Georgia 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eandy

Gold

Re: Georgia 2011 Applicants

Post by eandy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:36 am

Sandro wrote:IN! IN !! IN!! IN!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Just told myself I wasnt going to check status checkers today, decided to right before I went to bed - "Congratulations! You have been admitted to Georgia Law's Class of 2014."

I want to rage.
If you go to UGA, you will rage enough while you're in LS for a lifetime.

ugawarrent

New

Post by ugawarrent » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:48 am

francisConn wrote:The other potential draw for me is the fact that UGA seems to place a lot of folks in federal clerkships, including 9 at SCOTUS over the past few years. Clerking at SCOTUS is an absolute dream that I'm not gonna let go of just because it's so, so unlikely.
Emphasis on the "so, so unlikely" portion, unfortunately... BUT, UGA is still a good school for clerkship placements, so take it one goal at a time! What do you think all those SCOTUS clerks did before winning the lottery--they were clerking elsewhere!

If this is on your mind, you probably already know that grades-grades-grades is your mantra. That is priority #1 to take this path. Then once the grades come in, evaluate & take advantage of your options. Leverage one thing into another. Who knows where you might be in 2016 or so? :)

cake

New

Post by cake » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:05 am

bluemanblueman wrote:In via status checker, planning on visiting soon. Anybody here about the generosity with scholarships for instate students, with tuition being obviously low??
They give money for in state students, too. How do you define generosity? As a percent of tuition or an absolute number? As you said, the tuition is already very low.

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:06 am

Does anyone know when they send out scholarship info?

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:04 am

zreinhar wrote:I was held back in December with a 3.7/165. Has anyone gotten in off the "Hold" list? I have pretty good softs (not TLS good, but still pretty good) and am IS.
Did your status update in some way, or just an assumption based on time?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

athenian

Bronze

Post by athenian » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:07 am

Bill Cosby wrote:
zreinhar wrote:I was held back in December with a 3.7/165. Has anyone gotten in off the "Hold" list? I have pretty good softs (not TLS good, but still pretty good) and am IS.

Your status will update to "Your application has been reviewed and is being held for further review."

Zreinhar, there's a post earlier in this thread that links to an interview with the dean of admissions. He said they don't look at the hold list until they've got a complete picture of their entering class. They'll look at the held applicants at that time.

We're going to be waiting for a while longer.

Autoaccept

New

Post by Autoaccept » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:24 am

Still no word from UGA despite being complete since early November, having comfortable numbers, and having shown interest by accompanying multiple friends to UGA law classes (I'm in Athens right now finishing up UG). Oh well, guess that's the way it goes. UGA: you know where to find me.

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:46 am

athenian wrote:
Bill Cosby wrote:

Your status will update to "Your application has been reviewed and is being held for further review."

Zreinhar, there's a post earlier in this thread that links to an interview with the dean of admissions. He said they don't look at the hold list until they've got a complete picture of their entering class. They'll look at the held applicants at that time.

I asked because mine is still listed as under review and I went complete in early December. Based on my number (3.4/163, in-state), I'm guessing that means reject.

athenian

Bronze

Post by athenian » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:38 am

[quote="Bill Cosby]I asked because mine is still listed as under review and I went complete in early December. Based on my number (3.4/163, in-state), I'm guessing that means reject.[/quote]

I think they'll tell you either way. I sat in review for a while before they finally put me on hold.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nailjohnj

Bronze

Post by Nailjohnj » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:17 pm

So, its nice to know that I am not the only person here who got "held for further review". I called the admissions office and the very nice lady said that it meant that I was going to be reviewed with next batch and should have some degree of decision in the next 3 weeks or so, for what that is worth. So, with that said, what is the consensus from the esteemed TLSers, is "held for further review" the kiss of waitlist death?

athenian

Bronze

Post by athenian » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:41 pm

Nailjohnj wrote:So, its nice to know that I am not the only person here who got "held for further review". I called the admissions office and the very nice lady said that it meant that I was going to be reviewed with next batch and should have some degree of decision in the next 3 weeks or so, for what that is worth. So, with that said, what is the consensus from the esteemed TLSers, is "held for further review" the kiss of waitlist death?
She said the hold pile would be picked back up in the next batch? That's awesome. My fiancee already got her acceptance to UGA so I'm kind of sweating it out here.

I don't think the hold list is a kiss of death. The implication from the dean's interview was that the hold pile is where those who weren't auto-accept or auto-reject go to stew. If you don't get in from the hold pile then you're placed on the waitlist. Oh, and in-state residents get waitlist preference.

Come on UGA.

uwgbluedevil

Bronze

Post by uwgbluedevil » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:06 pm

athenian wrote:
Nailjohnj wrote:So, its nice to know that I am not the only person here who got "held for further review". I called the admissions office and the very nice lady said that it meant that I was going to be reviewed with next batch and should have some degree of decision in the next 3 weeks or so, for what that is worth. So, with that said, what is the consensus from the esteemed TLSers, is "held for further review" the kiss of waitlist death?
She said the hold pile would be picked back up in the next batch? That's awesome. My fiancee already got her acceptance to UGA so I'm kind of sweating it out here.

I don't think the hold list is a kiss of death. The implication from the dean's interview was that the hold pile is where those who weren't auto-accept or auto-reject go to stew. If you don't get in from the hold pile then you're placed on the waitlist. Oh, and in-state residents get waitlist preference.

Come on UGA.
That last part is excellent news because i dont expect an outright acceptance, more likely reject or WL, but i am in-state, so i have a tiny bit of hope

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:48 pm

In state has to have some big boost for UGA. UGA nailed me in before all but one other school decided on me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

uwgbluedevil

Bronze

Post by uwgbluedevil » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:04 pm

I hope so

creader

New

Post by creader » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:39 am

The only thing about in state at UGA is it seems like they are pretty weak on giving scholarships. I mean with my numbers, I got a 24k a year deal at Alabama, which is pretty equivalent in most aspects. Makes it hard to pay full sticker at UGA when it would only be ~8k a year at Alabama, even though I would prefer to go to UGA.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:26 am

creader wrote:The only thing about in state at UGA is it seems like they are pretty weak on giving scholarships. I mean with my numbers, I got a 24k a year deal at Alabama, which is pretty equivalent in most aspects. Makes it hard to pay full sticker at UGA when it would only be ~8k a year at Alabama, even though I would prefer to go to UGA.
I see your point, I fell in love with Athens when I visited so it might be difficult for me to make this choice as well

ccoons24

New

Post by ccoons24 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:28 pm

Ok, so someone with almost my exact same numbers got in yesterday...that person didn't submit their app until Jan 2nd. I am still UR since the first week in December. I give up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:58 pm

ccoons24 wrote:Ok, so someone with almost my exact same numbers got in yesterday...that person didn't submit their app until Jan 2nd. I am still UR since the first week in December. I give up.

I know how you feel. I keep getting passed over too. Oh well.

zreinhar

Bronze

Post by zreinhar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:29 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:
athenian wrote:
Bill Cosby wrote:

I asked because mine is still listed as under review and I went complete in early December. Based on my number (3.4/163, in-state), I'm guessing that means reject.
Didn't mean to post then not come back :lol: But I went under review back in November and got held in early December I think. I thought my numbers and instatedness would make me auto-admit, but I guess UGA is aiming for the stars this year. I think my PS was rather polarizing as I got ~$100k from the highest ranked school I've gotten into thus far, and gotten holds/waitlists/rejects from some schools that I thought I was in at.

/rant

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:03 pm

creader wrote:The only thing about in state at UGA is it seems like they are pretty weak on giving scholarships. I mean with my numbers, I got a 24k a year deal at Alabama, which is pretty equivalent in most aspects. Makes it hard to pay full sticker at UGA when it would only be ~8k a year at Alabama, even though I would prefer to go to UGA.
Yeah, tuition out of state at Bama is around $27,000, so your scholarship would have you paying under $3,000 the first year for tuition. If the scholarship does not depend on your residency, you can claim residency in Alabama and begin paying in state tuition after that. You would be getting paid around $9,000 your second and third years. TLS says that it is possible to earn residency in Alabama after your first year. Also, I had a friend from high school (from GA) who was able to declare his residency in Alabama at 19 even as a dependent of his parents (still in GA). He had to get an Alabama driver's license, and he also had a part-time job, but I do not know if this was a requirement.

UGA Law is still more attractive to me than Bama Law, and although this is based mostly on me being born and raised in GA and attending UGA for undergrad, the proximity to Atlanta and the alumni network located there are two major advantages that should not be overlooked.

LttleBlakDress

Bronze

Post by LttleBlakDress » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:14 pm

I'm in this position as well. And I want to practice in California so I don't feel like either of these schools are so great for that kind of placement, so maybe I should just go for Bama... Let me know what you decide?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Reks

New

Post by Reks » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:18 pm

I just got into UGA too!
3.02 and 167 so I guess they are still looking for the 166/167s.
Does anyone know if they will have another ASW other than the March one?

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:36 pm

My app has been "under review" since December...anybody else in the same club? good/bad sign?

creader

New

Post by creader » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:16 pm

Pricer wrote:
Yeah, tuition out of state at Bama is around $27,000, so your scholarship would have you paying under $3,000 the first year for tuition. If the scholarship does not depend on your residency, you can claim residency in Alabama and begin paying in state tuition after that. You would be getting paid around $9,000 your second and third years. TLS says that it is possible to earn residency in Alabama after your first year. Also, I had a friend from high school (from GA) who was able to declare his residency in Alabama at 19 even as a dependent of his parents (still in GA). He had to get an Alabama driver's license, and he also had a part-time job, but I do not know if this was a requirement.

UGA Law is still more attractive to me than Bama Law, and although this is based mostly on me being born and raised in GA and attending UGA for undergrad, the proximity to Atlanta and the alumni network located there are two major advantages that should not be overlooked.
If you manage to get instate at Alabama the scholarship drops down to 15k, meaning full tuition is covered, but you don't get to pocket the extra 9k. I also grew up in Atlanta and am at UGA finishing my undergrad now, so I understand the wanting to go here as it has been a goal for four years, but I also have family in Birmingham involved in law, so that makes 'Bama pretty attractive. But to be honest, its probably going to come down to the last minute, they were the only places I applied to, and the only places I want to go, so who knows. I probably won't until it comes time to put out the deposit.

Autoaccept

New

Post by Autoaccept » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:18 pm

^isaiah crowell

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”