WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
betsyclaire
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:16 am

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby betsyclaire » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Just wondering, if you are not applying for the Webster Society, what is the highest level scholarship that WUSTL is giving out this year? 135k, or do they have a guaranteed full tuition scholarship like IU Bloomington? Anyone know?

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:51 pm

betsyclaire wrote:Just wondering, if you are not applying for the Webster Society, what is the highest level scholarship that WUSTL is giving out this year? 135k, or do they have a guaranteed full tuition scholarship like IU Bloomington? Anyone know?


Wouldn't 135k be full tuition?

username99
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby username99 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:16 pm

I started this thread back in October. I have yet to have my application reviewed by Wash U. This is just ridiculous. That's 5 months. Should I call or email them and say what's up? Or just let it go?

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby Perch » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:17 pm

username99 wrote:I started this thread back in October. I have yet to have my application reviewed by Wash U. This is just ridiculous. That's 5 months. Should I call or email them and say what's up? Or just let it go?


I would call and tell them you started the thread.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Perch wrote:
username99 wrote:I started this thread back in October. I have yet to have my application reviewed by Wash U. This is just ridiculous. That's 5 months. Should I call or email them and say what's up? Or just let it go?


I would call and tell them you started the thread.

:lol: +1

User avatar
KingRajesh
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby KingRajesh » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:53 pm

WashU just needs to hurry up and hit me with the ding. Applied in November, In review for 2 months...

I know it's coming. :(

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13525
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby Flips88 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:01 pm

username99 wrote:I started this thread back in October. I have yet to have my application reviewed by Wash U. This is just ridiculous. That's 5 months. Should I call or email them and say what's up? Or just let it go?

Submitted in early december. Still no UR. If it gets to later in March, I'm going to be super pissed

meepmeep123
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby meepmeep123 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:03 pm

applied end of october. this is getting ridiculous.

User avatar
simontemplar
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby simontemplar » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:28 pm

Admitted today! :D Does any scholarship offer typically come in the admission email? THanks!

User avatar
inchristalone
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 10:45 am

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby inchristalone » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:30 pm

simontemplar wrote:Admitted today! :D Does any scholarship offer typically come in the admission email? THanks!


No, it comes later.

Has anyone heard about the Webster Society schollies yet? Do we even know if they're reviewing those essays yet?

User avatar
soccerfreak
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 am

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby soccerfreak » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:18 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
betsyclaire wrote:Just wondering, if you are not applying for the Webster Society, what is the highest level scholarship that WUSTL is giving out this year? 135k, or do they have a guaranteed full tuition scholarship like IU Bloomington? Anyone know?


Wouldn't 135k be full tuition?

Right now it would be, but assuming they raise the tuition each year, it might not be a couple years from now.

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby RTFM » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:51 pm

username99 wrote:I started this thread back in October. I have yet to have my application reviewed by Wash U. This is just ridiculous. That's 5 months. Should I call or email them and say what's up? Or just let it go?


I only applied to WashU because my pre-law advisor thought that I'd get really good money there. I also applied in October... 5 months without even looking at an application is unacceptable. I might be totally off-base, but I think it could be indicative of how the administration treats students. There's basically nothing WashU could do at this point to make me want to go there.

/rant. Calling probably won't make you get reviewed any faster. But I'd be interested to see if they'll admit it's because you have a sub-168!

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:07 pm

RTFM wrote:I only applied to WashU because my pre-law advisor thought that I'd get really good money there. I also applied in October... 5 months without even looking at an application is unacceptable. I might be totally off-base, but I think it could be indicative of how the administration treats students. There's basically nothing WashU could do at this point to make me want to go there.

/rant. Calling probably won't make you get reviewed any faster. But I'd be interested to see if they'll admit it's because you have a sub-168!

Chill out, broski. I understand you are frustrated, but WUSTL probably has one of the nicest admissions offices in the country. Everyone from the deans to the staff is willing to bend over backwards for our students. Ask anyone who has attended an ASW or gone on a visit, and I'm sure they will agree. Our admissions peeps are great folks, so don't bash them. Also, you should have known WUSTL has no rolling admissions system, so I dunno why you're so shocked. And who chooses a school based on the admissions office?

I understand everyone gets frustrated, and I know a lot of you have been waiting for a while. But WUSTL has a system of choosing applicants that can take a long time for some people, and you just have to sit tight and be patient. I know it sucks, trust me I do. But they didn't lose your file, and they aren't just doing this out of pleasure. It is simply how their system works.

columbia86
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:59 am

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby columbia86 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:14 pm

simontemplar wrote:Admitted today! :D Does any scholarship offer typically come in the admission email? THanks!


When did you go in review?

Jeffro
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby Jeffro » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:27 pm

inchristalone wrote:Has anyone heard about the Webster Society schollies yet? Do we even know if they're reviewing those essays yet?
I was told by Admissions that "the Webster Society Scholarship is not usually determined until late March or April."

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby RTFM » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:16 pm

romothesavior wrote: And who chooses a school based on the admissions office?


They were never that high on my list to begin with. And we could debate the usefulness of the LSAT for hours, but I don't really want to go to a school that only cares about my LSAT score. I'm getting into better schools with my (not very) crappy score.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:23 pm

RTFM wrote:
romothesavior wrote: And who chooses a school based on the admissions office?


They were never that high on my list to begin with. And we could debate the usefulness of the LSAT for hours, but I don't really want to go to a school that only cares about my LSAT score. I'm getting into better schools with my (not very) crappy score.


congrats dude, but I think you have a very ignorant view of WUSTL.

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby RTFM » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:55 am

FuManChusco wrote:
RTFM wrote:
romothesavior wrote: And who chooses a school based on the admissions office?


They were never that high on my list to begin with. And we could debate the usefulness of the LSAT for hours, but I don't really want to go to a school that only cares about my LSAT score. I'm getting into better schools with my (not very) crappy score.


congrats dude, but I think you have a very ignorant view of WUSTL.


edit: Look, I'm not intending to be a douche and I'm sorry if I offended. But WashU has the clearest LSAT wall out of any school--if you have under a 3.8/167 they are not looking at your application right now, unless you are URM. Similar schools that I applied to at the exact same time looked past my numbers, and I personally appreciate that.

purplebulldogs
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:05 am

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby purplebulldogs » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:30 am

RTFM wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
RTFM wrote:
romothesavior wrote: And who chooses a school based on the admissions office?


They were never that high on my list to begin with. And we could debate the usefulness of the LSAT for hours, but I don't really want to go to a school that only cares about my LSAT score. I'm getting into better schools with my (not very) crappy score.


congrats dude, but I think you have a very ignorant view of WUSTL.


edit: Look, I'm not intending to be a douche and I'm sorry if I offended. But WashU has the clearest LSAT wall out of any school--if you have under a 3.8/167 they are not looking at your application right now, unless you are URM. Similar schools that I applied to at the exact same time looked past my numbers, and I personally appreciate that.


uh... can't you say the same thing about almost every T20 school?

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby JCougar » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:10 am

RTFM wrote:edit: Look, I'm not intending to be a douche and I'm sorry if I offended. But WashU has the clearest LSAT wall out of any school--if you have under a 3.8/167 they are not looking at your application right now, unless you are URM. Similar schools that I applied to at the exact same time looked past my numbers, and I personally appreciate that.


They probably didn't look past your numbers as much as you think. A lot of schools simply have a weighted algorithm where they plug in your GPA and LSAT score and out pops an index number. It makes it seem like the school "considers everything," but really all they care about is the numbers.

Any school that gets 5,000 applications a year doesn't have time to read 10,000 letters of recommendation (all of which say "this is the smartest, best applicant evar") and pick out people with slightly more praising letters and actually have that mean that you're a better applicant. Then they have to read 5,000 personal statements, half of which have been professionally edited by someone else...

Numbers at all schools are probably about 85% of the decision. Softs help you only if you are on the fence (unless you are some very exceptional case). Some schools decide to weight one number more than the other. With WUSTL, they like LSAT, because it's easier to sell their class to prospective employers (and it's a better predictor of law school success).

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:56 am

+1 to jcougar. Soft factors are just that: they're soft. For 90%+ of people, softs don't make up for your GPA/LSAT. They certainly do their best to take a variety of factors into account, but at the same time, WUSTL has a very systematic way of going through applicants. They certainly try to look at people's experiences, LORs, addendums, etc., but they have so much volume, they have to use numbers to differentiate. They like the LSAT. IMO, BFD. We still have a 3.7 GPA median, so obviously we aren't that LSAT-oriented.

Plenty of people will get in with sub-168/3.8. They just typically come later in the game, that's all. I wouldn't be surprised if WUSTL is very consciously trying to raise the LSAT median this year, so I don't think this should come as a surprise to anybody. I personally am not a fan of the non-rolling admissions so I feel everybody's pain, but it is what it is, so just be patient. Last year, a lot of people were freaking out and getting mad too, but then they got an acceptance and scholarship and all that frustration floated away. :lol:

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby chrisbru » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:48 pm

RTFM wrote:
edit: Look, I'm not intending to be a douche and I'm sorry if I offended. But WashU has the clearest LSAT wall out of any school--if you have under a 3.8/167 they are not looking at your application right now, unless you are URM. Similar schools that I applied to at the exact same time looked past my numbers, and I personally appreciate that.


In this case, your honor, intent is not the issue. All evidence points to the result, which is, of course...

douche.

Just get out of this thread that's intended to be helpful to people that WANT to go to WUSTL, and enjoy having your JD churned out from Georgetown or one of the other "better" schools you went to. The midwest wouldn't appreciate your pretentiousness anyway.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby kk19131 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:08 pm

So, does Wash U offer need-based aid? What was the point of that aid application?

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby splitmuch » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:17 pm

kk19131 wrote:So, does Wash U offer need-based aid? What was the point of that aid application?



Institutional loans I think

User avatar
ktg808
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby ktg808 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:29 pm

simontemplar wrote:Admitted today! :D Does any scholarship offer typically come in the admission email? THanks!


Congrats! is SMU still high on your list?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], tinafeyclone and 4 guests