WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cbp3443

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby cbp3443 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:35 pm

beachbum wrote:
chrisbru wrote:If you're over the 168, your GPA isn't atrocious, and you didn't write your PS in crayon, then you're fine.

That's what everyone keeps saying, but I'm getting legitimately worried now. I don't think there's anything horribly wrong with my app, and I'm a St. Louis native/resident, so... what's the hold-up, WUSTL?

Don't worry yet. I was just admitted on Friday after being in review forever. I am 170+ with a 3.8x and also from the STL area This is just a busy time, so it's taking them time to review everyone no matter what the numbers. You'll be fine! :)

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:02 am

So I finally finished my personal statement, just wondering if Wash U (or any school really) requires placement of the school's name in the personal statement, considering it is largely just a token interchangeable placement anyways if not a "Why X."

Also, if you would like to give additional input(would be appreciated), see here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=145452

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:49 am

soccerfreak wrote:So I finally finished my personal statement, just wondering if Wash U (or any school really) requires placement of the school's name in the personal statement, considering it is largely just a token interchangeable placement anyways if not a "Why X."

Also, if you would like to give additional input(would be appreciated), see here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=145452

For myself, I had certain schools that had specific things I was very interested in, and for those I incorporated that into my PS. However I also made a generic one to send to schools that didn't have those specific things, and that's what WUSTL got.

Basically, I think if you can make it sound like a genuine part of your PS it will work to your advantage, but if not I don't think leaving it out will hurt you.

tropicalpeach

Postby tropicalpeach » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Tag

GoldenGopherHopeful

Postby GoldenGopherHopeful » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:27 pm

chrisbru wrote:
GoldenGopherHopeful wrote:I'm getting pretty antsy. It seems like others who were held for the Dec. LSAT are hearing back, but I haven't even gone under review yet. Admissions didn't update me to "complete" until 1/18. Seems like they won't be getting around to me for a while, and I'm worried that even if I had a shot, there wouldn't be any spots left.

Any words of comfort/advice/tough love from fellow splitters and splitter sympathizers? Next cycle it is, I suppose.

Edit: In case it matters, I am over the magic LSAT number.

If you're over the 168, your GPA isn't atrocious, and you didn't write your PS in crayon, then you're fine.

My GPA IS atrocious. I'm a "consider" because of LSAT, hence my anxiety. But thankfully I decided against the Crayola-styled PS.

Thanks to everyone who is trying to make me/us feel better about the long wait...

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:32 pm

GoldenGopherHopeful wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
GoldenGopherHopeful wrote:I'm getting pretty antsy. It seems like others who were held for the Dec. LSAT are hearing back, but I haven't even gone under review yet. Admissions didn't update me to "complete" until 1/18. Seems like they won't be getting around to me for a while, and I'm worried that even if I had a shot, there wouldn't be any spots left.

Any words of comfort/advice/tough love from fellow splitters and splitter sympathizers? Next cycle it is, I suppose.

If you're over the 168, your GPA isn't atrocious, and you didn't write your PS in crayon, then you're fine.

My GPA IS atrocious. I'm a "consider" because of LSAT, hence my anxiety. But thankfully I decided against the Crayola-styled PS.

Thanks to everyone who is trying to make me/us feel better about the long wait...

I was a consider too. 171/2.94, and got in. So don't stress too much.

However (I noticed your handle) I was put on the waitlist at Minnesota today. Just evidence that our splitter-cycles are totally unpredictable. Accept @ WUSTL, but waitlist @ Illinois and Minnesota. Odd.

GoldenGopherHopeful

Postby GoldenGopherHopeful » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:43 pm

chrisbru wrote:
GoldenGopherHopeful wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I was a consider too. 171/2.94, and got in. So don't stress too much.

However (I noticed your handle) I was put on the waitlist at Minnesota today. Just evidence that our splitter-cycles are totally unpredictable. Accept @ WUSTL, but waitlist @ Illinois and Minnesota. Odd.

I've been following that thread. I noticed a ton of people with great stats were waitlisted today, though people seem to be attributing that to yield issues (if I've correctly guessed the meaning of "YP"). I haven't gone under review there yet either, so I'm not holding out for good news on that front.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:40 pm

Submitted 11/16 and still not IR. :-\ Come on!

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:45 pm

Is anyone going to either of the admitted students weekends?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:57 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:Is anyone going to either of the admitted students weekends?

My friend who's a 1L there and a student ambassador encourage me to come on a different weekend to get a real sense of things. So I'm not...

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:30 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:Is anyone going to either of the admitted students weekends?

My friend who's a 1L there and a student ambassador encourage me to come on a different weekend to get a real sense of things. So I'm not...

A student ambassador encouraged you to not come to an admitted students day?

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:50 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

A student ambassador encouraged you to not come to an admitted students day?

To be honest, it makes sense to me. During ASW everyone wants the school to look shiny and wonderful, but during a "real" day you can see that not everything is sunshine and rainbows. Also, at a lot of ASWs there's a "mock" class, but I feel like going to a real class is much more indicative of what life is like for students there.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:15 pm

Sorry if it's been covered before but anyone know when/how scholly info comes?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:20 pm

Deuce wrote:Sorry if it's been covered before but anyone know when/how scholly info comes?

... I'm not even going to justify that question with a response. Just look back through the fucking thread, man.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:23 pm

chrisbru wrote:Just evidence that our splitter-cycles are totally unpredictable. Accept @ WUSTL, but waitlist @ Illinois and Minnesota. Odd.

Odd squared. So far I have a lower rejection rate in the T14 than in the rest of tier 1. And still no word from WUSTL.

KingRajesh

Postby KingRajesh » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:12 pm

I still have Admission Complete, even though I applied in Late November...

Should I be worried?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:13 pm

Deuce wrote:Sorry if it's been covered before but anyone know when/how scholly info comes?

You must be joking Duece...right?

Birdlaw

Postby Birdlaw » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:15 pm

KingRajesh wrote:I still have Admission Complete, even though I applied in Late November...

Should I be worried?

+1

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:29 pm

Birdlaw wrote:
KingRajesh wrote:I still have Admission Complete, even though I applied in Late November...

Should I be worried?

+1

Late October here. Apparently we shouldn't be too worried since they have to let SOME sub-168ers in eventually... honestly though, because of this ridiculous waiting Illinois is looking WAY better to me than WUSTL right now if I decide to stay in the midwest.

samfii

Postby samfii » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:30 pm

Birdlaw wrote:

Should I be worried?

+1

+2 :-/

GoldenGopherHopeful

Postby GoldenGopherHopeful » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:31 pm

samfii wrote:
Birdlaw wrote:

Should I be worried?

+1

+2 :-/

Assuming you meant "Application Complete" (Admission Complete does not seem like cause for concern!), perhaps you should call Admissions and politely inquire about your status. I was complete 1/18 and went UR at the end of the day today. I called Admissions with a similar question last week (my app was still listed incomplete even though I knew my LSAC report was sent 1/7) and they were very friendly and helpful; they also changed my status to "complete" while I was on the phone with them, after checking to see that everything was there.

Additional things to consider...One, they might be reviewing you and just not have changed your status. I'm learning that it's not automatic at every school. Two, when I asked Admissions whether the delay in updating my completion status would affect the time at which I would be considered, the person with whom I spoke said that they don't review based strictly on the order in which they count the application as complete (so no, it wouldn't affect me). I don't know whether loosely basing it means they might review people who applied within the same week out-of-order, or if they might wait on a November applicant until late January, but either way I don't think it could hurt to call. Among other things, it is a way to signal continued interest, and I definitely think there are ways to inquire without being obnoxious. My $.02.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:40 pm

JenDarby wrote:

You must be joking Duece...right?

DEFCON 4? or can we go straight to 3?

Postby 80884 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:30 pm

Last edited by 80884 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

redrose11

Postby redrose11 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:56 pm

Finally went under review today after being complete 12/8. Come on WUSTL be nice and send some good news my way :)

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:03 am

Sifting through threads sucks, I know. It's allocated in February, IIRC.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”