WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fatduck

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby fatduck » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:10 pm

snichols16 wrote:Let me get this straight -- you think St Louis offers more stuff than Los Angeles? A city of 62 square miles and 320,000 people offers more stuff to do than a city of 500 square miles and 3.8 million? Have you been to LA? I hope we don't become classmates.

snichols16 wrote:I've had friends who work at Irell, Latham, Gibson (SF), and Quinn in LA talk to the recruitment partners about Wash U and they've all, more or less, said "not a chance we'll recruit there."

snichols16 wrote:If you went by the tar pits, then yes, you're right. Otherwise, ADS, Keep your ugly fucking goldbricking ass out of my beach community!

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:14 pm

Okay guys, I'm shutting down the internet after that one. We had a good run.

Jackson Pollock

Postby Jackson Pollock » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:06 pm

law4vus wrote:
snichols16 wrote:Let me get this straight -- you think St Louis offers more stuff than Los Angeles? A city of 62 square miles and 320,000 people offers more stuff to do than a city of 500 square miles and 3.8 million? Have you been to LA? I hope we don't become classmates.

If I'm reading correctly, he's comparing Urbana-Champaign to St. Louis, not LA.

I thought so as well, but then RC has never been my strong point. Lemme check again.

Yep. He was comparing STL to UC, not LA.

I am eagerly anticipating an apology to Romo for the dick-ness of the comment and/or a screenshot of his RC score from his LSAT.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:15 pm

I especially love the spew posting. 3 posts in a row instead of editing it. Really shows you how much of a hurry he was in to tell the world that LA is better than STL.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:19 pm

I've been to LA, if STL is even a little bit easier to drive around in, it'll feel like more is going on there.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:26 pm

I've been to Los Angeles three times over the past 5 years, for a grand total of about 20 days in the place. I think it's a cool city and all. Problem is, in area, it's about as big as all of NYC without a grid system or comparable mass transit. I was born and raised in Miami, and LA reminds me of all the things I hated about South Florida (most notably the type of deadbeats and weirdos it attracts). They are very, very different cities, of course, but I'm no stranger to the weather and the urban sprawl and human refuse. That said, it seems like it would be a nice place to live, with plenty of stuff to do.

However, I don't think I could live in LA or California because virtually all my friends and family live in the Northeast (with a smattering in Chicago and Florida), and it's a long ways away. Also, living in LA would probably remind me of my failed pipe dream of becoming a TV writer/showrunner, and that would just be painful. I'm a "writer" who realized that the closest thing I could do to getting paid well for writing is becoming a lawyer. But who knows.

I don't think quantity comparison is fair. St. Louis is a pretty decent city, although if I had to choose a midwestern city I'd go either Minneapolis or Chicago. Living on the plains is very, very different from living out West, and one should definitely get a feel for each before making a decision. I go to school in a fairly small city, and I like it just fine. I like both rural and urban areas and oscillate between preferring one or the other. Sometimes I feel like living/working in the hustle and bustle of a city, and sometimes I prefer a large, secluded home. Which is why I hope someday I can afford both

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:30 pm

My hating on LA is probably also cognitive dissonance stemming from my expectation of not getting into USC/UCLA. Whatever...

Also- fucking fascist!

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:54 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:I've been to Los Angeles three times over the past 5 years, for a grand total of about 20 days in the place. I think it's a cool city and all. Problem is, in area, it's about as big as all of NYC without a grid system or comparable mass transit. I was born and raised in Miami, and LA reminds me of all the things I hated about South Florida (most notably the type of deadbeats and weirdos it attracts). They are very, very different cities, of course, but I'm no stranger to the weather and the urban sprawl and human refuse. That said, it seems like it would be a nice place to live, with plenty of stuff to do.

However, I don't think I could live in LA or California because virtually all my friends and family live in the Northeast (with a smattering in Chicago and Florida), and it's a long ways away. Also, living in LA would probably remind me of my failed pipe dream of becoming a TV writer/showrunner, and that would just be painful. I'm a "writer" who realized that the closest thing I could do to getting paid well for writing is becoming a lawyer. But who knows.

I don't think quantity comparison is fair. St. Louis is a pretty decent city, although if I had to choose a midwestern city I'd go either Minneapolis or Chicago. Living on the plains is very, very different from living out West, and one should definitely get a feel for each before making a decision. I go to school in a fairly small city, and I like it just fine. I like both rural and urban areas and oscillate between preferring one or the other. Sometimes I feel like living/working in the hustle and bustle of a city, and sometimes I prefer a large, secluded home. Which is why I hope someday I can afford both

Totally fair. I grew up in Minneapolis and have been in LA for the past seven years. I hated this city for my first year here, but then I moved to Venice. I loved Venice right away. Loving Venice put me in a better mood and allowed me to explore the rest of the city. Now I love the entirety of this mess. Even the Valley. So much to do all of the time. You cannot beat the quality, variety, and diversity of food (except maybe in San Francisco). Granted, most of the people in this town are d-bags. But living on the beach cuts that issue down.

Also, I got one wrong on my RC. Then again, I didn't take my RC after a heavy night of drinking.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:10 pm

Jackson Pollock wrote:Yep. He was comparing STL to UC, not LA.

I am eagerly anticipating an apology to Romo for the dick-ness of the comment

+1 to both. I've never even been to LA. I was comparing STL to Champaign/Urbana.

And his comment was completely unnecessary. What a jackass.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:51 pm

Just withdrew, hope that it frees up some space for those who are still waiting.

peaches2132

Postby peaches2132 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:30 pm

Anyone hear about financial aid? (As in, not the Scholar in Law awards).

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:36 pm

bdubs wrote:Just withdrew, hope that it frees up some space for those who are still waiting.

Thank you!

SlimCharles

Postby SlimCharles » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:20 am

in review today after i/r 3/11. applied in november.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:49 am

peaches2132 wrote:Anyone hear about financial aid? (As in, not the Scholar in Law awards).

I just got an email detailing my (non-existant) need-based aid/loan package, if that's what you're asking about.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:50 am

Magnolia wrote:
peaches2132 wrote:Anyone hear about financial aid? (As in, not the Scholar in Law awards).

I just got an email detailing my (non-existant) need-based aid/loan package, if that's what you're asking about.

also got this email.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:51 am

^ ditto

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:53 am

they seem to be pretty generous with the COA estimations - way more Plus loans than i will need - good for people who have credit card debt to pay down or whatever

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:53 am

fatduck wrote:
Magnolia wrote:

also got this email.

Withdrew yesterday, but still received this letter.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:55 am

fatduck wrote:they seem to be pretty generous with the COA estimations - way more Plus loans than i will need - good for people who have credit card debt to pay down or whatever

$41,600/year (21,100 in grad plus) in loans on top of my scholarship seems like insanity.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:02 pm

A ~2K bump in tuition over last year? Gosh! :roll:

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:10 pm

JenDarby wrote:
fatduck wrote:they seem to be pretty generous with the COA estimations - way more Plus loans than i will need - good for people who have credit card debt to pay down or whatever

$41,600/year (21,100 in grad plus) in loans on top of my scholarship seems like insanity.

yeah, got the same package. only I got 46,600 on top of my 20k scholly making 26,600 in grad plus loans. may I ask what your scholly was? I know you can write in lower amounts if you feel the loans are too high. I'd like to get an actual student to estimate the COL. did romo ever mention that in the WUSTL 1L questions thread?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:13 pm

My scholarship is 25k/yr, which is feeling inconsequential considering these total numbers....

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:17 pm

JenDarby wrote:My scholarship is 25k/yr, which is feeling inconsequential considering these total numbers....

lol, I feel that. that validates the extra 5k/year they gave me in grad plus. I'm guessing we can ask for less next year if this turns out to be too much. I figure I'll take the entire award and manage my money properly. that way I have a safety net if I spend more than I wanted to, but I can also lower my loans the following year if it works out as I presume it will. makes sense in my head at least.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:18 pm

you don't have to return your award letter until july 1st. by then you should have a much better idea of your expenses. don't take any more loans than you need.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:21 pm

JenDarby wrote:$41,600/year (21,100 in grad plus) in loans on top of my scholarship seems like insanity.

How is that your COA estimate? I also have a 25k scholarship and I'm looking at maybe 100k in debt. With a paid summer gig next year, it will be about 80k.

They are way generous in their COL estimates. I took out significantly under my loan total, and I live like a king in law school. You can save thousands of dollars very easily.

1. Get a cheap apartment
2. Don't shop too much (seriously, this has been killer to me... I spend too much on clothes)
3. Don't go out to eat/drink more than you can afford, and when you do, just keep it under control.
4. Take the metro to school instead of driving. Between the parking permit and gas, that's $1,000 right there

I will agree, however, that the continual increases in tuition are disgusting. I'd say borderline unethical. For schools to continue to raise tuition on their law students when they can't place a substantial chunk of the class into decent jobs is just infuriating. But this isn't a WUSTL thing, this is a higher ed thing (for the most part).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”