WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:03 pm

bdubs wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:Based on all the numbers and scholarship offers I'm seeing, it looks like WUSTl is being sort of holistic in its offers, no? (or something, anyway) Higher offers for some than for others with significantly better numbers.


My speculation is they are trying to allocate dollars to those most likely to attend (big schollys for just over both medians).

This is almost certainly true, based on what I've seen so far this year (and last year). For those of you disappointed with your offers: if you really want to go to WUSTL, then you should contact admissions and convey to them your strong desire to attend. Tell them you appreciate the scholarship, but tell them it is currently not competitive with your other offers. The worst they can say is no, in which case you can always withdraw and attend elsewhere.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby bdubs » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:Based on all the numbers and scholarship offers I'm seeing, it looks like WUSTl is being sort of holistic in its offers, no? (or something, anyway) Higher offers for some than for others with significantly better numbers.


My speculation is they are trying to allocate dollars to those most likely to attend (big schollys for just over both medians).

This is almost certainly true, based on what I've seen so far this year (and last year). For those of you disappointed with your offers: if you really want to go to WUSTL, then you should contact admissions and convey to them your strong desire to attend. Tell them you appreciate the scholarship, but tell them it is currently not competitive with your other offers. The worst they can say is no, in which case you can always withdraw and attend elsewhere.


Would you wait until after you have scholarship offers in hand from other schools, or just request now with higher ranked admissions but no $$$?

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby MissLucky » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:24 pm

$84,000 non-contingent SIL award here

User avatar
awahoya
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:57 am

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby awahoya » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:33 pm

MissLucky wrote:$84,000 non-contingent SIL award here


+1

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby Cade McNown » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:38 pm

I've got numbers and qualifications similar to those receiving scholarships but I applied late. I only just went complete last week, so am I shit out of luck for $$? Please tell me the well won't necessarily be run dry.

damage-inc
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:39 am

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby damage-inc » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:11 am

114,000 for 3.9/167 here

my insecurities about WUSTL just went far far away. Very pleased and loving the way WUSTL has been with me this cycle

User avatar
Haliburton
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:14 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby Haliburton » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:26 am

damage-inc wrote:114,000 for 3.9/167 here

my insecurities about WUSTL just went far far away. Very pleased and loving the way WUSTL has been with me this cycle


Numbers twin. Same offer. Very pleased as well!

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:43 am

Holy cats. I just got that same $84,000 non-contingent "Scholars in Law" scholly. I wasn't expecting this at all. People told me that WUSTL was a splitter-friendly school, but... wow.

Meanwhile, the only other school to accept me at all thus far has been Seattle University.
Last edited by Adjudicator on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tullstone
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:00 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby Tullstone » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:49 am

Now that you guys get scholarships, its time to look at people 2 pts below median! yay!

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby Verity » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:25 am

Adjudicator wrote:Meanwhile, the only other school to accept me at all thus far has been Seattle University.



WTF? I know sub-2.3 splitters who got close to full-rides at T25 schools. Where'd you apply?

User avatar
SisyphusHappy
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby SisyphusHappy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:28 am

$129,000 with a 169/3.9

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:30 am

Verity wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:Meanwhile, the only other school to accept me at all thus far has been Seattle University.



WTF? I know sub-2.3 splitters who got close to full-rides at T25 schools. Where'd you apply?


UVA, W&L, Northwestern, Minnesota, William & Mary, UCLA, Columbia (lol, what's taking so long CLS? Drop the hammer on me already), and University of Washington.

Dinged at UVA and NU, waitlisted at W&L and Minnesota, haven't heard from any of the others yet.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13563
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby Flips88 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:33 am

Adjudicator wrote:
Verity wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:Meanwhile, the only other school to accept me at all thus far has been Seattle University.



WTF? I know sub-2.3 splitters who got close to full-rides at T25 schools. Where'd you apply?


UVA, W&L, Northwestern, Minnesota, William & Mary, UCLA, Columbia (lol, what's taking so long CLS? Drop the hammer on me already), and University of Washington.

Dinged at UVA and NU, waitlisted at W&L and Minnesota, haven't heard from any of the others yet.


I have to think W&L or Minnesota are YP. Did you write any LOCIs after that?

Tullstone
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:00 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby Tullstone » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:34 am

Adjudicator wrote:
Verity wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:Meanwhile, the only other school to accept me at all thus far has been Seattle University.



WTF? I know sub-2.3 splitters who got close to full-rides at T25 schools. Where'd you apply?


UVA, W&L, Northwestern, Minnesota, William & Mary, UCLA, Columbia (lol, what's taking so long CLS? Drop the hammer on me already), and University of Washington.

Dinged at UVA and NU, waitlisted at W&L and Minnesota, haven't heard from any of the others yet.


Waitlisted at W&L?!

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:35 am

3.0/175

Tullstone
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:00 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby Tullstone » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:35 am

hmm... wow!! GJ!

LSATurday
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:23 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby LSATurday » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:01 am

Adjudicator wrote:3.0/175


stupid minnesota. WL me too. why do they hate us with good LSATs?

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:12 am

LSATurday wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:3.0/175


stupid minnesota. WL me too. why do they hate us with good LSATs?


It really does seem to be true. Perhaps they have an inferiority complex?

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:18 am

135k offer. I'm just concerned that WUSTL would limit me to STL. I have a cousin who graduated top 20% there 5 or 6 years ago and landed NYC Biglaw. Unfortunately, that was then, this is now. A 3L sent me an obligatory email, and when I asked him about NYC, he said that it was not a realistic goal. Oh the pre-recession days....

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby Hannibal » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:27 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:135k offer. I'm just concerned that WUSTL would limit me to STL. I have a cousin who graduated top 20% there 5 or 6 years ago and landed NYC Biglaw. Unfortunately, that was then, this is now. A 3L sent me an obligatory email, and when I asked him about NYC, he said that it was not a realistic goal. Oh the pre-recession days....


Keep in mind that by the time our class hits OCI, ITE might not be an issue. The people I talked to (associates, partners at midlaw and biglaw firms) said that the Class of 2014 might be timing it perfectly, since we'll be in the position to be swept up by all the firms that underhired.

WUSTL's biggest placement area is Chicago regardless.

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:29 am

Hannibal wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:135k offer. I'm just concerned that WUSTL would limit me to STL. I have a cousin who graduated top 20% there 5 or 6 years ago and landed NYC Biglaw. Unfortunately, that was then, this is now. A 3L sent me an obligatory email, and when I asked him about NYC, he said that it was not a realistic goal. Oh the pre-recession days....


Keep in mind that by the time our class hits OCI, ITE might not be an issue. The people I talked to (associates, partners at midlaw and biglaw firms) said that the Class of 2014 might be timing it perfectly, since we'll be in the position to be swept up by all the firms that underhired.

WUSTL's biggest placement area is Chicago regardless.


Very true. But a hell of a risk on which to bet your career. Does anybody have info about Chicago biglaw, preferably for the class of 2009?
Last edited by gbpackerbacker on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby Verity » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:31 am

Adjudicator wrote:
Verity wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:Meanwhile, the only other school to accept me at all thus far has been Seattle University.



WTF? I know sub-2.3 splitters who got close to full-rides at T25 schools. Where'd you apply?


UVA, W&L, Northwestern, Minnesota, William & Mary, UCLA, Columbia (lol, what's taking so long CLS? Drop the hammer on me already), and University of Washington.

Dinged at UVA and NU, waitlisted at W&L and Minnesota, haven't heard from any of the others yet.


NU is a surprise, unless you have little to no WE. But yeah, I know a 169/2.35 that got 60K at Minnesota; they've found their target LSAT zone and are YPing like crazy. They must have had yield issues last cycle. W&L is tough on GPA. You should consider UIUC, IU-B, Vandy, GTown and Cornell. May be a little late, but I'd bet serious money that you'd get into at least one (unless you have a record or something).

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby JCougar » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:49 am

Wow. Looks like had I waited until this year, I would have gotten double the scholarship money (of course, I would have paid $30K just to quit my horrible job a year early, so I guess it evens out). Get it while the gettin's hot, folks.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:51 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:135k offer. I'm just concerned that WUSTL would limit me to STL. I have a cousin who graduated top 20% there 5 or 6 years ago and landed NYC Biglaw. Unfortunately, that was then, this is now. A 3L sent me an obligatory email, and when I asked him about NYC, he said that it was not a realistic goal. Oh the pre-recession days....


Keep in mind that by the time our class hits OCI, ITE might not be an issue. The people I talked to (associates, partners at midlaw and biglaw firms) said that the Class of 2014 might be timing it perfectly, since we'll be in the position to be swept up by all the firms that underhired.

WUSTL's biggest placement area is Chicago regardless.


Very true. But a hell of a risk on which to bet your career. Does anybody have info about Chicago biglaw, preferably for the class of 2009?


This is relevant to my interests.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Postby dpk711 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:07 am

Wow, just received my scholly via email (midnight PST), $84,000...
this may be a game changer...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ashrice13, joezze, MSNbot Media, patrickkpaul, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests