caution, 0Ls.

damn that sucks.... :shock:

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:21 pm

maybe its more of a GA thing. Outside of maybe say Atlanta or other biggerish cities where they have actual crime to worry about, seems like each local jurisdiction is more concerned with bumping their revenue via insane speeding fines or catching people J walking...

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Sandro wrote:maybe its more of a GA thing. Outside of maybe say Atlanta or other biggerish cities where they have actual crime to worry about, seems like each local jurisdiction is more concerned with bumping their revenue via insane speeding fines or catching people J walking...

Athens has PLENTY of real crime to worry about. They just prefer to harass students.

Autoaccept

Postby Autoaccept » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:27 pm

Yeah. If you're 21 and not being an idiot, you probably won't get in trouble (there are exceptions). They're unique, in my opinion, because of how aggressively they patrol underage drinking. I know that it's illegal to drink under the age of 21, and I can't blame police for enforcing the laws. But it's so often that you'll read or hear about underage students getting arrested for MIP while helping a sick friend or simply walking back to their residence only to have a police officer pop out of a bush and ask for ID (in other words, not causing a scene or hurting anyone). Also, students who get sick drinking downtown are definitely treated as prisoners first and patients second.

I have friends at numerous other large state schools to whom it's unheard of ever to be arrested and sent to jail for underage drinking when they aren't making a scene. They're just brutal. They can give you a ticket, but they won't. But I can understand that the law exists for a reason and maybe the police think they're accomplishing something other than overloading ACC Jail. Not sure.

It also probably has a lot to do with the bar-oriented nightlife. The first night you go out as an undergrad in Athens, you'll probably go to a bar. And downtown isn't a big place, so maybe it's just a combination of a strict police force and it being so easy to pick off underage drinkers in that environment.

If you're over 21, I wouldn't worry about it at all. The police do seem to act, usually, like they were picked on a bunch in high school and probably never made it to college, though, so episodes like getting verbally harassed for jay-walking aren't so rare.

creader

Postby creader » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:41 pm

A lot of it has to deal with trying to shed the reputation of being the number one party school in the nation. The really aggressive policing didn't start until after Lewis Fish passed away in Russell about five years ago. Before that, an MIP was usually just a citation baring other circumstances.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:49 pm

I posted this in the CO2014 thread, is anyone going to the UGA reception March 3rd in Atlanta ? I'm not sure i'm going to make it to ASW on the 26th because I kinda want to give IU a visit.

creader

Postby creader » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:13 pm

I will definitely be going. It seems kind of arrogant to be doing a reception at the biggest firm in Atlanta, but it is a firm I would love to work for in the future so I'm going to go network away and hope for the best.

pattonthicke

Postby pattonthicke » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:41 pm

did you send it via email?? Should I do one now or wait a bit. I was just placed on hold so I dont really have anything to update my app with.

[quote="eandy"]Stonewall wrote:
has anyone else currently under review considered writing a LOCI yet? or have already done so

Yes, but only because I am on hold.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:50 pm

I have partied in several of the college towns/cities, and the police in Athens are significantly worst than any others I encountered. Hell, in Baton Rouge and New Orleans, the cops were nothing but helpful when I approached them drunk. In Athens, my friends and I have been harassed numerous times. If you or a friend is seen jaywalking (walking across the designated space in the road without cars coming, the walking man is just not lit up), your entire group will be stopped, questioned, every ID will be checked and probably called in to see if it is fake, and after you all pass every test he can think of, he will write the jaywalker a jaywalking ticket and everyone public intoxication tickets.

There is little real crime in Athens, so the police choose to completely ignore it and set up multiple cops to monitor every street/intersection. Their over-aggressive nature has been the subject of much criticism from the student news paper, especially when a rape or murder is reported with no suspects and no idea what happened because the jail was full of 20 year old sorority girls they picked up after the entire force was called in to raid a bar after a social.

Also, Athens is one of the few towns where the campus security is deputized and essentially are regular police officers. These guys are an even bigger pain in the ass than the local police. If you are walking through campus after midnight on Thursday-Saturday, you can expect to be stopped and interrogated. They will pull your car over on campus for any BS reason they can come up with. They love to write tickets for not wearing a seatbelt and failure to yield to a pedestrian. During the day, there is a good bit of foot and vehicular traffic on the campus.

This is a true story from last year. My roommate was turning right at an intersection. He had a green light and no walking signal was lit up in any of the four corners. A girl began crossing the road as he turned, but when she saw him, she immediately backed up. A cop gave him a failure to yield ticket then gave her a jaywalking ticket. Another fun story: I received a no seatbelt ticket when I began backing up from my spot IN the parking lot of the restaurant I had just eaten at. I was not even on the road when the cop, who was of course hiding, turned on his lights.

There is a lot of animosity here between the students and police. There is no respect going either direction, but their blatant abuse of their badges combined with a >30,000 student body brings in a lot of money for the city. This leads to nothing being done to fix the problem. The police are in on it, the judges are in on it, and the local lawyers are in on it. That sentiment comes from me, as a resident of Athens and graduate of UGA, but I have also heard that spoken by many students, professors, campus officials, and an actual lawyer himself.

This is not an exaggeration, but neither is it written with intent to scare away or deter. Athens is a wonderful city and UGA is an amazing school. The power-tripping cops are one of the very few negatives and not something you will encounter every day.

henry flower

Postby henry flower » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:08 pm

Finally complete! How long has the wait been generally from the complete date?

zdayar

Postby zdayar » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:13 pm

henry flower wrote:Finally complete! How long has the wait been generally from the complete date?

I think depends on your numbers and in-state vs. OOS.

I am OOS and have been complete/in review since mid-Nov.
Last edited by zdayar on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

henry flower

Postby henry flower » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:15 pm

I'm quite a splitter.
Last edited by henry flower on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

zdayar

Postby zdayar » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:17 pm

I bet you'll hear soon. Good luck!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:48 am

I don't have my acceptance material with me, does anyone know if it mentioned some sort of deadline for hearing about scholarships from UGA ? I'm in state and even a small scholarship could make UGA a no brainer compared to another peer/higher* ranked school's massive scholarship offer but I dont want to negotiate before if scholarships might be coming in the next week or two...

ccoons24

Postby ccoons24 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:00 pm

IN! And happy that my coworkers knew that I was anxiously awaiting the news, so they didn't look at me like I'm a freak when I yelped with joy in my office.

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:12 pm

Last edited by jwaters on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:13 pm

jwaters wrote:In as of yesterday. Sent my app in 1/13. Got the tuition equalization scholarship for the first year. 168/3.5

How did you find out about the scholly?

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:37 pm

It was included in the packet.....acceptance letter, scholarship letter, and Georgia Law decal.

KJenae

Postby KJenae » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:06 pm

jwaters wrote:It was included in the packet.....acceptance letter, scholarship letter, and Georgia Law decal.

Did your status checker update too? Did you stalk your Status Checker (like me) or did you just patiently wait and happen to receive your packet?

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:15 pm

I just got the email for my status checker last Friday, and it didnt work so I never bothered checking it again. I was very surprised to get my decision back so quickly, because I just sent my app in a few weeks ago.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:17 pm

I also heard quickly and am oos. I went complete last Friday and was accepted via status checker on Monday. I'm wondering how long before I'll get the packet in the mail.

KJenae

Postby KJenae » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:54 pm

Sigh, okay...I guess I will just continue to stalk their website for any hint of a change. I applied a couple weeks ago so maybe I should just chill out.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:08 pm

I am in state, but here are my dates:

Submitted 1/7
Went Complete via Status Checker 1/20
Accepted via Status Checker 1/25
Packet Postage Date 1/26

I don't know what date it actually came in, but I am pretty sure I checked the mail on Sunday, 1/30, and it had arrived. I live in Athens, so it was probably delivered on 1/27.

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Just reject me already.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”