Georgia 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jeremychristiansen

New

Georgia 2011 Applicants

Post by jeremychristiansen » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:03 am

Figured I should get this one going. I emailed them yesterday and just got a reply saying they don't typically send any notice or receipt unless there is something missing. She said my file is complete and in committee...and now we wait.

jeremychristiansen

New

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Post by jeremychristiansen » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:01 pm

Just saw my status as being reviewed by admissions committee.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:48 pm

jeremychristiansen wrote:Just saw my status as being reviewed by admissions committee.

Same!! UGA is a reach for me but luckily I got a fee waiver which made applying much more reasonable :) I'm from north Georgia (even though I don't go to UG there) and UGA is a very, very, very top choice for me!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:19 pm

UGA with instate is like my #1 "reach" right now. I think I have to get a 167/168 to have a shot, and even with that ill be close... but it looks like UGA likes high LSAT from LSN last cycle.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Sandro777 wrote:UGA with instate is like my #1 "reach" right now. I think I have to get a 167/168 to have a shot, and even with that ill be close... but it looks like UGA likes high LSAT from LSN last cycle.
Is your GPA really low or something? When I look at LSN, I see everyone with a 164 sitting pretty...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:25 am

Barbie wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:UGA with instate is like my #1 "reach" right now. I think I have to get a 167/168 to have a shot, and even with that ill be close... but it looks like UGA likes high LSAT from LSN last cycle.
Is your GPA really low or something? When I look at LSN, I see everyone with a 164 sitting pretty...
Weee
Last edited by Sandro on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:38 am

Sandro777 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Yes. 2.9 .
IMO, if you have a decent addendum a 164 would make you a little competitive. Anything higher would compensate as it went up, surely. I'm guessing you took it in October and don't have a score yet. Good luck!!!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:00 am

Yea I mean i think I can safely say I hit 166 on Oct... but 167-168 would make me feel a lot better about UGA.

beatrock

New

Post by beatrock » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:39 am

Wait, so did yall get status checkers?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:45 pm

beatrock wrote:Wait, so did yall get status checkers?
I have one. It took a long time to get it, though. I applied mid September.

beatrock

New

Post by beatrock » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:48 pm

I got my status checker today and when I logged in it said I was already under review. Is anyone else?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:49 pm

beatrock wrote:I got my status checker today and when I logged in it said I was already under review. Is anyone else?
I have a feeling that is their default status-checker post haha. I've been under review since I got mine too.

beatrock

New

Post by beatrock » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Ah ok haha. Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:50 am

Did y'all submit the certification letter? It reads like it's required even with an electronic application and fee waiver.

beatrock

New

Post by beatrock » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:39 am

I didn't and I just double checked the application instructions and only saw a requirement for one if you are a transfer student.

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks. Don't know why I'm so concerned about a $0.39 stamp in the grand scheme of things.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:22 am

I never sent anything last year but the electronic application, and I was fine. If something is missing from your application, it will say on your status checker.

For those who have questions about the status checker:
A lot of times UGA doesn't send out an email for the status checker; I am not sure why. As soon as LSAC tells you that they've gotten your report, go to UGA's website and create a logon. To that, go to UGA Law's website, click the purple "PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS" button at the top(towards the right). Register where it asks for your logon. Then, once you are all registered you should see a thing to the right with your status on it.
The default status is not "under review" IIRC. It will say something like "We have not yet received your application" then "we have received.." then you go "under review." Once you are under review, you are either held(you'll find out in a few months) or find out very quickly if you got in or not (it will say on the status checker). UGA last year was very fast.

I'm a 1L at UGA--if anyone has questions, feel free to PM me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:48 pm

eandy wrote:I never sent anything last year but the electronic application, and I was fine. If something is missing from your application, it will say on your status checker.

For those who have questions about the status checker:
A lot of times UGA doesn't send out an email for the status checker; I am not sure why. As soon as LSAC tells you that they've gotten your report, go to UGA's website and create a logon. To that, go to UGA Law's website, click the purple "PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS" button at the top(towards the right). Register where it asks for your logon. Then, once you are all registered you should see a thing to the right with your status on it.
The default status is not "under review" IIRC. It will say something like "We have not yet received your application" then "we have received.." then you go "under review." Once you are under review, you are either held(you'll find out in a few months) or find out very quickly if you got in or not (it will say on the status checker). UGA last year was very fast.

I'm a 1L at UGA--if anyone has questions, feel free to PM me.
I've been under review pretty much since I submitted my application. Does this mean I've been held since it was a bit ago? According to LSN they don't give out any acceptances til November... :(

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Barbie wrote: I've been under review pretty much since I submitted my application. Does this mean I've been held since it was a bit ago? According to LSN they don't give out any acceptances til November... :(
No, not since it is so early. If you've been held, it will explicitly say so. I would say the only reason you haven't heard yet, besides it still being really early, is that they may be waiting to gauge if making T30 makes their applications significantly better this year.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:41 pm

eandy wrote:
Barbie wrote: I've been under review pretty much since I submitted my application. Does this mean I've been held since it was a bit ago? According to LSN they don't give out any acceptances til November... :(
No, not since it is so early. If you've been held, it will explicitly say so. I would say the only reason you haven't heard yet, besides it still being really early, is that they may be waiting to gauge if making T30 makes their applications significantly better this year.
Oh okay. Is being held different than being waitlisted?

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Barbie wrote:
eandy wrote:
Yes. People who are held will go under review again at some point(I think for some people that was December, but for most it was March/April). Held is not necessarily bad. You know how at W&M if you don't get in initially, and you have to wait until the Spring, it is a disaster? That is not the case with this. There are people who were held last year at UGA that I think still got tuition equalization money.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:52 pm

eandy wrote:
Barbie wrote:
eandy wrote:
Yes. People who are held will go under review again at some point(I think for some people that was December, but for most it was March/April). Held is not necessarily bad. You know how at W&M if you don't get in initially, and you have to wait until the Spring, it is a disaster? That is not the case with this. There are people who were held last year at UGA that I think still got tuition equalization money.
Ah, got it. So Acceptance>Held>Waitlist>Rejection hah

ccoons24

New

Post by ccoons24 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:52 pm

Ok, so I applied to Georgia last cycle, was waitlisted till the bitter end and eventually rejected. My GPA blows (2.78) and my first LSAT wasn't astounding (164). I took the October test and get my score back tomorrow, and now that I'm beginning to go nuts and seriously doubt myself, I'm looking for some reassurance.

Any ideas on what score it'll take to overcome that GPA?

MichaelB123

New

Post by MichaelB123 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:04 pm

ccoons24 wrote:Ok, so I applied to Georgia last cycle, was waitlisted till the bitter end and eventually rejected. My GPA blows (2.78) and my first LSAT wasn't astounding (164). I took the October test and get my score back tomorrow, and now that I'm beginning to go nuts and seriously doubt myself, I'm looking for some reassurance.

Any ideas on what score it'll take to overcome that GPA?
Hard to say. If I were on the admissions committee, I wouldn't admit someone with that low of a GPA even if they had two cocks.

ccoons24

New

Post by ccoons24 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:11 pm

Oh come on, no need to be rude. There were a few mitigating factors involved there; I'm not completely stupid/lazy

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”