Georgia 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
radio-edit
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby radio-edit » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:57 pm

Tuition Equalization - which is very nice, but not nice enough to make UGA a better choice for me than UT, so I'm withdrawing. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

User avatar
abb586
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:04 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby abb586 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:52 pm

I went complete in December but they just updated my status checker to say in review on 1/25. Today I woke up to a lovely "held for further review" status. Boo. Hopefully they're serious about reviewing those of us who were held quickly and aren't just saying that to make us freak out less.

User avatar
rockyIV
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby rockyIV » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:19 pm

has anyone been actually rejected yet?? Sorry if I missed it on previous pages

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby eandy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:54 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:
creader wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:Just got my letter and it's "tuition reduction" scholarship- so in-state tuition for spring semester only. Seems kinda good but I can't really see it over $24,000 a year at Alabama...



The 24k at Alabama is a better deal financially for me if I could keep it. I'm worried they would section stack and then I would be out of around 60k. Plus I go to undergrad at UGA and am settled in here. So most likely here is where I'll stay.


FWIW I had a chat with a professor at ASW who assured me that they do not section stack. But yeah that scares me a little too.

There is a certain section at UGA that seems stacked, and apparently, it has been the same section for a few years.

creader
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:18 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby creader » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:47 pm

eandy wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:
creader wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:Just got my letter and it's "tuition reduction" scholarship- so in-state tuition for spring semester only. Seems kinda good but I can't really see it over $24,000 a year at Alabama...



The 24k at Alabama is a better deal financially for me if I could keep it. I'm worried they would section stack and then I would be out of around 60k. Plus I go to undergrad at UGA and am settled in here. So most likely here is where I'll stay.


FWIW I had a chat with a professor at ASW who assured me that they do not section stack. But yeah that scares me a little too.

There is a certain section at UGA that seems stacked, and apparently, it has been the same section for a few years.


Could you elaborate on this? What makes you think this? How big of a difference do you think it makes, and is it much more competitive?

User avatar
Stonewall
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Stonewall » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:53 pm

I'm still fairly new here, but what does it mean to section stack?

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13289
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby JenDarby » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:12 pm

Stonewall wrote:I'm still fairly new here, but what does it mean to section stack?

for instance putting all the students with scholarships (often with GPA and class % stipulations) in the same section. Taking into consideration grading on a curve, if graded by section, this essentially guarantees some people will lose their scholarships, since everyone can't be above X GPA or in the top Y%.

User avatar
Stonewall
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Stonewall » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:24 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Stonewall wrote:I'm still fairly new here, but what does it mean to section stack?

for instance putting all the students with scholarships (often with GPA and class % stipulations) in the same section. Taking into consideration grading on a curve, if graded by section, this essentially guarantees some people will lose their scholarships, since everyone can't be above X GPA or in the top Y%.


ahh ok I had a feeling it was something along those lines. Thanks for the help

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Sandro » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:38 pm

I thought it was when they put all the muscular bros into one section, in effect making that section "stacked" with bros.

Right?

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby JJDancer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:40 am

radio-edit wrote:Tuition Equalization - which is very nice, but not nice enough to make UGA a better choice for me than UT, so I'm withdrawing. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

+1
*Is there a special process to withdraw or do I just send an email or something?

User avatar
pattonthicke
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:09 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby pattonthicke » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:17 am

Does anybody know the process by which UGA accepts LOCI's? Should I just email them or what. Didnt see anything on their website or in the forums.

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby iShotFirst » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:10 pm

eandy wrote:There is a certain section at UGA that seems stacked, and apparently, it has been the same section for a few years.


:shock: which section?

radio-edit
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby radio-edit » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:46 pm

JJDancer wrote:
radio-edit wrote:Tuition Equalization - which is very nice, but not nice enough to make UGA a better choice for me than UT, so I'm withdrawing. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

+1
*Is there a special process to withdraw or do I just send an email or something?


I just sent an email. If they respond telling me I should have done it another way, though, I can come back to this thread and let you know.

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby SrLaw » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:46 pm

is anyone here considering Emory as well?

User avatar
Stonewall
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Stonewall » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:16 pm

SrLaw wrote:is anyone here considering Emory as well?


Absolutely. I don't know how good they are with schollys and if it was head to head with UGA I might take UGA -- but I am for sure considering them

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby eandy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:25 pm

creader wrote:
eandy wrote:There is a certain section at UGA that seems stacked, and apparently, it has been the same section for a few years.


Could you elaborate on this? What makes you think this? How big of a difference do you think it makes, and is it much more competitive?

Honestly, I don't think it makes that much of a difference. It's not something I would worry about/do worry about at all. If you end up going to UGA, you will see that the so-called "random" sections are not that random. It's like there is a UGA Law sorting hat and people within sections are very similar. One section in particular is the "gunner section", and it seems to have a disproportionate number of scholarship students. It's a theory, and I may be wrong, but it is not an uncommon one.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:37 pm

Stonewall wrote:
SrLaw wrote:is anyone here considering Emory as well?


Absolutely. I don't know how good they are with schollys and if it was head to head with UGA I might take UGA -- but I am for sure considering them


More than a handful of my family members went to Emory. Also, my lawyer-family members in Atlanta rant and rave about Emory. <3

User avatar
leidice
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby leidice » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:59 am

So I read that UGA said an addendum isn't necessary for multiple LSAT scores, that they evaluate your application based on the highest one. Can anyone with a wide range of scores who didn't send in an addendum attest to this policy holding true? I don't want to draw attention to my lower scores, so I wasn't planning on sending an addendum in unless they asked. But after being UR for a week, I'm getting kind of antsy. FWIW my highest LSAT is 163, GPA is >75% (OOS). Thought I'd be a quick-ish admit, but wondering if I should email them..

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Barbie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:04 am

leidice wrote:So I read that UGA said an addendum isn't necessary for multiple LSAT scores, that they evaluate your application based on the highest one. Can anyone with a wide range of scores who didn't send in an addendum attest to this policy holding true? I don't want to draw attention to my lower scores, so I wasn't planning on sending an addendum in unless they asked. But after being UR for a week, I'm getting kind of antsy. FWIW my highest LSAT is 163, GPA is >75% (OOS). Thought I'd be a quick-ish admit, but wondering if I should email them..


It probably isn't why you haven't gotten in yet. It seems UGA is trying to raise their LSAT median, so 163, regardless of GPA, might not cut it this year. Being OOS is working against you as well. Most people who are getting in have 166+, from what I can tell. (This is coming from a fellow 163)

User avatar
Peanutjelly
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Peanutjelly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:48 am

Barbie wrote:
leidice wrote:So I read that UGA said an addendum isn't necessary for multiple LSAT scores, that they evaluate your application based on the highest one. Can anyone with a wide range of scores who didn't send in an addendum attest to this policy holding true? I don't want to draw attention to my lower scores, so I wasn't planning on sending an addendum in unless they asked. But after being UR for a week, I'm getting kind of antsy. FWIW my highest LSAT is 163, GPA is >75% (OOS). Thought I'd be a quick-ish admit, but wondering if I should email them..


It probably isn't why you haven't gotten in yet. It seems UGA is trying to raise their LSAT median, so 163, regardless of GPA, might not cut it this year. Being OOS is working against you as well. Most people who are getting in have 166+, from what I can tell. (This is coming from a fellow 163)


I'm actually in the exact same boat; the first time I took the LSAT i absolutely bombed it, but took it a second time and made a 163 too. I talked to Dr. Roseboro about it last semester, and he said that multiple test scores weren't a problem. As for being under review for a week, haha, don't worry about that. I've been UR since November, and I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

tropicalpeach
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:24 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby tropicalpeach » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:57 am

I got a 160 in October, insanely studied, then got a 167 in December. I didn't write any LSAT adden. for any schools and it doesn't seem to be hurting my application cycle.

creader
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:18 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby creader » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:25 pm

No offense to UGA but there are only so many people who score above a 164 and most of them have many many options, especially those scoring a 170+. There is an upward limit to what they can make their median/75th percentile LSAT so as long as you are above the current median and have a gpa above the median, you don't have too much to worry about. As long as you have enough softs to show that you have a life, a decent personal statement and no criminal record outside of an MIP or something, you should be good to go. It all comes down to that they are just trying to offer the autoadmits right now and if you fall outside of that just hang on and all should be ok.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Barbie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:25 pm

creader wrote:No offense to UGA but there are only so many people who score above a 164 and most of them have many many options, especially those scoring a 170+. There is an upward limit to what they can make their median/75th percentile LSAT so as long as you are above the current median and have a gpa above the median, you don't have too much to worry about. As long as you have enough softs to show that you have a life, a decent personal statement and no criminal record outside of an MIP or something, you should be good to go. It all comes down to that they are just trying to offer the autoadmits right now and if you fall outside of that just hang on and all should be ok.


lol yea, should. UGA is trying to do some major climbing, I'm interested to see if they can actually pull it off. Emory is still the big dawg in Georgia, and with neighbors like UNC and $$ giving Bama, I don't know if they can really pull off snagging up these 166+ people without giving bigger scholarships.

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:32 pm

The low resident tuition and the fact that anyone can get resident tuition after a year (if they do some very simple things) increases UGA's chances though. A lot of people this year (myself included) had offers from many other places, offering scholarships etc, but chose UGA because of the price. That will continue as long as the economy is bad and people are hesitant to take on large debt.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Postby Barbie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:34 pm

iShotFirst wrote:The low resident tuition and the fact that anyone can get resident tuition after a year (if they do some very simple things) increases UGA's chances though. A lot of people this year (myself included) had offers from many other places, offering scholarships etc, but chose UGA because of the price. That will continue as long as the economy is bad and people are hesitant to take on large debt.


UNC is similarly as cheap. Bama is throwing $$ at these people. Indiana is throwing an INSANE amount of money to anyone with the numbers to even be accepted to UGA right now (like, full tuition). Some people will chose UGA, sure, but I don't forsee their target audience biting like they are hoping.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests