WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
splitmuch

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby splitmuch » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:58 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:I just sent them an email to withdraw. Putting a pretty decent amount of money back in the pot-hope it goes to some of you!

Also, for anyone that has withdrawn, did they take your email as enough to satisfy the "in writing" requirement? Or does it have to be snail mailed?

I have to say, withdrawing from that money was tough. And, as you can tell, I am a huge Cardinals fan.

They're going to email you an additional form to fill out regarding the deposit.

ktg808

Postby ktg808 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:12 pm

splitmuch wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:I just sent them an email to withdraw. Putting a pretty decent amount of money back in the pot-hope it goes to some of you!

Also, for anyone that has withdrawn, did they take your email as enough to satisfy the "in writing" requirement? Or does it have to be snail mailed?

I have to say, withdrawing from that money was tough. And, as you can tell, I am a huge Cardinals fan.

They're going to email you an additional form to fill out regarding the deposit.

Where are you going split?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:16 pm

ktg808 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Where are you going split?

Taking the debt plunge at NU. Ive gotta swing for the fences personality. Hope it doesn't bite me in the ass in 10 years.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:43 pm

For those who have made attempts at negotiating an increase in merit aid, what was the turnaround time like for hearing back, whether denied or otherwise?

If your request was granted, were you initially updated following receipt of your request and then received the actual increase later?

Feel free to PM me with details.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:55 pm

Jeffro wrote:For those who have made attempts at negotiating an increase in merit aid, what was the turnaround time like for hearing back, whether denied or otherwise?

If your request was granted, were you initially updated following receipt of your request and then received the actual increase later?

Took me I think 2 and half weeks to get a no.

ktg808

Postby ktg808 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:08 am

Jeffro wrote:For those who have made attempts at negotiating an increase in merit aid, what was the turnaround time like for hearing back, whether denied or otherwise?

I asked a couple of days before the April 1st deadline, got an immediate "we'll see after the deposit deadline" response. Got another email on the 14th with a 3k increase.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:27 am

Thank you both. I did almost the same as you ktg808, was told that they would wait until after April 1, but nothing since then. I guess I need to follow up with them soon.

clearfire

Postby clearfire » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:14 pm

Withdrew, 135k back in the pot for you guys.

FAR262

Postby FAR262 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:22 pm

Just withdrew. Hope someone here gets my spot and my 75k.

kswiss1114

Postby kswiss1114 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:34 pm

In off the waitlist at 8pm w some money! Def attending...keep up the hope everyone!

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:00 pm

kswiss1114 wrote:In off the waitlist at 8pm w some money! Def attending...keep up the hope everyone!

Congrats!!! will you be attending?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:00 pm

JenDarby wrote:
kswiss1114 wrote:In off the waitlist at 8pm w some money! Def attending...keep up the hope everyone!

RC fail. :lol:

Also, you shouldn't have deleted your other post. I agreed with it!

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

haha, my RC fail had to do with my quick edit. but, reading this, I shall reiterate my original point:

I like that everyone always feels the need to point out their scholarship accomplishments with an out of the blue "look how much money I got..but I'm so above it I withdrew, hope ya'll get it. : )"

I am proud to say I have not rubbed my scholarships or withdrawals in the faces of anyone still waiting to hear back from schools, as we all know withdrawing doesn't "free up" the money for other people, since A. schools generally over extend themselves and B. if people are still waiting they probably aren't going to get your 135k.

:mrgreen:

klhtq5

Postby klhtq5 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:58 am

I got accepted today! Thanks to everyone who encouraged me with posts on the last page. And my grandfather, who went to wash u and was a huge fan, would've had his bday today so it was extra special :)

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:04 am

klhtq5 wrote:I got accepted today! Thanks to everyone who encouraged me with posts on the last page. And my grandfather, who went to wash u and was a huge fan, would've had his bday today so it was extra special :)

Huge congrats. Attending?

jcdc

Postby jcdc » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:56 am

Me too! $ off the waitlist was very unexpected, but great news :D

kswiss1114

Postby kswiss1114 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:55 am

:D Congrats! Also appreciated the email being at 8pm Friday, really kick started a good weekend.

Now to catch up on the apartment scene...going to try to visit after graduation but I like the look of Central West End.

Anyone who did ASW/has searched in the area, I would absolutely appreciate a PM about housing. I checked on the other threads as well and there is a lot of information, which is helpful, but if you saw some specific places that were nice/not nice and they stand out to you, it'd be great to know.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:57 am

JenDarby wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

haha, my RC fail had to do with my quick edit. but, reading this, I shall reiterate my original point:

I like that everyone always feels the need to point out their scholarship accomplishments with an out of the blue "look how much money I got..but I'm so above it I withdrew, hope ya'll get it. : )"

I am proud to say I have not rubbed my scholarships or withdrawals in the faces of anyone still waiting to hear back from schools, as we all know withdrawing doesn't "free up" the money for other people, since A. schools generally over extend themselves and B. if people are still waiting they probably aren't going to get your 135k.

:mrgreen:

I think in this case it is actually freeing up money as they are admitting people of the WL with money.

HogLife

Postby HogLife » Sun May 01, 2011 2:46 am

Lurking TLS Obsessee coming out of the closet here...

That WL movement on Friday has me nervous/excited. Do you guys think there will be more movement once they've received all possible refund requests postmarked at the last minute? If Wash U was so over deposited a few weeks ago, why the movement before the refund deadline? Their ability to offer money along with offers from the WL is also very encouraging. I just don't see the logic behind it if they were still as over-deposited as it appeared they were around the first of April. I could be reaching, but I guess I'm just trying to stay positive.

BTW... A huge congrats to those who were accepted on Friday! :)

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Sun May 01, 2011 2:53 am

HogLife wrote:Lurking TLS Obsessee coming out of the closet here...

That WL movement on Friday has me nervous/excited. Do you guys think there will be more movement once they've received all possible refund requests postmarked at the last minute? If Wash U was so over deposited a few weeks ago, why the movement before the refund deadline? Their ability to offer money along with offers from the WL is also very encouraging. I just don't see the logic behind it if they were still as over-deposited as it appeared they were around the first of April. I could be reaching, but I guess I'm just trying to stay positive.

BTW... A huge congrats to those who were accepted on Friday! :)

I'd wager several people like me just deposited to hold on another month until most every other law schools' deadlines came up. As they came up between the 15th and the 30th, there were probably mass exoduses from the accepted pool. It is hard to say no to that money before you actually have to make a decision, and there is no penalty in the end for holding on another month. Thus, several people who had little to no intention to stay in the class just deposited because they needed more time to think about it. Hence, when deadline approach, much larger than normal class shifts.

ETA: I believe Duke and Gtown started pulling from their WL's just before their deadline. So not an entirely uncommon phenomenon.

HogLife

Postby HogLife » Sun May 01, 2011 3:01 am

Makes sense to me. Should be interesting to see what type of movement there will be this week.

klhtq5

Postby klhtq5 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:09 pm

I think I'll be joining your class! I got my acceptance Friday but was not wait listed. I think it's because I applied right at the deadline. I'm the 14th person in my family to go here, though, so they're all pretty excited.

denada!

Postby denada! » Wed May 04, 2011 2:32 am

To people who just got in off the waitlist:

Did you send a LOCI? Or visit the school and talk to anyone after you were waitlisted?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed May 04, 2011 3:28 am

http://law.wustl.edu/admissions/pages.aspx?id=286
Looks like we've copied Michigan's program. Surprised I hadn't heard about this, even though it's evidently been going on all year. Smart move by admissions - ingenious move by Michigan to come up with this in the first place.

jcdc

Postby jcdc » Wed May 04, 2011 9:51 am

denada! wrote:To people who just got in off the waitlist:

Did you send a LOCI? Or visit the school and talk to anyone after you were waitlisted?

I sent in a LOCI that included all the programs at WUSTL that interested me and how I could contribute to them.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”