WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stratocophic

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby stratocophic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:09 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
law4vus wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on whether it will be significantly harder for a 167 splitter to get in compared to last year when nearly everyone on LSN with a 167 was admitted?

It looks like they are really trying to push for that 168 median, but I also heard they did something very similar last year before admitting many of the 167 applicants.

I'm a 167 splitter and having the same thoughts as you, and I'm still fairly optimistic. My reason is that I can't imagine WUSTL would suddenly be able to be more selective than they were last year. Maybe someone else knows this - how competitive is law school admission in general compared to last year? I saw that the number of October LSAT takers went down from last year, so unless there is some influx of applicants from somewhere else (reapplying after last year or something), I would imagine WUSTL is going to eventually accept us 167 splitters, just like they did last year, the year before that, and the year before that.
A void at 168 opened up when Vandy jumped to a 169 last year. If Vandy is now taking 169s who didn't get into the T14, who's left to take the 168s? Most were probably rejected by better schools and dispersed to pad the 75%s of T25s. Cornell's already at a 168, and 168 splitters aren't getting into Berkeley. Texas and UCLA hate splitters, and USC is only slightly more tolerant. At least 25% of WUSTL's class had a 168 last year - all they need is to substitute 25% (and likely less than that, probably closer to 15%) of the 167s with 168s and voila, 168 median. 168s with lower GPAs (3.5/3.6/3.7 and lower) have a ceiling, just like 167s with lower GPAs. WUSTL intends to vacuum them up with the allure of T18 PREFTIGE (maybe T17 next year, if the 168 median causes WUSTL to gain a point and break the tie with USC) and scholarships comparable to what they'd get at worse schools.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:11 pm

Shit I just read this "If we receive the completed financial aid forms on or before March 1, we will make every effort to notify you of scholarship and loan awards before the April 1 deadline for first deposit." I can't believe I fucked myself in terms of possible merit aid. Is scholly still possible? Fuck me, I thought it was just for need-based aid and direct federal loans. Fuck fuckety fuck.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:12 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:
law4vus wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on whether it will be significantly harder for a 167 splitter to get in compared to last year when nearly everyone on LSN with a 167 was admitted?

It looks like they are really trying to push for that 168 median, but I also heard they did something very similar last year before admitting many of the 167 applicants.

I'm a 167 splitter and having the same thoughts as you, and I'm still fairly optimistic. My reason is that I can't imagine WUSTL would suddenly be able to be more selective than they were last year. Maybe someone else knows this - how competitive is law school admission in general compared to last year? I saw that the number of October LSAT takers went down from last year, so unless there is some influx of applicants from somewhere else (reapplying after last year or something), I would imagine WUSTL is going to eventually accept us 167 splitters, just like they did last year, the year before that, and the year before that.
A void at 168 opened up when Vandy jumped to a 169 last year. If Vandy is now taking 169s who didn't get into the T14, who's left to take the 168s? Most were probably rejected by better schools and dispersed to pad the 75%s of T25s. Cornell's already at a 168, and 168 splitters aren't getting into Berkeley. Texas and UCLA hate splitters, and USC is only slightly more tolerant. At least 25% of WUSTL's class had a 168 last year - all they need is to substitute 25% (and likely less than that, probably closer to 15%) of the 167s with 168s and voila, 168 median. 168s with lower GPAs (3.5/3.6/3.7 and lower) have a ceiling, just like 167s with lower GPAs. WUSTL intends to vacuum them up with the allure of T18 PREFTIGE (maybe T17 next year, if the 168 median causes WUSTL to gain a point and break the tie with USC) and scholarships comparable to what they'd get at worse schools.

while almost all of this makes sense, wouldn't USC just become 19 and WUSTL would be the stand alone 18?

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:15 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Shit I just read this "If we receive the completed financial aid forms on or before March 1, we will make every effort to notify you of scholarship and loan awards before the April 1 deadline for first deposit." I can't believe I fucked myself in terms of possible merit aid. Is scholly still possible? Fuck me, I thought it was just for need-based aid and direct federal loans. Fuck fuckety fuck.

Cool out. I hope that your reading of that statement isn't indicative of your reading comp skills in general... because then how did you get into Wash U?

NOTIFY is the operative word there. They don't say anything about eligibility or availability or "you're fucked" -- just that they'll try and get back to you before you have to put down a deposit WHICH IS REFUNDABLE FOR A MONTH AFTER YOU PAY IT ANYWAY.

I swear to God TLS needs to take a collective dose of Xanax.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:17 pm

snichols16 wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Shit I just read this "If we receive the completed financial aid forms on or before March 1, we will make every effort to notify you of scholarship and loan awards before the April 1 deadline for first deposit." I can't believe I fucked myself in terms of possible merit aid. Is scholly still possible? Fuck me, I thought it was just for need-based aid and direct federal loans. Fuck fuckety fuck.

Cool out. I hope that your reading of that statement isn't indicative of your reading comp skills in general... because then how did you get into Wash U?

NOTIFY is the operative word there. They don't say anything about eligibility or availability or "you're fucked" -- just that they'll try and get back to you before you have to put down a deposit WHICH IS REFUNDABLE FOR A MONTH AFTER YOU PAY IT ANYWAY.

I NEED TO LATCH ONTO THINGS TO OBSESS/WORRY ABOUT

bbermud

Postby bbermud » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:18 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
snichols16 wrote:

I thought the same thing. Btw, these past four post made me smile. So thank you.

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:21 pm

snichols16 wrote:

You're killing your father, Larry.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:21 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:

while almost all of this makes sense, wouldn't USC just become 19 and WUSTL would be the stand alone 18?

Yes. If I could do math, I wouldn't be in law school.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:23 pm

Yeah, don't sweat it. People got scholarships despite getting admitted in like April last year. People withdraw, funds open up. NBD

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:40 pm

snichols16 wrote:
snichols16 wrote:

You're killing your father, Larry.

Have you ever heard of Vietnam?

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Just me and Charlie, man. Eyeball to eyeball. That's fuckin' combat.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:57 pm

snichols16 wrote:Just me and Charlie, man. Eyeball to eyeball. That's fuckin' combat.

A bunch of fig-eaters wearing towels on their heads, trying to find reverse in a Soviet tank. This is not a worthy adversary.

columbia86

Postby columbia86 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:36 pm

I updated to In Review 3/15; anyone else update today?

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:43 pm

columbia86 wrote:I updated to In Review 3/15; anyone else update today?

IR 3/14--->3/15

labballin24

Postby labballin24 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:48 pm

In Review 2/17- In Review 3/15

columbia86

Postby columbia86 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:50 pm

IR 3/14--->3/15

Sorry, I just caught up on the thread; I should have read before I posted.

Hopefully we will hear back soon.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:14 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Yeah, don't sweat it. People got scholarships despite getting admitted in like April last year. People withdraw, funds open up. NBD

I got admitted in early June and I still got a scholarship. Of course, I was hold-listed for a while because I applied with a February LSAT the day before the deadline.

Moral of the story --> get a good LSAT BEFORE February to save you from an extra 4 months of panic and worry.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:43 pm

Ir 3/14 ---- IR 3/15. 167/3.44. I want an acceptance + 25K and I will be there!!!

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:57 pm

SrLaw wrote:Ir 3/14 ---- IR 3/15. 167/3.44. I want an acceptance + 25K and I will be there!!!

We're not so different, you and I...very similar numbers and same exact review dates...I'll be watching you... :wink:

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:03 pm

I didn't get updated from 3/14 to 3/15. Does that mean they just took one look at my app and tossed it? :(

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:06 pm

law4vus wrote:I didn't get updated from 3/14 to 3/15. Does that mean they just took one look at my app and tossed it? :(

I've given up trying to parse the meaning of review date changes. I might as well go read tea leaves.

tinlawman

Postby tinlawman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:09 pm

Anybody here in review before they started going to the lower LSATs? Am I the only one above 168 that's going to get rejected :(?

bbermud

Postby bbermud » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:14 pm

im auto-reject. blast you WUSTL for toying with me and making me get me hopes up.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:17 pm

tinlawman wrote:Anybody here in review before they started going to the lower LSATs? Am I the only one above 168 that's going to get rejected :(?

I went IR 2/7 the first time, but I'm a URM, so take that as you will.
Also, I was pretty sure I was an auto-ding, but they changed my IR date to 3/3 and I'm still waiting, so I guess I'm not as auto-dingy as I thought I was.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:22 pm

SrLaw wrote:Ir 3/14 ---- IR 3/15. 167/3.44. I want an acceptance + 25K and I will be there!!!

We're not so different, you and I...very similar numbers and same exact review dates...I'll be watching you... :wink:

Numbers almost-twinsssssss (triplets?)! Too bad we're not IR date triplets, still at my second IR (3/10)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”