WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pballer

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby pballer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:09 pm

I was by no means singling you out. There have been a lot of "below x numbers = waitlist/reject" and I find it to be overly general. That's not to say that I think that my 2.4/167 is going to get accepted heh. WashU is my biggest reach and my #1 choice, but I don't remotely expect to be accepted.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:16 pm

Justathought wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
bbermud wrote:what about reverse splitters with sucky sucky LSAT scores? ne hope for us? been in review since 1/26

depends on GPA and how low that LSAT is...

Oh can I play too?

What about a 2.4/164/URM/Non-trad with a 4.0 over the last 39 credits of college work. Poor work was done prior to 2002.

I don't think I have a shot in hell. What say you?

??? Quick math shows for a normal 120 credit degree, if you were 4.0 over the last 39 credits, you were 1.92 over the first 81... how are you even able to graduate?

bbermud

Postby bbermud » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:16 pm

pballer wrote:I was by no means singling you out. There have been a lot of "below x numbers = waitlist/reject" and I find it to be overly general. That's not to say that I think that my 2.4/167 is going to get accepted heh. WashU is my biggest reach and my #1 choice, but I don't remotely expect to be accepted.

dont give up hope. i was held at NU with 153. so i still have some hope. only a bit longer.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:16 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Justathought wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
bbermud wrote:what about reverse splitters with sucky sucky LSAT scores? ne hope for us? been in review since 1/26

Oh can I play too?

What about a 2.4/164/URM/Non-trad with a 4.0 over the last 39 credits of college work. Poor work was done prior to 2002.

??? Quick math shows for a normal 120 credit degree, if you were 4.0 over the last 39 credits, you were 1.92 over the first 81... how are you even able to graduate?

hey may have failed/retaken courses. lsac counts both grades.

pballer

Postby pballer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:19 pm

Fatduck your avatar makes me smile

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:19 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Justathought wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

Oh can I play too?

To be honest, I have no idea how it all worked. My GPA was somewhere around that though through the first 81. I didn't retake any classes, my GPA was calculated both by my school and LSAC as 2.4.

Really can't tell you.

Edit: If you are asking how I wasn't kicked out of school before that, there is a simple answer: I was. I petitioned my way back in and obviously rocked it. I'm pretty darn smart, but there were issues at the time.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Justathought wrote:To be honest, I have no idea how it all worked. My GPA was somewhere around that though through the first 81. I didn't retake any classes, my GPA was calculated both by my school and LSAC as 2.4.

Really can't tell you.

Hey, more power to you if you are graduating and were able to overcome a sub-par GPA prior to your last 39 credits. I just scratch my head, but, at the end of the day, as long as you gradauate and get into a law school you are comfortable attending, who cares, right?

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:24 pm

pballer wrote:I was by no means singling you out. There have been a lot of "below x numbers = waitlist/reject" and I find it to be overly general. That's not to say that I think that my 2.4/167 is going to get accepted heh. WashU is my biggest reach and my #1 choice, but I don't remotely expect to be accepted.

I was just guessing their chances since I can't look at their entire application. of course they review every app, but at the end of the day it's a numbers game. everyone has great LORs, a polished PS, and impressive extracurriculars. that's just the way it is.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:25 pm

Is St. Louis a fun place to be a student?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:26 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Justathought wrote:To be honest, I have no idea how it all worked. My GPA was somewhere around that though through the first 81. I didn't retake any classes, my GPA was calculated both by my school and LSAC as 2.4.

Really can't tell you.

Hey, more power to you if you are graduating and were able to overcome a sub-par GPA prior to your last 39 credits. I just scratch my head, but, at the end of the day, as long as you gradauate and get into a law school you are comfortable attending, who cares, right?

Yep, I've actually had a fairly good cycle too. With some tier 1 acceptances and a slew of tier 2 schools. Obviously, I could have done this sort of thing back in the day, had I been a different kind of person. Honestly, getting a 4.0 in college was one of the easiest things I've ever done, and there is some sadness, because of course, I probably could have had my pick of schools if I done it through the entirety of my college career.

Oh well, no use thinking, "what could have been?"

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:35 pm

Justathought wrote:Yep, I've actually had a fairly good cycle too. With some tier 1 acceptances and a slew of tier 2 schools. Obviously, I could have done this sort of thing back in the day, had I been a different kind of person. Honestly, getting a 4.0 in college was one of the easiest things I've ever done, and there is some sadness, because of course, I probably could have had my pick of schools if I done it through the entirety of my college career.

No offense, but this epitomizes why the whole GPA/LSDAS GPA thing is a joke. Getting a 4.0 is easy at some schools, in some majors, but is incredibly difficult at other schools or in other majors. There is no way that a 4.0 at a mid range school with moderate to severe grade inflation in a "soft" major should count for much of anything. It certainly doesn't mean much in the real world when people are searching for employment.

kblueboi

Postby kblueboi » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:36 pm

kk19131 wrote:Is St. Louis a fun place to be a student?

http://www.faqs.org/shareranks/994,Highest-Murder-Rate-US-Cities

just saying ...

bbermud

Postby bbermud » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:36 pm

bdubs wrote:
Justathought wrote:Yep, I've actually had a fairly good cycle too. With some tier 1 acceptances and a slew of tier 2 schools. Obviously, I could have done this sort of thing back in the day, had I been a different kind of person. Honestly, getting a 4.0 in college was one of the easiest things I've ever done, and there is some sadness, because of course, I probably could have had my pick of schools if I done it through the entirety of my college career.

No offense, but this epitomizes why the whole GPA/LSDAS GPA thing is a joke. Getting a 4.0 is easy at some schools, in some majors, but is incredibly difficult at other schools or in other majors. There is no way that a 4.0 at a mid range school with moderate to severe grade inflation in a "soft" major should count for much of anything. It certainly doesn't mean much in the real world when people are searching for employment.

yeah and some people suck at exams....

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:38 pm

bdubs wrote:

The notion that GPA is more than trivially related to your ability to succeed academically is laughable when given the huge variations in difficulty/grading/inflation from school to school. ANYONE can get a ~3.75+ at hundreds of schools across the US if they put in enough time. Law school seems not to be the same.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:39 pm

bbermud wrote:
bdubs wrote:

yeah and some people suck at exams....

then they shouldn't be pursuing a higher education degree that is based almost entirely off exams, lulz.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:40 pm

bdubs wrote:

I agree. Though I think the average GPA at my school was around 3.13. I'm not sure if that means there is or isn't grade inflation by the way, just pointing it out.

I did major in an easy subject - English. I've always had to work much harder at math and science, though with the work I have done well. My school had this huge nano-science facility with accompanying major. I'm quite sure, had that been the path I chose to pursue, it would have been much harder for me to excel the way I did.

The system is what it is.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Justathought wrote:
bdubs wrote:

I agree. Though I think the average GPA at my school was around 3.13. I'm not sure if that means people there is or isn't grade inflation by the way, just pointing it out.

I did major in an easy subject - English. I've always had to work much harder at math and science, though with the work I have done well. My school had this huge nano-science facility with accompanying major. I'm quite sure, had that been the path I chose to pursue, it would have been much harder for me to excel the way I did.

Wasn't a comment about your school or major. Just that if you know you want to go to law school it is easy to game the admissions system, whereas those who weren't planning for a career in the law probably chose classes much more pragmatically and didn't fret as much over the difference between an A and A- are now forced to compensate.

The system is what it is, but doesn't have to be that way. See Stanford and Berkeley.
Last edited by bdubs on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:46 pm

kblueboi wrote:

just saying ...

If I go to WashU I'll get murdered?

Great. :?

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:48 pm

kk19131 wrote:
kblueboi wrote:

just saying ...

My UG is one of the most dangerous college campuses in the nation. Bring it on, St. Louis!

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:58 pm

kk19131 wrote:
kblueboi wrote:

just saying ...

wow DC is surprisingly low

sch0123

Postby sch0123 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:00 pm

bdubs wrote:
Justathought wrote:
bdubs wrote:

I agree. Though I think the average GPA at my school was around 3.13. I'm not sure if that means people there is or isn't grade inflation by the way, just pointing it out.

Wasn't a comment about your school or major. Just that if you know you want to go to law school it is easy to game the admissions system, whereas those who weren't planning for a career in the law probably chose classes much more pragmatically and didn't fret as much over the difference between an A and A- are now forced to compensate.

The system is what it is, but doesn't have to be that way. See Stanford and Berkeley.

I couldn't agree more. When I was heading to undergrad, I was under the impression that I was heading into the final four years of my formal education. I never even considered law school, and was thrilled when I got into a school that was ranked 5th overall in the country (at the time, 5 years ago). EVERYONE was INCREDIBLY intelligent, and thus it was more or less impossible to BS through classes like I know I could have at a lesser university. I did work hard, but that same effort would have certainly produced a 3.8 - 3.9 GPA elsewhere as opposed to the 3.3 I currently have to work with. It's an unfortunate flaw (and a major one at that) in the system.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:03 pm

bdubs wrote:
Justathought wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Wait, is your point here that Stanford and Berkeley are more forgiving when it comes to low GPA's?

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:06 pm

Magnolia wrote:Wait, is your point here that Stanford and Berkeley are more forgiving when it comes to low GPA's?

I was thinking the same thing. 2 notorious gpa whores.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:07 pm

bdubs wrote:
Justathought wrote:

Wait, is your point here that Stanford and Berkeley are more forgiving when it comes to low GPA's?

Yeah this confused me too. Certainly they are holistic, but they restrict those holistic looks to those that mean very strident (and IMO dumb) GPA guidelines.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:06 pm

splitmuch wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Justathought wrote:

Yeah this confused me too. Certainly they are holistic, but they restrict those holistic looks to those that mean very strident (and IMO dumb) GPA guidelines.

Stanford and Berkeley are some of the only schools that don't seem to be formulaic, I wasn't suggesting that they don't care about GPAs.

Although a high GPA doesn't seem to guarantee you anything at S (not so sure about B since I didn't really look into it very hard).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”