WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
beachbum

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby beachbum » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:21 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:Submitted on the 30th.

zeke18

Postby zeke18 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:26 pm

Applied this mornin.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:27 pm

Does WUSTL do confirmations/status checkers?

firecracker

Postby firecracker » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:50 pm

Hannibal wrote:Does WUSTL do confirmations/status checkers?

Yes they do. Last year they e-mailed me a couple of days after I submitted my application with my login info.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:54 pm

firecracker wrote:

Yes they do. Last year they e-mailed me a couple of days after I submitted my application with my login info.

Well, I turned my app in the 27th of September. They STILL have not sent me a single thing. Don't know if that's just me or they are just not sending stuff out right now.

firecracker

Postby firecracker » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:01 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
firecracker wrote:

Well, I turned my app in the 27th of September. They STILL have not sent me a single thing. Don't know if that's just me or they are just not sending stuff out right now.

Last year I applied in January, so maybe they don't send things out this early.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:18 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
firecracker wrote:

Same here. LSAC sent a report, but I haven't gotten a single application received/status checker/acknowledgment of my existence from WUSTL.

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:31 pm

beachbum wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
firecracker wrote:

Same here. LSAC sent a report, but I haven't gotten a single application received/status checker/acknowledgment of my existence from WUSTL.

+1and I submitted around September 13th. Hello wustl, I exist! :mrgreen:

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:37 am

WUSTL doesn't usually offer decisions until the very beginning of December.

Also, if you have either 1) a 167 or above or 2) a 3.65 or above GPA plus a 162 or above, your chances of getting in are very good, provided they don't try to raise their medians this year.

I just started here this fall, and if you have any questions, let me know. One thing people fail to consider about St. Louis is that it's very cheap to live here, compared to New York, Boston, DC, or LA -- yet you're still living in a big city that definitely can hold its own re: things to do. You may even save up to $10K per year on living expenses. Think about that when you're applying for COL loans. It's like getting an extra $30K scholarship over three years.

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:18 am

JCougar wrote:Also, if you have either 1) a 167 or above or 2) a 3.65 or above GPA plus a 162 or above, your chances of getting in are very good, provided they don't try to raise their medians this year.

Wow, really? I applied with my october lsat score (163) and I have a GPA around 3.65. I thought WUSTL would be one of the biggest reaches for me along with Texas/GW/USC...you gave me some hope!!! I'd love to attend WUSTL

Henchman21

Postby Henchman21 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:37 am

JCougar wrote:WUSTL doesn't usually offer decisions until the very beginning of December.

Also, if you have either 1) a 167 or above or 2) a 3.65 or above GPA plus a 162 or above, your chances of getting in are very good, provided they don't try to raise their medians this year.

I just started here this fall, and if you have any questions, let me know. One thing people fail to consider about St. Louis is that it's very cheap to live here, compared to New York, Boston, DC, or LA -- yet you're still living in a big city that definitely can hold its own re: things to do. You may even save up to $10K per year on living expenses. Think about that when you're applying for COL loans. It's like getting an extra $30K scholarship over three years.

I was just curious why you are so confident that people with 167+ LSAT or 3.65 or above GPA + 162+ LSAT have a very good chance. (Do you have data to back it up?)

The reason I ask is because I have 165/with a GPA above 3.65 and I consider myself a long shot. I would love to attend here and I don't want to get my hopes up so high.

ihp12

Postby ihp12 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:09 am

JCougar wrote:WUSTL doesn't usually offer decisions until the very beginning of December.

Based on LSN, which is admittedly a small possibly self selecting sample, I would agree with 1) and disagree somewhat with 2).

http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

I think situation 2) makes your competitive, but not a lock by any means.

On a seperate note, WUSTL is slowly creeping up my list of top pics. The more I see and learn, the more I like.

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:54 am

21, love the tar (and name).

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:56 am

Entchen wrote:21, love the tar (and name).

RIP 24

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:10 pm

xqhp82 wrote:
JCougar wrote:Also, if you have either 1) a 167 or above or 2) a 3.65 or above GPA plus a 162 or above, your chances of getting in are very good, provided they don't try to raise their medians this year.

Wow, really? I applied with my october lsat score (163) and I have a GPA around 3.65. I thought WUSTL would be one of the biggest reaches for me along with Texas/GW/USC...you gave me some hope!!! I'd love to attend WUSTL

You're right on the border line. WUSTL rounds up to the nearest tenth of a GPA point with their medians, so historically, 3.65 has rounded up to a 3.7. But you have to have a 3.65 or higher for it to round up. It really depends on what they're doing this year, though.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:11 pm

Henchman21 wrote:

I was just curious why you are so confident that people with 167+ LSAT or 3.65 or above GPA + 162+ LSAT have a very good chance. (Do you have data to back it up?)

The reason I ask is because I have 165/with a GPA above 3.65 and I consider myself a long shot. I would love to attend here and I don't want to get my hopes up so high.

Look at the past years on LSN.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:28 pm

I applied in the middle of Sept.... and have heard nothing :cry:

Amir N

Postby Amir N » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:38 pm

kk19131 wrote:I applied in the middle of Sept.... and have heard nothing :cry:

Same.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Problem is, they're always trying to raise their medians. Every school does, really.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:28 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:

Problem is, they're always trying to raise their medians. Every school does, really.
Well, they didn't last year, which was the most competitive cycle in history. Not even the GPA median went up. Only way that I can see to raise the medians is to use money to poach people that would have gone to schools. It could happen eventually, as the reputation continues to solidify, but I don't think it's going to be this year. GPA, maybe. LSAT's doubtful.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:40 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:

Well, they didn't last year, which was the most competitive cycle in history. Not even the GPA median went up. Only way that I can see to raise the medians is to use money to poach people that would have gone to schools. It could happen eventually, as the reputation continues to solidify, but I don't think it's going to be this year. GPA, maybe. LSAT's doubtful.

This is pretty surprising. Perhaps admitted applicant median went higher but attending didn't? It just feels like every year, the numbers are being pushed up.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:49 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:

This is pretty surprising. Perhaps admitted applicant median went higher but attending didn't? It just feels like every year, the numbers are being pushed up.

They raised their LSAT 25th percentile to 162 last year from 161. And they offered less scholarship money last year as well. I don't know why they offered less scholarship money, but they did bring on some pretty good faculty hires. They've been doing a lot of beefing up with their faculty lately -- focusing on that instead of trying to improve their medians. Once you get a median as high as 167, it's hard to keep pushing it up with scholarships alone. In order to start peeling potential applicants away from the T14, your school doesn't just have to be cheap for people -- it also has to have a credible faculty and a great reputation.

ihp12

Postby ihp12 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:28 pm

I've written and erased five different theories on this question, but here goes....

You've gotta figure that since rankings are relative, WUSTL will have to improve at the expense of another school, or a combination of other schools. What schools might it rise against? The other middle tier midwest schools (non chicago and NW) are ND, UIUC, Iowa, ect. Since WUSTLs medians are almost the same or slightly better than these schools, it wont do it much good to poach top students from these schools, as their medians won't rise (or at least not much).

I think their best bet is to go after the top ranked schools near them that are still somewhat regional like Utex, USC, and UCLA. They are not likely to do well against UTexas, as the Texas economy seems like its gonna do well over the next decade. If the CALI econ stays down however, they might steal some people from USC and UCLA.

Henchman21

Postby Henchman21 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:25 pm

Entchen wrote:21, love the tar (and name).

haha thanks
I was going to go with brock sampson but I didn't want to have a mullet on my avatar so I went with my next favorite character

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:22 pm

ihp12 wrote:I've written and erased five different theories on this question, but here goes....

You've gotta figure that since rankings are relative, WUSTL will have to improve at the expense of another school, or a combination of other schools. What schools might it rise against? The other middle tier midwest schools (non chicago and NW) are ND, UIUC, Iowa, ect. Since WUSTLs medians are almost the same or slightly better than these schools, it wont do it much good to poach top students from these schools, as their medians won't rise (or at least not much).

I think their best bet is to go after the top ranked schools near them that are still somewhat regional like Utex, USC, and UCLA. They are not likely to do well against UTexas, as the Texas economy seems like its gonna do well over the next decade. If the CALI econ stays down however, they might steal some people from USC and UCLA.

Well, we've plucked two pretty prestigious professors from Iowa in the last two years, so take that for what you will.

Texas might be in some trouble, though. It was just revealed that they have budget problems as bad as (if not worse than) California. If a liberal state like California has to raise tuition prices to make ends meet, imagine what a state run by right-wing demagogues might do to the cost of education...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”