WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stratocophic

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby stratocophic » Tue May 24, 2011 6:31 pm

samfii wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:Anyone apply to the SNR Denton Summer Program for 0Ls?

Thought it sounded pretty gunnerish, but it might be cool to meet some peeps at the firm and some fellow students before law school starts.
I thought it was at least fairly helpful. It's good to meet people and get settled in early. The guy who runs it is awesome, and you get free dinner every night!

The description of this program said that it was for socioeconomically challenged students, which I dont think I'd have a compelling enough story to qualify for. The program seems super interesting and I'd really love to do it, do you think I should even bother applying?
I would. They also have a waiting list - if someone drops it late (because they got off a WL for another school, e.g.), you might be the only one who's able to accept at that point (that happened last summer for at least one person). No harm in it, plus it's not a long application or anything.

samfii

Postby samfii » Wed May 25, 2011 12:38 am

stratocophic wrote:
samfii wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:Anyone apply to the SNR Denton Summer Program for 0Ls?

Thought it sounded pretty gunnerish, but it might be cool to meet some peeps at the firm and some fellow students before law school starts.
I thought it was at least fairly helpful. It's good to meet people and get settled in early. The guy who runs it is awesome, and you get free dinner every night!

The description of this program said that it was for socioeconomically challenged students, which I dont think I'd have a compelling enough story to qualify for. The program seems super interesting and I'd really love to do it, do you think I should even bother applying?
I would. They also have a waiting list - if someone drops it late (because they got off a WL for another school, e.g.), you might be the only one who's able to accept at that point (that happened last summer for at least one person). No harm in it, plus it's not a long application or anything.

dang, I asked this question too late, the deadline was yesterday :( oh well, thanks for the help anyway

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed May 25, 2011 12:42 am

samfii wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
samfii wrote:
stratocophic wrote:I thought it was at least fairly helpful. It's good to meet people and get settled in early. The guy who runs it is awesome, and you get free dinner every night!

dang, I asked this question too late, the deadline was yesterday :( oh well, thanks for the help anyway
NP. I'd try to apply anyway, maybe say you misread the email or something. They won't act on the applications for a while. Law school isn't that different from high school or college - if you're convincing/willing to beg, deadlines can be stretched.

samfii

Postby samfii » Wed May 25, 2011 12:56 am

stratocophic wrote:NP. I'd try to apply anyway, maybe say you misread the email or something. They won't act on the applications for a while. Law school isn't that different from high school or college - if you're convincing/willing to beg, deadlines can be stretched.

lol, I wouldn't mind begging. great advice, maybe i'll try anyhow!

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Wed May 25, 2011 5:02 am

Last edited by bouakedojo on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed May 25, 2011 12:33 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
stratocophic wrote:I thought it was at least fairly helpful. It's good to meet people and get settled in early. The guy who runs it is awesome, and you get free dinner every night!

So you don't think it contributed to any burnout or anything for you?
Nope, not a bit. I didn't burn out at all 1st semester. Second semester was a different story, but that had nothing to do with the program. You'll have a week or two before orientation starts to recover if you need to, and it isn't intense at all.

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Wed May 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Last edited by bouakedojo on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu May 26, 2011 7:27 pm

WUSTL just sent me an unsolicited scholarship increase of $5k per year, which definitely complicates my decision....

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu May 26, 2011 7:28 pm

JenDarby wrote:WUSTL just sent me an unsolicited scholarship increase of $5k per year, which definitely complicates my decision....

Just in time for the second deposit deadline. :lol:

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu May 26, 2011 7:36 pm

Hannibal wrote:
JenDarby wrote:WUSTL just sent me an unsolicited scholarship increase of $5k per year, which definitely complicates my decision....

Just in time for the second deposit deadline. :lol:

I was already a bit on the fence with this coming up, 15k more isn't making it any easier!

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu May 26, 2011 7:38 pm

Did I mention there are super nice places on the West side of the Loop for $400/room with cable and internet included? Right next to Chipotle and Panera?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu May 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Hannibal wrote:Did I mention there are super nice places on the West side of the Loop for $400/room with cable and internet included? Right next to Chipotle and Panera?

:| I really did not expect this decision to become more difficult. Apts in St. Louis are really nice and affordable, I definitely can't argue that!

edgarfigaro

Postby edgarfigaro » Fri May 27, 2011 7:54 am

Hannibal wrote:Did I mention there are super nice places on the West side of the Loop for $400/room with cable and internet included? Right next to Chipotle and Panera?

Where?

HogLife

Postby HogLife » Fri May 27, 2011 12:49 pm

I'm taking that unsolicited scholly increase a sign that Wash U isn't as over-deposited or over-enrolled as originally speculated. According to last year's thread, this was the beginning of some serious WL movement. I can only hope.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Fri May 27, 2011 12:59 pm

Wow, congrats. had they done that for me when I actually solicited it, I likely would have enrolled.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Fri May 27, 2011 3:03 pm

Yeah, so I am most definitely outing myself, but today I sucessfully negotiated up my scholly to 38k/year. Sooooo happy.
:D :D :D

Which also means there probably is hope out there for the waitlisters. Good luck to everyone still waiting and can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri May 27, 2011 5:16 pm

HogLife wrote:I'm taking that unsolicited scholly increase a sign that Wash U isn't as over-deposited or over-enrolled as originally speculated. According to last year's thread, this was the beginning of some serious WL movement. I can only hope.

I probably still will not be attending, and I imagine WL movement will pick up after Wednesday, good luck!!

It was a really nice surprise to wake up to more money, without even having to ask for it, though!

peaches2132

Postby peaches2132 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:52 am

congrats to those who successfully negotiated! i'm wishing i had waited a bit - i tried earlier on and was unsuccessful.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue May 31, 2011 10:59 am

Yeah, congrats to unsolicited sholly increases and successful negotiations. Put off depositing until the last second hoping I might see one of those unsolicited increases, but alas, no. I guess Wash U knows I have no leverage. Just kind of bummed because a friend with the same GPA and a 6 pt lower LSAT just got 6k because he let them know UIUC accepted him with 33/year. I really wish I'd applied to some Wash U peer schools to get competing offers.

Anyway, I just sent my second deposit in, so it's looking more and more likely I'll be here in the fall.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:30 pm

I'm not going to Wash U, but I asked for a scholarship increase 2x and on the second time I was awarded an increase. The second time I asked the Dean of the law school.

tls_je

Postby tls_je » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:53 am

"Scholarship recipients may not have deposits/seat reservations at multiple law schools after the second deposit deadline. Doing so may risk the loss of scholarship from Washington U Law."

Does this mean that after paying the second deposit, I have to withdraw all my spots from other schools' waitlists as well? Or is it just saying that I have to pick one school among the accepted ones but that I can still wait for my chance of getting off waitlists of other schools?

Thanks!

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:55 am

tls_je wrote:"Scholarship recipients may not have deposits/seat reservations at multiple law schools after the second deposit deadline. Doing so may risk the loss of scholarship from Washington U Law."

Does this mean that after paying the second deposit, I have to withdraw all my spots from other schools' waitlists as well? Or is it just saying that I have to pick one school among the accepted ones but that I can still wait for my chance of getting off waitlists of other schools?

Thanks!

A waitlist is neither a deposit nor a seat reservation. You're fine as long as you're just WL'd. If you get an offer and end up depositing there, you're not. But if you've done that, why would that matter to you anymore?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:40 am

Kabuo wrote:
tls_je wrote:"Scholarship recipients may not have deposits/seat reservations at multiple law schools after the second deposit deadline. Doing so may risk the loss of scholarship from Washington U Law."

Thanks!

A waitlist is neither a deposit nor a seat reservation. You're fine as long as you're just WL'd. If you get an offer and end up depositing there, you're not. But if you've done that, why would that matter to you anymore?

Deposit deadline Wednesday....tough decisions....

klhtq5

Postby klhtq5 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:17 am

For those of you that are from STL, where did you go to high school?

jack492505

Postby jack492505 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:12 am

Accepted off the waitlist last Wednesday with 20k/yr. Very suprised about the money.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”