WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TatteredDignity

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
sparcarc wrote:WL'ed..

I know it is difficult to gauge, but does anyone have any idea about how many students in WUSTL's waitlist may become accepted?

2 Schools of thought. 1 is they say they are already over committed so that could hurt. The other, more likely IMO, thought is that theyve accepted alot of really high LSATs who won't go, so there may be alot of room.
There'll be a lot of movement as they try to get people w/ high GPAs who are willing to commit to the school. My guess is that they weren't that far off of a 168 median last year, so they're giving it a go by cutting the class size this year in order to make it easier.

They are cutting the class size, but I don't think this is why.

My tour guide told me it was 1) because they've been bigger than they typically are the last few cycles and they want to get back to normal and 2) prospectives like seeing a good student/faculty ratio when scoping out the school. #1 might be true.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:They are cutting the class size, but I don't think this is why.

I think this is more a positive side effect of trying to reduce stress on facilities/faculty.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:54 pm

romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
sparcarc wrote:WL'ed..

I know it is difficult to gauge, but does anyone have any idea about how many students in WUSTL's waitlist may become accepted?

2 Schools of thought. 1 is they say they are already over committed so that could hurt. The other, more likely IMO, thought is that theyve accepted alot of really high LSATs who won't go, so there may be alot of room.
There'll be a lot of movement as they try to get people w/ high GPAs who are willing to commit to the school. My guess is that they weren't that far off of a 168 median last year, so they're giving it a go by cutting the class size this year in order to make it easier.

They are cutting the class size, but I don't think this is why.

I think this is part of it. Cutting class size and doubling the splitter scholarship money should get them high enough yield to secure a 168. The overloaded c/o 2012 and 2013 helps even out the costs, as well as the large transfer classes.

c/o 2014 will be a good year to go to WUSTL. Awesome scholarship money, higher in the rankings, a more recovered OCI...plus, employers don't cut back on interviews when your class is smaller so I think it will be easier for people to get interviews.
Last edited by JCougar on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:56 pm

Re: large transfer classes- how much of a crowding effect does that have during OCI? I know Romo and Coug are 1Ls, but any upperclassmen stories complaining about it?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:59 pm

0LNewbie wrote:Re: large transfer classes- how much of a crowding effect does that have during OCI? I know Romo and Coug are 1Ls, but any upperclassmen stories complaining about it?

I don't think it matters too much. If you have the grades here, you have the grades. If you're in the top third, you'll get interviews. I don't know that this is a school where transfers can just waltz in and expect to get tons of offers.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:07 pm

JCougar wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:Re: large transfer classes- how much of a crowding effect does that have during OCI? I know Romo and Coug are 1Ls, but any upperclassmen stories complaining about it?

I don't think it matters too much. If you have the grades here, you have the grades. If you're in the top third, you'll get interviews. I don't know that this is a school where transfers can just waltz in and expect to get tons of offers.

Yeah, I was kind of curious about that... what is the transfer class hoping to accomplish... basically just get interviews they wouldn't otherwise have had, or have a better name on their diploma? I thought it was really only popular to transfer to the T14.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:18 pm

I'll be frank... I sincerely hope they cut the transfer class size this year along with the incoming class.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:

I'll be frank... I sincerely hope they cut the transfer class size this year along with the incoming class.
We do have what seems like a ton of people in the 1L class. Wasn't the number as low as 225/235 like 3 or 4 years ago? I seem to recall seeing entering size for the last decade or so and I think it started creeping up within the last 5 years.

pinkzebra

Postby pinkzebra » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:24 pm

JenDarby wrote: Add me to the list of extremely amazing people who will almost surely be attending. :wink:

+1 :D

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:40 pm

JCougar wrote:c/o 2014 will be a good year to go to WUSTL. Awesome scholarship money, higher in the rankings, a more recovered OCI...plus, employers don't cut back on interviews when your class is smaller so I think it will be easier for people to get interviews.

WUSTL isn't even close to the only school cutting their class sizes significantly. While it's this cycle has been really brutal, each acceptance means more.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:54 pm

stratocophic wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

We do have what seems like a ton of people in the 1L class. Wasn't the number as low as 225/235 like 3 or 4 years ago? I seem to recall seeing entering size for the last decade or so and I think it started creeping up within the last 5 years.

I dunno. I've actually thought about asking admissions what they plan to do with our class in light of the lower incoming classes. I really hope we slash our transfer classes. I don't want to have to compete with a whole bunch of other people at OCI who all got great grades at their old school.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I dunno. I've actually thought about asking admissions what they plan to do with our class in light of the lower incoming classes. I really hope we slash our transfer classes. I don't want to have to compete with a whole bunch of other people at OCI who all got great grades at their old school.
It'll be interesting. If they take less transfers it should even out - I'm sure there will be at least 15-25 people who are both willing and able to transfer. In addition to ladder-climbers there'll probably be some moves to the east and west coasts from splitters who couldn't get into places like UCLA or BC because of their UG grades.

Underground404

Postby Underground404 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:37 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the waitlist from years past? I was just wondering what we could expect this year in terms of how many people will be offered admission from that list and what a possible timeline might look like. Thanks in advance!

cjw2222

Postby cjw2222 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:11 pm

Underground404 wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the waitlist from years past? I was just wondering what we could expect this year in terms of how many people will be offered admission from that list and what a possible timeline might look like. Thanks in advance!

Here is the topic from the 2010 cycle viewtopic.php?f=7&t=94728&start=5125

Has some good information on who got pulled off the WL and when. If you do plan on riding it out, be prepared to wait until Late July or early August for final offers.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:36 pm

cjw2222 wrote:
Underground404 wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the waitlist from years past? I was just wondering what we could expect this year in terms of how many people will be offered admission from that list and what a possible timeline might look like. Thanks in advance!

Here is the topic from the 2010 cycle http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=5125

Has some good information on who got pulled off the WL and when. If you do plan on riding it out, be prepared to wait until Late July or early August for final offers.

That would blow hard core

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:48 pm

romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Neither do I, but I'm not holding out much hope. Transfer students don't get scholarships, and provide a windfall for the schools. They pay for the tuition breaks the other students get. For a law school to turn down a windfall of tuition money would be like Al Bundy turning down hooters.

(also, I think we've completely hijacked the 0L thread... :) )

krad

Postby krad » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:18 pm

Withdrew this morning as I will not be depositing at their deadline tomorrow. I hope that someone anxiously waiting gets my spot (and my $$)! Good luck to all!

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:23 pm

Deposited

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:52 pm

krad wrote:Withdrew this morning as I will not be depositing at their deadline tomorrow. I hope that someone anxiously waiting gets my spot (and my $$)! Good luck to all!

FUUUUUU

krad

Postby krad » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:59 pm

Hannibal wrote:
krad wrote:Withdrew this morning as I will not be depositing at their deadline tomorrow. I hope that someone anxiously waiting gets my spot (and my $$)! Good luck to all!

FUUUUUU

Sorry hannishoes :(

Verity

Postby Verity » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:43 pm

JCougar wrote:I think this is part of it. Cutting class size and doubling the splitter scholarship money should get them high enough yield to secure a 168. The overloaded c/o 2012 and 2013 helps even out the costs, as well as the large transfer classes.

c/o 2014 will be a good year to go to WUSTL. Awesome scholarship money, higher in the rankings, a more recovered OCI...plus, employers don't cut back on interviews when your class is smaller so I think it will be easier for people to get interviews.

If I had a shlong, it would probably be hard after this.

Underground404

Postby Underground404 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:44 pm

Do I need to put down a deposit if I'm on the waitlist? I didn't see anything about it in the e-mail that I received. Am I correct in assuming that I only put down a deposit if I'm offered a seat sometime in the future?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:53 pm

Just withdrew. Hoping my spot/$ goes to some of y'all. Good luck!

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:03 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Just withdrew. Hoping my spot/$ goes to some of y'all. Good luck!

x_x

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:04 am

krad wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

FUUUUUU

Sorry hannishoes :(

Whaaaaaaaat

Very disappointed... :(
Last edited by romothesavior on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”